Advanced Technology Services Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Jeff Owens

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "IT Solutions Engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL

I worked at Advanced Technology Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

ATS is a great company to work for. The people are the best and work to be the "best in class" Very good benefits and good opportunity for advancement.

Cons

As a services company, the client can cancel the service contracts which can lead to unemployment. However the company always works to fill new positions as then can with these employees.

Advice to Management

None.

2. "Warehouse worker"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL

I worked at Advanced Technology Services (More than a year)

Pros

good placement , good communication, good pay

Cons

hours shifted, not consistent with hours

"Trash"

Former Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Advanced Technology Services (Less than a year)

Pros

There are no pros working for this company

Cons

The problem is that these guys are slaves to Caterpillar. Caterpillar employees and contractors are demanding and having to fulfill even the most stupid request like setting up an Outlook email even though CAT uses Lotus Notes is mind boggling. In addition the upper management isn't helpful at all and all they do is tell you to look at the documents for certain problems.

Terrible company, terrible management and they've fired new employees because they didn't meet their ridiculous standards

"Complete disconnect between management and employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL

I have been working at Advanced Technology Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free popcorn on payday. Consistent and reliable work if you don't care about advancement. Immediate supervisors are (usually) good people.
    No expectations to stay late or work from home, but there are overtime opportunities (though mostly due to understaffing.) Full-time employment (if you can get it) has acceptable benefits and decent vacation.

Cons

Upper management shows absolutely zero value for the low level employee, beyond a simple headcount. Department policies have only gotten more and more strict over the years. When I started, the employee was valued as a contributing part of the organization. Our ideas had value, and we felt like our voices were being heard. Shortly into my employment, a program was implemented to monitor employee activity down to the minute, and any deviation from your daily schedule was grounds for an interrogation about your activity. We now have no agency or autonomy to determine our own work priorities. Turnover is astronomical as employees burn out and get frustrated with restrictive policies. Customers have noticed the backlash as we continue to bring on low-quality contractors and the long-time pros pick up and leave for better opportunities. We're losing revenue and the solution is to crack down on any activity that doesn't have a contractual SLA attached. The employees that remain are expected to pick up the work of 2-3 people each, instead of filling the gap when someone leaves.

Pay is below industry standard. Raises this year were deferred 5 months. Advancement is nonexistent. Management just hires managers from other departments, and hire technical roles from outside. Employees are frustrated, customers are frustrated, and management has its head in the sand, offering the same excuses about budget and revenue in lieu of actually engaging with the real problems.

New employees try to voice the same complaints that we've had for years, and by now we just shrug and say "deal with it" because we know the argument is not going anywhere. The apathy at the employee level stifles any possible productivity or creativity.

Advice to Management

Strip the excess. Remove the time-tracking department as a whole and rebuild with a system that is beneficial for the customer AND the employee. This organization is totally top-heavy and employees are forced to follow conflicting policies from managerial departments that are all trying to be in charge. Single out the people that cause conflict and get rid of them. Promote a culture that lets us focus on the customer instead of getting micromanaged by people who have no grasp on the actual requirements of the job.

"Weak mananagment..no spines .liars CAT puppets"

Former Employee - Site Supervisor in East Peoria, IL
    Former Employee - Site Supervisor in East Peoria, IL

I worked at Advanced Technology Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice uniforms..some training to select few. Anti union

Cons

Lies from manager. They put CAT before employees ..dont set up fake interviews . Not veteran friendly

Advice to Management

Stop lying....show some backbone to cat...where are all the people you laid off..
    Gotta reapply for job????? For less money.

Advanced Technology Services Response

Jun 2, 2017 – Director of Employee Communications

It is disappointing to see this review. As a veteran, I do not share those same feelings. We'd like to understand the situation that made you feel this way. Rob Carbone, our GM of the Caterpillar... More

"Maintenance Tech"

Current Employee - Senior Maintenance Technician in East Peoria, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Maintenance Technician in East Peoria, IL

I have been working at Advanced Technology Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

great company. very focused on safety and development, growing fast

Cons

small annual wage increases, poor turnover

"Maintenance"

Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Water Valley, MS
    Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Water Valley, MS

Pros

Great pay and benefits! Alot of experience gained here.

Cons

No position to move up in the company!

"Nebraska"

Former Employee - Industrial Maintenance Technician in Hastings, NE
    Former Employee - Industrial Maintenance Technician in Hastings, NE

I worked at Advanced Technology Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the type of work you do at the job

Cons

There is no moving up the latter to get a better job and also no diversity

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees because no one likes how the company in eaton is ran

"Good concept bad implementation"

Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Newbern, TN
    Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Newbern, TN

Pros

Safety Focused
    Average Pay for the area

Cons

Tries to downsize the maintenance crew to much.
    Internal politics and politics between the company and customer is a constant head ach for the tech.
    Pay raise system is lacking. Every year a new reason is made for delaying the process. When you do get a race it is usually between 1 to 1.5% but can easily be lower if you miss a goal. Max is 3% but you must greatly exceed all expectation to achieve this.
    Benefits are below average and often changed so much that the employees are often unable to use them effectively.
    Management is on approximately a max 4 year rotation, which means that you constantly have new managers running the show.
    Management doesn't understand the business they run. Because of this they underbid projects and often miss quote statistics needed by magnitudes.
    They ask for advice for setting goals for projects but never use that information to make their quotes accurate.
    They like to lean heavily on those who perform and push them to exhaustion rather than push those who are not performing well.
    Push to do the same % of cost savings year after year. The problem is after more than 10 years this starts to cut into money needed to support systems correctly and machines end up having to be "rigged" to work because money is not available for the parts needed to repair it correctly.

Advice to Management

Learn more about how to do and follow machine failure analysis,
    Trust your teams input on how long jobs take and there approximate costs, don't undercut them but 1/10 of what they say.
    Focus on Return of Investment on equipment not just constantly reducing the budget.

"Company switching business model from premier service to lowest cost solution"

Former Employee - Test Engineer in Mossville, IL
    Former Employee - Test Engineer in Mossville, IL

I worked at Advanced Technology Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible. Very safety oriented. Decent benefits.

Cons

Treated as disposable labor. Management unwilling to keep employees informed.

Advice to Management

Go back to your roots of providing the best service and talent.