Alion Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Steve Schorer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper Management doesn't appreciate the fact there is life outside Alion (in 20 reviews)

• Was an employee owned company, then they wanted to go IPO, then some venture capital firm gobbled them up (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"ALION REVIEW"

I have been working at Alion full-time

Pros

Professional atmosphere, Advancement opportunities, Technology

Cons

I do not have any CONS so far to report at ALION.

Advice to Management

Management continues to apply process improvement into their daily activities.

Jun 29, 2017 – Sr Sourcer

Thank you for your feedback, we greatly appreciate your time and willingness to provide it. Your contribution to the team and organization is valued.

2. "Pretty Good"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Alion full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great manager! Flexible work hours and you are able to work from home. Benefits seem better than some I have seen.

Cons

It is a government contractor so you have to deal with some of the DOD training and such.

Sep 4, 2017 – Talent and Acquisition

Alion promotes a healthy Work Life Balance to all team members. Some employees are able to enjoy the benefit of working from home, if their position requirements permit it. Thank you for being a part... More

3. "Going Downhill"

Former Employee - Associate Program Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Associate Program Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at Alion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Plenty of job opportunities, partially due to constant turnover. Depending on the contract you're working on, there can be a lot of flexibility with telework and leave.

Cons

Salaries are very low compared to other contractors. Constant turnover at lower and upper levels creates a sense of uncertainty and a lack of consistency. Raises and bonuses are all but nonexistent for lower and mid-level staff. Benefits are very basic, and most other contractors offer better.

The company grew too big too quickly, but has lost many of the contracts that they formerly held, and has gotten smaller. They have replaced their CEO and CFO in the last few months, but I'm not sure how much water they'll really be able to remove from this sinking ship.

Sep 18, 2017 – Talent and Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback. Alion is thriving as an organization, and will have a few periods of adjustment, which is expected with a new CEO. However, growth is a sign of prosperity and we look... More

4. "Room for opportunity, but management can be difficult"

I have been working at Alion full-time

Pros

The amount o f experience and knowledge in the company is amazing. The benefits are decent.

Cons

Management tends to let personal feelings bleed into professional decisions. High employee turnover and vacation is somewhat lagging in comparison to other companies of the same magnitude.

Advice to Management

Better efforts need to be made for employee retention. OTJ is pivotal in this type of environment but that is rarely the case with Alion.

Sep 18, 2017 – Talent and Acquisition

Thank you for your response. We would like to help with building a better relationship with you and management. Please reach out to us at hr@alionscience.com

5. "Great capabilities, lacks direction"

I worked at Alion full-time

Pros

Great technical talent, dedicated to customers

Cons

Lack of communication from the top, no clear vision for future.

Advice to Management

Decide what company is going to do well, then put your energy toward that.

Sep 18, 2017 – Talent and Acquisition

Alion is taking the necessary steps to ensure all of our team members receive communication from our management staff; we have an updated communication plan that will be much more clear and inclusive.

6. "Test Engineer"

Current Employee - Test Engineer in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Test Engineer in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Alion full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers, sympathetic to veterans since most employees and supervisors are veterans themselves, working hours flexible, benefits are ok

Cons

Limited ability to keep employees on overhead while not actively assigned to a customer's contract, though they try to place you back on a contract reasonably soon.

Aug 22, 2017 – Talent and Acquisition

Alion makes every effort to transition project based team members to another project if there is one available. We value our employees greatly. Thank you for your feedback.

7. "Not good"

I worked at Alion full-time

Pros

Nothing to mention and not looking good

Cons

Corporate Controller
    Salary
    Benefits
    Work life balance

Advice to Management

Recognize the weakness of the corporate controller

Sep 18, 2017 – Talent and Acquisition

It is very unfortunate to hear of your dissatisfaction with our compensation package. We offer a full package that is in line with the current market. Thank you for your feedback.

8. "Big Company, Small Group"

Current Employee - Nuclear Engineer in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Nuclear Engineer in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Alion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I work in a very small sector of this company, there are about 15 people in my office. For the most part we are all young engineers and have a great time together. The work that we do is important and I am happy to be a part of this team.

Cons

There is not a ton of room for me to move up and by glassdoor standards I'm under-compensated by about 10k/yr. Makes this a good "foot in the door" kind of job but probably not a forever job.

Aug 10, 2017 – Talent and Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback. We strongly encourage team members to have open conversation with their manager regarding career paths. They may have information, that possibly can help you with... More

9. "Great People!!! Needs Stability"

I worked at Alion full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people doing great work in support of our men and women in the military.

New senior leadership with a vision will help get Alion poised for growth.

Excellent pay and benefits and a culture that understands the importance of employee development.

Cons

Frequent lay offs seem to be the answer to solving financial challenges, yet corporate leadership had been resistant to changing the behaviors that led to the financial challenges in the first place.

Stability has been an issue for years. New senior leadership will hopefully bring about some much needed change and direction and get the company healthy again. Being owned by a private equity company, however, there is always the risk of the PE company deciding to sell...which brings the stability issue back to front and center.

Aug 22, 2017 – Talent and Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback. We are looking forward to the changes on the horizon that our new CEO has planned for Alion.

10. "no increase"

I have been working at Alion full-time

Pros

good environment, working relationships are nice,

Cons

no room for growth, lay offs, lay offs lay offs

Aug 10, 2017 – Talent and Acquisition

Alion is a government contractor, that has a great majority of project based work.; this is an industry standard that we are unable to control. We sincerely appreciate your candor and feedback.