Analysis Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Analysis Group President & CEO Martha S. Samuelson
Martha S. Samuelson

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance is tough but it comes with the territory (in 36 reviews)

• Long hours, lack of advancement (in 22 reviews)

1. "Great Place for PhD"

Current Employee - Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at Analysis Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work is very interesting and complex (in a good sense). I see many useful applications of my PhD training to real-world cases.

Cons

Nothing about AG in particular. The workload may be unpredictable at times, but this is a general characteristic of the consulting industry.

Advice to Management

AG is a great place to work because of your hard work.

"Big firm with small firm vibe"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Analysis Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, work culture, smart and collaborative people. You can wear jeans all week!

Cons

Experience depends largely on who your supervisor is, management can sometimes be slow to act

3. "Can be a great experience"

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Boston, MA

I worked at Analysis Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of smart people and good variety of case work.

Cons

It's easy to get stuck with cases that drag on for years and frequently require grueling hours. Also, it's easy to end up with a lack of variety of case work. There is a strong culture of nepotism at the firm which I found discouraging.

Advice to Management

Try to staff such that analysts have lighter work weeks between excruciating deadlines. The non-managed labor market for analysts can mean that some analysts never get to work on the cases they might have liked to.

5. "Great place to start"

Current Employee - Analyst in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Analyst in Denver, CO

I have been working at Analysis Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Familial environment with no internal labor market used in the Boston office; interesting case works that do not force one to specialize.

Cons

Relatively large peaks and troughs in terms of the working hours; the need to work overtime given in a relatively short notice.

Advice to Management

Senior-level workers (managers and up) were often stretched way too thin, and it became evident that some of them were stressed. Consider distributing the workload more evenly or take less case depending on the situation.

"Decent place to work"

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Analysis Group (More than a year)

Pros

Great foundation for health economics and outcomes research. You will learn a lot.

Cons

Limited upward mobility without an advanced degree. Analyses/projects can get somewhat repetitive.

Advice to Management

Just because someone doesn't have a PhD doesn't mean they can't learn and be very effective at their job.

"Let's Be Real"

I have been working at Analysis Group full-time

Pros

Coolers with free drinks of all kinds, and tons of free snacks.
    Nice office and good powerful flushing toilets.
    Nice people.

Cons

Much of company's work involves working for investment banks (Wall Street crooks) and big pharma (drug price gougers). A recent case involves defending a paint company whose lead paint affected kids' health. I guess it is a way to make a living. Just don't think too much about who we are defending.

8. "Analyst"

Current Employee - Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Analysis Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Non-competitive work environment and approachable management.

Cons

Can be longish hours but is cyclical.

Advice to Management

None

"Great first job out of college"

Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Analysis Group (More than a year)

Pros

A great first-job after college or grad school! AG provides a ton of training and support to Junior Staff. It's a great culture of really smart, fun, hard-working people. The projects are interesting and collaborative. The benefits are relevant to recent grads and it's a generous salary compared to typical research assistant positions that require similar skill sets. Work-life balance is good, especially compared to peers working in similarly quantitative positions in NYC.

Cons

As is typical with most professional services positions, the amount of work ebbs and flows. Sometimes the hours are long if you are juggling multiple projects, but this is offset by other times of lighter loads. If you enjoy this type of work, even the long hours don't seem unmanageable, and there is an adviser system to make sure no one feels perpetually overwhelmed and/or they are getting enough work.

Advice to Management

Recruiting is really effective in getting highly qualified individuals and I encourage them to continue to find individuals that fit the collaborative culture. Overall, I am a big fan of the ideals the senior staff promotes, even if I don't have a ton of direct contact with them.

"Awesome place to start or build a career. Not for everyone? Sure."

Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Analysis Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Internally, have done a great job over many years of consistently hiring smart, interesting, multi-dimensional, kind people.

Junior staff have designed training programs (both on analytical software and more generally) that are tailored to our work and provide a fantastic foundation for those working their first job out of college. Culture is built on junior staff delivering those training programs and otherwise making big contributions outside of casework by mentoring, recruiting, and so on. Firm has grown steadily but is still small enough (and style of management has remained loose enough) that new ideas from anyone can get traction. As an example, support for those applying to grad school is something that grew organically from a culture in which senior staff were happy to write recommendations and advise on essays to a formal workshop in which people invest a ton of time.

Externally, clients come to us with problems they can’t solve themselves or know little about, and we get to invent the research and analytical methods to tackle those problems, often working with top-tier academic experts along the way. Long-term relationships with law firms and companies that rely on not only our data-crunching but also our expertise and advice. Compared to other types of consulting, because we’re often looking backward, we get to work with much more hard/big data. This builds skills that, for those who don’t make a career here, are increasingly sought after on the market.

Cons

Some cons are true of any client work: somewhat unpredictable demand, and sometimes having to give in on decisions you disagree with.

Some cons cited in other reviews are pros for me, but remind me that this place isn’t for everyone, and that’s OK. I enjoy working with detailed data -- playing around in a spreadsheet or catching a calculation error by an opposing expert is fun for me. If you don’t feel that way, or you’re not the kind of person who cares about getting the (perhaps unimportant) details right, or you want a guaranteed 9-to-5, you won’t be happy here. (That said, lack of travel compared to other consulting is the reason so many people can continue here long-term knowing they’ll see their families for dinner on a near-daily basis. Late nights, when they happen, are a result of case needs and not of face-time expectations.)

Flexible/employee-driven staffing model gives much more initiative and can lead to fantastic outcomes that a top-down staffing model couldn’t achieve (e.g., a bunch of people volunteering to pitch in at a deadline, and some of them discovering a new practice area they continue to work in). On the other hand, though there is a system of support for those who need help with staffing, those who are prone to anxiety under uncertainty or for whom some choice just makes the grass seem greener on other cases will see the drawbacks and not the benefits.

More holistic employee evaluations, without a fixed formula for compensation, are to me a huge pro -- the alternative would create pernicious incentives around billing and hurt the culture of helping each other out -- but for others a frustration in terms of the time commitment and level of qualitative judgment involved.

Advice to Management

I'm not a partner, nor was I asked to write this review. After reading what’s here I was motivated to give some balance between the perspective of the many happy people who have made long-term careers at AG vs. those for whom it doesn’t work out and who post disgruntled reviews upon leaving. The firm should listen to and learn as much as it can from the latter group, but as in the “cons” section above should keep in mind that some of the characteristics that are common complaints among those who are unhappy are the very same characteristics that make others happy.

"For those reading these reviews..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Analysis Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

...you *do* realize that anything above 2 stars is a review written by either a partner who is part of the culture perpetuating their problems or else by a current employee who feels their job is on the line if they don't say something positive, right?

Cons

You probably don't want to work for a company that lives and dies by Glassdoor reviews, to the point of writing fake ones to get a better rating, but does nothing to address the actual issues.

Advice to Management

Why bother giving "advice to management" - it would fall on the deafest of ears. They literally think they can do no wrong, which is mind boggling when you consider just how many former employees could sue the pants off of you for a myriad of issues.