Anna's Linens Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Alan Gladstone

Pros
  • 8 an hour and we get 20% employee discount on all non sale items (in 7 reviews)

• Family oriented company, Great people to work for (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor upper management, tried to expand to fast, didn't listen to their employees, always changing their mind on what needed to be done (in 14 reviews)

• Customer service was very poor some times (in 11 reviews)

1. "Anna's Linens team associate"

Former Employee - Cashier in El Centro, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in El Centro, CA

I worked at Anna's Linens (More than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, great team work....All around great place to work.

Cons

They shut the El Centro store down.

2. "Avoid"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Clovis, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Clovis, CA

Pros

Setting up displays was probably the only pro.

Cons

They don't offer much hours and they don't care about their employees.

3. "Bankruptcy"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Anna's Linens full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Anna's Linens was a good place to work, with lots of creative outlet doing displays. The trips to Las Vegas were great.

Cons

The company tried to grow too fast, and spent undo cash on things that could have been downsized to help save funds.

5. "Anna's Linens"

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Silver Spring, MD

Pros

Fun job, much like a decorating position, with sales added. Lots of customer interaction, an overall good experience, most of the time.

Cons

Not enough security, leaves you very vulnerable to thieves, and personal harm, with not enough people to realy run a shift, in such a large store. Left several of us women in a store open with no lights on, after a big storm, in a mall with no other stores open, and a group of about 25- 30 guys roaming around in the dark, going from store to store stealing. Horrible experience at that point.

Advice to Management

Cover your employees more, better decisions in these instances, where someone could be hurt badly or even killed. We felt threatened and were forced to work in a store when all the other stores closed, and we were left unprotected and vulnerable.

6. "Out of business"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Anna's Linens part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

they train you very well

Cons

you have to be flexible with your schedule or pretty much not interested in hiring you

7. "Long overdue"

Former Employee - Department Supervisor in Newnan, GA
    Former Employee - Department Supervisor in Newnan, GA

I worked at Anna's Linens part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

literally any other retail job would be an improvement. There's a 20 word minimum so here word word word word

Cons

Deliveries every week were terrible because it is usually one or two people doing it and we didn't have a loading or unloading dock we don't even have an awning so the truck parks maybe 10 feet from the back door and you have to take everything off of the truck after the truck driver brings it to the end you have to take it off the tail of the truck and bring it inside the store and usually had a bring it all to the sales floor because the stock room, which was way too small for the kind of merchandise the store carries, was already always full of pillow boxes so you had to take 60 huge comforter boxes to the sales floor and line the back wall with them and block customers access to some merchandise. Then you have to open all these big boxes on the sales floor in the way and make a great big mess and then you have to top stock them probably by yourself because the other one other person there is on register and when you're top stocking them you have to take this 5 to 15 pound bulky comforter up a narrow rickety ladder and no matter how neat you stack them on top of the store fixtures it still looks tacky and like we're some bargain buyout store. Soooo unsafe. And they always sent way too much merchandise and it's never what's on sale, sale items often come after the sale is over and when something is featured on the front of the ad they'll send like two of each size two months in advance and tell you to hold it in the stockroom (which is tiny and full of pillow boxes, remember) so they don't sell before the ad starts. They should have let the ordering come from the store rather than either a faulty automated system or some idiot who didn't take into account current inventory or the square footage of the store it's sending stuff to. But then they would have to hire more competent people and pay them adequately to keep them from leaving at the first chance they got.

And they have the audacity to tell us, when it's you by yourself, that customers should be your main focus despite having a hoard of merchandise to move out of the way so customers can actually shop and on top of that you have a script to talk to the customers. "what room are you decorating?" who would actually say that?? I understand it's important to sell to customers but when most of the comforter sets are crap quality and unfashionable it's difficult and you feel like you're twisting their arm trying to convince them to buy something you don't even think looks nice and then they just end up returning it anyway. The sheets were really inconsistent, some times 700 thread count felt like sandpaper and sometimes 320 felt like butter.
    The store set up was terrible (at least in the store I was in). All of the shelves are 9 or 10 ft high so no average height person can easily reach stuff on the top shelves forcing them to ask for help every time they want to see something up high. Which, if we ever had enough payroll to staff the store with more than two people at a time, would be perfectly fine, but that wasn't the case. Another downside to the really high shelving units was that it gave thieves places to hide to remove merchandise from packages and stuff it in their bags. There were more blind spots in that store than there were areas with cameras pointed on them too.
    Being on register wasn't any better. You had to hassle customers into signing up for a "fan of anna's" card, which asking is fine but we were actually supposed to insist even after they said no, really, it was on the associate observation grading sheet. Also, you had to offer them more things to buy, manage the phone, including item checks from other stores, greet customers, offer them an ad and a cart and mention something that was on sale. Once again, greeting customers is fine but having to talk their ear off as soon as they walk in the door is annoying to them.
    Sales associates couldn't void, adjust prices, or do returns so they had to call the manager, the only other person there, up front frequently, both forcing the customer wait and pulling the manager away from their customer or task. Sales associates could do basically nothing without manager approval, not because they manager didn't trust them, but they didn't have the security rights because the company clearly didn't trust them. At one point associates had to call a manager whenever they took a $50 or $100 bill because they no longer trusted them to be able to verify it's authenticity!
    Toward the end here they started forwarding "customer complaints" that had been allegedly reported to the customer service line but it was actually a secret shopper report because everything the "customer" mentioned were points on the old secret shopper survey. And they thought we wouldn't figure it out.

The employee discount was a little bit of a joke it was only 20% off of anything not on sale. The employee appreciation this came about three times a year and even then it was only like 30% off everything. They did increase the frequency of the employee appreciation discounts when they stopped giving us raises every year.

Merchandising was a headache because it was always a surprise what we got on the truck so we couldn't plan ahead more than one day. When there was a "you guys will be seeing this brand new product arriving soon do this with it" we would have gotten it two weeks prior and already found a place for it. Often we'd get planograms that weren't compatible with our store set up and your dm would just tell you to make it work and then take points from the visit grade. And what's worse is that the planograms kept changing, the big wigs would go to one location and see a slight deviation front the planogram and tell the rest of the stores to copy them then we'd undo it and then we'd change it back to the original. (I had to redo that stupid towel wall three times!)

The lack of communication never improved either. When the company filed for bankruptcy I found out because I saw an article on The New York Times site! Reporters are getting more information about it then we were! And on the last conference call when they told us we were officially going out of business all of them cried and it was so stupid

Advice to Management

At your next job, if you think you should do something, do the opposite.

8. "Manager"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Anna's Linens part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

people can be nice sometimes

Cons

There's a lot of downtime

Advice to Management

Be nicer to other workers

9. "supervisor"

Former Employee - Part Time Supervisor in Mission, TX
    Former Employee - Part Time Supervisor in Mission, TX

I worked at Anna's Linens part-time

Pros

easy job well payed work with your schedule

Cons

there is no growth after becoming manager

10. "Out of business"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Anna's Linens (More than a year)

Pros

Great staff, very flexible,
    and laid back

Cons

unloading our own truck with myself and another female

Advice to Management

Work more as a team

11. "."

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Orientation Lead/Design Crew in Crestwood, Cook, IL

I worked at Anna's Linens (More than 5 years)

Pros

They did have options for discounts at other places. Small Management team.

Cons

We're very limited in who would know about other places. Small management team was subjective to who knew who.

Advice to Management

Should have made sure as to who was working as a sales associate and the years they've been there. Possibility for manager position or key holder is only limited to full time employees.