Ascentis Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
DJ Chhabra

1. "Laid back but energetic"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Ascentis full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Overall pretty progressive in development practices.

Fun environment and culture, very cool people to hang out with. Pretty laid back overall.

Cons

Not every developer has the same eye for code quality. There is a lot of pollution going on in the code base.

There is no real accountability. There is no fall back for not completing a task on time or correctly. To some this may be a pro, but I personally need that accountability to feel strongly motivated.

Advice to Management

Try to steer away from Dart.

Be a bit more constructive during PRs. Thats your chance to teach developers how to improve, and I don't think you are really taking advantage of that opportunity.

Enforce new development practices after having meetings about them. A simple example is unit testing. After the presentation on TDD there was no push to get developers into the practice.

"Had so much potential"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Ascentis full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

None. This used to be such a fun and warm place to work, but that went downhill .... quick.

Cons

All employees were miserable, no time to even say Hello to your neighbor. Timelines got tighter, expectations got higher, and workload got bigger and bigger and bigger. Too focused on the short-term instead of hiring staff to support the boom of business.

Advice to Management

Focus on your employees, without them, you'll lose your customers one right after the other.

"Impact, Focused, and Fun"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Ascentis full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've worked at Ascentis for a number of years now. It's a organization full of smart, engaged and focused people. Everyone is driven to help the organization to succeed, and as part of that success has come individual career opportunities as well. The environment is transparent and open... there are no games being played here, the CEO shares a lot of details on how the company is doing with employees every quarter. I couldn't be happier at Ascentis.

Cons

No doubt there's always a ton of work to do. I read some of the reviews here, and maybe the company is not for everyone. However, if you're driven, enjoy working with a great team and are not afraid of a little hard work, Ascentis is a great place.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"What are you looking for in a company?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Ascentis full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get from Ascentis what you are looking for. What I mean by that is, if you asked 5 people about their experience at Ascentis you would get 5 extremely varied answers. I think that is a pro because it means on an individual basis, Ascentis is committed to meeting employee needs, but you have to be willing to speak up for what you are looking for. That also speaks to the flexibility Ascentis is often willing to provide. For certain roles there is more flexibility than others, however, I would generally say there is a great deal of flexibility and the company is willing to help employees find a solution that fits their needs.

Ascentis is also very family oriented and promotes a healthy work life balance. It is not uncommon to have people bring their kids in to the office on school breaks (fortunately they are all very well behaved) or to see moms and dads working alternate schedules to help mediate work and family demands. They do offer a wellness program for all employees and for those that make health a priority this is a big bonus.

Cons

Some departments do face longer more demanding working schedules than others, however, I think those demands are sometimes self created. Most of the employees work very hard here and create boundaries for work and personal life. I can see for those who don't create those boundaries it could be overwhelming during the busy season (end of year for us).

Employee morale could be approved upon, however, there are many people who are very happy at the company. The Human Resources team has sent out recent emails addressing the revamping of programs in the coming year and we do have several fun employee appreciation events throughout the year.

Advice to Management

Take to heart employee needs and continue to focus on creating lasting solutions that are not quick fixes. I would also be more transparent in how you are working to address employee concerns so we know that the concerns are being heard.

"Employees are viewed as nothing more than an expense"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Ascentis full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work environment and co-workers are all great to work with. There are some snacks provided and benefits are decent.

Cons

Where to start? Employees are viewed as nothing more than an expense and departments have to fight with each other for resources because the company model is to grow in revenue with as few employees as possible. Employee morale basically ceases to exist and attrition is awful. Everyone is completely overworked, burned out and under paid. Unless you are in management, there are no bonuses. The average salary increase is 2%, regardless of performance. Little to no work-life balance. No opportunity for growth. Everyone dreads coming to work. The software is old and outdated. Ascentis is just not a great, or even good, place to work right now.

Advice to Management

Ask yourself why anyone would want to work at Ascentis. I could not come up with even 5 good reasons. Invest in your employees, you have people working 60-70+ hours every week wondering why. You can't hold on to good people if things don't change and employees start feeling valued.

"Fun Company, Good Start to learn about HCM Tech"

Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Ascentis full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Open environment to ask questions among your peers in any department, great group of people from all walks of life, nice work/life balance, be able to talk and work with even executive-level staff is also a plus

Cons

Pretty informal training so you will have to explore sometimes to find answers, going through stable growth and wants to promote from within, just seems a bit difficult to do from the budget side.

Advice to Management

Develop plans to keep people motivated so once those opportunities to promote come up, you can quickly do so.Avoid promising potential change down the road as it may not happen in that timeframe

"Ascentis"

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in San Mateo, CA

Pros

Great flexibility
    Competitive Salary/Benefits Package
    Outstanding Customer Service

Cons

Dated Technology
    Siloed Technology
    Lengthly development
    More reactionary than visionary

"Established Business, New Energy..."

Current Employee - Product Development in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Product Development in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Ascentis full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ascentis is a perfect mix of established business and startup worlds. There is new energy and total commitment to the Agile way of life. We are building on the foundations laid over the last 20+ years but building for the future.

Not afraid to push the boundaries of technology and breaking the mould of traditional enterprise applications.

Collaborative environment where everyone's contributions are encouraged and appreciated. Complete transparency of business decisions and company affairs

Cons

commute in the SF Bay Area could be an issue if you live in the East or South Bay but a flexible work environment helps mitigate that.

Advice to Management

Maintain the focus on Innovation in product and services.

"Fast Growing Agile Company"

Current Employee - Product Management in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Product Management in Atlanta, GA

Pros

I have been at Ascentis for two years and during that time the company has experienced fast paced growth. It is exciting to be at a company that is actively growing, and working hard to position for future success. It is an environment where we always look at what we are doing, and look for opportunities to improve.... and that is important to me. We are heading in the right direction.

Cons

The snacks sometimes run out, but I think of snacks as a perk so I can't complain too much about that!

"Salary"

Current Employee - Payroll Customer Service Representative in Roseville, CA
    Current Employee - Payroll Customer Service Representative in Roseville, CA

I have been working at Ascentis (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with, manager fights for representatives. People lean on each other for support

Cons

Not enough training, spread to thin, expected to be knowledgeable in programming terminology without proficient training

Advice to Management

Invest more in training employees. Understand client to CSR ratio is vital to success. Especially when you are selling service

Ascentis Response

Jun 26, 2015 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We appreciate your praise for your manager and coworkers. We are sorry to hear that you feel the training has been inadequate. We are always striving ... More