Avention OneSource Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Steve Pogorzelski

Pros
  • 4 Tremendous work/life balance with open vacation policy (in 9 reviews)

• Great product, and many employees that truly believe in the product being the best in the market (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Objectively there has been a high turnover at Avention, with people not passing probation or poor performers been "let go" (in 3 reviews)

• Poor management - They make it seem as if they provide tools and help to employees but in reality do nothing (in 3 reviews)

"Amazing company with a world class workforce"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Concord, MA

I have been working at Avention OneSource Solutions (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked at Avention for nearly 3 years, and I firmly believe i'll never find another company like Avention in a life time.

#1 the biggest pro of this company is its employees. On every level, they are the best and brightest group of individuals that I've ever had privileged to call my colleagues.

#2 In all of my roles at Avention, I've always found there is a clearly defined career path, as well as incredible opportunity for growth within the organization.

#3 The front end products are both innovative and intuitive.

#4 Tremendous work/life balance with open vacation policy.

#5 Collaborative Environment.

Overall 10 out of 10

Cons

The only con is i have is to the industry and not the company. This is a competitive space!

Advice to Management

One of the most important qualities in any Management role is to lead by example, and that is exactly what the management Avention does. The CEO Steve Pogorzelski and management teams are the first ones in the office and the last to leave every day. Not only that, but i've never worked at a company where the CEO knows every single employee that works for him and makes a point to be open and transparent about the business performance month after month. Truly great leadership! Wouldn't chance a thing

"Great Momentum"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Concord, MA

I have been working at Avention OneSource Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The OneSource product is great to sell. It is a marked improvement over iSell. The company supports its sales team. The culture is of accountability and development.

Cons

It is a very competitive industry.

Advice to Management

Focus on the corporate values.

3. "Great workplace in growing business segment"

Current Employee - Sales in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Sales in Boston, MA

Pros

Compensation potential, Company culture, Tenured employees, Competitive marketplace

Cons

Small market share, Potential to be sold

Advice to Management

Manage expectations, Do not sell

5. "Analyst"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Concord, MA

Pros

Good working environment and company culture

Cons

Preferential treatment for certain departments

Advice to Management

Make career development resources available.

"Rewarding and career advancing place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Concord, MA

I have been working at Avention OneSource Solutions (Less than a year)

Pros

Senior level management has created a supportive culture that is continuously pushing learning and growth. Personal development is a top priority mixing greatly with the company wide initiative of promote from within.
    Great work life balance, with an open vacation policy.
    Great product, and many employees that truly believe in the product being the best in the market.

Cons

Not the best location to commute to from Boston and surrounding area.

Advice to Management

Keep up the open and transparent workplace identifying issues (good or bad) that arise effecting the company as a whole.

7. "A work in progress"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Concord, MA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Concord, MA

I worked at Avention OneSource Solutions (More than a year)

Pros

Great technology and software platform. People are great and helpful, benefits are good and pay is fair.

Cons

Data can be off, just as with any provider of business intelligence providers but overall better than most.

Advice to Management

Stay the course and listen to your team, their challenges are valid.

"Potential that will not be realized"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Concord, MA

Pros

Some great people working at Avention, particularly some very strong sales people that are the best asset of the company. Also in a domain that has potential for growth.

Cons

Senior management has no respect for the people, churning and burning the people and not replacing them, all because the CEO and his team have no clue about the marketplace. Quotas are completely unrealistic, the group I worked in had limited success at an individual level, but nobody in the other division, Enterprise Sales, hit their their targets. The result is that therefore you are working for your salary plus a very low payout of commissions.
    Data quality is not very good, no use of corporate hierarchy and very limited scope of services. Takes forever to roll anything out, any non standard work is handled by a very small group of people and quality is an issue.
    Basically a lot of marketing spin about the data, some style, no substance. At the end of the day, it is a one trick pony for the most part, a seat based service that has limited value in the market if customers truly understood what they were buying.

Advice to Management

Give up on the pipe dream that the business plan calls for and come clean with the board on the fact that the CEO's plan had fatal flaws from the start. Growth rates that the teams are being asked to deliver are completely unrealistic and way out of scope of typical industry rates.

"Pre Sales Engineer, Enterprise Accounts"

Current Employee - Sales Engineer Manager, Strategic Accounts in Concord, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer Manager, Strategic Accounts in Concord, MA

I have been working at Avention OneSource Solutions full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Colleagues., Sr. Leadership, Culture, We have a CEO who respects his employees and believes in our products and that people are our biggest asset.

Cons

Location.....Concord, MA can be a long commute for many.

Advice to Management

Keep up the open and transparent lines of communication. It's always been a strength of our company and it continues today. Nice to see the recent flurry of internal promotions. Continue to let people manage their business and focus only on the ones who need to be micro managed. I love our company and what it has become over the years. Each person, past and present has made our company what it is today.

"New Business Development Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Avention OneSource Solutions (More than a year)

Pros

Strong front-end application that is easy to use. Data is improving but not great. Contacts are outdated or non-existent.

Cons

Toxic environment with leadership that is only focused on their employment, not the customer. If you don't care about client relationships and quality products and service, this is a place for you.

Advice to Management

Clean house and hire leaders who have actually lead a sales team. Focus on quality and the professional growth of your employees.

"Atmospheric Pressure is High"

Current Employee - Employee in West Concord, MA
    Current Employee - Employee in West Concord, MA

I have been working at Avention OneSource Solutions full-time

Pros

Love the job itself and respect most of the people that I work with. Medical benefits are good and other then feeling like I'm in the dark with where MY job stands, I am challenged on a daily basis and like going to work.

Cons

The problem with the open vacation policy is that you will always get some that take advantage, leaving others to carry the burden of the workload before, during and after their absences. Children get confused about needs vs. wants and apparently employees here do as well. Department management is not equipped to address this as the policy is extremely loose and was randomly dropped on us with no warning. Follow-up meetings were held and there was an obvious negative pushback from the employees - again, those remaining are the employees that have been working hard and filling in the blanks since there have been so many volunteer and non-volunteer departures....but the pushback seemed to go unnoticed and was responded to in a 'well, that's the way it is' message. There are huge gaps of people missing in most departments and while some stay and put in extra effort/extra time, others quote the "I deserve to take what I need" and have been slugging along doing less than the minimum, adding to the dedicated workers' frustration, bitterness and overall negative morale, creating a high burnout rate. The overall assumption is that this policy was designed to save the company money - if anyone leaves, they owe them nothing for vacation days that they previously earned.
    What the slacker hears when vacation policy is described: Woo hoo I can take as much as I want and therefore I will!
    What the dedicated worker hears: Since the team is down 25% personnel, I won't be able to take any vacation and have the team hit their goals so I will take as little as I can deal with and with any luck our team will still exist in 6 months.
    Obviously that's a win for the slackers. Everyone I know at the company is exploring other opportunities because no one feels safe. If they did, they would probably stay indefinitely.

Advice to Management

Perhaps timing is poor but it seems as if around every company meeting, either prior to or shortly thereafter, there is a 'departure'. I know there are no guarantees in today's workforce, but it is difficult to work in a situation where you go into the office on a daily basis and notice all the empty seats and wonder if yours will be next. Not sure any amount of reassurance would help at this point. I suggest going to each manager and ask them who their star players are and if there were any team members dragging the team down. And then help them fix it. Most of us would like to get rid of the slackers, but losing a body at this point when the few that are left can barely keep the boat afloat is putting everyone in a lose lose situation. It's too bad. I love my job but am constantly unsettled waiting for the other shoe to drop and watching the quality of the work I see take a nosedive because it's too much work for so few people. There are some good, smart people working here that believe we have something good...but there are others who shouldn't be here. If you are going to keep teams small, give them the tools to build quality teams so they can be more productive in the long run.