BD Reviews

Updated May 7, 2021

3.9
BD CEO Tom Polen
Tom Polen
Pros
  • "Flexible work hours help in managing work life balance(in 189 reviews)

• "Solid Company with Good Benefits(in 139 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Some work life balance concerns but depends on manager(in 72 reviews)

• "Locally the upper management is dismal barely scraping as functioning(in 48 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of BD and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years
      Featured Review

R&D

Sep 13, 2020 - R&D Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people, progressive role, lots of learning, broad experience, great opportunities.

Cons

No aspects of this company were negative, maybe location

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Great company to work for

Apr 5, 2021 - IT Director in Franklin Lakes, NJ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pay, benefits, environment, culture, leadership connect with associates at all levels

Cons

Too much organizational change happened due to acquisitions, while the Change is good, too much change is not..

3. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Good company but needs to improve gender equity

May 5, 2021 - Director of Marketing
      Business Outlook

Pros

Overall, BD is a good company with a strong purpose and a “BD Nice” culture. I’ve been in a couple roles in different business units, and found the work to be quite rewarding. People are very collaborative, perhaps even too consensus driven in their decision making.

Cons

BD needs to improve the gender equity, especially at the top. During the many years I was there, all 3 segment Presidents and all 10 BU Presidents were men. Even at the VP/GM and Platform Leader level, it was >80% men. When I was pregnant and had a baby, I did not feel supported. My manager actually told my direct reports that “things would get worse” while I was out on maternity leave. I understand how my maternity leave is not optimal, but communicating it so directly to my own team really made me feel pressure to come back early from leave.

4. 3.0

Senior Mechanical Engineer in Operations Engineering for Infusion pump system

May 7, 2021 - Senior Mechanical Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits good work life balance schedule flexibility recognition access to self improvement opportunities

Cons

antiquated configuration management system very inefficient QMS political and top heavy corporate culture Consent Decree

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

I'm happy to be part of the team

May 3, 2021 - Manager in San Diego, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

You can achieve life and work balance, but there will be times where the job is demanding.

Cons

Some people (legacy Bard most of the time) do not take ownership of their responsibilities and that delays changes. There's no accountability for them and that should change.

6. 5.0

Awesome company

May 6, 2021 - Associate Territory Manager in Baltimore, MD
      Business Outlook

Pros

Incredible products, worklife balance, culture, etc. could go on and on about the benefits of working here.

Cons

It is a grind! Not very many cons.

7. 5.0

Care about their employees

Apr 27, 2021 - Senior Marketing Manager in Franklin Lakes, NJ
      Business Outlook

Pros

BD is changing the stigma of "corporate America". They truly care about employees health and mental health. Working remote due to the pandemic, before many large organizations. Always checking in on employees, surveys and getting feedback. Truly a leader in healthcare for both their customers and employees. ALSO - they care about your career! Lots of opportunity for growth and movement.

Cons

Health benefits are expensive, not that great especially for a medical company.

8. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

Great Company who helps advance the world of health

Apr 23, 2021 - Researcher in Baltimore, MD
      Business Outlook

Pros

A BD goal is HELPING PEOPLE. Highly rated superior products. Associates are outstanding. BD provides educational training with many sources. BD stays up to date with technological advancements. Outstanding associates. Outstanding benefits. BD Started with an act of kindness between Mr. Maxwell Becton and Mr. Fairleigh Dickinson. BD has been in business for almost 125 years! Need I say more.

Cons

I have nothing negative to state - this comes from a VERY long time BD associate.

9. 4.0

Great Stepping Stone

Feb 22, 2021 - Associate Territory Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Enjoyed my time as an ATM. It’s a great first job to get your foot into the door in Med Device. Avg stay until promotion or you move on is targeted at 2 years...Your experience is solely based on the TM you primarily work under. I was in the surgery division so this gave me experience in covering many surgeries and selling throughout the entire OR. Training is very intense but prepares you for selling to docs & defending against competitors. I believe pay is around 75k for new hires and goes up to 90k if you’re successful your first year. Awesome company with opportunities to change divisions and get promotions if you’re willing to relocate and work your tail off

Cons

-TM CONTROLS your life. This could be good or bad... my experience was not good. I was worked more than others and made him serious coin -Pay is decent but could be better for the hours in the OR you have to grind out -Not looked at as valuable but this does open doors to other opportunities if you can stick it out for 2 years -Prove yourself, Who’s Next, Just Get It Done Culture

10. 5.0

Great company

May 6, 2021 - Project Manager in San Diego, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Progressive company that cares about their employees.

Cons

Leadership/cross-functional decision making could be quicker.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 2,361 Reviews