BGL Group Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
BGL Group CEO Matthew Donaldson
Matthew Donaldson

Pros
  • flexible shifts, good people to work with, free fruit, free coffee/tea, paid holiday 25 days/annually, pension, health insurance (in 11 reviews)

• Flexible Working, Common Sense Approach (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard to progress from middle management to senior management (in 10 reviews)

• The hierarchical nature of the organisation means that there is division between levels within the company and between the various business units (in 7 reviews)

1. "Great place to work, albeit some backwards, old school mentality"

Pros

Office, Gym, Salary, People, Trying to be progressive

Cons

Old Boys Club, Limited Flexibility on Working From Home etc but they are working on it!

2. "Nice atmosphere"

Pros

Good teamwork at this site

Cons

Little flexibility at this site

"Great Company"

Pros

A great atmosphere. This is the kind of business where you want to go to business.

Cons

There isn't any really except for the fact that some of the back end systems are dated.

May 22, 2017

Hi there, thank you for your positive feedback. We aim to make this a great place to work so it's nice to hear you've experienced a great working atmosphere.

"Good benefits and could be a good place to work, if your face fits"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peterborough, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peterborough, England (UK)

Pros

Good benefits, nice offices, good annual leave

Cons

Awful management, favouritism, awful recruitment process, awful training system (I didn't have any)
    It felt like any "new" faces were left out, unless you already know everyone, from past jobs or personal life, its quite a struggle.
    Bullying middle management, which seems to be every other person who's a manager.
    I felt so let down when I joined BGL, promised a lot which didn't deliver. I had no clear direction with my line of work and had constant bullying from my line manager. This made me quite stressed and very ill in the short time I was there. I wasn't there long but enough was enough. Never in my life have I had such an awful start to a new job. Never again.
     I'm now glad I'm away from the company and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Advice to Management

Look after your new starters

Apr 27, 2017

We're really sorry to hear about your experience here at BGL Group, we'll take your feedback on board. If you would like to speak to someone further about your time here then please email ... More

"Marketing Graduate Programme provides great opportunities"

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Executive in Peterborough, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Executive in Peterborough, England (UK)

I have been working at BGL Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opens doors for junior marketers, great exposure across a range of brands and a massive variety of rotations around the group. There's no hiding here, you'll have real responsibility from day one unlike many other schemes out there, and as a result you'll finish the scheme equipped to tackle your next exciting role in whichever area of marketing you decide to specialise in. I've never looked back since joining BGL!

Cons

A little slow to make changes to the programmes, at times there is a lot of pressure and multiple deadlines to juggle alongside day-to-day.

Advice to Management

Utilise current graduates to continue shaping the grad programmes into best in class in the UK.

Apr 4, 2017

Hi there, thank you for your feedback, we're pleased to hear that you've enjoyed your time on the graduate scheme. We will continue to work with our graduates to enhance the programme. Thanks. ... More

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peterborough, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peterborough, England (UK)

Pros

Goes over and above for staff, with great benefits and lots of little extras to help motivate and engage.

Good work life balance

Strong sense of culture, value and purpose - united to reach company goals.

Cons

Sometimes too quick to take the time to collaborate properly, but it's clearly being worked on so we can improve it.

Advice to Management

Need to continue developing collaboration across the business to ensure we're working most efficiently to deliver our goals.

Mar 23, 2017

Hi there, thank you for your feedback, we're pleased to hear that you feel you have a good work life balance. We will continue to develop our collaboration across the business. Thanks.

8. "Full time employee"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Peterborough, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Peterborough, England (UK)

I have been working at BGL Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast paced, dynamic, diverse and supports people who need the flexibility to manage their family life with an interesting, but demanding career.

The best thing about BGL is the people you get to work with, Committed and talented people always looking for opportunities to do new and innovative things to help our customers and deliver value to the business.

The perks aren't bad either, family fun days are great - however your family is made up and there there is something for everybody at these events. The free fruit, food on-site and gym help you manage your health as well as your work.

Cons

The maternity pay wasn't great, but the company recently changed it, along with a number of other policies around families. These changes with the flexible working, have removed any cons I might have talked about before.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work on making the balance between having a rewarding career and a life and family outside BGL really work.

Mar 27, 2017

Hi there, thank you for your feedback. We're delighted that you are happy with our updated family related policies and will continue to promote a healthy work life balance for our people. Thanks.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Recruitment in Peterborough, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Recruitment in Peterborough, England (UK)

I have been working at BGL Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture; collaborative, fast paced, diverse. Fantastic range of employee benefits such as pension scheme, life assurance, subsidised on-site restaurant, onsite gym in Peterborough. Progression is a huge factor to why I chose to work for BGL Group - lots of career opportunities.

Cons

Honestly can't think of any major cons, I genuinely love my job and enjoy working for BGL Group.

Advice to Management

Continue what your doing! :)

Mar 22, 2017

Hi there, thank you for your positive feedback, we're really pleased to hear that you're enjoying your role and time within the Group.

10. "Great place for work compare to other competitor companies"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Peterborough, England (UK)

I have been working at BGL Group full-time

Pros

it is secured place of work. team leaders always happy to help in assist you if necessary.

Cons

too busy environment, and due to that adherence checked and taken really seriously and even strictly sometimes

Advice to Management

keep going, as you are doing best for business. i think employers would be happy if there was some more possibilities for social life between colleagues.

Mar 23, 2017

Hi there, thank you for your feedback, we're pleased to hear that you receive the support you need from the Group. Thanks.

"Developer"

I worked at BGL Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A good work lil balance.

Cons

Slow and bureaucratic.
    Have to wear a tie

Feb 15, 2017

Hello and thank you very much for your feedback, we're pleased you enjoyed the work life balance here at BGL Group. We introduced a new dress code policy in November 2015 which stated that men did ... More