Bartlett Tree Experts Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Robert A. Bartlett Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Plant Health Care Specialist"

Former Employee - Plant Health Care Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Plant Health Care Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Bartlett Tree Experts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unlimited educational resources, work outdoors everyday, reimbursed for certification and license fees, work with people who truly care about the industry

Cons

Vacation time starts after one year anniversary, company processes are outdated (PHC reporting, timesheets, routing)

"Administrative Assistant"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Emmaus, PA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Emmaus, PA

I have been working at Bartlett Tree Experts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The others Admin's are very helpful with answering questions and traveling to other branches to assist with training and set up.

Cons

If you enjoy taking care of everything and have no time to breath this is a perfect position for you. The job is much more than an Admin. Asst. you are expected to come up with marketing strategies and track all the expenses also expected to be a sales assistant for the business which wouldn't be bad if you didn't have 1000 other tasks to complete in a day. No time for lunch or bathroom breaks. You receive emails that are "bullying" for lack of a better way to explain. You are expected to have your Outlook Calendar full every minute of every day. You are watched constantly and graded for the whole company to see through the "bully" emails.

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate all the duties expected from 1 person. Train the people you put into Management positions to be Managers. Stop bullying.

3. "Terrible management Terrible to work with"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Bartlett Tree Experts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay was ok, decent benefits, great commute, provides ethical training, quiet work environment, for the most part those are the only good things I could think of

Cons

The location I worked at had a huge favoritism problem... Some of the Raleigh arborist picked and chose which customers they would go to based on how their house looked (if they had enough money) admin assistants where under paid and if they don't like you you are fired for no reason at all (happened to me) I worked my butt off and was never late They pretend to have your best interest but really they don't... that locations management had no structure

Advice to Management

The Raleigh office isn't what it seems. I had so many complaints about arborist who treated customers like crap every other day... not showing up or calling back not sending proposals and a huge lack of communication

4. "Administrative Assistant"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Springfield, VA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Springfield, VA

I worked at Bartlett Tree Experts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most of the people were great to work with.

Cons

Where to begin? Management inept/overwhelmed. The technology was practically non-existent, very out-of-date, circa early 1990s-type report running and timesheet entering. Pay was mediocre, benefits were mediocre, office environment was downright shabby, virtually no training and clique-y.

Advice to Management

Office manager and arborist at the same time is probably not a good idea. If an arborist is to be out in the field working, he/she cannot be in the office managing. To manage an office, you have to spend some time there and see what goes on, on a day-to-day basis. Receive input from more than one source before making decisions. Update technology - the systems of recordkeeping and accounting I was working with were circa 1980s/90s, completely out of date. Try to do something about the cliques in that office and perhaps install this office in a property that isn't literally falling apart.

"Bartlett - Not too shabby!"

Former Employee - Manager in Lake Barrington, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Lake Barrington, IL

I worked at Bartlett Tree Experts full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great safety culture, best pay and benefits in the industry. Excellent training and resources.

Cons

Corporate managers need to be on the same page. One hand doesn't tend to know what the other is doing. Ex. I was employed by the company for 2 months and was sent an e-mail (to my company e-mail address) by HR informing me that the position had been filled but that they would keep my resume on file - True story!

Advice to Management

Focus less on professing what you believe, and spend more time actually doing it.

"Not a good place for a family man"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marshall, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marshall, VA

I worked at Bartlett Tree Experts full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Office was in the country

Cons

To corporate management treats employees like cash cows

7. "Arborist Representative"

Current Employee - Arborist Representative in Lebanon, NJ
    Current Employee - Arborist Representative in Lebanon, NJ

I have been working at Bartlett Tree Experts full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good work environment, Good Benefits, Excellent technical support (Lab), Flexible schedule, Room for creative thinking, Talented production force, Continuing education credits, Excellent administrative support

Cons

CAN be a tough job IF attempts are made to work outside the sales strategy set in sales plan IV. Marketing dept is weak at best.

Advice to Management

More training on sales plan IV early on to emphasize the importance of working within the system.

"Be A Puppet"

Former Employee - Arborist Representative in Danbury, CT
    Former Employee - Arborist Representative in Danbury, CT

I worked at Bartlett Tree Experts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hmm...this one will be tough. I had a company car that was a great perk because it saved on a car payment, insurance, maintenance, and gas. The field crews in Danbury, CT were a great group of guys. They are respectful, talented, and hard working.

Cons

Wonder how much space I get here? Management is absolutely horrible and clearly in WAY over their head, yet their ego makes them stay. Management was basically thrown into their current role and does not know how to manage people effectively. What are you supposed to think about a company that leaves existing mgmt in place after they tried to quit (gave their resignation notice) 2× in 2015 because they couldn't handle the pressure, but they are still in place and working. Management is so bad that the head foreman had to go to the division VP and ask for a transfer to another office, but mgmt is still there and working. Existing mgmt alienated his colleagues so much that they were compelled to go to the aforementioned division VP and basically have a behind closed doors 'intervention' that ended up accomplishing nothing, but mgmt is still there and working. Management constantly talks behind his fellow arborists backs and spreads rumors and speculation about their work habits to try and pit people against each other. Division will micromanage you to death, unless you're one of the top performers. Otherwise, they make you fill out childish daily tracking spreadsheets that basically force you to account for every minute of your day. Another thing they do is hold over your head how much they're paying you in an effort to guilt you into better performance, or use it as the final excuse to let you go. In addition, they don't like new ideas and want you to walk lockstep like a puppet and not question anything. If you do question policy and procedures you are labeled a malcontent, and if you do something Danbury mgmt doesn't understand you are labeled "shady", and always open to the rumor mill and speculation about your work habits. All mgmt cares about are the guys in the field and the A/R's always get the short stick. Mgmt never backs the reps and always thinks the customer is correct, even when simple logic says otherwise. I had management tell me on numerous occasions that it was my fault (and another arborist) that he didn't get the car upgrade that he was aiming for. What type of (quality) person says that to a subordinate? None of the good ones I ever worked for would have said such a thing! Whenever something happens that shouldn't have management is never culpable - it is always everyone else's fault and if they did it his way the problem/incident never would have happened.

Advice to Management

Get RID of existing management in the Danbury office. Existing mgmt doesn't inspire devotion to the company and only drives a wedge between those that work there. Hire someone who knows how to behave, retain, inspire, and motivate those that work in the office. Sad thing is that senior mgmt would never read this and act accordingly. These comments would not be recognized as factual and realistic, but rather a dumb rant from a former employee. I guess that goes back to the root of most of the problems in the Danbury office.

9. "Good but frustrating."

Former Employee - Arborist Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Arborist Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Bartlett Tree Experts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Money, some of the people I worked with, helping clients

Cons

Communication. Tended to be too sales driven at our office, management didn't have a clue some times

Advice to Management

Listen more to what employees are saying, it will help the office long term. Too many times it was more about the sale then actually caring for the client.

"Work you until you break. Stretch you and push you, and give you very little in return"

Former Employee - Climber in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Climber in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Bartlett Tree Experts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Out of most big commercial tree companies, they're one of the better to work for. Unfortunately, that's not saying much. If overtime is your thing, and you live to do tree work, this might be your thing. If not, stay away.

Cons

Horrible working conditions are common and customers give very little appreciation even on the most professional job done or difficult working scenario. There's a very poor wage, and many of the people drawn to this field are rejects from any other profession. In addition, you'll find yourself competing with other tree companies, the kind most would call 'hacks.' Not only that, but people will assume you're one of them. Advancement opportunities are very limited, and unless you squeeze your way into a sales rep or corporate position, you'll end up working as a foreman for the rest of your life. Do you want to be stuck cutting down, trimming, and hauling trees until you're 65? If you even make it that far in this field without a serious injury knocking you out of this line of work, consider that winning the lottery.

Advice to Management

For a job that is incredibly physically demanding, the health benefits are a joke. Short 'training' sessions on ergonomics and proper lifting aren't going to lessen the wear and tear on your body nearly enough. I would never consider going back into this line of work unless a weekly chiropractor visit and massage was included within the benefits, as well as paid sick days. For a job that requires you to work in inclement weather, around extreme dust, and fungi and feces in trees, you're bound to get sick from job related duties.