Basic Research Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Dennis Gay

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Review of Basic Research"

Former Employee - National Account Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - National Account Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Basic Research full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Family owned business with managers who are proven sales/marketing strategist, solution-oriented sales team who thrives in challenging, fast-paced environments where performance directly affects the bottom line.

Cons

My only negative experience at Basic Research was with the my first manager; however she was let go soon after many complaints. My next 6 years were fabulous.

2. "Awesome Company"

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Basic Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You're not just a number. Friendly co-workers. Fun environment. Great benefits.

Cons

The cons are really really minor.

3. "Office Politics"

Former Employee - Customer Service and Sales Representative in West Valley City, UT

I worked at Basic Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

$12/hr
    Relaxed Dress Code.
    Proactive Coaching for the Training period.

Cons

No direct hire positions unless you have a prior relationship with someone in management.
    Difficult Metrics which shift frequently.as well as a lack of agent calibration with the metrics (Agents are not coached on QA in depth, You can have high stats in multiple metrics and lacking in one and receive an entire overhaul from management on the entirety of what you are doing.)
    Dis-connectivity in management
    Office politics on high
    Lack of honesty in products sold, coaching sessions.
    Lack of transparency and open dialogue with Management

If you like a competitive,unstable environment and have confidence to burn (which it will) you might have a good time just don't look into the products you are selling.

Advice to Management

You do know a lot of this and your hubris doesn't allow you to admit mistakes or implement positive changes to the employee environment, still applying hopefuls have a right to know a facet of insight and possibly those few part of management that actually understand the changes needed deserve to hear this experience and perspective.

Your agents on both Customer Service and Sales are very unhappy and treated unfairly. Customer interaction is ver manageble this is not the reason for the negativity. Your TL's are not engaged in each agent as they should be. This creates a lack of motivation and desire in your employees.

Even top performers feel they do not get the recognition they deserve. Top performers from one week are quickly shifted out as the sales opportunities are not consistent due to your current marketing placements and product integrity. Namely regarding integrity, your current clinical trial included only 16 people and only 4 were actualy female in a product marketed to especially women. See The Science link on the Serovital website , under the paragraph "Methods".

The training manager told me I was one of your best and most positive employees a week before I was let go. Wish I would have known the truthful opinion of being very expendable after putting my time, heart and effort into forerunning a new department without assistance. However, I do know that the truth of my placement as Welcome Call Specialist or whatever my title actually was, was actually a place away from the pressures of Sales which I never asked for. After I was moved to the new department and told by several people mostly Top Performers that it was essentially a "time out corner" Concerned, I began to open dialogue with the new TL and Training Manager asking what this new department truly was. Was it a place to put ill performing agents who were essentially on their way out? I was explained that this was an new exciting place to be and actually I would be a perfect fit for gathering data, creating reports and keeping agent morale up on this new team. It was to be part of building a new relationship with customers and brand recognition, so I was told.

I chose to believe this as I was still such a new agent and was only on my main Team after Training for approximately a week.

Something very big in souring my opinion and respect for the company is watching and speaking with agents on the Welcome Call team when it was started was that all of us on the team were not given clarity to the actual job description from the beginning of the creation of the team, left with a basic interpretation and a realized lack of commission opportunity we all did the best we could to keep each other motivated and positive.

The basic interpretation we all came to was that we were calling existing customers who recently received their order and asked how they were doing and made sure they had a direct agent to answer any questions they had regarding instructions or billing needs. Very, rare were opportunities to upsell different products to these new customers.

I was given the task essentially of a Junior Team Lead without being labeled as such, without pay raise and commission taken away. This position was asked of me in a way that I was trusted with a new positive growth opportunity. After a month of waiting for the meetings I was promised to calibrate my new duties on a newly created department, I was offered to go back to regular Inbound Sales to get commission. That entire month I was expected to make sales yet found the entire time I was not getting commission for these sales. When I asked to receive commission for that particular sales role I was told "Commission didn't make sense" .

I resumed my Inbound Sales position from a Customer Service/Upselling position without re-integrative coaching and my numbers were barely on par yet still there after a week. I was then told I would being going back to the Customer Service/Upselling team yet this time I would still keep commission. Apparently it made sense the second time and for the other agents on the team. I will leave that for you to decide the fairness.

I was of course upset as other agents were that were moved to that team as well. I was explained nothing that day, I clocked out on time and was given a text message that my assignment was up with Basic Research.

It is evident approximately a year or so ago you had room for growth as a committed agent and it must have been a positive environment but, now the focus is expansion. Expansion should start from the foundation on the company values. You should work on getting larger scale trials and science on your products rather than encourage your employees to sell a product that is half-cocked.

Promises made to employees are taken to heart when we are told we have opportunities and we have access to our Management and then is discovered that is not the case in the midst of rapid change, this would let anyone down.

You should pay attention to the online reviews from brand detractors and make appropriate changes or you will not see the success you believe you deserve.

You should also look into why your turn over rate is so high with employee surveys or you will not have a strong team environment which is needed for company growth to begin with.

You should encourage Team Leads who put their heart into their teams rather than distance. Namely there was only one of those types of TL's as of May 2nd. Kelly Tafur. Everyone who was on her team said how grateful they were to have her. She was the only TL that you could see and hear do Team Meetings with her agents as well as personalized coaching. The weight should not be on her shoulders alone. I mean, I asked my TL for coaching after coming back from the Welcome Call team and instead got to watch him play with a Rubiks cube and discuss algorithms for solving it with people on the team...I do not apologize for playing Picross on my 3DS in 30-45 min wait times in between calls.

I do not recommend your company for employment from dedicated individuals looking for long term employment as those individuals will quickly see they do not have a five figure salary opportunity that the management paints a picture of as a possibility.

4. "Product Manager"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Basic Research full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Basic Research gives you the chance to grow. They always look within and give people a chance to become better.

Cons

Basic has it together! The only con I can think of is that the air conditioner works a little too well!

Advice to Management

Keep giving opportunities for growth.

"Great Place To Grow"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Basic Research full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are many opportunities to grow within the company if you are willing to work hard and learn. I started here when I was 20 years old, as the receptionist. I am now 27, and have been able to jump around in different departments such as receptionist/HR, call center sales, quality assurance/compliance, etc. I enjoy coming to work each day and learning new things, and being a part of an industry that I love (health/wellness, beauty, etc.). It's all about your attitude, and how willing you are to come in and do your job to its fullest.

Cons

Communication. Personally I feel we could work on being sure we allow everyone to know what is going on in the department(s), what actions are taking place, and working together as a team. I can see we are getting better at it, but there is always room for improvement.

Advice to Management

On every level, employee recognition is so important. We are all working in our respective areas/departments, and without each department working together the company as a whole would not be able to function. Some days, the seemingly smallest "good job" can go a long way.

6. "Horrid Management"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Basic Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with on the employee level

Cons

Management has no clue. They hire people from within but only the people with great sales. The bad part is they promote people with no real interpersonal skills

Advice to Management

Hire people that are not just a sales man for a management position

"A great company to work for"

Former Employee - Benefit Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Benefit Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

I had the pleasure of working for Basic Research for 6 years.  I left and came back which happened several times with several other employees while I was there and now I'm moving out of state for a new opportunity.  Basic Research offered me opportunities to grow and to learn within the company.  Their philosophy was to always give employees opportunity for growth as long as we can keep them in the company, which is why they have several people that have been there since the beginning.  They are always thinking of their employees.  I'm sad to leave Basic Research. What a great group of people.

Cons

I honestly have nothing negative to say.

"Great company horrible communication"

Pros

It's a well run company and a monster in the market place. It was a great culture and environment and place that had much potential to grow in.

Cons

Working in the call center isn't what I would call Basic Research. The environment is more toxic and a lot of he said she said. In my 6 months all team leads, trainers, and sales leads had been either fired or quit. The mangament that came in went from a positive uplifting environment to one of you don't hit numbers your fired. They didn't help coach they just said get better or you're out.

Advice to Management

Make sure everything is communicated properly and is not distorted or left unsaid. That's when you get disgruntled employees.

"It's been a good oportunity for me"

Current Employee - IT Applications Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - IT Applications Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Basic Research full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This is a challenging, demanding and rewarding place to work. If you are willing to roll up your sleeves, diversify your skill and take on new challenges in a high pace environment there is plenty of room for advancement. I'm the perfect example of this. I started out as a temp in the warehouse putting in lots of overtime and volunteering for everything possible. Because management noticed my work ethics I was quickly hired on full time as the EDI coordinator. From there I was able to work my way to become a logistics manager for the warehouse. After we transitioned to a new COO I then had the opportunity to move into IT and manage our ERP system and all of our EDI integration's with our customers. Changed positions again to because our DBA/BI Developer and now have changed positions again to become the IT Applications Manager. As you can tell there is a lot of opportunity if you are willing to grasp and have the right mindset to push yourself to help the company succeed. One of the main pro's as well as one of the main reason that I've stayed here for going on twelve years is the personal relationships that I have built with my fellow employees that work here.

Cons

Expectations to adapt, research and change are high.

Advice to Management

Getting advice from as many places as possible is not a bad thing.

"Great But Challenging Place to Work"

I have been working at Basic Research full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I absolutely love the people I work with. My coworkers are phenomenal and really care about one another. Basic Research is a challenging, fast-paced environment, but I love the challenge and knowing that we really are one of the best companies in the business. There's a lot of variety with this job, because we distribute products for a number of brands and do multiple types of advertising (print, TV, radio, etc.), so that keeps things interesting and helps keep me from getting bored. Most of the managers try hard to offer the employees flexibility so that you can take kids to the doctor or miss a few hours of work for a school program, which is important when you're a parent. They also offer a decent insurance package, good vacation time for long-term employees, and 401(k) match.

Cons

Management can be difficult to deal with. Communication isn't always great. It really is a challenging, fast-paced environment and can definitely be high-stress much of the time.

Advice to Management

Be more open about communicating with your employees, and most importantly, get all managers/owners on the same page rather than forcing your employees to get caught in the middle between the direction one executive wants to take vs. the way another thinks things should go. Your employees shouldn't have to be worried that doing a project for one exec is going to get them in trouble with another exec.