Basic Research Reviews | Glassdoor

Dennis Gay

1. "Product Manager"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Basic Research full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Basic Research gives you the chance to grow. They always look within and give people a chance to become better.

Cons

Basic has it together! The only con I can think of is that the air conditioner works a little too well!

Advice to Management

Keep giving opportunities for growth.

2. "Great Place To Grow"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Basic Research full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are many opportunities to grow within the company if you are willing to work hard and learn. I started here when I was 20 years old, as the receptionist. I am now 27, and have been able to jump around in different departments such as receptionist/HR, call center sales, quality assurance/compliance, etc. I enjoy coming to work each day and learning new things, and being a part of an industry that I love (health/wellness, beauty, etc.). It's all about your attitude, and how willing you are to come in and do your job to its fullest.

Cons

Communication. Personally I feel we could work on being sure we allow everyone to know what is going on in the department(s), what actions are taking place, and working together as a team. I can see we are getting better at it, but there is always room for improvement.

Advice to Management

On every level, employee recognition is so important. We are all working in our respective areas/departments, and without each department working together the company as a whole would not be able to function. Some days, the seemingly smallest "good job" can go a long way.

3. "Horrid Management"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Basic Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with on the employee level

Cons

Management has no clue. They hire people from within but only the people with great sales. The bad part is they promote people with no real interpersonal skills

Advice to Management

Hire people that are not just a sales man for a management position

5. "A great company to work for"

Former Employee - Benefit Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Benefit Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

I had the pleasure of working for Basic Research for 6 years.  I left and came back which happened several times with several other employees while I was there and now I'm moving out of state for a new opportunity.  Basic Research offered me opportunities to grow and to learn within the company.  Their philosophy was to always give employees opportunity for growth as long as we can keep them in the company, which is why they have several people that have been there since the beginning.  They are always thinking of their employees.  I'm sad to leave Basic Research. What a great group of people.

Cons

I honestly have nothing negative to say.

"It's been a good oportunity for me"

Current Employee - IT Applications Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - IT Applications Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Basic Research full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This is a challenging, demanding and rewarding place to work. If you are willing to roll up your sleeves, diversify your skill and take on new challenges in a high pace environment there is plenty of room for advancement. I'm the perfect example of this. I started out as a temp in the warehouse putting in lots of overtime and volunteering for everything possible. Because management noticed my work ethics I was quickly hired on full time as the EDI coordinator. From there I was able to work my way to become a logistics manager for the warehouse. After we transitioned to a new COO I then had the opportunity to move into IT and manage our ERP system and all of our EDI integration's with our customers. Changed positions again to because our DBA/BI Developer and now have changed positions again to become the IT Applications Manager. As you can tell there is a lot of opportunity if you are willing to grasp and have the right mindset to push yourself to help the company succeed. One of the main pro's as well as one of the main reason that I've stayed here for going on twelve years is the personal relationships that I have built with my fellow employees that work here.

Cons

Expectations to adapt, research and change are high.

Advice to Management

Getting advice from as many places as possible is not a bad thing.

7. "Best Experience"

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Basic Research full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Teaches me to think out of the box. I think this is why the co has continued to grow and become a trusted partner with major retailers. It has been enlightening to see the respect retailers show for the co. Love the process from a scientific concept to final product presentation.

Cons

Not always a predictable game plan. Seems to be reactive to market trends rather than a specific plans that makes it stressful and always keeps the pressure to get task done quickly, but that seems to be the success.

Advice to Management

More visibility to future and more frequent feedback about individual performance. Continue with out sourcing health & financial benefit info.

"Operations"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Basic Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been with Basic Research for over 2 years. I've had a great experience working for this company so far. The employees on average stay 5 years!!! which is very long compared to most other companies I've worked for. They have awesome holiday giveaways and summer parties. A couple of my friends have been promoted which is good to see that they promote from within. The company was named as a top workplace in 2014 by the employees completing an anonymous survey.

Cons

Its definitely a challenging work environment and there have been up's and down's at times with business, but overall it's been a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Communication is always a challenge from the top down, but getting better. It would be nice to know more about the company's strategic direction.

"Run away from this place."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Basic Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Honestly, the only good thing about this place is that they aren't too picky when hiring people and I think that is one of the reasons management is failing miserably.

Cons

If the only thing you care for is a paycheck, then this is the place for you. If you want to work for a company that appreciates your efforts, values you as a person, gives you opportunities to contribute, and encourages you to grow in your job; this isn't it. Management constantly does many unethical things that for most people in there is a norm but in other places it would be a huge issue. But since the company's culture and business model is based on lying (as long as it is legal), there is no problem with being unethical. Human Resources is almost non-existent because there are only two people running it, so there are many things not being done that other companies sre doing such as employee performance reviews and formal training. In my department only if you knew the right people you would get a raise or bonus. Management does whatever they want because they feel protected by the huge legal department the company has which defends them from lawsuits.

Advice to Management

Rather than doing things just because they have been done that way for ages, take a look at the amazing people working for you and empower them to do great things for the company. People deserve to be treated with respect not only as an object to help you lie about your products.

"worst place I have ever worked (14 yrs experience)"

I have been working at Basic Research full-time

Pros

They give you a computer to use and you can say you have a job (i guess that's good).

Cons

you don't improve by working here, you lose your soul and are taught money is more important than honest and sincere business. Worst job I have ever had.

Advice to Management

NEW management (period!) Make real products that allow you to make real claims and help real people, more than helping your own pocket book.

"What's it like to work at Basic Research?"

Current Employee - Responsible Position in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Responsible Position in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Basic Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a growing company, in a growing field. Never static and lots of innovation.

Cons

The company culture is horrible if you're not connected to senior management (directly related to the owners or friends of owners' children). If you're not connected, you're expendable and a nobody. Also, I found Gay and Bybee to be very paranoid of each other. The each accused me of being a spy for the other.

Advice to Management

Stop treating employees like mere objects. Give them value and empower them to use their skills to add value to the company, instead of just filling your bank accounts. Just because they are not connected to you, doesn't mean you should ignore them.