Bassett Furniture Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 14, 2017

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bassett Furniture President, CEO, and Director Rob Spilman Jr.
Rob Spilman Jr.

Cons

1. "I have learned a lot working at Bassett. They have a lot of pride in the quality and workmanship of their products."

Current Employee - Customer Care Specialist
    Current Employee - Customer Care Specialist

I have been working at Bassett Furniture full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Bassett has great benefits like vacation and personal time. Great health insurance as well. There are opportunities for growth and advancement.

Cons

Some of the challenges I have found is sometimes the communication isn't great. Especially when changes are made. Sometimes the execution of the change may need to be thought out more before implementing the change.

Advice to Management

Sometimes upper management should listen to what the employees have to say. With us working with the public, our feedback could be helpful in implementing some necessary changes.

2. "interior design consultant"

I worked at Bassett Furniture full-time

Pros

The staff and hours were great.They give you all the tools to succeed.Quality built product that is
    American made.

Cons

Not enough computers for the sales staff on busy days. Phones system is antique. They need an updated system with cordless phones for mobility.

3. "Loved it"

Former Employee - Design Consultant in Southlake, TX
    Former Employee - Design Consultant in Southlake, TX

I worked at Bassett Furniture part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Super great atmosphere, they listen to your ideas to make the company better, custom furniture in 30 days-you can't get much better then that! You have the potential to make lots of money if you're any good at designing. I worked part time so I was able to have great work/life balance and do very well.

Cons

Work weekends and holidays, all ladies work there

5. "Designer"

Current Employee - Interior Designer in Dublin, OH
    Current Employee - Interior Designer in Dublin, OH

I have been working at Bassett Furniture (More than 3 years)

Pros

The ability to work with clients on designing their new homes while providing custom furniture solutions. Ability to grow our income.

Cons

Would love to have more design options in furniture frames.

"Fun, Creative & Entrepreneurial"

I have been working at Bassett Furniture full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Bassett truly believes in and upholds it's Visions & Values. We are interested in people who are looking for a career. You have an opportunity to be creative, yet also exercise your business muscles as an entrepreneur. We are constantly evolving and changing, so it is never boring, and it makes me confident that the company knows where it is going and has a plan. We are opening many new stores and this also makes me confident in our financial strength and growth opportunities. Retail people are a special group and we like to work hard, and also have fun. The atmosphere is great in the store. The people are fantastic.

Cons

Not a con, just a note that this is Retail, thus it involves weekends, some evenings and holidays. So it's important to know that you are comfortable with this. If you are, then you'll be working with a great team of like minded people.

"Designing for People - Fun and Creative"

Current Employee - Design Consultant in Westport, CT
    Current Employee - Design Consultant in Westport, CT

I have been working at Bassett Furniture full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In a sense it's the best of both worlds: I treat my clients as an independent would with access to fabrics, furniture, art all in one place, but am under the umbrella of a major company that has health benefits and new clients always walking through the door. I find the atmosphere in the Studio light and helpful. We as a team help each other and cheer each other on with individual successes. Because of this chemistry, the Studio is a relaxed environment which in my case, opens the door for taking design chances and keeping a sense of humor with my clients and colleagues.

Cons

The "Con" is that you work on week-ends. (The pro side is that is when people buy) and your holidays are affected. The 'Con" is that when something does go wrong with an order the client who loved you 30 days ago, now hates you. Then when it is corrected they love you again. I survive by remembering that "a hurricane only lasts for a day".

Advice to Management

Not much has to change. You know the problems with customer service and perhaps a special division should be created to only handle customer situations.

"Not recommended"

Current Employee - Design Consultant in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Design Consultant in Austin, TX

Pros

Great line of furniture and accessories.

Cons

This is a management issue and corporate culture issue. They flood the and play favorites. There is money to be made but it is like working at a car lot but indoors. If you have a bad month it could take two months before you are breaking even on quota requirements and eligible to receive commission. This is not a place to work if your average monthly bills exceed $ 3000.00.

even Work life balance is not obtainable.

Advice to Management

Restrupture

Redue compensation plan from draw aginst commission to salary plus commission.

"Design Consultant"

Current Employee - Design Consultant
    Current Employee - Design Consultant

I have been working at Bassett Furniture full-time

Pros

Quality furniture with lots of custom options! Beautiful store with an updated look. Knowledgeable manager. Good training.

Cons

Very little for traditional. Over hiring - too many consultants for store volume - someone will always be in trouble for low numbers. If you don't meet your quota for 90 days you get fired! Favoritism toward high writers by manager. Dishonesty by 2 high writers (one is assistant manager). One consultant is mean & nasty but manager does nothing to curb her because she writes well. Hard to sell mattresses with no mattress department - poor selection scattered throughout store.

Advice to Management

Position should be base salary plus commission to reduce turnover! Certain behaviors should not be tolerated. Need a few traditional case goods & more office furniture.

10. "Retail sales"

Current Employee - Design Sales Consultant in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Design Sales Consultant in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Bassett Furniture full-time

Pros

Great Benifits, a beautiful place to work.

Cons

I have to work all weekends

Advice to Management

Don't try and control everything.

11. "Design Consultant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fredericksburg, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fredericksburg, VA

I have been working at Bassett Furniture full-time (More than a year)

Pros

opportunity to make over 75k, good work hours.

Cons

company shows favoritism to the top writers, must work all weekends.