Bio-Rad Laboratories Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Bio-Rad Laboratories President and CEO Norman Schwartz
Norman Schwartz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The company has a really good work/life balance and the benefits package is competitive overall" (in 45 reviews)

• "Flexible hours and good benefits" (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • "No chance for advancement if there is no connection to upper management personnel" (in 12 reviews)

• "If you care about business results or logical decision making, this company will crush your soul" (in 11 reviews)

"Scientist"

Current Employee - Research Scientist
    Current Employee - Research Scientist

I have been working at Bio-Rad Laboratories full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really enjoy the majority of my coworkers. Most are humble, friendly, and skilled. They don't over exert you but challenge you to bring your best. Lots of people to learn from, and you're not micromanaged.
    I've been here less than 2 years but have been insulated from any of the politics so far. I imagine there is some in other areas, but hard work generally shows.
    All my managers and superiors have …

Cons

Not everyone gets bonuses. I think the way they assess people could be better. Could have some more events, but usually related to your specific group

"Bio-Rad"

Current Employee - Research Associate III in Hercules, CA
    Current Employee - Research Associate III in Hercules, CA

I have been working at Bio-Rad Laboratories (More than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere, good people, relatively stable job.

Cons

Compensation not very competitive. Lackluster raises that fall behind rate of inflation. No stock options. Work culture and leadership leans toward being too conservative and outdated. Too much red tape to get most things accomplished.

"Company is cheap and lives in the dark ages"

Former Employee - Scientist in Hercules, CA
    Former Employee - Scientist in Hercules, CA

I worked at Bio-Rad Laboratories full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I loved my group and my manager. The day to day work was very interesting and I was encouraged to be innovative. My guess is that had more to do with my direct manager, since the company as a whole is not that way. Two stars only because I actually enjoyed my group. The company as a whole is awful.

Cons

Contrary to other reviews, the benefits are pretty mediocre compared to other companies I have worked for as a scientist. Paid holidays were minimal. No sick time separate from regular PTO. Bonus plan is laughable and has nothing to do with your performance. Salaries were on the low side for the region. We didn’t really celebrate successes. Bio-Rad won’t provided lunch for meetings or celebrations. No company sponsored team building. The most surprising thing about being a scientist at a company this large is that they STILL don’t have electronic lab notebooks! HOW?!? It’s 2018! I left because frankly, another company offered me more benefits and a better work environment. Bio-Rad also has a reputation of laying off scientists, so I never would have stayed long term even though I was great at my job. That’s why they have a difficult time retaining talent.

Advice to Management

At some point the company has to get with the modern day times and invest in new equipment and technology. Again, HOW do they not have electronic lab notebooks?! How on Earth do they expect to protect their IP or regulatory with handwritten experiments?

4. "Overall good company"

I have been working at Bio-Rad Laboratories full-time

Pros

Very considerate and empathetic of the employees
    Good pay
    Good managers

Cons

Lack of leadership in top management in IT

"Software"

I have been working at Bio-Rad Laboratories full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good stable company with good benefits

Cons

- Work pressure is too much.
    - The manager/director is really bad, so unprofessional enjoying free benefits and salary, dosen't do anything except to yell on everyone.

Advice to Management

It would be best to have a technical manager who is actively contributing to the team.

6. "Growing pains combining operations good ?"

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Hercules, CA
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Hercules, CA

I worked at Bio-Rad Laboratories full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Finally acting like a big organization

Cons

Forgetting how they became successful

Advice to Management

Treat employees with respect and have a plan not just a vision

7. "Great resume builder or long term career"

I worked at Bio-Rad Laboratories full-time

Pros

Great people, positive work envieonment, very relevant products.

Cons

Lots of bureaucracy, not much room for raises, old school mentality.

"Needs new management in order to succeed"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Bio-Rad Laboratories full-time

Pros

Good benefits and decent compensation. Stable environment. Great coworkers and supportive direct manager. Interesting and challenging projects. Lots of potential for the technology. Tons of parking. Flexibility in work hours.

Cons

Tons of politics. Inadequate resources. Inefficient processes. Lack of innovation. No accountability. Dysfunctional culture. Inability to recruit new talent as a result. People push their own agendas, often at the expense of releasing new products on time. Different groups work against each other instead of helping each other succeed. Many employees are checked-out and unmotivated. Most people, across multiple projects, are unhappy and morale is at an all-time low.

Leadership changes have led to inexperienced and incompetent upper management (director level and above). New management tends to prefer promoting people who say what they want to hear rather than those who actually get work done. Huge turnover as a result, with good talent leaving constantly. Good employees are marginalized when they offer constructive criticism, often to the point where they are forced to leave. Current management often blames old management and former employees for problems, instead of taking responsibility for mistakes.

Advice to Management

Be transparent. Admit that there are problems and be willing to listen to (rather than punish) employees who offer constructive criticism. Reward and respect employees who work hard and deliver on time. Build a culture where people are motivated to succeed.

"Can be very political"

I worked at Bio-Rad Laboratories full-time

Pros

There are a lot of smart people at Bio-Rad; the health care benefits are fantastic

Cons

It seems like the company is in flux, and politics have taken over quite a bit in the last couple years. There seems to be a great deal of positioning by politics for advancement. Bio-Rad is also a very conservative company in many ways, and reluctant to adapt to new technologies. They have a set way of doing things and there is great organizational inertia that makes change hard. This can be great if you want a stable structure that provides a framework of how to operate. If you prefer a more dynamic environment, however, it can be frustrating.

10. "Scientist for 2 years"

Current Employee - Scientist in Hercules, CA
    Current Employee - Scientist in Hercules, CA

I have been working at Bio-Rad Laboratories full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very stable job. In R and D department, many people are friendly and helpful. Very peaceful company.

Cons

No free lunch is not a good thing

Advice to Management

Think about provide free lunch for employee