Blendtec Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Blendtec CEO Tom Dickson
Tom Dickson

Pros
  • My advice, as soon as you get your free blender start looking for another job (in 9 reviews)

• The people that work at Blendtec are amazing and very talented (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Everything is run on a short term mentality, customers get pushed to the wayside while the executive team trips over dollars to pick up dimes (in 7 reviews)

• Not enough compensation per blender, long hours (in 6 reviews)

1. "Production"

Current Employee - Production in Orem, UT
    Current Employee - Production in Orem, UT

I have been working at Blendtec full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Best blender around. Love learning and Implementing lean manufacturing principles. Love the people I work with. The business has made changes for the better and headed in the right direction. I just love my job and coming to work. :-)

Cons

I don't really see any cons just opportunities to learn and grow from. :-)

Advice to Management

Keep up the good TEAM work. I know I enjoy seeing upper management come around and get to know who we are. :-)

2. "Account Manager"

I have been working at Blendtec full-time

Pros

Working at Blendtec has been an amazing experience. Boss is trusting and fair, but expects employees to work hard. Current leadership has company heading in positive direction. Competitive pay, wish there were more bonuses.

Cons

Definitely some growing pains. In December of 2015 they had a pretty big layoff with past leadership. Normal Corporate red tape, but they are trying to better the culture.

Advice to Management

None

3. "Line lead"

Former Employee - Line Lead in Orem, UT
    Former Employee - Line Lead in Orem, UT

I worked at Blendtec full-time

Pros

Great company, employees and managers. Great spirit and forward thinking. Gym, Bistro and awesome benefits to help their employees. Worked there for 2 1/2 years but quit to help out my parents back home.

Cons

More leadership and kaizen/pdca training for teams. We did it individually but there is a lot to learn so anything to keep up with it would be great.

Advice to Management

Trust your teams and accept every outcome as a tool to learn and improve.

"Wouldn't recommend now, but maybe in the future"

I have been working at Blendtec full-time

Pros

Decent PTO

Good healthcare for single individuals

Fun team building events such as the seven peaks trips

Competitive pay

The bistro provides a perfect solution for on site meals

Gym, massages and great coworkers.

Blentec is a well known company in the area and the locals love the products!

Most importantly the blenders made here have more horse power than vitamix along with better warranties.

Cons

The golden age is over for the company. The number of employees has dropped over the last couple of years and due to financial trouble there isn't much of a budget for upwards movement within the company.

The management hyped up two sister company's recently promising endless potential, but both companies seem to be struggling to even sell products to employees at significant discounts. From my perspective blendtec needs all of the help it needs right now and the two sister company's draining finances while blendtec is seemingly struggling to stay afloat doesn't help anyone. Everyone has to innovate to stay on top but so far the sister company tactic is showing little to no return.

The company is family run (and i say run instead of owned because I'm not sure anybody knows who owns what since investors have recently got involved) which comes with its own set of pros and cons. You know how people say wealth made is always lost by the third generation? That seems to be the case here. The current CEO made his fortune through either accidental ingenuity or being a genius engineer... either way you look at it, his generation of the family was the one that made this all happen. You can say whatever you want about his role in the company now but he's the reason we all have a job today.

The CEO's son, Thomas, seems to be competent at what he does and I really don't have much good or bad to say about him. He seems to have more control of the company as far as who makes the decisions right now so only time can show wether he's good at what he does or not.

Now we get to the third generation who seem to be loose cannons and depending on which grandson you're interacting with your experience can either be positive or negative. The overall perception of the 3rd generation isn't a positive one for the company and I hope by the time they come of age to take the reigns in (assuming the same family still runs the company by then) that they have had some serious time to mature and become business men .

Advice to Management

Focus on the essentials to keep blendtec functioning. Get back to quarterly rewards to keep employees happy and hopeful in the company reaching the golden age again. which allowed for more upwards movement, more innovation, better employees, and happier employees.

Rein in the third generation. If you want the company to stay family owned and continue functioning make sure the future leaders aren't the ones squandering the success of previous generations. As it is now the employee parking lot is a playground holding many of the third generations toys. Think about that... the same parking lot (now fired) employees used to fill up is so empty the 3rd generation just uses it to house their many vehicles and toys. That doesn't give a good image to employees whose benefits have been cut, quarterly bonuses removed, and family members fired for the "survival of the company".

Continue to be transparent on company news and progress during the monthly employee meetings. I still have hope we can make it back to the good ole' days! Viva La Blendtec!

6. "Awesome"

Current Employee - Warehouse
    Current Employee - Warehouse

I have been working at Blendtec part-time

Pros

Super flexible hours and great pay

Cons

Takes forever to get hired on

Advice to Management

Hiring takes forever

"Finance"

I worked at Blendtec full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing people. Amazing product. Cool technology. Earning potential can be pretty good.

Cons

The management at this company is a total joke. I interacted with the top of the company for a long time. They are all treated like demi-gods and take ZERO responsibility for mistakes. I've seen management fire entire departments over hurt feelings.

Advice to Management

Let real professionals run this company. It wouldn't even take visionaries... just people who understand business metrics and happy culture. Current management changes their mind every three months.

"Marketing Position- Say no to Blendtec"

Former Employee - Marketing in Orem, UT
    Former Employee - Marketing in Orem, UT

I worked at Blendtec full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are excellent people, but are dwindling quickly due to layoffs and finding other, better jobs.

Great product. Amazing customers.

Free Blendtec after 90 days.

Cons

Management is terrible. There is zero vision in this company. Everything is run on a short term mentality, customers get pushed to the wayside while the executive team trips over dollars to pick up dimes.

It is family owned, which is a terrible situation. Members of the family get treated like royalty while this ship sinks.

There are two "sister" companies: Blendfresh and GEO, that get 90% of the attention from the Blendtec executive staff. Management is always trying to piggyback the sister companies onto everything that Blendtec does, causing confusion in the marketplace and makes all marketing efforts for Blendtec vain. There isn't enough cashflow to do anything in marketing anyway. It's always about what's free to do or what we can trade product for.

They will let your coworkers go and you will inherit all the additional responsibility with no additional pay.

In summary: It's got the mentality of a poorly run startup with the responsibility of a much larger company.

Advice to Management

Step down, give ownership of the company to someone that knows what they are doing.

"Regional Outside Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orem, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orem, UT

I worked at Blendtec (More than 3 years)

Pros

Potential income, time off, sales experience

Cons

Travel, 1099, huge fluctuation of salary, not given control of territory

Advice to Management

I would advise to avoid working here

"Such Potential"

Former Employee - Graphic Design in Orem, UT
    Former Employee - Graphic Design in Orem, UT

Pros

Tremendous potential for growth and success. Friendly, hard working people. Casual environment & high tech facility. Real brilliance in the engineering dept., with talent, and innovation that is unrivaled in the industry.

Cons

Nepotism and arrogance at the top levels has led to a "don't rock the boat" mindset among managers, and sort of a yes-man culture. That, paired with cluelessness from the pilots about how to turn the ship around, has this company destined for obscurity and irrelevance, if not total catastrophe.

Advice to Management

The best thing this company could possibly do is convince the family in charge to retire. Completely new ownership could save the brand, and the technology. Blendtec is an example of the right product in the wrong hands, and until it lands in the right hands, the company will continue to struggle and flounder, while other brands eat their lunch.

"Team Lead"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orem, UT

I have been working at Blendtec full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Culture, good perks, on site Bistro and clinic.

Cons

No communication, people never know where to draw the line.

Advice to Management

Trust that other people can get their job done, improve your own department not the others.