Block Reviews

57 Comments

Tech

206.9K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Block~422050
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "Terrible management to those who are contractors (minus the Customer Success/Support teams who have the best managers)(in 27 reviews)
  • "Extremely low pay for silicon valley standards.(in 24 reviews)
  • "The managers have also out sourced a lot of their work to tendered advocates so they don't provide any support for calls or take escalations.(in 19 reviews)
  • "Long hours and confusing reorganizations(in 8 reviews)
  • "Lack of diversity(in 7 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Block and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Best place I've ever worked by far

May 16, 2022 - Engineering Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've worked at lots of other tech companies, from tiny startups to a big, sprawling brand name. Block (and specifically Square) is still far and away the best culture I've ever worked in. People are really smart and hard working but not competitive. I never feel pressured to give up my work/life balance. There's a lot of room for individuals and teams to try new ways of working, new features, new products. Every team I work with is helpful and has a great attitude.

Cons

With so much autonomy for teams, it can be hard to get everyone "rowing together." If you want to succeed in any sort of a leadership role, you'll need to be good at making a convincing case for big initiatives.

2. 5.0

great place

May 12, 2022 - Business Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

good work and engaging ppl, great culture

Cons

lower on cash comp than other firms

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great team

May 9, 2022 - Content Specialist in Phoenix, AZ
    Business Outlook

Pros

I'm lucky to be with a team that cares about the humans behind all the work. I never feel left behind or unseen. In fact, it always feels like my best interest is kept in mind.

Cons

Typical stresses but rarely anything major.

4. 5.0

Great place to work

May 9, 2022 - Customer Support Advocate in Scottsdale, AZ
    Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent pay and benefits Advancement opportunities galore

Cons

Training and support isn't as strong as it used to be.

5. 5.0

Great WLB & Mission

May 7, 2022 - IOS Engineer in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Mission and helping Sellers - Autonomy - Smart & Kind People - Unlimited PTO - Eng first

Cons

- Stock drop and not focusing enough on retaining talent affected by TC drop

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good place with good comp

May 5, 2022 - Chief of Staff in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Social Cause, Compensation, Diversity, Technology, Learning

Cons

Chaotic in general, frequent changes, over communication

7. 3.0

Ecommerce Sector

May 17, 2022 - Customer Success in Atlanta, GA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work From Home, Stock Options

Cons

Inconsistent Metrics and low level training

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Finally

Apr 29, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Having come from one or two companies in tech where I really felt burned to the ground this has been an amazing opportunity and really life changing. If you like collaborating, the challenge of a start up without the burn out of a start up and the stability of a larger company without basically feeling invisible this is a happy medium Finally….a company that truly believes in inclusion and diversity allows remote work (otherwise you are really hiring from one demographic in your office radius). Many preach it, Block practices it. Pros WL balance Remote first culture Pay, benefits, equity

Cons

None so far Things can change quickly in fintech just like tech

1 person found this review helpful
  9. 4.0

Great place to be

May 13, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Company culture is amazing and they care about employees

Cons

Career progression is a big tough

10. 2.0

Sales Org is a MESS

May 11, 2022 - Business Development in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Not sure if there are any right now.

Cons

Leadership is spinning in circles with no real direction.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 920 Reviews

Block Reviews FAQs

Block has an overall rating of 4.2 out of 5, based on over 1,010 reviews left anonymously by employees. 85% of employees would recommend working at Block to a friend and 76% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -1% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Block employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.0 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Block. This rating has decreased by -7% over the last 12 months.

85% of Block employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Block 4.0 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.3 for culture and values and 4.1 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Block to be senior leadership, career development, benefits and the cons to be compensation, management.

Popular Careers with Block Job Seekers