Bodybuilding.com Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Richard Jalichandra

Pros
  • 401k, Great benefits, gym reimbursement (in 15 reviews)

• The benefits extended to the onsite gym, unlimited flex time off, great work life balance and flexibility and a very high trust environment (in 8 reviews)

1. "AWESOME"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

I have been working at Bodybuilding.com full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I absolutely love the company

Cons

There are absolutely no CONS

"Lost. Chasing their tail."

Current Employee - Engineering in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Engineering in Boise, ID

I have been working at Bodybuilding.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There's a gym onsite and the office is very nice (though the entire ground floor has been emptied due to employee cuts and turnover, they have way too much space).

Cons

Are they Verity? Vitalize? A holding company? Bodybuilding.com struggles began well before their founder, Ryan Deluca departed and have continued through 2 CEO changes. RJ, who had a vision for change and Jas who is trying to pick up the pieces and keep the ship afloat. Very high risk assessment stems from:

Enormous $350m debt (according to public filings)
    Substantial revenue decrease (YoY)
    Multiple fulfillment and location closures
    Massive layoffs
    Employee turnover and moral
    Brutal competition in ecomm/retail space
    Inept leadership team (check LinkedIn for professional experience)
    Inability to find an interested buyer (currently owned by Liberty Interactive)

Perhaps the most concerning aspect of this company is their politics with regard to employee culture. There is very little trust among peers: secret meetings and looking over your shoulder - not a pleasant place to be.

Advice to Management

I'm not sure. I don't have the answer. I don't envy the position the company is in and I certainly wouldn't recommend this to anyone I care about.

"Bad"

Former Employee - Inventory in New Berlin, WI
    Former Employee - Inventory in New Berlin, WI

I worked at Bodybuilding.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Health benefits and that was pretty much it.

Cons

Way too many to bother listing, all I can say is if yous like dirt go in with a empty stomach.

Advice to Management

Takes actual on the job experience not something that's taught in a classroom. Also being a human being and know how to treat one.

"BBCOM is for sale - get out now!"

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Boise, ID

I have been working at Bodybuilding.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun coworkers, OK benefits, free gym

Cons

Well, now that the second CEO left I think it's time everyone else wakes up and sees BBCOM for what it is- a failing company. RJ's whole LinkedIn profile history is fixing broken companies and selling them and lots of mergers and acquisitions. He couldn't even do that for BBCOM! We are going to route of shoes.com and going bankrupt. Amazon is obliterating specialty ecommerce stores and we can't compete. Whoever wasn't laid off in December will see the pink slip within a year but most likely without a nice severance package.

Corporate restructuring. HR team that has been whittled down. Shrinking benefits. Failed second CEO. Liberty does not want us and I can't believe some of my coworkers are still oblivious. I'm searching for an new job and I suggest everyone else do the same!

Advice to Management

No advice - but to Liberty, perhaps be more honest with your employees and stop pretending BBCOM is doing well by placing Jas at the helm just because he's charismatic.

"Started well, ended bad."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

I worked at Bodybuilding.com full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great peers that shared same goals to help others become healthy and fit.

Cons

After CEO left, new one didn't share the same culture.

7. "Shipping supervisor"

Former Employee - Shipping Supervisor in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Shipping Supervisor in Boise, ID

I worked at Bodybuilding.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of hours, lots of excercise, great medical benefits

Cons

Low pay, warehouse labor treated poorly

Advice to Management

Higher pay

8. "Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boise, ID

I worked at Bodybuilding.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

nice working environment. helpful people. focus on health, fitness, etc

Cons

less or no training for new comers

"Bbcom Review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

I worked at Bodybuilding.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company provides great benefits, and the people who work there are amazing. They do a lot of employee relations things, like BBQs on fridays in the summer, a Santa party around Christmas, and a lot of departmental contests. Also there is a fantastic gym onsite and aminos on tap :)

Cons

The communication between departments in this company is not good. Terrible might be a better word. They need to assume the best in people and invest in specific learning and development programs in all departments, which might be some time, since they just had to reduce the workforce.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep in mind the customer and the real reason this company exists - to help people change their life for the better through health and nutrition. Figure out free shipping ASAP.

"Think twice"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Portland, OR

I worked at Bodybuilding.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The engineering team is working on moving the company's technology stack to a micro services architecture deployed to Amazon Web Services. There is a lot of interesting things to work on.

Cons

There has been a lot of instability at the company for the last year and a half. The just laid off 15% of the workforce after months of insisting that that was not going to happen. It is especially risky for those who are not at the corporate headquarters in Boise.

I'm not convinced that the new corporate direction is well thought through. They're trying to add new audiences but may be taking their eye off of their core constituency.

"Sinking Ship"

Current Employee - Support Analyst in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Support Analyst in Boise, ID

I have been working at Bodybuilding.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

All of the reasons that I began my career almost 4 years ago with bodybuilding.com, no longer exist. It is a company that is running in the red, in financial trouble, and the subsidiary that removed the founding CEO and replaced him with another corporate robot has destroyed the brand's image, shattered the customers loyalty to the company, driven employee morale to almost zero, and just made it plain horrible to go to work. Bodybuilding.com was once the top company to work for in Idaho. After terminating 15% of the 700 employees, without notice, two weeks before Christmas, speaks to the despicable-mess that lurks in the higher channels.

Cons

You cannot trust anyone, there is no loyalty whatsoever it's everyone for themselves. When I say that it is amateur hour, it is literally a joke, in the four years that I've been there, almost all of the original employees have been terminated, all of the HR department has become a revolving door, no one knows what the policies are no one knows what to do in certain cases, the leadership across all departments is abusive and uses fear mongering tactics to control the frontline employees. Even some of the most unpopular "executives" and I use that term loosely because some of the executives have only associate degrees or no college education at all were terminated. If I could sum up the current state of the company in one word, Titanic. Jump ship as fast as you can and do not be lured by their immoral recruiters and sub par pay.

Advice to Management

Management doesn't listen, they did these hokey surveys over the last two years and none of the changes that were suggested were implemented. My advice to the management would be to turn in theIr leased Mercedes and Range Rover's, buy a Kia and find a job more suitable for their skills and education, like a cashier at Target. 90% of all people in any sort of leadership or management role are vindictive, reactive, retaliatory, and immoral. Disgusting.