Bodybuilding.com Reviews | Glassdoor

Richard Jalichandra

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Bodybuilding.com"

I worked at Bodybuilding.com full-time

Pros

Enjoyed working here for 10 years

Cons

Nothing overlay negative to say.

"Can't recommend unless you're desperate for a temporary position"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Bodybuilding.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Technology stack is vaguely interesting.
    Working on a large web presence is a great experience
    A lot of fun people to work with

Cons

A lot of volatility
    They can't seem to focus on one thing but instead change their mind every other month, wasting lots of engineering time and effort.
    Declining profits means everything is getting scaled back
    No raises this year
    Certain bosses are truly not nice people who do not like disagreement or your own opinion
    Questionable business decisions
    Questionable treatment of customers in order to stop the declining revenues
    Employees mysteriously disappear without a real explanation

Advice to Management

Ask your engineers how their bosses are doing. You'll get a very different picture than what those bosses are telling you.

"Great company, still fun to work at but changes are in order."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

I have been working at Bodybuilding.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Bodybuilding.com has a really great, relaxed atmosphere and if you play your cards right offers some wonderful opportunities for growth. The people are wonderful to work with and at least in my department there was virtually no drama.

Cons

The company is definitely going through growing pains. It is rapidly losing extremely talented people, which will backfire at some point in the future.

Advice to Management

Put in more of an effort to retain our most talented folks--Partially because it is valuable to have them but also because everyone else will flock around the heavy hitters. I recently witnessed several people leave following a team lead.

"Worse Than a Year Ago"

I have been working at Bodybuilding.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free gym onsite and health insurance

Cons

- More layoffs, but in smaller quantities and spaced out so the company doesn’t have to legally report it to the labor board

-No raises this year

- Even MORE scaled back benefits

- I’ve seen the financial numbers- they aren’t good!!!

- Loss is talent to other Boise companies (or out of state in some cases)

- Morale keeps dropping and the smarter people keep leaving for greener pastures

-Company still for sale but offers aren’t good enough apparently which is a joke as we are in deep debt

Advice to Management

I am a manager and have no advice to the others.

"Good People, Terrible Engineering Management"

I have been working at Bodybuilding.com full-time

Pros

For the most part the people at the company are pleasant to be around and there are talented engineers.
    Product discount, on-site gym, supplement samples.
    Depending on your state, you can work remotely so long as you don't live in the Boise area.
    The non-managers who are still around seem to really care about the company. You'd have to to stick around right now.

Cons

Management is terrible, there are managers/execs who seem to be systematically laying off anyone who disagrees with their opinion and it appears that the executives either don't realize what is happening, don't care, or are fine with it.
    These layoffs have killed any vibe there was. It's almost like people are waiting around to see who is next.
    The great culture of the past that everyone talks about is basically dead. The office is pretty solemn most of the time.
    Engineers get very little credit and benefits but are also expected to put in tons of work. The perks/benefit/regard to work ratio is probably the worst I have seen among most modern "tech" companies.
    Certain managers seem to only be looking out for themselves.

Advice to Management

At the executive level, I would suggest they really look at what is going on and try to weed out the managers who are obviously self serving. Also, at least try to make it look like you care about your engineers and their suggestions. The more people that are laid off, the more people who leave preemptively .

"Great company, relaxed atmosphere, fun to work at"

I have been working at Bodybuilding.com full-time

Pros

Unlimited PTO, work autonomously, customer focused

Cons

Disorganized a bit from growing so quickly

"Management Sadly Lacking"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

I worked at Bodybuilding.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good benefits but they are being cut

Cons

employees take advantage of not-structured atmosphere, my boss was horribly in over his head and leadership in dept. was a joke

Advice to Management

Do evaluations in which employees can rate their bosses. SORELY NEEDED!

"Great company experiencing an identity crisis, but will bounce back."

Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Boise, ID

I worked at Bodybuilding.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Collaborative, great team, amazing benefits, flexible. Employees are important, and pay was relatively reflective of that. Great opportunity to learn.

Cons

Maverick mentality at a company that should be more established with longer term goals. Preached about the same problems for years, but have had no success in correcting or stemming the tide.

"See the back button in the top left corner? Back out, don't apply."

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in New Berlin, WI
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in New Berlin, WI

I worked at Bodybuilding.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free shelf, Coworkers are incredible. Honestly speaking, the negativity is what brings laughter around this place. The biggest joke going around is "Am I getting fired yet?' The morale is extremely low so to have people you can connect with is really what makes it tolerable.

The receptionist is awesome. Super nice, greets you into your day every morning. She always plans the work luncheons. (She always makes great choices for the food!) Although, "budget" has been low and luncheons just don't exist anymore.

Cons

If I could rate the company lower then one star, I would. But I cannot.

Favoritism, Lack of proper management, Management abuses their roles, Company's nonexistent"budget" to give raises/promotions, Constant revolving door of poor work ethic temps, No work/life balance, No advancement anymore, Should I keep going? Have I concerned you yet? No? Alright, Let's keep going.

My FAVORITE part of the job is the constant "downsizing" of management, and the best reasoning behind it. "It's not in the budget." But that's what all the employees hear when trying to get the rightful raise they deserve. You see, Quite a bit of the hard working employees are stuck taking on responsibilities that they shouldn't have to, unless they were promoted with the DESERVED raise. I can tell you I am a few grand in the hole with the raise I should of received a long time ago. The whole two people of management we have just keep running in circles, not really doing anything to better the company/warehouse. Don't care enough as long as the daily orders go out. We had "leads", which one walked out the door recently because higher management literally pushed her, and upset her daily till it was uncomfortable for her to work there any longer.

If you are a hired on full timer, Best believe if you don't work hard... You are screwing the actual people that do. Management will tell you they know the person not working hard is being watched and they are documenting it. But then while they are "documenting" it, they will continue you to expect you to pick up the slack. I mean how much documenting do you need before they finally do something about it? Too much I tell you. I seen someone being "documented for months before they were FINALLY let go. The company wants to talk about saving money, but keeps people around doing 1/4 of the hourly/daily goals. To be clear, most of the employees do not work at the rate they should. Again, who cares how the work gets done, if it gets done right? Wrong. You should expect certain employees to bust booty while others go to the bathroom 80x times during the day, sits on their phones, etc.

The revolving door of temps is my favorite too. We have so many temps going in and out of the door. Poor employees training them are pretty much wasting time. Most temps don't make it through the first day. Is this Bbcom's way of trying to save money? Feel like it's not the smartest way to go around it. Wouldn't hiring people that apply for the job, and know what to expect be a better idea? Management doesn't even give most temps a chance to learn the job. This last month, almost all temps that came in the door, if they didn't stop showing up, they were let go there first week with the company.

Proper time use is a good one too, Black Friday is coming up, and the company feels having 2-3 people daily making "goodie bags" for orders. Tons of hours wasted because the amount we are making is going to be gone in a day or two. It's a waste of time and company money.

" We need you to help leadership be successful." Said by someone in higher management. In other words it doesn't matter, they don't care if ground level employees move up. They NEED YOU to bust your butt to make sure LEADERSHIP is successful.

Management will go back on rules/regulations to do what they need to, to make sure everything gets done. They don't care how it's done, but it needs to be. Order wise.

The job description for some management positions have completely changed. The supervisor used to run the desk, and leads either ran the front, or picked and made sure all was well. Now the leads get to run the desk.

Current management is letting the "lowest" part of managment take on way more responsibilities, relieving stress off the management that should be taking care of those things. Management is full of double standards. Management enjoys to stand around and talk to the people in the building they favorite fore 20 to 30 minutes at a time, but if you are caught even asking a question to someone they know you are friends/relationship with, you best watch out. Management gets
     When the leads are running the desk, I've seen with my own eyes, doing more then one job. The poor guys are running the desk, doing numbers every hour on the hour, Running over to do pallets, Picking WHILE running the desk, Even scanning while running the desk, to assure everything will be done. While management hides in their offices with no idea what's actually going on, on the floor. Most of the time they don't even get out of there desks, 100x a day on the radio you hear, "________, Can you come to my office." VS. SEEING WHAT IS ACTUALLY HAPPENING. You almost never see management hoping on the floor to help on a busy day, instead they ask why so and so isn't hitting goal, telling leads you need to do your rounds and "talks". Why don't they do that since leads are running the desk, and doing far more things at once?

Don't expect to have a life outside of work, This job is highly exhausting, working 8-7pm, and expect to work late almost every day. When the Birthday Sale, Black Friday, and Cyber Monday come around expect to work 7-7 days 6 days a week. On normal weeks, if there is a sale that really hit and outbound falls behind, they will give you VERY short notice on mandatory overtime. It's just a game of never knowing when you'll be forced into extra hours. So don't really expect to be able to make plans.

Another big con is who they choose to promote. They choose the wrong people, then act blind to the fact that it probably wasn't the right choice. But promotions don't exist, management team is getting smaller and smaller. They promote quite a bit of people who don't deserve the promotions, they play favorites here, once again. They will hand a promotion to someone, but if someone else wanted to apply they tell them "They need to apply, and have the interview process."

If you've gotten this far, I'm impressed. But I also hope I've scared you away from this place. I'm only being honest since the company won't be.

Favoritism - One employee that deserves a promotion could ask about a position and be told to apply for it and have to interview for it, but then a week later the position would be filled with no posting or interviews.
    (But don't be fooled this is from at least a year ago, when PROMOTIONS were a thing, Now they eliminate positions and have you do the work without compensation.)
    If your a favorite you get to run around and do random jobs without worrying about your actual job, while the others are drowning in the abundance of the work load. Then get MVP for it. While other months will get eliminated because two hard working employees "tied" during the voting.

Lastly, management has said, "If you aren't happy with the job and how it's ran, Leave." I just don't suggest talking to your employees because if people finally up and leave, especially your core strong-willed employees that stuck it through this far leave, the warehouse is doomed. From the revolving door of temps, to the crappy working fulltimers, to the not managing management, The place would go downhill fast.

The work place is only as great as the company treats even their lowest employees, and Bodybuilding.... you are failing.

One more thing, They are not hiring on full timers anymore, only through temp agencies, I know I said this, Previously but most temps are fired within their first weeks. So if you are checking this out because your placed here from a temp agency. Be warned.

Advice to Management

Actually do your job. If you aren't setting up the warehouse to close, you might want to actually make some smarter decisions. Stop making rash decisions and then reverting back to the original plan within a days work. I feel that's more then a handful of your wasted money.

COMMUNICATION. As a higher authority, you should know what that word means right? If there is a problem, do not be secretive about it. Be open with everyone that works there, and ADDRESS the issue. Do not lie to YOUR employees faces, and expect them to be happy with the work place when they find out you weren't be honest. Don't withhold the truth either, If you know the answer, don't give false hope.

Stop making the same mistakes multiple times. I think that is enough said for that one. Don't try idiotic ideas multiple times and expect the next time to be better.

LISTEN TO YOUR EMPLOYEES - There are some smart and wonderful people on the floor. That have ideas that could really help the company/warehouse further. Don't pretend to listen to the ideas and shoe them away. Actually listen and even attempt to put them in action. I mean, honestly, if you as management, are constantly reattempting stupid ideas, it's not gonna hurt to try someone else's smart idea? Or is that too hard to comprehend?

I think if you'd fix even the smallest few things I've said in the review, maybe just maybe, the morale of this place would turn around. If not, I'll be taking bets on when the place is shutting down.

I know management is trying to make the company a fun place to work, and they want to give us things to do on lunches. But spending already the "budget" the company is on pool tables, ping pong tables, mini gym, why don't you focus that part of the budget on something else to HELP the company grow to be better.

"Not a place to work anytime soon"

I worked at Bodybuilding.com full-time

Pros

Good benefits and work life balance.

Cons

On top of the insane politics, the company is in a downward spiral. They are getting rid of employees left and right and all of the other employees are leaving because the company is going downhill. Not a good place if you are looking for a stable job.

Advice to Management

I don't really know if management is fixable at this point. It's a mess at the top.