Bodybuilding.com Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.5
Jas Krdzalic

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The work-life balance is utterly amazing, along with the company supporting fitness and health" (in 10 reviews)

• "Super company with great benefits" (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • "Being in customer service you are treated horribly compared to the rest of the company" (in 8 reviews)

• "Work-life balance is not good in some, but not all, departments" (in 4 reviews)

1. "Marketing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

I have been working at Bodybuilding.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Super company with great benefits. From day one they made this the best career move ever. Recruiting me was the best experience I have ever had with a company. New plans for the company future are energizing and promising. Most people are here to make the company successful. Good vibes mostly.

Cons

Sour and negative employees that are not down for change and make it bad for new employees who want to succeed personally and help the company succeed. Work a lot of hours but mainly it is because there are a lot of lazy employees left from the past. Not even balanced working hours for people on same teams is not fair.

Advice to Management

Keep making changes. We have a lot to fix so get rid of the nay sayers employees that are bringing us down. It is easy to ignore them but we are always cleaning up the mess they are probably making purposely because they don’t care. Thank you for planting the tree of new beginnings. I have only been here for two years so I don’t know a lot about things before that but know we needed it.

2. "Getting Better Everyday"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

I have been working at Bodybuilding.com full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits are better than other companies I have worked at in Oregon and Boise + Gym onsite + Fun things for employees and families many times a year+ great ideas for companys future

Cons

Still have some employees that are not in to win. We hold on to bad employees too long and give too many chances.

Advice to Management

Keep getting rid of employees that don't want to work hard!!!!!!

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Bodybuilding.com full-time

Pros

I have read few the reviews on this page, and while I see some of the points I have to say the pros of working here far out weight the cons.

One PRO: WHY- why is the most important question and one you should ask yourself before working at any origination. Why bbcom does what they do is to help people. To work for a company that wants to help people be happier and healthier is a benefit not found else where. The gym on site is a nice touch and the benefits truly are employee orientated. not to mention a nice 401k match and great time off.

Cons

People do not trust the process. Meaning some current employees are more worried about little amenities more than they are worried about helping the company progress.

4. "New Direction, New lies, No Money"

I have been working at Bodybuilding.com full-time

Pros

Honeymoon phase for new employees is great. Benefits are great and awesome to have a gym to train in.

Cons

Once you find out what really goes on here its disheartening and sad. So many people are sold a bag of goods when coming to work here. Can't get out fast enough. So many people are sold a bag of goods, then they are demoralized by the CEO and so many other leaders. Leadership here needs to take a class on ethics. Starting at the top. Be careful with the HR and legal teams too. They want you to think they are here to help you but they make rules as they go (legal or not) They lack ethics and moral standards.

Communication is the worst. It used to be that they weren't tell us anything. Now they are making up lies. Thankfully I have a great manager that tells me the truth. The well is beyond Dry. Be honest about it at least.

Advice to Management

Quit stuffing your pockets with promotions before you go bankrupt and take care of us people who have been working hard for what we love about this company.

"Lack of Leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

I worked at Bodybuilding.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are generous at Bodybuiding.com

Cons

Leadership is lacking in industry knowledge and not open to learning from long term employees

Advice to Management

Open communication and direction is needed

6. "Amazing company culture"

I have been working at Bodybuilding.com full-time

Pros

The company work/life balance is amazing. Great benefits, management is fantastic.

Cons

Pay is below market average. Communication could be better between all departments.

Advice to Management

Work on communication, and value talent among employees instead of by "popularity"

"Great downfall of a once great company"

I have been working at Bodybuilding.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flex time off is great

Cons

- Bonuses and raises have been scaled way back.

- What was once an open book approach to running a company now is a closed door affair which leaves you wondering what is really happening.

-Company doesn't invest in employees. Will let top talent and long time invested employees just walk out the door.

-Pay is well below industry standards. Asking for a raise gets you answers like "Well start looking for another job"

-Hard work and dedication often goes unnoticed

- Lot of positions are filled by people that have no business in managing or working in their department.

Advice to Management

Invest in the employees that help drive your department. Don't tell me that "there are a lot of other companies hiring" when I ask for a raise. Motivate, appreciate, and help your employees strive for goals. When those goals are met reward them, don't give them a speech about budget. Don't be afraid to make the moves needed to push your department further

"Death throes of a dynasty"

Former Employee - Engineer in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Engineer in Boise, ID

I worked at Bodybuilding.com full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Corporate gym, above average (but declining) benefits. Likely an attractive acquisition target and the new owners may treat you better or at least offer a decent severance package.

Cons

Since the dismissal of the company founder BBCom has gone through multiple CEOs, each taking a different angle to right the clearly sinking ship. Many managers cannot be trusted and leadership is completely opaque. The only reliable thing from leadership is that they'll break nearly every promise made. Top-down communication is non-existent. Promised 360 reviews never materialized after an initial rollout, likely because the reviews of management were so negative and rather than facing reality they chose to ignore clear signs of incompetence and mismanagement. HR is in shambles. The company can't hire quality talent or even conduct a decent exit interview. Bro-culture still runs the show. Women need not apply unless you're slim, pretty and keep opinions to yourself.

Advice to Management

It's time for a reality check. Do an honest assessment of managers, VPs and C-level executives. Many couldn't carry their weight anywhere else and only remain because they're legacies. If you want to survive, clean house at the top. C-level, VP and director level management in the engineering and HR spaces are the greatest threats to the company's survival. Pick a focus and direction and stick to it. Start addressing the outrageous technical debt that's been ignored for years in favor of adding shiny things to the stack.

"Company does not value employees"

Former Employee - Key Account Manager in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Key Account Manager in Boise, ID

I worked at Bodybuilding.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Promotes healthy lifestyle, onsite gym, good benefits (for now),

Cons

Everything leadership, director or above. There are few good ones but more bad than good. Literally no management, training, or development. Company does not invest in its employees. office vibe is closed doors and information is on a need to know basis only. Management does not appreciate questioning as the direction is their way or there is the door. I could go on but have better things to do. Work here are your own risk.

Advice to Management

Leave and go back to corporate america. Re-establish a work culture that made the company great and new management destroyed.

"Can't recommend unless you're desperate for a temporary position"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Bodybuilding.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Technology stack is vaguely interesting.
    Working on a large web presence is a great experience
    A lot of fun people to work with

Cons

A lot of volatility
    They can't seem to focus on one thing but instead change their mind every other month, wasting lots of engineering time and effort.
    Declining profits means everything is getting scaled back
    No raises this year
    Certain bosses are truly not nice people who do not like disagreement or your own opinion
    Questionable business decisions
    Questionable treatment of customers in order to stop the declining revenues
    Employees mysteriously disappear without a real explanation

Advice to Management

Ask your engineers how their bosses are doing. You'll get a very different picture than what those bosses are telling you.