Booz Allen Hamilton Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Booz Allen Hamilton President and CEO Horacio D. Rozanski
Horacio D. Rozanski

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Amazing work-life balance with the most flexible schedule in the industry" (in 569 reviews)

• "Work from home, community sharing" (in 94 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work/life balance in management" (in 197 reviews)

• "Mostly young inexperienced gossiping chatter boxes with a lack of work ethic" (in 90 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Company"

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time

Pros

6% 401k match, great networking opportunities, management cares about your growth and development

Cons

Rapid expansion has caused growing pains- limited work space

2. "Grow with the company"

Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

As a consultant you will be able to work on lots of different projects and wear different hats. It helps you become a well rounded consultant.

Cons

Pay raise could be better

"Great people, terrible business"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in McLean, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are great. Everyone -- even the difficult types -- are eager to work and excel. There are some senior officers with questionable morality, but most people here are great people to work with.

Cons

1. Federal clients. Don't forget that you'll move at their pace, not yours.
    2. The nature of the job means that sooner or later you'll be strategizing ways to get more money from the client (i.e. federal government), regardless of whether or not you'll actually add value. BAH runs on government money, a large chunk from DoD, and thus is part of the bigger problem we have in this country with fiscal responsibility.
    3. Living off the American taxpayer. Much of the money that flies around in DC is at the expense of everyone else everywhere else in the US, BAH is a major player in this system, particularly the defense technology sector.
    4. You'll never get paid what you're worth. The three lowest ranks (Consultant, Sr. Consultant, Associate) seldom make what they're worth, while senior management (looking at you, officers) make insane amounts of money.

Advice to Management

I'm leaving this job for two reasons, despite being hand-picked and groomed for greater responsibility by senior management.

1. You weren't paying me enough to do the job; especially when you factor in the amount of stress this job puts on a human being, the amount of time I sacrificed with my family, the amount of guilt this job inspired in me as an American.
    2. The job is not meaningful to anyone who doesn't lust for profits. At some point each of us gets a look at how the sausage is made, and then it becomes clear that the government is basically asking (literally sending out solicitations and announcements) to be ripped off. They don't need what we're selling, but they buy it anyways because Congress tells them to. This buys Congress fancy retirement plans at the same businesses that profit. But everyone else loses, and Booz Allen isn't doing enough to be a part of our nation's long-term fiscal stability.

4. "Great Company - results may vary"

Current Employee - FMV Analyst in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - FMV Analyst in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Booz Allen really seems to back up what they say regarding taking care of their people with their family leave and bereavement policies. Leadership has taken steps to show greater transparency in the decision-making process and communication. Generous 401k matching, good pay, flexibility for training, educational benefits, and other perks.

Cons

Local leadership overpromises career progression or schedule management and underdelivers on both. No effort in growing or stressing professional (job-related) development for the weak and inexperienced hires. Does not even attempt to tactically sell peripheral services, but rushes to take on responsibility from the client and push additional work to current employees. A threat to quit or other tantrum is louder to leadership than a dialog of reason and logic.

Advice to Management

Local leadership needs to work more as a team.

5. "Innovative and Work-life Home-life Balanced Company"

Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Incredible people to work with.
    Excellent pay and benefits;
    Interesting work
    Open to innovative ideas

Cons

Significant pressure to stay billable on client work increased throughout my 5+ years with BAH. This started to consistently result in my working in field I was not hired into (but had a lot of experience in) and not passionate about.

Advice to Management

Change pay raises and award incentives to "team" vice "individual". Until you do that, when it comes to new business, people will hold their own IC from others. Although the culture is extremely professional and polite, there is an undercurrent of not sharing "completely" for promotion purposes.

Aligning people to work that they are passionate about in addition to "good at" will go a long way in retention.

Obtain more targeted employee input into major market decisions. There are so many points of view to explore.

6. "Great company; lacked career path in this position"

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time

Pros

Great benefits, great people, positive environment.

Cons

Long hours, low ceiling for this type of job, high expectations.

7. "Solid company"

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent career opportunities for someone who is willing to put in the time to understand the complex customers needs. Either fresh out of college or military career this can be an excellent company to transfer your skills to a valuable member of a team who is providing solutions to an ever evolving clients.

Cons

Solid working environment- I have no complaints about the opportunity I had there.

"Great company and culture"

Current Employee - Associate in Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Associate in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are fantastic. Booz Allen matches your 401k contributions up to 6% of your salary. The company culture is great and they really try to reach out to employees on a regular basis. Telecom positions are hard to come by, but they do exist. If you have a good Career Manager you'll go far in this firm.

Cons

My biggest complaint is that there is no tracking on internal talent and the skillsets they have so the firm is constantly hiring for certain capabilities. This is most frustrating when you are looking for a new contract and you see open positions that you fit, but it's a capability hire which means you cannot apply for it. Which leads me to the way you work at Booz Allen; when your contract ends it is your responsibility to find another "job" within the firm. If you don't find a new contract within a certain period of time (I believe it's 2 or 3 months) you get a warning letter that if you don't have a job within 2 weeks you will be let go.

Advice to Management

Figure out a way to track the talent you already have and stop hiring so many people when you have so many current employees on the bench. Tracking your talent will make it easier to place them on new contracts when their contract ends and they're looking for something new.

9. "Great in some ways, bad in others"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in San Diego, CA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Very intelligent co-workers.

- Opportunity to work on technology you would otherwise not get to interact with.

- Large number of contracts ensures that work is consistent.

- Some managers can be great and supportive.

Cons

- Top-heavy management structure. They even introduced another layer recently, the "job leader" (on top of the job manager, lead associate, Sr associate, etc.)

- Competitive atmosphere can bring out the worst in some people.

- A certain Sr. Associate has gained a reputation for being notoriously demeaning and difficult to work under. I'm looking at you Mr. Tomita.

- Some of the "kool-aid" drinking atmosphere lingers from the early 2000's. But things have gotten better ever since "dress for your day" was implemented.

Advice to Management

Engineer =/= project manager

10. "Great company"

Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a great company to work for. Co-workers are knowledgeable and friendly. Has lots of internal activities to motivate personal growth.

Cons

Nothing I can think of.