KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Booz Allen Hamilton Reviews

Updated Sep 22, 2021

Found 6,152 of over 6,529 reviews

4.2
Pros
  • "Work life balance, great people(in 692 reviews)

• "Really great benefits for employees(in 244 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Not fully managing work life balance(in 229 reviews)

• "Benefits are not what they used to offer before going public(in 103 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Booz Allen Hamilton and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year
      Featured Review

Accommodating and Supportive

Feb 23, 2021 - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Extremely accommodating, supportive in career aspirations, ample training, and kindness. Great work life balance.

Cons

I could always use more PTO

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Great Place to Work,but...

Sep 22, 2021 - Lead Associate in Rotterdam
      Business Outlook

Pros

Alot of different things to do and try. Learning and Development opportunities are tremendous.

Cons

Promotion criteria vary from management team and you can easily get lost in the shuffle especially in the covid-19 world.

3. What Booz Allen Hamilton employees are saying

Join the conversation on

Consulting

3m

works at

Booz Allen Hamilton

What consulting firms have Juneteenth off? I’ll go first: not Booz Allen Hamilton

1,115

201 Comments

Join the conversation on
    4. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Workplace but Sr. Leaders Follow their Own Rules

Aug 18, 2021 - Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

Middle Management: I got lucky and have had such wonderful, supportive, and truly intelligent career managers. There are so many things to learn from all of the incredibly bright and talented people across the firm CEO: It seems like Horacio thinks of all our employees when decisions are made, which is nearly impossible with ~28k employees. He makes time to attend different meetings and events that aren't "mission critical" such as business resource group activities, pride month, women's appreciation month events, etc. Many CEOs (even of small companies) are not like this. It seems like he's always listening and engaged Business Resource Groups Education Benefits Vision Benefits

Cons

The main issue that I continuously run into is that those above a certain level in the firm make their own rules. It's really difficult to put a process in place successfully when you have to govern senior management. I have heard "I've always done it this way" more times than I can count. Of course, this type of mentality trickles down and those that use their authority to skirt the rules typically have direct reports that do the same. It's so frustrating to put a lot of work into something that benefits the firm overall only to have those with a certain title try to intimidate you because of their level/tenure at the firm.

1 person found this review helpful
    5. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Would Work There Again

Sep 6, 2021 - Mid Machinist in Amsterdam
      Business Outlook

Pros

Any complaints I had while working for Booz were really complaints about the nature of defense contacting in general. I'm not a liberal guy, but I have to admit I really enjoyed working for a liberal company. They say they care about their employees, and they put their money where their mouth is. For example, immune- compromised individuals were sent home WITH PAY during the height of the pandemic, some for over 6 months. The CEO is a class act, maybe, the best CEO in the business. I won't every try to list all the perks of working for Booz, but they are plentiful. Sometimes, I regret leaving.

Cons

Well, it's a defense contractor, so the inefficiencies can be tiresome, but that's more an indictment of the inefficiencies of government rather than BAH. It's just the nature of the beast, as they say.

6. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Some teams will overwork and underpay you.

Aug 14, 2021 - Senior Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

Brand name org, most colleagues are great people, most people have good work/life balance in comparison to other consultancies. Great springboard for other opportunities.

Cons

Experience varies greatly depending on what team and what account you're on- sometimes you get unlucky and are on a team that wants to overwork you and pay you as little as possible. Pay is very low for the field. No sick leave, only 40 hours a year of accumulated PTO.

1 person found this review helpful
    7. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

Federal Project consulting

Aug 3, 2021 - Associate/Lead Technologist in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Big name to have on your resume, and if you're willing to reside in the DMV area there are usually alot of project opportunities so getting staffed is not as big of a challenge as it can be at other consulting firms.

Cons

Managers on projects are really hit or miss, and the ones that miss, miss by miles. Definitely a lack of diversity in the leadership space. Ultimately spending 2.5 years on the project I was staffed to only showed me that govt agencies can be very incompetent and wasteful, where BAH fails is allowing these agencies to continue to waste tax payer money, but instead BAH just sneaks in and gets those contracts where they just need to justify seats in a chair as opposed to providing quality consulting. No bonus structure if you're an Associate or below. I was told that I was performing at the top of my peers and got a 2.5% raise each year and was forced to live in one of the more expensive cities in America. When i asked to work remote, a number of BAH subcontractors were given the ability to work remote, I was told that I should simply request to roll off the project because the project wouldnt support it. during my job search after I rolled off I saw the same role that I was working offered through another subcontractor with more pay and the ability to work remote. Project leadership really fails you at times.

4 people found this review helpful
    8. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

Great Company, But It's Easy to Become Isolated

Jul 26, 2021 - Senior Consultant in Tysons Corner, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Professional culture - Fascinating work - Invests in employee careers and learning - Good pay It was a great place to work. I learned a whole lot, was well-compensated, did some really interesting projects, and I felt like the company respected me as a consultant and intelligent employee. They also did an excellent job at helping me plan a career and build useful skills to get where I wanted to go. People respect each other at BAH and I'd recommend it to anyone.

Cons

- It's easy to feel isolated in one's role on client site I was there for 8 years, but after the first year, I almost never worked alongside other BAH people on client site. This made me feel like I was out trailblazing sometimes but lost in the wilderness most of the time. It's kind of hard to feel a part of the company at that point, and by the time I left, BAH kind of felt like just a collection of email distros. Looking back on it - the contracts I was a part of were basically just the "staff augmentation" contracts I've seen others have been frustrated about.

9. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great culture and team environment! Great onboarding experience given the challenges of virtual!

Aug 18, 2021 - Associate Consultant in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Impressive (and mostly smooth) onboarding experience given the new virtual environment, but definitely better than many others I've heard of from friends, colleagues, and competitors. The facilitator for the "live" (virtual) New Hire Orientation session was really great! She seemed to really know her stuff, embodied the culture, and gave great answers or pointed us in the right direction for the best answers. (I just wish I had had her session earlier in the onboarding process) - Great team members are the norm (and those that don't fit this culture eventually work their way out for the most part) - Fairly / competitively compensated - Great benefits!! - Lots of resources to help you

Cons

- Almost TOO many resources and information out there to familiarize yourself with... it can be overwhelming - If you are not staffed from day 1, your first few days with the firm can feel a little ambiguous in regards to how you should be spending your time - A lot of points of contact in the recruiting/hiring/onboarding process made it a little confusing about who to actually go to for questions - "Wellness" program is a little overly complicated. A simple wellbeing subsidy seems much more user friendly and incentivizing

10. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Take the Good with the Bad

Jul 29, 2021 - Billing Analyst in Herndon, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits, seriously great. Lots of communication between upper management and the rest of the department Great job at staying connected while everyone works from home with trivia, socializing events, regular but not useless meetings, etc. participation is encouraged but not required. Awesome and supportive coworkers Management has open door policy and it’s truly open door, you can talk to anyone without feeling awkward WFH often even before COVID GREAT for a first or second job after college Some room for advancement

Cons

Low pay for the stress levels Project Managers love to throw billing and briefing under the bus Constant systems issues Work/life balance is non-existent for some market codes Advancement path is pretty much one track. Promotions are incredibly difficult and the bump in pay is not worth the hoops you have to jump through

2 people found this review helpful
    11. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to work

Sep 16, 2021 - Lead Associate in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great collaborative culture - totally accepted and expected to grab coffee with people just to meet them, and even senior leaders make time for it. Most people seem really passionate about what they do, and there aren't too many coasters.

Cons

Pay is a bit low, and they'll low ball you coming in.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 6,152 Reviews