Brooksource Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Ryan Hasbrook

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The staffing industry itself has it's ups and downs (in 19 reviews)

• The staffing industry isn't for everyone (in 20 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Brooksource full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been with Brooksource for 2 years now and I joined after graduation. I did work at other companies throughout college (both Fortune 500 and smaller) and feel like I am able to make a good comparison. I chose Brooksource simply because of the Minneapolis Market Director. I truly didn't care if they were selling vacuums or IT Staffing, I just wanted to be a part of what he was building. To this day - the reason I chose the job is still the same and more. Brooksource is a growing company and allows individuals to be challenged at an early age. Yes - Brooksource is an IT Staffing company and there are plenty of opinions on that. There are a million of competitors, a lot of negative connotation towards staffing and there can be high turnover. I look at this as a challenge and something Brooksource lets every person embrace. It doesn't matter where you are or what you do, there will always be something you don't like, or people don't agree with. This company allows you to be challenge the status quo of “staffing” and challenges me more than I can ever thank them for. No one can predict where they will be 5-10 years ahead, but I can promise you that Brooksource has allowed me to grow rapidly as young professional and taught me how to “fail” and that is something I don’t think all companies embrace. If you are someone who wants to learn a lot and be challenged, Brooksource is an option for you I would explore. The last thing I will add is how impressive the Brooksource leadership team is. Whether it be the market director, regional director, VP or President, they all make time to help and talk with you. My first ever conversation (outside of Minneapolis) was with the Brooksource VP of sales. I will confidently say that there is not a better leadership team out there who truly puts their people ahead of themselves.

Cons

There are always going to be cons at any company you are a part of. The biggest con (which is also a pro in my eyes) is the challenge of IT Staffing. As I mentioned in the pros, there are a million competitors, plenty of negative outlooks and people who don't view the industry as a great one. Brooksource is here to change that and if you are up for that challenge - it’s a fantastic way to try. This job also isn’t an 8-5 job. To some, they may view this as a con. To me, its an opportunity that is given by Brooksource to work your tail off and set your career up for success early on in your career. There will be plenty of times that we celebrate our success’s but keep in mind – we are a sales company and if you aren’t working to better yourself and the company, someone else will be. Take as you will – but the challenge that presents is what keeps me waking up in the morning.

Advice to Management

Continue to empower, continue to challenge and continue to allow each market/division/employee change the status quo.

"Great place to start"

Current Employee - Associate Applications Engineer
    Current Employee - Associate Applications Engineer

I have been working at Brooksource full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was a recent graduate and they helped place me in a great company that will transition to a career with that company. They are very helpful and provide great support!

Cons

Not really many complaints. They do offer just the basic benefits in most cases but other than that i can't really say much negative.

3. "Willing to let you grow"

Current Employee - Senior Business Development Analyst in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Senior Business Development Analyst in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Brooksource full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Started as a recruiter and moved into a new role. You are able to write your own job description. Once you have proven yourself in your role, management is willing to listen to your creative ideas of how you feel you would better fit in the company and ways to get you there.

Cons

The business lends itself to unpredictability. You are dealing with people and not products, so not having complete control is sometimes difficult.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in people who are tenured in the company.

4. "High Turnover"

I worked at Brooksource full-time

Pros

-Good culture, great people
    -Decent first job out of college

Cons

-Majority of the "successful individuals" mean well but it's more about the rich getting richer rather than building the new employees up.
    -Promise/advertise more commission in year one then you should expect.
    -Hire you for "sales" but most offices have some arbitrary status you need to hit to go into sales, but I know of some offices who fast track people.
    -Other Recruiting jobs can have a base of$50,000 a year plus commission, Brooksource tries to get around that by claiming "uncapped commissions" but in reality just to get to that number from your 30-35k base takes over a year or more.

Advice to Management

-Could have changed since 2016, but the CEO kind of acts inappropriate at new hire outings. While I didn't have a problem, I know some people were uncomfortable.

5. "Technical Recruiter (NYC)"

Former Employee - Senior Technical Recruiter in Hoboken, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Recruiter in Hoboken, NJ

I worked at Brooksource (More than 3 years)

Pros

Couldn't say enough positive things about my experience at Brooksource. It was refreshing to work with a company that works so hard at providing their customers and employees with a great experience.

Loved both the support and independence I was given since day 1. I'd suggest Brooksource to anyone has an entrepreneurial mindset and the drive to help a company grow daily.

Cons

In any sales role, getting your feet under you can be a grind. The entire team / office was there to lend a helping hand however.

6. "Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Brooksource full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Incredible culture and corporate values. The company is built on a foundation where all promotions are made from within the organization, so they truly invest and care for every, single employee. There's an unlimited opportunity for growth and as the company continues to expand as an industry leader, the number of leadership opportunities grows as well. The open work environment and dynamic company culture not only makes for a fun and exciting place to work, but encourages open collaboration and allows each employee to personalize their own brand. Great work life balance and environment where employees genuinely look forward to coming into work every day. The company is made up of a family of hardworking, motivated, collaborative and goal oriented individuals who enjoy celebrating the successes of themselves and those around them.

Cons

This isn't a typical 9-5. You have the opportunity to network with your consultants and clients, build relationships and grow your business, so those willing to put in the work will see the success and growth.

7. "Sr.Network Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Brooksource full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good account managers.gives good perks

Cons

there is no cons i can think off.

"A glorified post-grad frat"

I worked at Brooksource full-time

Pros

They let you drink in the office

Cons

If you're seeking a work environment that's can be described as a post-grad frat culture, look no further than Brooksource. Every day is a popularity contest, and the amount of ass-kissing that goes on is mind-boggling. Additionally, the account executives treat recruiters like their own personal employees rather than co-workers. I wouldn't recommend this company to my worst enemy.

Advice to Management

Completely reshape the company culture and get away from the jock, frat culture.

"Don’t buy all the hype."

I have been working at Brooksource full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-great place to start out after undergrad college
    -learn true business skills and other transferable skills
    -surface level friendly and upbeat environment
    -great place to work internally for an extrovert
    -corporate leadership in Indy is awesome
    -meet tons of likeminded, similar aged people
    -will challenge you daily
    -you will set tons of goals, goals, goals!
    -great place to be if you love real competitive sales

Cons

-little stability due to nature of the staffing industry. There are people that’s been here for several years (good for them), but majority of people don’t stay here for too long.
    -they’ll hype that turnover is not high especially for the staffing industry but stay here for more than a year you’ll see that more than half of the people change.
    -not a good place to have a long term career if you want to grow up. Growth opportunities have improved since the company started 15+ years ago but they’re still limited. Avg age of company is 26 years old, so get ready to feel super mature if you’re above that age. Great place to be if you like mentoring/babysitting youngins!
    -you might run out of people to look up to the longer you are here.
    -culture is awesome your first few months because you’re new but you’ll quickly feel that it’s covering for some deeper issues like you’ll be watched like a hawk, gossip, etc. they also like to hype up the family/friends culture but the moment it’s business related, it’s all out the door.
    -hours are “8-5” but more like 7:45-5:45. Don’t be a second past 8, you’ll be given death stares and snide comments. Don’t leave at 5, you’ll be talked about the second you leave the front door.
    -have a doctors appointment, oil change, errands to run? Forget it if you’re a recruiter because that’s not your job and you’re expected to make the company money at all times. Not too bad if you’re in sales, it’s nice to have the option to swing by those places on your way to or back from a meeting.
    -pay is a joke. If you have nothing saved up, be ready to pick up some bartending shifts until you start making commission. Commission will inevitably fall off too so you better make those up or you’ll be poor.
    -depending on location, you may have an immature manager. People here are young so you’ll likely get a young manager. Not all are bad, actually some at certain locations are great, but you’ll probably notice that immaturity is a trend here.
    -office managers tend more to the sales team and pay less attention to recruiters. This is a good and bad thing depending on the situation but management can be absent when you need them.
    -unprofessional business conduct depending on what teams you work with. Also get ready for unprofessional internal behaviors such as inappropriate comments and jokes being made.

Advice to Management

-Promote the right people based on skills, not just people that know how to please the next level up.
    -Create a layer between people working in the office and the office manager. This can’t be the team lead because the lead reports to the office manager. This needs to be a neutral party that will remain confidentiality, doesn’t report to the office manager and not afraid to give feedback to the office manager.
    -Pay better. Your competitions are out doing you.
    -Pay attention and really invest in people that has been here for a while.

10. "Technical Recruiter"

I have been working at Brooksource full-time

Pros

The ability to work autonomously and with a team at the same time.
    The growth potential at such an early stage in your professional career
    The youthful culture and continued training provided

Cons

The politics involved in what we do
    The employee turnover is high, but that is due to the industry
    The tendency for the company to only look for one kind of person. Not very diverse.

Advice to Management

Invest more in continuously changing the viewpoint.
    Do not oversell the culture- more employees would stay.
    Be more inclusive of people from different backgrounds.