CB2 Reviews | Glassdoor

Neela Montgomery

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Wow!"

I have been working at CB2 part-time

Pros

Pretty Products to work with

Cons

Standing for extended periods of time

Advice to Management

none

2. "It's something to do, not what you'd want to do"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at CB2 part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great employee discount
    401K matching is nice

Cons

They're not going to pay you minimum wage
    They give a 'commission' that they don't explain which supposedly makes the fact that they pay less than minimum wage acceptable
    The company leadership only understands what's happening in the stores from an on-paper perspective, because despite the fact that they run a retail furniture line - most of them feel too good to work in a store

Advice to Management

Everyone that works for the company should work in a store. It's the only way that they can actually help to build the company.

3. "Night Manager"

I worked at CB2 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Inspiring decor and most coworkers are great.

Cons

The pay is HORRIBLE! After 3 years in this managerial role my GROSS pay was $34,000. It’s disheartening and disturbing. How is it that CB2 is expanding and superseding all sales goals but their lower tier employees get paid nothing?

Why did I stay for 3 years? I loved my job! I throughly enjoyed helping customers and employees discover that CB2 love too!

Were there obstacles? Yes!
    They even have a sales goal for the Night Managers that is the same as or more than the FT sales associate. So you have to sell and complete all the managerial duties while getting paid sub par compensation.

Another con; constant turnover and having to continually train new employees. This significantly obstructs efficient time management.

Advice to Management

If you would pay your lower tier employees what the JOB demands and our economy dictates then your turnover rates would plummet. Then your management team and HR departments wouldn’t have to be continually in the hiring and training mode. It’s exhausting and the employee turnover has a trickle down effect.

Jan 21, 2019 – Sr. Talent Acquisition Recruiter - Corporate

We have received your review and want to thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We value all feedback and want to make ourselves available to listen to our associates. Please... More

4. "Sales associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

I worked at CB2 part-time

Pros

Attractive store, lots of light, great co-workers, shared commission.

Cons

Standing for hours on concrete floors. Poor management.

Advice to Management

When you hire someone you should be upfront that there is very little flexibilty for time off. If an employee does take time off they will experience resentment from management. Full time employees have to wait 5 years before they are given a week’s paid vacation. Part-time employees are given 1 hour of sick time for every 40 hours worked.

"What happen to Gordon’s vision?"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at CB2 part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Discount, design, quality, learned a lot.

Cons

Where do I begin? I worked for Crate&Barrel for 4 years. I LOVED it. Great culture. Amazing product. Great opportunity to make a real living. And then Euromarket took over. Reorganization is what it was sold as. I had a dear colleague, 20 year veteran, was asked to reapply for her position. Once rehired, she was given the highest hourly available 13.00 and hour with no hope of real opportunity to make up the 25.00 and hour she had earned with raises over that time and was being snatched away by a greedy corporate overlord. She was 60 years old. How shameful.

So, I decided to give CB2 a chance. With my experience with the company and my vast experience after leaving the company. The best they could come up with was 10.25 and hour plus some made up unknown “store bonus”, which I never saw! The best they could do for someone of my top selling skills, is put me in part time fill in close shifts. And I still out sold full time employees. When I was scheduled to close one evening, I was assigned cleaning the public toilets. Ok, let me get this straight, you want me to provide world class service, check. You want me to dress to impress. Check. And then clean the public’s toilets when I’m done. For minimum wage. Also, here is tip for young managers, you don’t know everything. And a dismissive or superior attitude, very unbecoming. Well, it’s Crate&Barrel and CB2 who loses. Your not properly paying folks a living wage. Embarrassing. And makes me very sad. Please do not respond with your pretend we care about your opinion canned answer Crate. Do some soul searching and PAY you associates!!

Advice to Management

Get some experience. Learn from those who came before you. Pay a living wage.

Nov 5, 2018 – Sr. Talent Acquisition Recruiter - Corporate

We have received your advice and want to thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We value ALL feedback and want to make ourselves available to listen to our current and former... More

6. "Sales Representative"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY

I have been working at CB2 part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule , positive environment

Cons

Little pay and benefits

Advice to Management

Provide more support to staff in regards to career opportunities.

"They used to be good"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at CB2 full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You can make some great friends there. They are what keep you sane.

Cons

Clear favoritism among staff. Poor upper management. Lack of support from corporate. Too much stress on stores. New staff and management are under trained. Lack of accountability, problems are always being handed off to someone else or just being ignored. All the good workers seem to pick up the slack and driven to ground and never truly appreciated for what they can do because they don't suck up like those getting promoted.

Advice to Management

You lose more money than you think trying to keep customers happy. It's not always about the customer being right because a lot of times they aren't. The staff are considered pushovers because the company tries so hard to be accommodating. There is so much turnover in the stores, half the knowledge of the systems and policies are lost. Staff isn't getting enough train to know how to do things for themselves. Sales people dump problems onto the managers and the managers into customer service.

"A violent and tumultuous love affair. Beware!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at CB2 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing decor & furniture. Awesome staff. Great benefits. Sick leave and vacation time. Excellent discount

Cons

Horrible pay- if only you could actually afford the stuff you sold. Unorganized senior management and operations. Juvenile atmosphere. Lack of support. HIGH employee turnover due to low pay, stressful work environment, and non empathetic senior management.

Advice to Management

Fight for increased pay as most of your competitors have already elevated to a better living wage. Acknowledge that your management staff wears multiple hats and does NOT get paid nearly enough. Your opening/night managers, operations manager, and visual manager shouldn’t have to have second jobs to support themselves. The only reason why this location is a “problem” store is because of continuous staff turnover, it’s forgotten about by corporate, and there is no organization pertaining to in-depth training .

"Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in West Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in West Hollywood, CA

I worked at CB2 part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Inspirational, trendy furniture
    Occasional down to earth customers

Cons

Everything else. Management is corrupted with narcissists who don't want you to excel and will go through any length to "break" you into the culture. If you don't mind being subject to daily passive aggressive attacks that will lower your self esteem so you never strive to get ahead in the company, work here. There is NO professional growth available to you here, don't believe the deception and friendly smiles. It's a trap. I crawled away with my soul in tact, but only after being publicly humiliated by management in front of customers and coworkers, a psychic breakdown and anxiety attack, and my last check being withheld in attempt to lure me back into this abusive workplace cycle. Dealing with snarky coworkers is one thing, but when all of management struggles with low self esteem and poor communication skills, it's best to just abort ship. Healthy people can not, will not, survive in this type of work environment. Consider yourself warned.

Advice to Management

Ha...won't waste my breath with advice. But thank you for providing me with the opportunity to take notes on all of the major red flags to look out for in a job search. I'm really only writing this review to warn genuine, hardworking people who strive to invest in themselves and seek opportunities to be a greater version of themselves-- the ones who genuinely would like to invest in and grow with the company they're working for-- the ones who don't envision a future of working a minimum wage job for the rest of their lives. If you just need a check to get you through a tough time, by all means. Just remember your rights, keep them in check, and you'll be fine.

Jul 30, 2018 – Recruiter

​Thank you for taking the time to discuss your experiences. We welcome an opportunity to discuss your experiences with you. Please contact our corporate offices at 847-272-2888 and ask to speak to a... More

10. "Good work environment"

I worked at CB2 part-time

Pros

The people were all nice.

Cons

Pay was not good, bordering on terrible.