CSG Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
CSG CEO and President Bret Griess
Bret Griess

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great Work life balance and helpful management" (in 55 reviews)

• "Some teams also get flexibility to work from home" (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • "At times, maintaining the right work-life balance can be a challenge with how busy we all are" (in 11 reviews)

• "no career growth, been in the same position for 6" (in 14 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Director in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Director in Omaha, NE

I have been working at CSG full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Challenging work with growth opportunities for those willing to put in the time and effort. Flexible schedule and good benefits. Excellent culture - CSG relies on a set of core values that support the success of the business and ensure employees have a great environment in which to work. CSG has a strong leadership team that employees can really believe in.

Cons

Like any technology/services company that's been in business as long as CSG, there are pockets where you can get caught up supporting an outdated legacy product. The good news is, if you're ambitious and willing to learn, CSG is very supportive of employees who want to try something new and apply for openings on other teams.

Advice to Management

Keep a finger on the pulse of your people on the floor. Strive to ensure your leaders truly reflect our core values. Keep up the great work !

"TL:DR: If CSG needed ebay feedback i’d leave: “A++++ Top Notch Employer/People”."

Current Employee - TA Brand Strategist in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - TA Brand Strategist in Omaha, NE

I have been working at CSG full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've been with CSG, in Omaha, over 5 years and while it was awesome back when I started, I can honestly say the change has been tangible these past few years with Bret Griess as CEO. A type of inspired change that has brought even better benefit offerings, fresh perspectives and business direction, a compelling new brand, and with those a measurably improved company culture. They encourage learning and development (including developing managers into the best managers they can be), employee recognition and constant innovation and improvement. I cannot say enough good things about CSG and my time here. If you have not heard of us, I get it (It’s part of my job to change that), but prepare to as we are building innovative b2b software for some of the largest companies in the world, companies who depend on us to help improve their business and ultimately the way you interact with their offerings and the world around you.

Other reasons I've enjoyed CSG:

-Most importantly, I enjoy coming to work each day. Probably the most important thing I can think of.
    -The client list. We get to work with companies like ESPN, Marvel, Verizon, Redbox, Paramount, Wells Fargo and Discover, to name a few.
    -The amazing managers and teammates I've had and learned from.
    -The opportunity to travel to our other offices and work conferences.
    -The effort they've put into improving the employee experience (based on major surveys and feedback) such as; providing employees with continual learning and development possibilities, having an ergonomics team to make sure you are comfortable while working, the frequent events and swag, an engaging employee social app to catch up on all the company happenings.
    -The way they've branded CSG truly feels like our people, our drive, our mindsets.
    -The "popular" benefits like unlimited vacation where the managers I'm familiar with highly encourage, sometimes even demand their employees to take breaks and vacations. Medical benefits (Health, vision, dental, HSA, Discount prescriptions), etc... as well as the little benefits no one talks about like 24/7 Employee Well-Being assistance or $7/month legal insurance.
    -The shear amount of community support the company and employees give.

Cons

-As with most tech companies there is a need to restructure to best fit an ever evolving market industry.
    -As with almost every large company in existence, there are bad managers and rogue departments/offices who do not live up to CSG's standards. Though I am seeing the company actively trying to reduce this.
    -While there has been so much new innovative blood added in the last 5 years, there is still an old guard who hate change and relish antiquity.

Advice to Management

Stay as approachable as Bret, listen to the reviews on sites like these, especially the negative ones, and investigate. Guide the business to be ahead of the technological curve. Weed out any bad managers, poor workplaces or attitudes that may inhibit all that you have worked towards improving.

3. "Nice place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Crawfordville, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Crawfordville, FL

I have been working at CSG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company with an awesome atmosphere. Love the people in the Crawfordville office. Good solid leadership team.

Cons

12 hour shifts and not closed for the holidays

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on employees.

4. "Great company, people and culture"

Former Employee - Multiple Titles Held in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Multiple Titles Held in Omaha, NE

I worked at CSG full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Company culture, people, empowerment and opportunities.

Cons

No cons to think of.

Advice to Management

Keep the business strategy roadmap visible to all employees so they can help make the company a success.

5. "Great work/life balance"

I have been working at CSG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful environment and culture. Open for improvement.

Cons

Team changes happen too often

"Good place to work but comes with a lot of politics"

I worked at CSG full-time

Pros

Work life balance is great. The people are cool but cliquey. Relatively relaxed work environment (beer on tap, bagels on fridays, free lacroix, ping pong table) The work is easy. Unlimited PTO. Average benefits package. It's a perfect job for someone who is okay with a regular 9-5.

Cons

CSG has a hard time adapting to the growing technology space so most of the work that I dealt with were tedious and monotonous because of the constraints of upper management not understanding there are better ways to do things.
    Collaboration is difficult between the business side and the development side because they're each in separate buildings. Most of the people work in silos and stay to themselves/teams.
    Salary increase/annual bonuses are on the lower end compared to my past experiences.
    Promotions seem to be based off of tenure versus merit.

"Everyone afraid of losing their job and worst management I’ve seen"

Pros

I don’t think there was anything good that came out of working for csg

Cons

The worst middle and upper management
    Harassment for non developers happen almost on a daily basis and on many levels
    No career growth
    Middle and upper management make money at the expense of stress that they put on people who do the actual work
    There’s always a fear of lay-off so no one can even think of disagreeing with managers and accept to work unnecessary off hour shift (2am -5am)without any extra pay or recognition and lot of added stress

Advice to Management

Get rid of the middle management and not the people who do the actual work

"Company transforming"

I have been working at CSG full-time

Pros

The company is going through a transformation, lots of new growth initiatives to get involved with, stable financial company.

Cons

Some legacy technology that has to be managed and balanced against the newer investments. Not everyone can shift overnight

9. "Good benefits"

Current Employee - Test Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Test Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CSG full-time

Pros

Flexible time time off

Cons

Limited growth opportunities and continuous organizational change.

"Leaving the company was one of the best decisions I've ever made."

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at CSG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fairly stable company with a lot of highly-tenured, great people. Decent benefits. Engaged management. Satisfied long-term customers.

Cons

Take everything you know about best practices and throw it out the window. You won't need it. It's mind boggling how a company of this size can be so bad at planning, designing, and developing business-class software. Rank-and-file devs keep their heads down and do as they're told, but they're working within the restrictive confines of a bloated, monolithic, and unnecessarily complex architecture.

Because the platform is such a brittle, cumbersome mess, tasks take orders of magnitude longer to complete than they normally would. Often times fixing one bug means breaking two (or more) things elsewhere. Re-creating bugs locally and end-to-end developer testing are a major pain.

The company relies heavily on the Scaled Agile Framework. SAFe is not agile. It's waterfall with sprints, agile ceremonies, and a multitude of performance metrics that management can hold over your head. When it's executed well it's merely annoying and heavily bureaucratic. When it's executed poorly (like it is at CSG) it's a complete hindrance to productivity and morale.

The project involves multiple dev teams, and there's definitely a pecking order. The favored teams get all the really visible, high-value work, and the lesser teams get to fight over the table scraps that nobody else wants to do.

Advice to Management

Take a long, hard look at your processes and practices. Fix the horrendous architecture. Make sure your microservices effort doesn't become an excuse to break the existing crappy codebase into a several smaller piles of crap.