CallisonRTKL Reviews

3.7
CallisonRTKL  President and CEO Kelly Farrell
Kelly Farrell
Pros
Cons
  • "corporate offices out of touch with employees, too many upper management change overs, processes are cumbersome(in 13 reviews)

• "NO respect for work life balance: Putting 50 to 60 hours at the firm with coming in the weekends to work is part of the firm life(in 11 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Senior Designer in Washington, DC

I have been working at CallisonRTKL full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

benefits are great, giving me more freedom in other areas.

Cons

opportunity to advance quickly is difficult. consistently preforming above my level.

March 22, 2020HR Director

Thank you for your review; we are glad you are a part of our great company. Through the last year, we've closely focused on benefits and having closely listened to the recent employee survey, we've made every effort to make our benefits most meaningful to you and the rest of our colleagues. With regards to advancement within the firm, employees can move up within our structure every couple of years depending on greater job contributions and investment, individual performance and a greater sphere of influence within the team, the office or the practice. If you feel stuck in your title and believe you are performing above your level without proper recognition, talk to your manager, your local HR team or the corporate HR team for guidance and mentoring on how to gain the recognition you deserve. We want you to be your best and grow with us for years to come.

2. "Good Team"

Former Employee - Student Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at CallisonRTKL full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great work environment for different kinds of employees

Cons

Sometimes it is hard for team managers to arrange a student intern.

July 20, 2020HR Director

Thank you for your feedback and your time with CRTKL during your internship in Los Angeles. We strive to create an environment that is fitting to everyone at different stages of their lives and professional careers. 'People' is our business and as such, we work hard at providing a lasting experience that responds to each person's needs to develop and thrive. Internships are planned with careful consideration of workload and project needs. We do not just hire interns; we want to make sure that every intern will enjoy a learning and exciting experience while at CRTKL. For this reason, we may take a little longer to bring in interns but we do so throughout the year across our locations as we believe they are an integral part of our commitment to the profession and toward making a difference with our partner universities.

3. "Good experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at CallisonRTKL full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Was able to take on new roles in the projects and learned a lot. Generally supported by leadership. Good communication on issues that matter from higher ups. Good place for a self starter

Cons

Could have more office events for social time more training on new tools

July 5, 2020HR Director

We appreciate your taking the time to write this review, and wish you the very best in your career and new job experiences. Training is an important area of focus for employers and we are not the exception. As we adopt the latest tools and resources to support our people in their jobs and with their projects and clients, training and professional development are key to success. Our learning and development programs are constantly evolving. With the adoption of Saba as our learning platform last year, our ongoing partnership with LinkedIn Learning, and the many internal and external initiatives we offer, training and learning are indeed a priority at CallisonRTKL. On social time, we miss our colleagues and the interaction pre-COVID. These are times when we value social time more than ever before and the importance of those connections. As we return to the office, we are looking forward to connecting and developing activities that are more meaningful to our people through a Corporate Action Committee that will focus on our communities and the world to continue to make meaningful contributions and impact on those around us, close and far away.

4. "Take what you can get and leave"

2.0
    Former Employee - Senior Designer in Dallas, TX

I worked at CallisonRTKL full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Education stipends, access to digital reference libraries, involvement in local design community, big name clients, happy hours.

Cons

Diversity in leadership is lacking, little to no support from project managers, “sink or swim” mentality is the norm, unorganized, nepotism, work/life balance does not exist.

Continue reading
  5. "Good Company"

Former Employee - Accountant

I worked at CallisonRTKL full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good training program, great location and commute, good benefits. friendly colleagues.

Cons

Business impacted by economic easily, lays off senior employees

June 15, 2020HR Director

Thank you for taking the time to review CallisonRTKL. We value feedback greatly. Our business--much like our industry--was impacted by the COVID pandemic and regrettably, actions were required in order to right size our business operations. We made every decision carefully and with much thought as we realized the economy and job market will take some time to rebound. We wish you the best in your career endevors and if there is anything we can do for you, just reach out.

6. "great place to work"

Former Employee - Urban Designer/Planner

I worked at CallisonRTKL full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Exciting projects and big family environment

Cons

fast paced work, be quick and ready to push out projects

May 25, 2020HR Director

We appreciate your time to share your thoughts about CRTKL. We are sorry that you have moved on and genuinely appreciate your insights. CRTKL's history was forged around urban planning, and we value this practice area very highly. Depending on the team you are assigned to, you may find that projects move quickly and are of high demand. Our PUD team works across regions and can get very busy, and their project impact and design is second to none. We wish you the very best in your professional endeavors and hope that your will choose CRTKL again in your future career path.

7. "CallisonRTKL"

Current Employee - Senior Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at CallisonRTKL full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good work life balance, great benefits and office culture

Cons

Limited work from home capabilities, should be more flexible with employees. Has become more corporate over the years.

April 27, 2020HR Director

Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate you as an employee and look forward to your contributions. With regards to WFH capabilities, our company has shown the ability to engage all employees across all regions on a WFH solution in a very short time to respond to the COVID crisis. In the past, while we had the ability to support WFH, we felt that our best ideas happen in a team setting with the interaction of our people. As we move forward, we know that work has changed and our policies around WFH are likely to evolve for everyone.

8. "CRTKL Dallas"

2.0
    Former Employee - Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at CallisonRTKL full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Salary is decent. Some interesting design projects. Most people are nice. Good location to ride DART train. Benefits is on par with others in the industry.

Cons

Very bad at executing design concept into construction document, hence the reason for lack of local (Dallas) market projects. Leadership display too much favoritism to certain people. Very bad for worker morale. There are people who have not been productive but were kept around because they are part of the inner circle. Layoff and furlough good people less than a month ago and post a job search now... Obviously did that just to make the accounting number look good without any consideration for the company in the long run.

Continue reading

May 14, 2020HR Director

We appreciate your feedback and insights. At CRTKL, we routinely review our salaries and benefits and invest in competitive rewards that are meaningful and appropriate to the needs of our employees at every stage of their lives. Our benefits design is thoughtful and diverse, from holistic medicine to IVF to many competitive leave programs, such as sick leave, floating holidays, and a total of 10 weeks of fully-paid maternity leave (including 2 weeks of parental leave for new moms and dads). Commuting subsidies, such as DART, are flexible and based on location. Our employees connect to clients and work across a diverse lineup of projects. From your feedback, it’d appear that your team experience was not positive, which is not what we strive for as a company and expect across our leadership. The Dallas office welcomed Harold Thompson this year as its new Office Leader, and he has done an excellent job building upon cohesive expectations, and a good dialogue around responsibilities and initiatives. The feedback from our people has been very positive. Even with WFH due to COVID-19, the people connection has been remarkable, and the effort invested in staying connected has been a priority for the teams and our leadership. Speaking of COVID-19, as with the rest of the industry and the world, our firm is not exempt from some difficult decisions—all made after much thought and care for our people. The job posting you mention predates these actions, and it’s a strategic search in place for months now. We wish you success now and in the future.

"Not inclusive at all"

1.0
    Former Employee - Designer in New York, NY

I worked at CallisonRTKL full-time

Pros

Good IT department to work with.

Cons

Very exclusive team. No support from upper management.

May 25, 2020HR Director

Thank you for providing your feedback about CRTKL and the IT department. We are very sorry that your experience in your one year with the firm wasn't positive when it came to upper management and your perception of inclusivity within the IT team. Your disapproval is clear, but we hope that you took the time to share your views with management and the corporate or NY HR teams while still employed to create change together. We believe it takes everyone's effort to impact direction, and it is our resolute goal to partner with our people to build a culture that is inclusive, engaging, and respectful. We appreciate your short tenure with us and wish you a successful professional path forward.

10. "Good company, but too many levels and lots of overtime cost."

Current Employee - Entry Level Architectural Designer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at CallisonRTKL full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits and nice work environment and people.

Cons

A little hard to get very quick improvement through different phases of project.

March 22, 2020HR Director

We appreciate your feedback as it can only make us a better firm together. We are glad that we can provide you with benefits that serve you well and that you are enjoying your work environment and the people in our Dallas office. This is definitely something that we work hard to enhance and reward as there is not firm without you and our people. With regards to the projects, if you feel that improvement is slow or lacking, talk to the project manager, the team leader, your vice president or office leader and share your views and thoughts about how we can, together, improve. All ideas are welcome and open dialogue is where we thrive. We look forward to your thoughts and contributions to make us better and help us improve our delivery and performance.

Found 212 reviews