Cascade Management Reviews | Glassdoor

Cascade Management President and CEO David Bachman
David Bachman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Stable Company, Room for Growth and Other Opportunities"

I have been working at Cascade Management full-time

Pros

I've been with Cascade Management for just over 10 years. Cascade Management has recognized my potential and has granted me so many opportunities to better myself and the life for my family. Thanks to them, I've had the opportunity to experience many aspects of property management and have been able to settle into my career. And I didn't come here looking for a career in property management, I was a newly single-mother with child of special needs, just looking for a job to pay the bills until my initial career path became available again. But as time went on, I found myself drawn to the industry - the reward of helping others (as we primarily were affordable housing at the time) and just the right amount of drama (referring to dealings with residents) to keep you hooked.

Cascade Management is a big believer when it comes to continued education, and sometimes you get it even when you don't ask for it (I think that surprises people the most!). They encourage us to be the best.

Sure, Cascade Management has gone through many changes in the past 10 years, but what company hasn't? Clearly there have been no earth-shattering changes - we've more than doubled the size we were 10 years ago, and we've gained so much more knowledge that we're venturing into other areas of property management (not just affordable housing) - and other states. We have a lot of long-term employees and a lot of employees that have left Cascade, only to return again!

Cascade Management is for you if you are seeking a STABLE job/career. They do not shuffle employees around from one property to the next. It's YOUR choice. They are flexible, personable and encouraging. They pay is what it is (and it's not "terrible") - for the most part, we're affordable housing - you're in this business because you are compassionate and like the challenge of paperwork or resident relations. If you're onsite, your wage is based on the property's performance - and yes, there are some properties that, financially, don't perform very well due to rent restrictions, but you ALWAYS have an opportunity to move on from that property and go to another, or move into the Corporate office.

Cons

It's a tough industry, especially for Affordable Housing. Finding qualified corporate staff to support the needs of onsite staff when it comes to resident certifications is a challenge.

Advice to Management

Keep exploring ways to provide support to upper management staff, mainly in the Portfolio Management and Compliance departments so that that support can be trickled down to those on the "front lines".

Aug 4, 2017 – Director of Employee Development and HR

Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback. We have grown significantly and look forward to any opportunity to hear and better serve our employees as we go through those changes. Your... More

2. "Maintenance Tech"

Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Portland, OR

I have been working at Cascade Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love learning new things

Cons

When people can’t throw away their trash in the trash can

Advice to Management

Keep throwing new things at me I’m willing to learn

3. "Uncertain"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Cascade Management full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Easy going company to work for. GREAT CEO!

Cons

Timely communication so staff is able to do their job.

Advice to Management

Hire more staff so as not to overwhelm the PM and always strive to be a down to earth company caring for your employees who try very hard to please owners and company.

4. "Poorly operated"

I worked at Cascade Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work itself is easy
    The experience helps building resume

Cons

Highly repetitive
    High turn over
    Micro managed

Advice to Management

For the time I worked there about 5 people left the corporate office within the first month. Pay is definitely below average. The amount of micro managing is insane.

5. "High Turnover"

I worked at Cascade Management full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not much good to say

Cons

They are unable to keep employees long. This causes them to keep employees that should be let go.

6. "Downtown PDX"

Current Employee - Assistant Community Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Assistant Community Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Cascade Management full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have some really great residents, that are trying to make a difference and be productive in society. I have seen them start to act like a community, rather than a bunch of strangers by pitching in, engaging in community events, helping other residents when in need and so much more.

Cons

Putting 110% into my work, caring about my residents, taking pride in my job, owning up to what I do each day, all what my immediate management does. Documented laziness, lack of tact & punctuality, turning their back on residents, making me do 90% of their job and 110% of mine and getting the email of credit being taken, or the I didn't know that the assistant was going to do that, very small office life of emails & "short" stories leading up to more work that ends up being a part of my home life otherwise it falls behind or doesn't get done.

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate some of the management that has been in the management position on a 6 month basis. Listen to the thoughts of the residents in the building of that manager. They have more everyday insight on day to day proceedings. Don't let the residents feel like they are being ignored, it only takes a moment for someone to start to wonder why their concerns are being ignored, vs a few minutes to address real life concerns, such as safety & criminal activity. Move management to a new fresh property at the sign of burn out or giving up.

7. "Community Manager"

Current Employee - Community Manager in Medford, OR
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Medford, OR

I have been working at Cascade Management full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Live on site, hrs, location, tenants

Cons

Cascade Management doesn't back their employees, Doesnt give the managers the correct tools to do their duties correctly. doesnt follow through with their paperwork so complete tenants files in a reasonable time frame.

Advice to Management

Close Your Doors! You don't have a clue what you are doing

"The Overall Goals for this company runs short in reality."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Cascade Management full-time

Pros

The first experience with Cascade I really loved the culture and the people I met. The concept of upfront training was exciting but fell short in preparing new employees to understand the corporate atmosphere of cascade management.

Cons

Within the first month staff out of the corporate office started exiting which is never a good sign. My boss and my bosses boss was gone within the first two to three months of me being there.
    Cascade took on more than I think they can handle in too short of a time. The expectations on their Regional Portfolio Managers with the concept of everything has to go through the RPM puts way too much of a workload on their plate. Although it's important for regionals to understand funding layers when the compliance specialist have to come them for regulatory requirements it leaves a lot to be concerned about.

Cascade also like to use smoke and mirrors when reporting to owners which I do not agree with.

Advice to Management

Start putting realistic expectations on your regional managers and your staff in rural and outlining areas.
    When key upper management staff exit out of Cascade be more honest and transparent with your owners and other staff out in the field.
    Quit leaving staff guessing...

Aug 4, 2017 – Director of Employee Development and HR

Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback. Hearing from our employees, in a way that we can help them succeed is very important to us, and only strengthens our ability to better understand... More

"Regional Portfolio Manager"

Current Employee - Regional Portfolio Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Regional Portfolio Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Cascade Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, positive work environment. Upper Management does not have the typical "I am better than you attitude". People are are generously interested in their employees' well being, growth and success.

Cons

Hiring needs lead to more work for others, but hiring never truly ends with a growing company. Keep hiring to lessen work load in some departments.

Advice to Management

You are doing great. Positive changes are noticed and welcomed.

Jun 19, 2017 – Director of Employee Development and HR

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We strive to continually update our work flows and processes to ensure we are meeting all employees needs and make the jobs we do easier. We... More

10. "Site manager"

Current Employee - On Site Manager in Medford, OR
    Current Employee - On Site Manager in Medford, OR

I have been working at Cascade Management full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My three month probation ended yesterday and I'm very happy with this company. Is it easy? Most definitely not. But I'm learning so much and enjoying what I do. The upper management have been wonderful and I have a mentor to make sure I successful.

Cons

The cost of benefits in adding a dependent is very expensive in my opinion.

Advice to Management

Help getting lower dependent insurance premiums.

Jun 19, 2017 – Director of Employee Development and HR

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. This information is very helpful in continuing to understand how to better serve our employees, whether its thru benefits or training and development.