Cavallo Point Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Enjoy working here"

Current Employee - Director of Human Resources in Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Human Resources in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Cavallo Point full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great location/views, unique property, fun environment, involved GM, opportunity for growth, able to leave your mark and not get lost in the numbers like in a larger company

I've been with the company for three years and really love working here. I came from larger luxury chains and really appreciate not having to go through a ton of bureaucratic steps to get something done. Here, you can talk directly to the GM and ownership is very involved.

I enjoy the feeling of us being like a family. Many of the staff members who have been around a while are very close. We have activities throughout the year where families are invited so it's great to get to know everyone on that level.

I think it's great that employees are encouraged to use the property facilities through deeply discounted services at the spa, restaurant and retail store. You can even use the workout facilities and get a very generous employee rate to stay on property. I've worked in many hotels that don't allow access to employees.

It's such a beautiful place and in such an iconic location. I really enjoy being a part of it all.

Cons

Small hotel company so harder to develop outside of the singular property; the benefits have begun to get better but we are still working on getting matching contributions to the 401K

Advice to Management

Continue recognizing employees, create a culture of positive interactions and FUN, be present and supportive of your teams.

2. "Magical"

I worked at Cavallo Point full-time

Pros

Magical setting with great food and beverage and catering outlets.

Cons

Staffing can be a challenge based on the location of the property

3. "Self serving managment"

I worked at Cavallo Point full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Beautiful setting and discounts at spa and restaurant

Cons

Terrible management. Most employees are very friendly and helpful. However, management listens to the few that are trying to undermine their co-workers. The whole organization is very rigid and employee input is not welcome.

Advice to Management

Hire good people at decent pay, train them well and show appreciation for their work.

4. "Banquet Server"

I worked at Cavallo Point part-time

Pros

great work environment , and great stuffs

Cons

not a fair payment

Advice to Management

share something to the people who work hard

5. "Working there was good experience"

Pros

very friendly staff, amazing poperty

Cons

it would be nice if the pay was good

"Shine Coming Off Of The Apple"

I have been working at Cavallo Point full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

On the outside, a BEAUTIFUL setting and a wonderful story to tell. The history story, the renovation story, the views! Delightful. An easy place to brag about.

Recently, they've had to restructure their loan(s), forcing them to disperse unnecessary layers of middle management, some reassigned to other departments.

Cons

Like so many hospitality destinations, Cavallo is built on the backs of dedicated, hourly employees - mostly underpaid, but those with extraordinary commitments to your happiness. The same people who get burned out and are top of the turnover pile, still find ways to put you first. Love them up!

Behind the velvet ropes: draconian hospitality management, punitive practices, archaic business ("that's the way we do it") mentality.

While the top of the heap make a decent living, the front-liners who often commute from lands far away essentially subsidize their salaries. For what they charge for the rooms and meals, why are they struggling?

As the shine leaves the apple like wear and tear of the rooms, bad practices, etc., the "comps" increase and disgruntled guests can ruin the vibe.

Advice to Management

Tighten up your game. Walk the property daily and expect more from EVERYBODY. Check out high-end competition who know what impeccable really means: their properties, their bars, their restaurants.

7. "Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Cavallo Point full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Being a new employee to this property I wanted to share the amazing benefits this company offers and the family feel about the team. All employees get discounts on Rooms, Spa and F&B. Plus employees are encourage to stay active by participating in Yoga, hikes and you get a complimentary gym memberships for all employees!

Cons

No cons so far...Highly recommend working here!

"Retail Assistant"

I have been working at Cavallo Point full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love to work at the Mercantile ❤️ great teamwork 👍🏻 My Retail Director is wonderful 😉. This is a great company to work for it. I am super happy here! 😀 The GM is an amazing person!

Cons

I think Cavallo Point is an awesome place to work!

"Manager"

I worked at Cavallo Point full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hospitality is not brain surgery, but it is demanding. If you are nice to your coworkers, they'll be nice to you. If you are kind to the hotel guests, they'll be kind to you.
    If you are determined to do well, you will.
    I was promoted twice, and I know a handful of other co-workers who were promoted as well, and have put themselves in a great place to advance their careers in hospitality and other fields.

Cons

My biggest complaint about Cavallo was that it didn't feed hotel staff. Well that was addressed a few months ago. Now there is a cool vending machine that sells quality meals at a highly discounted price (salads, sandwiches, wraps, ice coffee, Yerba Mate). It's a game changer!
    Otherwise, the next biggest con is traffic, but you're going to run into that everywhere in the Bay Area.
    I'm dismayed to read negative reviews about Cavallo, and I know personally the people who wrote those reviews. I knew them as co-workers before I became a manager, and worked closely with them. Their miserable reviews are more a reflection of themselves than the workplace. Just being honest.

Advice to Management

The happier the employee, the happier the guest. Thanks for the good times!

"Satisfied Manager"

I have been working at Cavallo Point full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great ownership and management team.

Cons

I can't think of anything.