Chef Software Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Chef Software CEO Barry Crist
Barry Crist

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work/life balance is great - the ability to work from home or remotely is fantastic" (in 15 reviews)

• "Great people, amazing work community and pure fun" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Just like any other rapidly growing business, it's work/life balance, but if you enjoy what you are doing, it doesn't feel like work" (in 3 reviews)

• "Executive team can sometimes feel less than transparent and decisions stemming from them can feel murky" (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great work environment!!"

I have been working at Chef Software full-time

Pros

*Amazing work / life balance because of the ability to work remote and take time off when you need it
    *Great culture - everyone at Chef truly cares about the people around them. That feeling is contagious throughout the company and it feels like you work with a bunch of your family and friends, rather than cold co-workers.
    *Good market position with opportunity to do great things if we can get all the puzzle pieces to fit.
    *Because of our start-up nature, we are given the ability to try new things. They don't always work, but when they do it is celebrated heavily. When they don't - we learn some things that will help us in the future.

Cons

*Poor middle and senior leadership. These groups need training and/or experience to serve employees and the business in a more practical AND tactical manner.
    *Disconnect between senior leadership and executives. I don't know if this is due inexperienced leadership not working well with a bunch of executives but somewhere along the lines there is some serious communication breakdowns that can bleed through to the teams.
    *Executive team seems like an old boys club (wealthy white males) and lacks any diversity.
    *A lot of turnover recently. Which is likely a result of the above but also typical in a startup. People don't stay at startups for 15-20 years like they do at Microsoft.
    *Lack of diversity although I know the HR people are actively working hard to make this better. I think its more a result of executives and senior leadership saying its important but not actually focusing on it and making it a priority.

Advice to Management

Hold the executive team accountable for the things that are happening within the company that are causing turmoil and turnover.

Mar 7, 2018 – HR Manager

Thank you so much for your comments. We appreciate the time you took to give thoughtful, solution-oriented feedback. We are thrilled that you view your Chef teammates like family and that you feel... More

2. "Currently Employed"

I have been working at Chef Software full-time

Pros

Great Company. Love working at Chef

Cons

Keep working hard, great future ahead of us

Advice to Management

Keep going in the right direction. Full confidence in the company.

3. "Lacking in leadership."

I have been working at Chef Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Solid products, good people, and respect amongst the community.

Cons

Disjointed, and leadership is terrible. The number of departures says it all.

Advice to Management

Get new management.

"Disjointed"

I worked at Chef Software full-time

Pros

Intelligent group of people with a lot of passion for what they do. Everyone working hard to do the right thing.

Cons

Lack of collaboration between teams. Sometimes due to a myopic view, other times due to animosity.

"Revolving door"

I worked at Chef Software full-time

Pros

If you are on a good team it's a good environment, if not, it'll suck

Cons

Seems like a lot of people are leaving.

6. "Employer & Manager do not care"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Chef Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I got nothing good to say

Cons

The manager does not care about your career development and will not support your growth

Sep 5, 2018 – Recruiting Manager

We are sorry to hear that you did not have the best experience working at Chef. Here at Chef we do believe that managers have the opportunity and responsibility to help drive the development and... More

"Sales"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Chef Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Product and engineering groups are some of the best in the business.

Cons

Sales group has to be one of the worse I have ever been associated with. They have no idea how to effectively sell or position Chef's paid products and services, and continue to flounder year to year. Toxic personalities are the norm.

Advice to Management

Your dream to become a much larger business is just that. Why is the CEO who continues to bungle his leadership responsibilities still there while talented people continue to walk out the door en masse? Change in any company starts at the top.

"Excellent place to work - fast-paced but great work/life balance"

I have been working at Chef Software full-time

Pros

I've been at Chef for a little over a year and it is truly a great organization. The leadership goes above and beyond to be transparent, I feel like I have a strong understanding of our goals and where we are in terms of meeting them.

Work/life balance is great - the ability to work from home or remotely is fantastic. It gives me the flexibility needed for my family. That being said I think work/life balance is what you make it, some people are online in the evenings but it seems to be a personal choice.

Cons

Being a startup, it is important that you understand there will be changes and you may be expected or encouraged to take on responsibilities in addition to your immediate job description. This isn't necessarily a bad thing but you do need to be ready and willing to jump in on any project.

Advice to Management

Keep maintaining transparency, it is rewarding to see how my team's work contributes to the overall company goals

Mar 2, 2018 – Executive Assistant

It's great to hear you're enjoying your experience at Chef and are finding work/life balance is well supported. In addition, we're so glad you have insight into how your team's work fits into Chef's... More

"Honest, explicit and open work environment"

Current Employee - Professional Services Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Professional Services Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Chef Software (Less than a year)

Pros

- The people: I've never met so many friendly, helpful and brilliant people before
    - Empowerment: It has been made explicitly clear to me that I am a human with judgement and ideas and will be support when I act as such.
    - Transparent business practices: In true DevOps fashion I'm encouraged to make use of every level of information, from source code to contracts with customers
    - Awesome hiring philosophy: Part of the the transparent business practices is I know exactly what philosophy drives Chef's hiring and interview process, and its the most practical and holistic hiring process I've heard of.
    - Mature remote infrastructure: Chef is a remote first company and as such they have great processes in place for including members who aren't in the office or even the time zone.

Cons

These are reaching, and are conditionally cons depending on what you're looking for..
    -Must be self motivated: If you are waiting to be prodded into things you wont excel at Chef.
    -Decentralized: It takes a different skill set to be successful in a largely remote company, when you likely wont be able to speak in person to coworkers who are critically important to your goals.

Advice to Management

I honestly feel I could approach any C-level manager and give them my opinions, and be honestly considered. I know I have a direct line to them via Slack or Email and I could expect a response. See the point on Empowerment under Pros. Because of this I have no 'stopped up' advice to management to give, other than keep going the direction you already are!

Feb 9, 2018 – Director of Employee Experience

Thank you so much for review! We are thrilled to have you on our Chef team and so pleased you are loving your experience here. As requested, we'll keep doing what we're doing. But if you ever see... More

"Best Place in Town"

I have been working at Chef Software full-time

Pros

Chef hires the best people. At Chef you will work with some of the smartest and kindest people around. They really care about their employees and it shows.

C-Level executives are approachable and friendly. They communicate in an honest and transparent way that is truly refreshing.

Cons

As with any growing business, things are very busy, so work/life balance isn't always great. That said, management is very encouraging of self care when the need arises.

Advice to Management

Keep being awesome.

Feb 16, 2018

Thank you for your review. We are so delighted to have you on our team. We are happy to hear that your management team encourages you to take care of yourself, even in busy times. You can only do... More