Church Mutual Insurance Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 16, 2019

3.1
Michael E. Ravn

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Generally supportive of work life balance" (in 8 reviews)

• "Pay and Benefits seem reasonable" (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "Since the company is in a small town, there is a lot of "who you know" people hired and promoted" (in 3 reviews)

• "hour days and weekends trying to keep their workload down" (in 2 reviews)

"Great People, Great Company"

Former Employee - IT Intern in Merrill, WI
    Former Employee - IT Intern in Merrill, WI

I worked at Church Mutual Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture at Church Mutual Insurance Company is second to none. Everyone is very welcoming and are invested in what they do. The company is doing quite well financially and has great options for full-time employment. Overall, I really enjoyed my time there.

Cons

Merrill is a pretty small town, so if you are bigger city person you might want to consider living in nearby Wausau.

2. "Growth and Young Professional Friendly"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Merrill, WI

I have been working at Church Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Provides a great opportunity for anyone, including young professionals, showing potential to develop their career. Church Mutual values the contributions all employees can make, even if they are just recently out of school. Anyone who is willing to work hard and develop themselves has an opportunity to succeed.

At the same time, Church Mutual is very supportive of a work/life balance, and is doing all they can within reason to promote a happy workplace and workforce. Many with negative comments about Church Mutual are blind to what many other companies expect from their employees.

Cons

Behind the times in some respects (particularly IT systems). Those working at the satellite location in Merrill do not benefit from the same perks (cafeteria, fitness equipment, company activities, etc.) that those at the home office do.

Advice to Management

Work to build equality among all employees - treat claims handlers with the same respect as underwriters.

Otherwise stay true to course - change needs to continue! However, we should also keep sight on improving our core competencies before spending too many resources chasing dreams.

"IT Dept."

I worked at Church Mutual Insurance full-time

Pros

You have a temporary job...

Cons

- It takes up to one or two weeks before you have access to even do your job
    - Suggestions for improvement are often disregarded. One of the worst documentations and processes I've seen.
    - More than half of your team consists of interns, temps and contractors and that creates a very poor working environment with low team morale.
    - You work in a warehouse, separated from the actual corporate building. A lot of disconnection. A warehouse is not an office space.
    - The bathroom in the warehouse is disgusting.
    - The meeting room looks like a junk yard.

Advice to Management

Current state of the IT Dept. is not going to attract potential employees who will be committed long-term.

"Lots of work in progress in IT"

Current Employee - IT Engineer
    Current Employee - IT Engineer

I have been working at Church Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Other employees are like family. Easy to make friends. Most trying to work together to change from a small company to a corporate giant. Plenty of work to be had.

Cons

Said by a coworker who has been to several other companies, "I've never seen so many incompetent contractors and consultants." This place is a magnet for them.
    It's a great place for consultants and contractors. These make up about 1/2 of IT, get paid a lot and seem to do very little. Some consultants barely understand the product they're foisting onto us; don't take the time to understand the current processes; make lots of meetings that change at a moment's notice; order around employees who are already overworked; then dump the work (often incomplete) onto regular staff when contract time is up.

The employees who have been here the longest are constantly helping out others and have little time left for their own projects. I've worked on many projects and most are still in progress from a year ago. Finish something already!!! As for the projects that have been completed - well, let's just say that the reward for hard work is more hard work. There are people here who work 10+ hour days and weekends trying to keep their workload down.

Changes take a long time to put in place. It takes longer to go through the red tape than to put most changes in place. There's thorough, then there's overkill - this company observes the latter.

Too many projects all at once, too much work for too few employees. Contractors have proven to be little help - see above. I can't work on my own projects because contractors keep coming to me to do the job they are being paid to do.

Advice to Management

Prioritize your projects; make departments & employees roles/expectations clear; check people's workloads before adding more piles to their full desks - spread the work evenly. Do not allow contractors/consultants to assign work!
    If I complete a difficult project, give me something easy to do - a break from the hard work I just completed.
    Hire employees - the number of consultants and contractors is killing morale.

"Former"

Former Employee - Former Employee in Merrill, WI
    Former Employee - Former Employee in Merrill, WI

I worked at Church Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Used to be a great place. ..your immediate coworkers and managers are great.

Cons

Expected to work excessive hours...but only have desk top so you are chained to desk. Systems are outdated. Upper management is arrogant, deceitful & out of touch with reality.

Advice to Management

If you are going to tell people to get on board or get out, and then continue to overwork people, don’t be surprised when they leave.

6. "Making improvements"

I have been working at Church Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I feel it's a positive environment.

Cons

Limited opportunity to work from home.

7. "IT"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Merrill, WI

I have been working at Church Mutual Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay and Benefits seem reasonable

Cons

Only a select few are allowed to telecommute

"Moving to a more traditional corporate structure"

I have been working at Church Mutual Insurance full-time

Pros

Continuing education opportunities
    Generally supportive of work life balance

Cons

Small town politics
    Slow to use technology

Advice to Management

Invest in technology

"Sales Rep"

Current Employee - Regional Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Representative

I have been working at Church Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company car, that's about it.

Cons

Extreme micro management. The manager is completely clueless about insurance or what it takes to complete the necessary field work. Everyone wonders how she even got her job. Turnover is becoming very high because of it. Plan on working 60 + hours a week & documenting your every move to your manager. The job requires a lot of busy work but you will only be recognized for new sales. The rest of the busy work will be expected to be a donation of time. The company does not care about the customer, only about putting new sales on the books.

Advice to Management

Get real with the expectations.

"Sr Java developer"

Pros

Good company- good management in IT

Cons

Still coming through with their processes