Comdata Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Stuart C. Harvey, Jr.

Pros
  • There are great people inside these walls and Comdata is in an incredible position in the market (in 8 reviews)

• Great work experience with direct reports; on site gym with trainer; and cafeteria with several selections with a nice chef (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Advancement is limited in operations (customer service) department and oftentimes, you're forced to learn a new skill without additional pay (in 7 reviews)

• Work life balance but its not that bad (in 4 reviews)

1. "People, Hours, Location, work Great place to work"

Former Employee - Client Service Associate in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Client Service Associate in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Comdata full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed working at Comdata.

Cons

Laid off from Comdata before a year of service

"One of the worst jobs I've ever had."

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Comdata full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I suppose the benefits are decent.

That's about it.

They want me to write 20 words here so this is how I'm filling the rest of the box. I can't think of 20 words that are positive about this place.

Cons

Where to start with this company...

Let's begin with the obvious: the pay is mediocre. Despite what they'll tell you, $14 an hour is not competative. It's actually under the standard for this area now, and you'll be there for years before you make $15 if you don't move up. But, unfortunately, this is a drop in the bucket.

This is hands-down the most disorganized company I've ever seen. Like, they can't even figure out a seating chart so that you'll be near your supervisor, nor can they remember how many seats they have because they are always hiring more people and not buying more space. Oh, speaking of supervisors, there is a very real chance that you'll be trained in something that none of the supervisors have experience in. How do I know? Cause that is the situation I am currently in. What kind of a company does a hiring spree before teaching the basics of the systems to the affected supervisors? One that is in shambles, that's what. It is completely unacceptable to have one single "supervisor transfer line" and not a single person who answers that phone will be able to help you. I spoke to 6 supervisors trying to get a question answered, and in the end I had to tell the customer "I don't know".

Let's talk dress code. It is an insane standard to make people who work in a CALL CENTER wear collar shirts and dress shoes. Seriously, what are we dressing up for? Ourselves? We all hate this place and everything in it. No one cares what other people are wearing.

Here's the biggest one: this company is (potentially) scamming their customers. Yeah, there is a lot of shady stuff going on in the background to fee and charge their customers in to sometimes double what their bills are. Seriously, an investigation needs to be done in to their buisness practices. Some bills will show a fee under one name, then the next month that same fee will show up as a different name. We actually have a list of all the fees that could show up on a bill, and some of the fee descriptions that show up on statements aren't even in our lists. It's a total crap-shoot sometimes to figure out what the fee is (and remember what I said about supervisors not being trained? Yeah, good luck getting help to figure it out).

Seriously, if you have a fuel card and the parent company is Fleetcor/Comdata (BP, ARCO, Speedway, Fuelman, Universal Premium, etc) you should cut your cards up. I'm not saying this as a disgruntled employee, I'm saying this as a concerned member of my community.

Do not work here, do not purchase anything related to this company. I hope that one day this company falls apart beyond repair and closes it's doors. We will all be better off.

Advice to Management

Shut it down.

3. "Great Growth Opportunity- Better People"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Brentwood, TN
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Brentwood, TN

Pros

Uncapped commissions and an achievable plan. Many opportunities for promotion. Hard work rewarded; laziness is not.

Cons

Some departments not as motivated as others.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in good people.

"Sales"

Former Employee - Vice President of Sales in Brentwood, TN
    Former Employee - Vice President of Sales in Brentwood, TN

I worked at Comdata full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Insurance, gym, I have no other positive words

Cons

people are just numbers; plans change constantly; don't care about customers

"Good management but the jobs gets old really quick."

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Brentwood, TN
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Brentwood, TN

I have been working at Comdata full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Can get promotions with a little hard work. Freedom to do thing when and how you want to do them. Procedure isn't that big of a priority. Management is t strict they let you work the way you want to as long as you're producing.

Cons

Sitting on the phone for 8 hours sucks.

If you need structure and direction and you step by step procedure to feel confident you're not going to get it. You'll have all the support you need though.

Advice to Management

We need better internal communications. There are numerous times where people who do the same job have different information on our products and services.

There were no materials for us to reference to clarify questions we didn't have the answers to.

"Great People...Bad Taste"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brentwood, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brentwood, TN

I worked at Comdata full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I can't say enough positive things about the people I worked with. My Direct Manager was one of the best I have ever worked for. The team I worked with was great and the reason I kept going back every day. If I could have stayed based solely off this, I would have never left. Unfortunately, that wasn't possible.

Cons

Where to start? HR. Unorganized, unprofessional and a complete joke. Human Resources should be advocates for employees, but instead it feels like they are only there to nitpick and uphold senseless company policies that cause friction amongst team members, tension within departments and frustration overall. Introducing new policies like taking lap tops away from employees who have had them for years, and forcing them to go to desktops. When employees who have had the luxury of working from home no longer have that option, it causes a lot of issues. Policies like policies that weren't policies until you apparently broke that policy and were given a write up for breaking that policy. Exhausting! Sales Leaders with egos that enter a room before they do. How many Vice Presidents does one company need?! Sales people who don't know what they are selling and refuse to admit mistakes, yet expect everyone internally to recreate and reinvent processes to fit their mistakes...the internal people are having fingers pointed at them, "WHY ISN'T THIS RIGHT?!" It's like the Twilight Zone, Groundhog Day. Over and over again. No accountability. No direction. Worst excuse of sales "leadership" I've ever seen in my career! There are a select FEW, and by "few", I mean 4...that are worth anything! The rest? Absolute jokes. If you want to work for a company that pays their internal people less than market and less than what they deserve, to be glorified "babysitters", then this job is for you! If you want to have your creativity stifled and constantly be questioned, then this job is for you! If you're okay with being a hamster in a wheel, or a monkey in a Circus...GO FOR IT! It wasn't for me.

Advice to Management

Stop paying sales people so much money based off a hypothetical Rolodex. Start investing more in your internal people, who are the real ones who keep the ball rolling. Don't allow people who know nothing about the company or the product to come in and start questioning or adding their "two cents" and start trying to reinvent the way Comdata does things. COMDATA WASN'T BROKEN! But it may be now...

8. "Customer Service"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Antioch, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Antioch, TN

I worked at Comdata full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work schedule
    Decent benefits
    good location

Cons

Low pay, micro-mangers, extremely high turnover rate. I had four supervisors in 8 months

Advice to Management

Be consistent, stop treating people like they are kids

"Morale is at an all time low!"

Former Employee - Corporate Payments in Brentwood, TN
    Former Employee - Corporate Payments in Brentwood, TN

I worked at Comdata full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people in the building. Hard working employees that truly care about each other.

Cons

Raises are rare, management is unprofessional , many don't have degrees, HR is a joke and after 2 years there is still a huge division after the acquisition. No diversity in upper management. Hiring all American Express employees but the sales are not coming in. Many are jumping ship!!!

Advice to Management

HR needs unity and managers need training on how to manage and lead the masses. Communication is awful. Performance reviews are non existent and so are raises.

10. "Good Place to Work"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Murfreesboro, TN
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Murfreesboro, TN

I worked at Comdata full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed the position I held within Corporate Payments. The team I worked on supported each other and worked well with each other for the most part. The food in the cafeteria was awesome and I miss it the most.

Cons

For what we did the pay was not enough. The building was outdated and need a lot of repairs.

"Good experience. Minimal pay and minimal chance of promotion."

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Comdata full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great environment, colleagues are friendly and laid back. Dress code is business casual. Cafeteria is convenient, affordable, and serves decent food.

Cons

Employees are under compensated and undervalued. Employees often go years (2+) without an increase in pay. Company is too focused increasing growth and net income.

Advice to Management

Invest in employees. Hire and promote from within. Compensate employees adequately.