Computacenter Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Computacenter CEO Mike Norris
Mike Norris

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Generous vacation time, good work life balance, average benefits (in 9 reviews)

• Good People; Good Company; thoroughly enjoy it here (in 9 reviews)

1. "Good Company"

I have been working at Computacenter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Generous vacation time, good work life balance, average benefits

Cons

short staffed and need more people to be successful to achieve client satisfaction

Advice to Management

hire more people to help

2. "Computacenter USA"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Computacenter full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very customer oriented. I have always felt that my supervisor has worked with me and I know he has my back. They communicate fairly well more about what you're doing wrong than what you're doing right but the do praise when it's due. For the most part I enjoy working there, I have high regards for my co-workers and supervisors.

Cons

When someone leaves the company they don't replace unless absolutely necessary, they would rather move people around which can leave us shorthanded. Which means we have to do more with less. But that is the corporate way these days, they're no different than anyone else. Would like to see more of a pay increase, but at least we do get them. Work life balance not the greatest but that is because of the commute time and the time that I retire in the evening, I can't blame them for that. Overtime is almost non-existent.

Advice to Management

I don't have anything bad to say about managment.

"Good company, poor management"

Current Employee - Service Desk Analyst in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Service Desk Analyst in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Computacenter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company advertises a business model that sounds like a dream place to work. I'm sure the mean well but it's hard to know what happens on site. Nonetheless, Good entry level job. We were taken aboard from our previous company and they seemed genuinely caring about heir employees. I have no doubt the company in itself has good values.

Cons

Service desk Management and local leadership are poor at best.
    They feel threatened by, and work hard to suffocate ambition, rather than encouraging it. They hire incompetent people and treat their good analysts poorly.
    They established non productive rules that doubles. They recently laid off people and now are seriously understaffed, to the point where the analysts are punished for doing their job. If a service desk analyst is on a call when his/her scheduled lunch or break time hits the clock, they have to ask for permission before they can take their break. These are grown up, responsible folks. It seems like the management doesn't even realize the level of disrespect they're stooping to.
    If you're ambition-less and like to just be an employee rather than a valuable contributor to a team, this is the job for you. Otherwise, either stay away or make sure it's only a stepping stone.

Advice to Management

Stop making your analysts pay for your incompetence, hire people with actual technical knowledge, re-evaluate your employee value, and learn to back them up. Above all, Respect your employees.

"Worse job ever, especially if you're a woman"

Current Employee - Customer Engineer in Gaithersburg, MD
    Current Employee - Customer Engineer in Gaithersburg, MD

Pros

If your friends with management, you won't have to do any work. You can come in late, leave early, or just not come in at all.

Cons

Benefits are terrible. If your not friends with management, you'll have to work 10 times as hard and receive no recognition. You need to use your own car and cell phone with no reimbursement. No supplies or necessary equipment to get the job done. Management and team leads have no idea what they're doing and don't dare disagree with anything they say. Management and HR don't listen to you and don't follow culture and values , it's all just words. Don't trust any of them. They will try to screw you over as much as possible. As a woman, you will be ignored and treated as less than.

Advice to Management

Follow your culture guidelines. Get better Management. People who are actually experienced in that field.

"Not knowledgeable"

I worked at Computacenter full-time

Pros

The company culture that's stated sounds great.

Cons

The management and HR don't follow the company culture so it's worthless

Advice to Management

Create positive environment for employees with real expectations regarding salary, PTO entitlement and help employees to achieve good work/life balance. Loyalty to long term employees would be a plus.

"Never, ever, EVER trust this place"

I worked at Computacenter full-time

Pros

They seem to have a lot of contracts across the country.

Cons

Their management sucks, their pay is horrendous, and their policies are terrible. This company is horrid.

Advice to Management

Pay people what they're worth, stop screwing around with employees who don't do any work, but take their pay anyway, and stop playing politics just to save a dollar.

"They will give you a run for your money"

I have been working at Computacenter (More than a year)

Pros

Nothing - horrible company to work for.

Cons

Not the best company to work for since they do not care about their employees. If you do start working for them, be prepared because you will be doing the job of 5 people and they will will run you to the ground with minimum pay.
    They talk about lots of opportunities - dont bother applying for it. Even if you qualify for the job, they will turn you down because they only do things in their best interest.

Advice to Management

Nothing - they dont listen anyway.

"Computa Center Sucks!!"

Current Employee - Deskside Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Deskside Engineer in New York, NY

Pros

None, None, Nothing, Never, Ever

Cons

Can't get paid on time.
    Can't get my OT paid at correct Rate, when I do get it..

Advice to Management

No Advice, they do not care about their employees.

"Company offering high tech future proof solutions to customers, yet internally still lives very much in the past!"

I worked at Computacenter full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people, fast changing and paced environment. Opportunity for growth, however it's very much as a result of firefighting and being moved around, rather than through applied development.

Good benefits such as health Insurance and Ticket Restaurant - Although it's only making up the lower salary.

Good work life balance if you're not a L1 call taker!

Cons

Ironically there is a big lack of IT knowledge, people are generally only recruited for language skills then performance reviewed against technical, and soft skills gained only from poor on boarding and training.

The Barcelona service center started purely for the languages that couldn't be easily recruited at the major Computacenter locations such as Hatfield.
    As such the services initially arrive at Barcelona with a very heavy focus on Language support, yet as contracts mature and CC makes more promises to the clients, when contract renewal time arrives, more and more technical projects arrive at CC Barcelona. It's often left to the analysts and team leaders to come up with technical solutions or work on projects that require skills above their current level.

Considering the amount of extra tasks most people perform, the salary is poor and looks like it hasn't been reviewed since the company first set up in Spain approx 10 years ago. It's not competitive and the company needs to get up to date. There are currently a large number of vacancies not filled, and looking around sites like this and seeing similar roles with better salaries, it's not surprising.

Health Insurance and Ticket Restaurant are nice to have, but CC seems to think that it's part of your "salary", many other companies in the region offer the both and still pay a higher salary. It's a not a replacement.
    To me this mentality is from 10 years ago, when it wasn't perhaps so common, however today it's expected from a company of this size.

At an operational level, it's pretty embarrassing to be Europe's leading IT support company, when almost all of our clients are using newer equipment and operating systems than we are internally! As the "experts" I really feel we should be leading by example rather than lagging behind.

Advice to Management

Take a look at the service model, after 10 years of accounts coming, going and growing, there is a need for more technical resources and training. The recruitment policy needs to reflect this, we cannot continue to ask for language skills alone.
    Same applies to the salary scale, look around at other companies and see how competitive you really are. It's time to review the 10 year old scale you have, the cost of living has shot up here in 10 years.

And tell Mr Norris to stop with the ridiculous emails, I don't care where he last went to his Villa and how much his lunch and hotel cost the company,

"Breaking rocks in the IT Gulag"

Pros

A gristle pit of grunt work backed up by the most horrific specimins of middle management know to mankind. Free coffee though

Cons

Not shooting yourself on monday morning.