Conair Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
Ronald T. Diamond

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Maybe upper management should try going three weeks with no paycheck (in 9 reviews)

• Lack of strategic direction, CEO with no vision or leadership skills, no HR department, lack of employee development plans (in 4 reviews)

1. "Old company = old morals and values"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in East Windsor, NJ
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in East Windsor, NJ

I have been working at Conair full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and great food!

Cons

Lack of communication in upper management; Employee turnover

Advice to Management

Start a more progressive approach.

"High hopes with no growth"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

I worked at Conair full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free lunch, Great co-wokers, Job security, Great benefits

Cons

Low pay grade
    Management doesn't know what they are doing
    Promotions by title without raise

When I was first hired I never received a formal offer. My future boss told me to fill out a sheet where I had to write down my desired salary. He came back to me saying it was way too high and told me what to write down. I was confused since I wasn't dealing with HR. I came down a little bit and he still said it was too high and said to write down what he had suggested. At this point I had been unemployed for 6 months so I really needed the job so I just wrote down what he suggested.

6 years later I had barely moved up. I received a promotion that 1st year I was there with a title change and an extra 2% on top of my raise. Every year after that I took on more work, new roles and there was no recognition. The only people who seemed to care were my co-workers who felt the same way. I feel like this happened in almost every group in my area. I worked with some of the hardest working people I've ever worked with and some of the laziest... Unfortunately some of those lazy people were managers who didn't care.

Would I recommend Conair to someone in the future? Sure, yeah... If you're on your way to retirement or if you're just starting out. Don't expect any flashy salary or pats on the back though. If you are looking for a place to get your work done, kick back and not care about anything... Maybe give it a try?

P.S.
    I'm only giving Compensations & Benefits 3 stars because the benefits are actually really good :)

Advice to Management

Wake up...

"Sales manager"

I worked at Conair full-time

Pros

The people working in the trenches are dedicated and want to succeed

Cons

Company can turn on you without notice, and you're out the door. Very stressful to deal with upper management

Advice to Management

Recognize that we are not perfect.

"The clock is ticking..."

I have been working at Conair full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

incredible hours 9-5 (with a lunch! so 7 hours!). gold plated benefits. free lunch/breakfast! great co-workers

Cons

many people are on "cruise control". company is not growing. people in powerful positions are lazy/obsolete

Advice to Management

It's a very radical idea, but you need to clean house. The company is loaded with people in positions who don't feel the need to answer to anyone. Because of this work can often take FOREVER to get done. Communication between departments is so poor that if this company didn't have such a huge market share it would've put it out of business long ago. You would be amazed at how painful it is to ask someone to do their job.

It takes a while, but after the initial honeymoon period new employees are often frustrated/puzzled with the process at Conair. The system starts to wear you down and you know there's little you can do to fix it because certain people maybe a "family friend" or on his/her 20th year at the company. After new employees get over this frustration I often see their minds settle into one of two options:

1) I'm going to leave this company
    2) Shut up, eat the free lunch, and go "cruise control"

Start investing in your people AND your company. Employees know this company prints money because of how well it can save a nickel, but in the digital age you're left with a company filled with people who are obsolete. Stop micro managing and policing employees. For already underpaid employees it's only resulted in already low morale going even lower.

Prepare for the inevitable: Brick & Mortar is dead. Green light whatever money is needed to ramp up your digital TODAY and turn this company around. Do it quickly before it's too late

5. "QA"

I have been working at Conair full-time

Pros

Never worked overtime at this company

Cons

No room for advancement within this company

"Heard the N word plenty of times. Racist and misogynistic jokes were almost a weekly occurrence."

Former Employee - Administration in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Administration in New York, NY

I worked at Conair full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It honestly beats being unemployed; you can also expense almost anything. Heard bragging about a tab at a strip club being expensed as a marketing meeting. The hilarity if they were to be investigated by the feds again.

Cons

Lots or bigotry by old italian men who will deny it when confronted. Pay and benefits are almost laughable unless you're a family friend.

Advice to Management

Toss out the old school buddies that are just handed a job and actually hire people with experience at a legit company.

"Good food, crappy management"

Former Employee - Creative in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Creative in Stamford, CT

I worked at Conair full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good hours, free breakfast and lunch. shuttle from train, excellent benefits

Cons

Terrible management. They truly look out for themselves. HR shoves things under the rug instead of addressing people and their abusive behavior. Terrible vacation/sick time. Very antiquated. They do not trust their employees. You have to always watch out for yourself.

Advice to Management

Learn how to manage. Don't put people into positions they are not qualified for. Realize there are 2 sides to every story.

"IT Analyst"

Current Employee - IT Analyst in East Windsor, NJ
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in East Windsor, NJ

I have been working at Conair full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice people and small company

Cons

Not much opportunity for growth. The IT department does not have many people under 40.

Advice to Management

Work to develop your employees.

"You would be wise to make a better career choice"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Conair full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The breakfast and lunch and some colleagues

Cons

Without going into too much detail, I would say that this is a company that has lost its way. There are many people in marketing and sales that are unhappy and things do not seem to be getting any better! With a 1% match in 401K be prepared to save a lot of money yourself for your retirement. Maybe a good place to start a career, but look for other more progressive places to work for the long term.

Advice to Management

No advice would help with this group

"Left on my own terms"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Operations Manager in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Operations Manager in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Conair full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

a company you can retire from

Cons

a company that you can not grow with

Advice to Management

pay attention to the people that are actually doing the work. Not the people you gossip with.