Couchbase Reviews | Glassdoor

4.4
Couchbase Chief Executive Officer Matt Cain
Matt Cain

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great customers, Great People, Great Products and a rare opportunity to join a company on a great growth path (in 8 reviews)

• Couchbase is a great culture, and they want to pay their reps (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • it doesn't seem sales leadership knows how to improve efficiency, and they won't take suggestions (in 3 reviews)

• The company is run in a very fiscally prudent way, so you have to have a solid business case in place to get budget (in 2 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A Dream Job!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Couchbase full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* Fantastic culture!
    * Focused, energetic team with aligned goals - no corporate politics
    * True collaboration with everyone playing their positions
    * Great market opportunity and growth potential

Cons

I've been here a few months and I haven't found any "cons" yet. If I had to pick one is that the whole world doesn't know about us - yet... I'm very pleased with my decision to take a leap of faith on Couchbase: thus far this is the the most exciting and rewarding position I've had in a fairly long career.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you're doing. Strong focus on growth and culture is a winning combination for customers and employees alike.

Jul 24, 2017 – Communications Manager, HR

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! We're proud of the culture we've built and happy to know when employees feel the same. Here's to a great rest of the year.

2. "Only the product is good"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Couchbase full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Couchbase product is really solid compared to other databases. Smart people, good culture.

Cons

Work is not exciting. Don't go by what receruiters sale you. Lots of people have left. Pay is low, not many perks compared to other similar companies.

Jul 24, 2017 – Communications Manager, HR

Thank you for sharing your experience working at Couchbase. We encourage feedback at all levels and are continuously looking to improve our employee offerings and experience. Our recruiters speak... More

3. "Great People, Great Culture, Great Product"

I have been working at Couchbase full-time

Pros

Been with the company for almost 1 year and while there have been senior management changes, all for the positive. Great people and great culture - senior leaders are invested in creating a great place to work.

Cons

Usual start-up issues but no show-stoppers

Advice to Management

Keep investing in the right people

"Nickel and Dimed"

I have been working at Couchbase full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very strong technology to compete in very crowded database space

Cons

Deals are hard enough to find and sell-but once you do they figure out a way to screw their sales people - they do not pay at industry levels and they are incredibly devious in the ways they figure out how not to pay their sales people

Advice to Management

Stop focusing on technology only and take care of your field or else the revolving door continues and the customers suffer with inconsistent service

Apr 10, 2017 – VP Human Resources

Hello, and thank you for your honest feedback. I’m sorry for your experience, it’s not one I want anyone in our company to have. We’re committed to ensuring everyone here feels valued and rewarded... More

"Why have so many people left Couchbase?"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Couchbase full-time

Pros

- Very nice people at the individual contributor level, as well as some in management.
    - Office very well designed and comfortable to work in

Cons

Looking back on my own experience at Couchbase I am struck by the astonishing talent exodus at the company available for anyone to see on LinkedIn. While I was there the management politics were cut-throat, information was hoarded and the atmosphere was rife with secrecy and paranoia that obstructed productivity and drove talented employees out the door. There was little attempt that I saw by management to curb any of this, or even to acknowledge it was happening. To this day I am still being alerted to congratulate former employees on their new positions at other companies, so perhaps not much has changed.

Advice to Management

Stop being so disengaged.

Apr 10, 2017 – Communications Manager, HR

Thank you for your thoughts. We’re proud of the talent we’ve been able to welcome and cultivate at Couchbase. We also understand that recruiting the best and the brightest means some will make... More

6. "Quick onboarding, amazing team"

I have been working at Couchbase full-time

Pros

Invested team, terrific focus and excitement as we grow.

Cons

none have come to light yet

Apr 10, 2017 – Communications Manager

Thank you for your thoughts! We're happy to hear you enjoyed your onboarding experience and are excited to have you.

7. "Technology, Salary and great people to work with"

I have been working at Couchbase full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People, People and People. I rest my case.

Cons

A few based on bay are standards of perks, but nothing serious which would make me walk away.

Advice to Management

We are doing employee recognition at small scale, it would be nice to do it more frequently.

Jul 24, 2017 – Communications Manager, HR

We're glad you're having a great experience at Couchbase. We are working on a larger scale employee recognition program, but open to any and all suggestions. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!... More

8. "Great Place, Real Work"

Current Employee - Lead User Experience Designer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Lead User Experience Designer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Couchbase full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For engineers, at least, there are zero politics and reasonable expectations about the dent you can make in a mountain of work we have ahead of us.

Cons

It is more a collection of individuals than a mature company (not a bad thing necessarily), so don't expect a lot of extra hand-holding -- you have to figure a few things out yourself.

Advice to Management

Keep getting the employees together for regular little things. We have lots of remote employees and even within engineering groups, there is some silo-ing.

Jul 24, 2017 – Communications Manager, HR

Thank you for your review! We'll make sure to keep facilitating great events and get togethers for all employees to participate in.

9. "Great People, Great Technology, Winning Business Model"

Current Employee - Vice President of Technical Support in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President of Technical Support in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Couchbase full-time (More than a year)

Pros

What drew me to Couchbase was the technology initially, what's been the most rewarding has been the people and the constant sense that it's a company on the right track and headed for great success. As a support VP I've rarely had the experience to work at a place where all of the organizations involved seemed to 100% aligned and in tune like I find at Couchbase. The teams are energetic, committed and amazingly all trying to do the right thing, in the end, for the customer first. That's true right from the CEO on down. Definitely one of the best experiences I've had in my career.

Cons

The only con for me is that it's not HQ'ed in San Francisco. Beyond that it would be hard for me to point to something that is a downside for me.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on the main goal, providing fantastic technology to a market that is hungry for what we produce. Keep an eye closely glued to quality. Keep the engine running at high speed. Fantastic stuff.

10. "Great to be in a focused company, on a "change the world" team"

Current Employee - Director Technical Product Marketing in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Director Technical Product Marketing in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Couchbase full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with. Smart, dedicated, communicative, diverse, and focused.

Cons

It's a startup. Things change. If change and asking yourself "What can we do differently or better?" isn't your cup of tea, then this is probably not the best place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. Stay focused. Continue to execute.