DOWL Reviews

Updated Mar 24, 2020

4.5
DOWL President Stewart G. Osgood, P.E.
Stewart G. Osgood, P.E.
Pros
Cons
  • "They push deadlines to the extreme and don’t care about work life balance(in 5 reviews)

• "Although not an absolute, life seems to steadily get worse for talented and hard working project managers(in 5 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. "The sky is the limit"

Current Employee - Civil Designer in Portland, OR

I have been working at DOWL full-time for more than a year

Pros

Autonomy, Opportunity, Engagement, Mentorship, Benefits, flexible schedule

Cons

New office, turnover, slow software adoption, city commute, company merge issues

March 29, 2020President and CEO

Thanks for the nice review. I hear you on the Blue Beam issue and recall talking with folks in Portland a month or so ago regarding some of the frustration of not having this loaded on everyone's machine. I have talked to our CIO and we will be expanding our number of licenses. Not to make excuses, but this C-19 thing has dropped a bomb on our systems and workload and we are playing catch-up. On the positive side, we have responded quickly to your work from home request and we have greatly expanded this program in the last three weeks. : )

2. "Not an employee but I would like to be!"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant

I have been working at DOWL full-time for less than a year

Pros

Read the reviews! For such a large company they apparently know how to treat their employees and this speaks huge volumes! The offering of training in certain areas was somewhat unprecedented for what I have seen in my local area. They seem to have an amazing benefit package. The Captain William Henry Moore Bridge project looks freaking amazing, fun, challenging and right up my mental alley. Yes this is a company I would work for. Please note that I was required to answer initial questions as if I was an employee or former employee but I am not. I figured a company who has such a great review and history deserved to have it pointed out by a non employee. Great job to the management and team for providing whatever atmosphere and working model you have to achieve this. Cara Tapken

Cons

That I am not working there!!! Yes I did apply after reading about the company, how could I not!

March 29, 2020President and CEO

Wow! DOWL often pledges our devotion to the themes of integrity, innovation, and inspiration. I am inspired by your review and I think it is a very innovative way to set yourself apart as an applicant. I am not sure where you are in the application process with DOWL, but I am certain that desire and drive is rewarded in our system. Go get 'em .

3. "Great Place to Start Career!"

Current Employee - Civil Engineer I

I have been working at DOWL full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lots of freedom and independence. Plenty of chances to speak up for what you want to do. Interesting projects. Fair pay and benefits. Work sharing among offices means you can connect with experts all over the west, and can work with people in other offices. Flexible schedule. DOWL respects that their employees have personal lives.

Cons

Hardly any structure in training-- a good thing if you learn best by doing and being given lots of space, not a good thing if you have trouble speaking up for yourself. Supervisors check in, but you've gotta take initiative here.

November 19, 2019President and CEO

Thanks for the comments. We try not to have a sink or swim on-boarding and training program. We are committed as a firm to employee development and upward mobility and we will take your comment to heart and bring forward an enhanced program in 2020. That notwithstanding, your advice to take initiative and speak up for yourself is critical in any career. Good advice.

4. "Roadway Designer"

Current Employee - Roadway Designer in Medford, OR

I have been working at DOWL full-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly staff, nice equipment, and helpful management.

Cons

No complaints as of yet.

November 19, 2019President and CEO

Thanks. My door is always open, as should be your supervisor's, if you have suggestions for us to improve. Welcome to DOWL.

5. "Fantastic Onboarding!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at DOWL full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great pay. Great people. Exciting projects. Computer systems just work without thinking hard. Fantastic onboarding experience.

Cons

I was assigned a clunky heavy laptop.

August 29, 2019President and CEO

Thanks for positive review and I am glad your first month was a good one. I will look into the laptop issue. We work hard to keep our tools modern and effective for our employees so they can effectively do their job. I may not be able to do anything about the weight of the machine, but it should be fit-for-purpose and include the most modern and up to date processors. BTW, your second month is going to be even better!

6. "Dynamic Company"

Current Employee - Geotechnical Engineer in Billings, MT

I have been working at DOWL full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Get to work on a lot of unique projects throughout the Pacific Northwest. Pay is good and the fellow employees are great.

Cons

A little slow to evolve to the modern age of dynamic change. However, DOWL is getting better at this and is a good company to work for.

August 29, 2019President and CEO

Great advice and I assure you that we dedicate a sizable portion of our budget to modernization of our tools and software expenses. In fact, our software budget alone in the company is around $3 M annually. We are trying to spend that money effectively and eliminate duplication of software packages and equipment, but it is hard when you are serving multiple clients in multiple states with client driven demands/requirements. DOWL will continue to invest heavily in training to make for the best, happiest, most motivated, most trained, and most well-equipped work force in our industry. Thanks again for the recommendations and suggestions.

7. "Excellent Transportation Firm in Western US"

Current Employee - Transportation Engineer in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at DOWL full-time

Pros

I love working for a firm that has the small firm culture where you know all your co-workers and you have the ability to influence the direction of the company and at the same time be a large enough company to compete with the big firms on just about any project in the areas we work. Great highways, bridges, and aviation planning and design firm!

Cons

None that I can think of!

August 29, 2019President and CEO

Love the advice to management. We try to always punch beyond our weight class, and we borrow the theme from Reno, NV which is they are the "Biggest little city in the world."

8. "Keeps you busy but good benefits and gaining tons of experience."

4.0

I have been working at DOWL full-time for less than a year

Pros

I enjoy working here because the people are encouraging and it’s a place to work that I feel I can really succeed in my career.

Cons

There is lots of work so some days can be long to meet deadlines.

August 29, 2019President and CEO

Welcome to DOWL, and I am glad you are feeling utilized and busy. There is nothing worse than starting a job and having nothing to do, or a supervisor that is "too busy" to integrate you into the work force. We attempt to challenge everyone by having them perform slightly beyond their comfort zone.

9. "Solid company, Bright Future, Meritocracy"

Current Employee - Civil Engineer

I have been working at DOWL full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I think DOWL is managed conservatively to always protect the health and well-being of our employees and company, but DOWL is also strategically aggressive and is always looking for opportunity to improve their position. DOWL rewards (compensation, project opportunities, etc.) based on contribution. DOWL has an entrepreneurial spirit and is agile and nimble to adapt to client and market needs. Employees will get out of their career at DOWL what they put into their career. There is a lot of opportunity for hard-working, motivated people.

Cons

Processional services consultants are often up against hard deadlines with rippling consequences which can create a stressful work environment. I think this is common for on industry and is not unique to DOWL.

August 29, 2019President and CEO

Thanks for the review. I feel like I was the one that wrote it : ) Yes, we are conservatively managed from a financial standpoint. We follow the numbers, and understand the business and reward performance. This financial responsibility allows us to have the cash to invest in growth and modern tools and take some chances with key hires, mergers, acquisitions, new offices, and chasing new work or alternative project delivery pursuits . . . all of which takes cash from retained earnings. Strong companies can chances and be opportunistic. Sloppy and weak companies cannot. The issue of meritocracy is a good one. I would say that DOWL is not a strict meritocracy, but on the spectrum between 1 and 10, with 1 being egalitarian and 10 being meritocracy, we probably sit around 7. Culturally, I think that fits us as an overall company.

"A great company"

Current Employee - Senior Civil Engineer in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at DOWL full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Excellent leadership. A vast array of talented professionals to call upon. Lots of great projects to work on. The company is well managed providing opportunities for growth and professional development.

Cons

none that I can think of

February 18, 2019President and CEO

Appreciate your review and perspective. We are always on the path of continual improvement, and never satisfied with our performance.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 79 English Reviews