KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

DOWL Reviews

Updated Dec 10, 2021

Found 95 of over 100 reviews

4.5
DOWL President Stewart G. Osgood, P.E.
Stewart G. Osgood, P.E.
Pros
  • "DOWL really cares about its people(in 21 reviews)

• "Great people and interesting projects(in 7 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Dowl wants employees to have good work/life balance(in 10 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of DOWL and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0

Company culture

Dec 3, 2021 - Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Large enough for great projects and small enough to work with many professionals within the company. Various locations and diverse projects. Very social and welcoming with many professional opportunities.

Cons

It would be interesting to have more diversity with awarded projects

2. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Supportive employer driven by passion and loyalty.

Aug 27, 2021 - CAD Drafter
      Business Outlook

Pros

The level of expertise and experience of the company is impressive. There are many leaders of various fields of engineering and the company continues to develop more. The benefits package is immediate and contains many improvements from my previous employers: company contributions to 401k, a good high deductible health plan with additional support with a HSA, and vacation time accrued from day one. The business outlook of our office looks great with projects continuing to be won. The future is bright from my point of view

Cons

I was onboarded during the height of COVID-19 measures. Initial training for someone new to the industry was lacking. With years of mostly self-taught CAD experience it was refreshing to see 'company standards' but the only detailed direction I received was from an outdated company standards manual. I had to learn by doing (which I am a proponent of) but as someone with higher personal standards it slowed my workflow down. While there are many employees throughout the states, due to COVID and work from home it feels as if the company is no bigger than my office. It is difficult to find ways to reach out to the leaders I mentioned in the Pros.

President and CEO

Great review with lots of stuff we can work on and implement. Thanks for taking the time to put it together. Regarding the CAD standards, I completely agree. And regarding COVID, I refuse to use it as an excuse. We need to do better to onboard employees in the virtual world that we now live in. If you have any specific feedback, please reach out to Keri (CPO) and she would welcome the feedback. And thanks for acknowledging the generous benefits program. We work very hard and spend a lot of money to protect the DOWL family.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

DOWL is a great company to work for!

Nov 1, 2021 - Project Manager in Anchorage, AK
      Business Outlook

Pros

DOWL really cares about its people. They make a vested effort to provide excellent benefits, they've made a commitment to providing mentoring opportunities, and DOWL's culture fosters inclusion and acceptance of all employees. DOWL has a flexible WFH policy and is willing to work with the needs of employees in real time.

Cons

As with any consulting firm the ebb and flow of work can sometimes be daunting.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

PM Review

Nov 27, 2021 - Project Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Culture, work-life balance, meritocracy, project diversity, inclusion, opportunities for advancement and ownership for A-players

Cons

Corporate red tape, not technological first mover, and slow to invest in facilities

5. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Dec 10, 2021 - Administrative in Eugene, OR
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good people to work with

Cons

Compensation and benefits were not as good after the merger

6. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

good but not great

Nov 5, 2021 - Survey Technician in Lake Oswego, OR
      Business Outlook

Pros

-good pay -decent management -cool "gifts" and such -professional workplace -probably the best 401k match you'll find anywhere (25%)

Cons

-HR lacks in communication periodically -it was expected the employee would pay for their out of town expenses and be reimbursed the following pay period most of the time -quick to jump to conclusions about work production with no consideration of obstacles that might slow you down -minimal room for growth in survey department

7. 5.0

Set up for success

Aug 27, 2021 - Transportation Engineer in Redmond, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Project Managers at DOWL will do their best to get you involved in projects that you're interested. There's tons of opportunities to learn and grow, if you're open to them. Upper management takes feedback seriously and cares about their employees.

Cons

Work life balance can be challenging with project deadlines but its always a team effort to get projects submitted, so you're never alone when you have to work a long day to get something done.

President and CEO

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback. I agree, there is a lot of opportunity at our little company for those that want to advance. The WLB thing is a challenge and always have been. We all understand that there are some long days and some long weeks. What we need to avoid is long months, and long years. Your mental health and health of our family is important, so if you need to "cry uncle", please do so. We can get relief.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

A company with integrity and an amazing place to work

Feb 27, 2021 - Civil Engineer in Portland, OR
      Business Outlook

Pros

Awesome leadership with integrity, kind and capable people, numerous training opportunities, fair compensation, amazing projects, great benefits and bonuses, work flexibility, emphasis on profitability but not at the expense of people. I noticed more training opportunities in my first year than the previous 3 years at a different work place. Dowl cares about their people.

Cons

Depending on office and time of year, work/life balance can be challenging. However, management is eager to assist in balancing workload. Dowl wants employees to have good work/life balance. When I first started, it seemed like Dowl was dragging a little in adapting to new technologies. I’ve noticed vast improvement in this area this past year. Lastly, like many American engineering companies, Dowl’s parental leave policy is lacking.

President and CEO

Thanks for the thorough and well thought out review. Love the specificity of the advice to management. One thing we have all learned (re-learned) is that parenting, public school schedules, and work are so intertwined that we need to be flexible and modify our benefits to better accommodate our working parents and caregivers. We are investing heavily in technologies and systems to make our workers more efficient while hey work from anywhere. And DOWL 25 is all about people development and recruiting and making our staff happier, more engaged, and lifetime learners. Suggestions like this are critical to help management stay focused on "the most important things". Thanks again!

9. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great Opportunity

Aug 10, 2021 - Marketing Coordinator in Bend, OR
      Business Outlook

Pros

Growth opportunity, bonuses, flexibility schedule, benefit options, supportive teams and ability to interact with multiple offices in the states where the company is active.

Cons

Training was a little difficult (Partially COVID related) but seemed like they were redoing how training worked in their marketing/creative department. Looks like their was a plan and everyone was there to help so not much of a con.

President and CEO

Really appreciate the review. We are refusing to use COVID as an excuse for lack of communication. We are constantly striving to improve training and deliver it to your desktop in an effective and efficient manner. Thanks again for the feedback.

10. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work

Aug 7, 2021 - Water Resources Engineer I in Laramie, WY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great boss and company vision, great mentorship from project level engineers, good project budgets, work life balance, training opportunities, interesting projects

Cons

Small office makes it difficult to build coworker friendships (no one young), small towns are not for everyone

President and CEO

Thanks for the review. DOWL recently had to consolidate several of our offices in Wyoming and Montana into other "nearby" offices as a means of clustering talent to allow us to create and office "buzz" that is essential to creating vibrancy. Laramie was one of those offices. This was a very difficult decision to implement. Laramie, Lander, Butte, and Gillette are great communities and we still have some wonderful employees in those communities. We just do not have brick and mortar "offices" in those towns. And BTW, your are correct. Rich is a great office manager and boss.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 95 Reviews
    </>Embed

DOWL Reviews FAQs

90% of DOWL employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated DOWL 3.9 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.6 for culture and values and 4.7 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at DOWL to be culture, management, career development and the cons to be workplace, work life balance, benefits.

Popular Careers with DOWL Job Seekers