Data Paradigm Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.6
Ron Phillips

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "A Great Environment for Growth"

Former Employee - Intern in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Intern in Dallas, TX

Pros

I really enjoyed my internship with Data Paradigm. While my title suggested an entry-level experience, the employees at Data Paradigm acknowledged the skillset that I acquired through freelance and past employment positions. I was able to learn about their company, take part in their community culture committee, and contribute to their productivity as an intern writing test cases, and as a developer by debugging and learning by reading through their logic and communicating with other team members.

Cons

It was interesting to see that a number of their clients were using outdated programming languages, although not to outdated that they were deprecated. I learned the relevance of preserving legacy code, and was able to meet a number of developers who were much older than me. Their willingness to quickly learn new languages and segue their clients into newer applications was slower than I would have thought. It is not really a con, and I'm sure that it's always a work in progress between clients, but it is the most negative aspect of working there that I can recall.

Advice to Management

Stay golden!

Oct 5, 2016 – President/CEO

Thank you very much for the feedback. We're taking a long hard look at all that we do.

2. "Great company, great people."

I have been working at Data Paradigm full-time

Pros

New CEO is on the ball. Upper management provides excellent guidance. Always lots of work to do so lay-offs are pretty much non-existent. Nice mix of old and new technology. Good, repeatable processes in place. Culture Committee provides lots of fun events. Christmas party is fantastic. Free soda, right next to DART station. Company provides parking pass or stipend for DART riders. Bonuses, 401K and free health insurance for the employee.

Also, Glass Door needs to update the company profile. Paul Booth is no longer the CEO. Ron Phillips is the new CEO and he is awesome. Paul was too...

Cons

There can be long hours and tight deadlines but this is tech. Show me a tech company that doesn't have long hours and tight deadlines.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

Sep 29, 2016 – President/CEO

Thank you very much for your comments. It is truly my goal to change the culture at Data Paradigm to that of a professional and highly sought after software development company. If you ever have... More

3. "Had Potential...Just CEO is a Type A Monster"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Dallas, TX

Pros

DPI is a fast paced environment with lots of work so there is never a boring day. DPI has a good track of hiring cool capable people so the work teams are efficient and goal oriented. Good Healthcare & bonuses.

Cons

CEO is the worst. He's not the type anyone with a moral compass would want to work for. You are on the clock at DPI 24/7 so thinking that you would have downtime in life is over. This is not an ideal environment for a person with a life or family because the work culture is WORK is all that matters. Sorry to say this company is lead by the fear work culture and everyone walks on eggshells scared the COO or CEO is gonna chop their head off. WHO wants to work in a place like that. Don't let them bait and switch on you...it's not worth it!!!

Advice to Management

Quit and hire a new set of capable managers that are approachable and ready to deal with real people and real problems whether its work-related or personal.

Sep 29, 2016 – President/CEO

Thank you for the feedback. It is my hope that with the new regime change that occurred in August 2016, things will begin to move in a more positive direction. While I'm certain that the "Type A... More

"A technology company married to dated technology"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Dallas, TX

I worked at Data Paradigm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Like everyone else said, free soda (coders need their caffeine). They feed you when you are required to work late and sometimes when you are required to work through lunch. Most of the people there are great to work with. Casual dress code (jeans and tennis shoes every day). Located right on the Pearl Station platform which is great if you are a DART rider. They compensate you an extra $70 if you take the train (a monthly pass is $80) or, if you drive, they provide free outdoor parking downtown (you have to pay extra to park inside). If you start as a business analyst there and work hard & demonstrate talent you can move up to team lead in a reasonable amount of time.

Cons

Technology is old. 90%+ of their code is Classic ASP and they constantly re-use old code - often old code that is not well written. There's no real path for their Classic ASP coders to progress to ASP.NET. Developer salaries aren't competitive.

If you are recognized by management as talented then be prepared to be worked long hours. When project planning fails (as it often does) you will be required to put in excessive hours to meet deadlines.

Getting away from work is difficulty when you are expected to have your phone with you at all times and be ready to respond to trouble calls 24/7.

Benefits aren't competitive. DPI pays 100% of the employee's medical & dental premiums but zero percent of their spouse' or dependents' premium portion. If you have a spouse and kids you'll be paying just short of $1000 per month for medical & dental (as of 2015).

Advice to Management

Embrace new technology and start getting all of your developers current. Bring in some talented and experienced project managers & system architects to get projects on track and successful. And let them do what needs to be done.

Sep 22, 2016 – President/CEO

Thank you for the balanced review. We've recently made changes at the highest level of the company and intend to accept your advice in many areas.

"Carrot dangling in your face!!!"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Dallas, TX

I worked at Data Paradigm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Dress code, free soda, nice view, free food when they don't want you to ever leave your desk and dinner if you work all night. Next to the train (dart rail), downtown.

Cons

High strees place to work... Pay below market, planning (what's that), process (there are none), benfits (good if you single). Cameras watching your every move. You are expected to work late at the drop of a hat (midnite or later) and there will be some at your desk checking row at 8:30 in the morning and you better be there. They treat the employees like dirt and slaves. They will lay you off with 5 minutes notice. The software is JUNK, the database design is horrible (300 tables not one relationship). They promote the "YES MAN", will lie to your face and stab you in the back at the drop of a hat. the client is alwasy right even when they are worng... You will work under less knowledgeable people and they expect you not to say anything about it but wear a smile. Morale will suck and they don't care... They expect you to go out of your way for them but will not do the same for youas an employee. I can go on...

Advice to Management

If you have a perosn that breaks thier back for you don't under value them! Listen to your worker bees that are driving the business. Don't try to please the client all the time, DPI is suppose to be the LEADER in the market so act like it, when you roll over all the time make them happy it makes the company look weak and like it's not the learder in the market. Stand your ground and act as if you know as much as you say you do. Treat your go to people BETTER!!! Better planning everything can't be a RUSH!!!

Sep 22, 2016 – President/CEO

I am new (returning) to DPI. I have been provided a very special opportunity and wish to do everything I can to make a positive difference. Thank you for taking the time to created this detailed... More

"Low Pay; Lots of Hours"

Former Employee - Team Leader in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Dallas, TX

Pros

Free Sodas. Occasionally Let you work from home.

Cons

Disorganized. I worked far too much overtime. Was required to work on projects I was not qualified for even after I objected.

Advice to Management

Stand up to your customers, and don't let them walk all over you.

Sep 22, 2016 – President/CEO

"Horrible company to work for."

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Dallas, TX

I worked at Data Paradigm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free soft drinks. There was also catered food a lot so that you wouldn't ever have to leave your desk. They had a nice holiday party.

Cons

There was no work to life balance. The management here expected us to work 24/7. I remember one week working 7 straight days and not even receiving a thank you. The norm here is 12+ hour days and more. If you convey to management that you would like more normal hours, you will get let go. The bottom line here is, work long hours and you'll be praised. Try to leave before 6pm on any given day and you'll be looked down upon.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees when they voice their concerns. Stop treating your employees like they are slaves, but instead, show a little respect.

Sep 22, 2016 – President/CEO

The work/life balance is something that we definitely need to work on. I'm new (returning) to DPI in this upper management role. I will do everything I can to make a positive change. Thank you for... More

8. "“With hard work it is possible to advance quickly”"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Data Paradigm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It has great environment to move up throughout company. Management is open to new ideas and plans that would move forward the company's business plan.

Cons

Long hours and hard to balance work and life

Sep 22, 2016 – President/CEO

Thank you for the constructive and honest feedback. It is my hope that with the new regime change that occurred in August 2016, things will begin to move in a more positive direction for the future... More

"Ok place, but stagnant for a career."

Current Employee - Senior Developer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Data Paradigm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Web team is awesome, just wish I had worked with them. Had a fantastic operations manager when I was there (but now they have a terrible operations manager who just seems to make things worse for everyone, hearsay).

Cons

Stupid and/or stagnant people to work with. Coding there is like 19th century coding. Almost all code will be a copy of old code, or bad code. No advanced or OO coding allowed because the company owner doesn't understand it.

Advice to Management

Need to hire some smart, accomplished and ambitious people in place or promote some of the extremely few smart ones you have and let them build something that works. And, with that, you can not be so stingy with the salaries.

Sep 22, 2016 – President/CEO

Thank you for the feedback. I am the original Operations VP returning to take the role of President/CEO. It is my goal to make a positive change for the future of DPI.

"Challenging, but sometimes overwhelming."

Current Employee - Developer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Developer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Data Paradigm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- If you want to work hard, you can learn something new every day.
    - Senior developers are very good to help and teach.
    - Middle management is very encouraging and helpful.
    - Management strives to provide entertaining activities to relieve stress and promote interaction.
    - Free coffee and sodas.

Cons

- Paths to advancement are unclear and not openly encouraged.
    - Workload keeps you busy, but sometimes gets to be too much.
    - "Above and beyond" is encouraged, but rarely rewarded with financial compensation or extra time off.

Sep 22, 2016 – President/CEO

Thank you for the open and honest comments. These are absolutely items that I can personally work on in my new role with the company. Look for positive change in the future.