Data Paradigm Reviews | Glassdoor

Sign Up for FREE in seconds to unlock millions of salaries and reviews

Data Paradigm Reviews

Full-timePart-time

2.6
Ron Phillips

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Data Programmer"

Current Employee - Developer
    Current Employee - Developer

Pros

Data Paradigm provides a great work experience; cares about their employees and their door is always open for suggestions or criticisms.

Cons

I do not think there are cons working at Data Paradigm

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

Nov 3, 2016 – President/CEO

Thank you for the feedback.

"In a word: antiquated"

I worked at Data Paradigm full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most previous benefits (close to DART, sodas in the fridge, etc) are now irrelevant since quite a number of workers are now telecommuting from what I hear thanks to recent employees. So on the surface there's at least the work from home benefit.

Health and dental benefits are fine if you are a single person who enjoys working for working sake.

Sometimes with the right team you can be lumped with creative minds who encourage you, assuming you are that lucky.

Cons

Nearly everything in the company is in a word: antiquated.

The pay scale is sub par, best described for folks working back in the '90s.
    The coding itself was Classic ASP last I remembered, current talks with people still suggest nothing has changed.

Methodology isn't waterfall or agile or even existent. It it more like "do this thing in the next five minutes, because we should have made is 30 minutes ago."
    All the while such childish antics spurred by the clientele was forgiven by the CEO, Paul Booth, because "they exist in a emotionally charged environment and we have to remember that".

Because of this, clients are the main priority and nothing else matters. Good managers leave for other prospects or have to pretty much work 24/7 in order to stay afloat with the company. Developers have been referred to as "resources" to their face and are treated as such. While Managers had a weekly meeting to ensure they stay on track, developers were never allowed such structure.

Coding standards simply do not exist. You are expected to police your own code. There is no oversight by senior developers, because they are overworked. Anyone with a modicum of talent is overextended to the point where they can't perform their originally intended responsibilities.

If you try to take a vacation, paid or otherwise, and you are the only person capable of what you do then that vacation is now a working vacation. Yes even on your time off there have been multiple instances where you have to put company first. Your family, life, and anything outside of that is seen as mere distraction.

Resentment towards higher management was so constant it was seen as the true corporate culture within some circles, all while the company tried to instill "fun" with a Culture Committee: A selected group of people trying to distract you from the fact this company is working antiquated technology with antiquated pay scale, and a antiquated way of thinking from the main boss because he doesn't understand new ways of developing.

Advice to Management

1. Shut down the company if you cannot, or will not, produce viable internal changes that allow your teams to have structure.

2. Stop forming "action plans" or other buzzword jargon and give your developers the respect (and pay) they deserve.

3. Stop the subtle hints that people earning Employee of the Month are usually those who work long hours and weekends. Support the work/home balance better that way. The company allowed telecommuting not because it was right, but as a cost saving measure of desperation if people I talk to are correct.

4. Instill some pride in your work by respecting the developers AND management within the teams. Stop putting the customer as your only focus, because you won't have anyone to work your contracts for you if the good people leave. Then how can you serve your clientele?!

3. "Great Opportunity"

Former Employee - Business Analyst
    Former Employee - Business Analyst

I worked at Data Paradigm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with who really care about doing a good job. I really enjoyed the people I met there.

Cons

A premium was not set on work life balance. A lot of people suffer from being burnt out after the first few months.

Advice to Management

I don't really have any advice to give management at this time. I wish everyone at DPI the best of luck.

4. "A Great Environment for Growth"

Former Employee - Intern in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Intern in Dallas, TX

Pros

I really enjoyed my internship with Data Paradigm. While my title suggested an entry-level experience, the employees at Data Paradigm acknowledged the skillset that I acquired through freelance and past employment positions. I was able to learn about their company, take part in their community culture committee, and contribute to their productivity as an intern writing test cases, and as a developer by debugging and learning by reading through their logic and communicating with other team members.

Cons

It was interesting to see that a number of their clients were using outdated programming languages, although not to outdated that they were deprecated. I learned the relevance of preserving legacy code, and was able to meet a number of developers who were much older than me. Their willingness to quickly learn new languages and segue their clients into newer applications was slower than I would have thought. It is not really a con, and I'm sure that it's always a work in progress between clients, but it is the most negative aspect of working there that I can recall.

Advice to Management

Stay golden!

Oct 5, 2016 – President/CEO

Thank you very much for the feedback. We're taking a long hard look at all that we do.

5. "Great company, great people."

Current Employee - Senior Developer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Data Paradigm full-time

Pros

New CEO is on the ball. Upper management provides excellent guidance. Always lots of work to do so lay-offs are pretty much non-existent. Nice mix of old and new technology. Good, repeatable processes in place. Culture Committee provides lots of fun events. Christmas party is fantastic. Free soda, right next to DART station. Company provides parking pass or stipend for DART riders. Bonuses, 401K and free health insurance for the employee.

Also, Glass Door needs to update the company profile. Paul Booth is no longer the CEO. Ron Phillips is the new CEO and he is awesome. Paul was too...

Cons

There can be long hours and tight deadlines but this is tech. Show me a tech company that doesn't have long hours and tight deadlines.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

Sep 29, 2016 – President/CEO

Thank you very much for your comments. It is truly my goal to change the culture at Data Paradigm to that of a professional and highly sought after software development company. If you ever have... More

6. "Had Potential...Just CEO is a Type A Monster"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Dallas, TX

Pros

DPI is a fast paced environment with lots of work so there is never a boring day. DPI has a good track of hiring cool capable people so the work teams are efficient and goal oriented. Good Healthcare & bonuses.

Cons

CEO is the worst. He's not the type anyone with a moral compass would want to work for. You are on the clock at DPI 24/7 so thinking that you would have downtime in life is over. This is not an ideal environment for a person with a life or family because the work culture is WORK is all that matters. Sorry to say this company is lead by the fear work culture and everyone walks on eggshells scared the COO or CEO is gonna chop their head off. WHO wants to work in a place like that. Don't let them bait and switch on you...it's not worth it!!!

Advice to Management

Quit and hire a new set of capable managers that are approachable and ready to deal with real people and real problems whether its work-related or personal.

Sep 29, 2016 – President/CEO

Thank you for the feedback. It is my hope that with the new regime change that occurred in August 2016, things will begin to move in a more positive direction. While I'm certain that the "Type A... More

"Very Tough Situation"

I worked at Data Paradigm full-time

Pros

Highly respected software development company in the multi-level marketing community. They build CRMs for MLMs.

Cons

Although the CEO operates as the "genius" level, no one will EVER live up to his expectations, no matter how good they are or how hard they try.

Advice to Management

Let the knowledgeable employees do their job and help you to grow your business. Stop using antiquated technology.

Sep 22, 2016 – President/CEO

"One star because they don't allow zero"

Former Employee - Developer
    Former Employee - Developer

Pros

I seriously cannot think of ANY good reason to work here. Maybe Halloween. As long as Carlette still works there.

Cons

Unless you live in downtown Dallas, the commute is horrible. The benefits are underwhelming. There was NO room for advancement as a developer. No training offered to increase a developer's expertise. All that was wanted was "Make it do this with vbscr1pt. Clunky, slow, outdated technology. Senior management were as bad as the pyramid scheme clients they serviced, thinking that working till you drop with no outside life has some value.

Advice to Management

Force Paul Booth into retirement and restructure the company to use today's technology.

Sep 22, 2016 – President/CEO

Thank you for the feedback. We've recently made some internal changes to include management at the top level. I appreciate your open and honest comments.

"developer"

I worked at Data Paradigm full-time

Pros

close to dart. restaurants are near by.

Cons

Old technology, bad management and leadership. no career advancement. They let people go without any notification.

Advice to Management

please value your employees and respect them. They are not disposable plastic cups.

Sep 22, 2016 – President/CEO

Couldn't agree more. The employees are what make this company great. We've recently made changes at the highest level of the company. Thank you for your open and honest comments.

"A technology company married to dated technology"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Dallas, TX

I worked at Data Paradigm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Like everyone else said, free soda (coders need their caffeine). They feed you when you are required to work late and sometimes when you are required to work through lunch. Most of the people there are great to work with. Casual dress code (jeans and tennis shoes every day). Located right on the Pearl Station platform which is great if you are a DART rider. They compensate you an extra $70 if you take the train (a monthly pass is $80) or, if you drive, they provide free outdoor parking downtown (you have to pay extra to park inside). If you start as a business analyst there and work hard & demonstrate talent you can move up to team lead in a reasonable amount of time.

Cons

Technology is old. 90%+ of their code is Classic ASP and they constantly re-use old code - often old code that is not well written. There's no real path for their Classic ASP coders to progress to ASP.NET. Developer salaries aren't competitive.

If you are recognized by management as talented then be prepared to be worked long hours. When project planning fails (as it often does) you will be required to put in excessive hours to meet deadlines.

Getting away from work is difficulty when you are expected to have your phone with you at all times and be ready to respond to trouble calls 24/7.

Benefits aren't competitive. DPI pays 100% of the employee's medical & dental premiums but zero percent of their spouse' or dependents' premium portion. If you have a spouse and kids you'll be paying just short of $1000 per month for medical & dental (as of 2015).

Advice to Management

Embrace new technology and start getting all of your developers current. Bring in some talented and experienced project managers & system architects to get projects on track and successful. And let them do what needs to be done.

Sep 22, 2016 – President/CEO

Thank you for the balanced review. We've recently made changes at the highest level of the company and intend to accept your advice in many areas.