Datameer Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 12, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Christian Rodatus

Pros
  • Self Service Big Data Analytics (in 15 reviews)

• There are/were some great people at the company, as well as limited oversight from superiors during mass layoffs or turnover (which was frequent) (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • big data on Hadoop powered by BI" (in 7 reviews)

• It's a growing company with growing pains, but that's why we are hiring smart and talented people to help solve these problems as we grow (in 6 reviews)

1. "Great transitional times"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Datameer (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great group of people
    - Robust, innovative product
    - Well funded
    - Salaries above avg
    - Growth opportunities
    - Amazing technology
    - 15 PTO, plus 4 floating personal days, plus 9 paid Holidays
    - 6 months maternity or paternity leave with a compensation plan

Cons

- The usual growing pains of a hyper-growth tech startup

Advice to Management

Leadership needs to be figured out. Everything else with the company, people and product is right.

"Not lean, minimal and barebones."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Datameer (More than a year)

Pros

The people are great and they feel like a family. Hard not to look forward to coming to the office every day knowing everyone else will be there.

Cons

The company has taken "lean" to an extreme. Culture and personality is not just lacking, it's vilified. Walking into the office feels like you're in a library; it's pin-drop silent and there's not a single sign of the company having spent any money on the work place beyond having a desk, chair, and laptop for every employee. If you were dropped into the middle of the office without any context, you wouldn't know where you are or what company's office you're in unless you went outside to look at the sign on the door. Even basic computer peripherals like a mouse have to be funded by the employees themselves. Conference rooms are mostly unfurnished apart from the dry erase wall and projector.

While the people themselves are great and they feel more like family than colleagues, the company operates like a revolving door on steroids as the average tenure in the SF office is about 10 months. It doesn't help that management was focused on letting go of as many people as possible and not backfilling their roles in order to try and make the company look as if the profit margin is healthy, resulting in multiple rounds of layoffs and an unsustainable workload where everyone is asked to do things they're bad at.

Advice to Management

Invest in your team if you want your team to invest in you. Color up the office and add some personality to it. Introduce perks for employees outside of just insurance coverage and salads twice a week, like discounted gym membership across the street, or team outings, etc and actually have a budget for all this. Promote positive behaviors and positive attitudes, not just crack the whip when you see negative behavior.

You're in the middle of Silicon Valley with hundreds of significantly more attractive companies within a 10 mile radius. If you want to attract and retain top talent, you need to give them a reason to come and stay.

"Beneficial and Growing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Datameer (Less than a year)

Pros

Upbeat, hard workers, results-driven Executives, good balance of hard work and fun play, solid office and co-workers.

Cons

Tough location to access via public transport.

"Executive Bullying"

Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Datameer (More than a year)

Pros

There are some genuinely great people who are very talented and am hopeful to cross paths with again at some point in my career.

Cons

-A Sales C-Level Executive slapped an employee in the face with zero consequence.
    -The same Sales C-Level Executive hangs out weekly with entry level sales people creating a "boy's" club and culture of favoritism and entitlement. He preaches "work hard & play hard" but quite frankly takes this to the extreme which is actually the reason Datameer's "happy hours" aren't so happy anymore.
    -CEO has built a culture based on fear and has driven away multiple VP & C-Level executives. Specifically, Datameer has been through 2 CMO's in the span of a year due to the CEO's inability to trust and allow the company's leadership and general talent base to thrive and collaborate freely.
    -CEO has publicly called out and embarrassed various members across different teams. He is convinced he is some kind of genius and that his way is the only way. He squeezes the life out of every facet of the business.

Advice to Management

Hire a real CEO.

Hold your Executives to the same standards you hold your employees to. Allowing a Sales C-Level executive to do whatever he wants, whenever wants, with whomever he wants has created a culture of anarchy. His behavior has seeped all the way to the most junior sales functions. Creating angst and general indifference towards some of the most basic things (i.e. showing up to work on time, doing basic job functions and daily baseline metrics, etc.).

Stop running your company like a communist company. It is bad enough that the CEO's ego is so big that the company has driven away 2 CMO's and an incumbent CFO. Leading through fear and deception is just wrong and forcing current employees to write reviews to trick/trap new talent to replace all of the talent you've lost to date is just bad business. The executive team needs to publicly and internally address all of this and fix this fast otherwise they will continue to churn and burn genuinely great people an

6. "Regional Sales Director"

Current Employee - Regional Sales Director in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Director in Dallas, TX

Pros

Great Company and product. Very Exciting to help Enterprise Customers receive Business Value from their Big Data Investment.

Cons

The ever changing Big Data Market demands a forward thinkging Marketing Executive who will help craft a market message that will create demand and differentiate from competitors.

Advice to Management

Listen to market demands and provide the field the opportunity to be heard and act accordingly.

"Full Time Sales"

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Datameer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm going to be honest here. Datameer isn't for everyone. We are a collective of super stars. We have no room for anything less.

That said, if you think you have what it takes to succeed in what is growing to be an even noisier space then take a shot and apply. We pay above market rates and the comp plans are unlike the ones I've seen in my past lives. I can personally attest to the talent and intelligence we have on the sales team and am always inspired to level up my game on a daily basis. We challenge each other to do better, and learn more constantly.

Cons

The kitchen could use more variety in snacks...

Advice to Management

Transparency is key, appreciation is key. We all understand what's at stake here and a few words and bit of dedication to culture will go miles.

"Qlik and BOBJ Superstars!"

Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

Pros

A major up-leveling of talent is underway! The superstars from Qlik and BOBJ are arriving weekly. These guys are passionate and some of the best in the business. Lots to learn from these folks who have worked at 2 of the most successful, fast-growing analytics companies ever.

Cons

Lots of systems can make it time consuming to find info. Salesforce.com not being used to its full potential.

Advice to Management

Keep sourcing and hiring rockstars from the tier-1 companies. Added bonus if they have worked at companies with successful IPOs.

"Great company but growing pains"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Datameer full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people--really smart and collaborative. Great traction in the marketplace and good customer growth. Product is easy to use.

Cons

Only person I know who can make decisions is the CEO.

Advice to Management

Delegate down.

"Member of the outside sales team"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

Company has a positive entrepreneurial atmosphere with lots of smart and energetic people. The product has a lot to offer in the big data analytics arena and is stable and well supported, compared to many other technologies in this market. Employees are generally working together toward a common goal and the greater good.

Cons

Some of the mid and senior level management are relatively new and inexperienced. The company has experienced a lot of turnover in these roles. Hopefully some recent additions to the team will be a positive trend. Also, while the CEO seems generally interested in open communication re: growth plans, etc., day to day communication is lacking. There needs to be better communication from the management team to both corporate and remote employees.

Advice to Management

Be careful who you hire, especially in the VP and C level ranks. You can't afford to continue to experience turnover in those areas, as it doesn't bode well for the long term outlook or the external reputation of the company. Create more of a sales driven company; that aspect of the culture of sorely lacking.

"Never worked for a company with such high churn/turnover"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Datameer full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great employees & good product

Cons

I've never worked for a company with such high churn/turnover. People are leaving every month, including management/VP level.

In order to offset this, HR is trying to hire left & right by not thoroughly interviewing and just picking the next person that applies. It's so ridiculous who they are hiring these days. HR is not thinking this through.

Advice to Management

Fix the churn/turnover!! Please sympathize with the employees. My experience with upper management (including CEO) is a very demotivating & rude one. Respect your employees & listen to them. Don't just beat them down and tell them "this is wrong"

Datameer Response

Jan 9, 2017 – Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know what you think is working, and not working, at Datameer. We want you to know that we take all feedback under thoughtful ... More