Datavail Reviews | Glassdoor

Datavail President & CEO Mark Perlstein
Mark Perlstein

1. "Not bad"

I have been working at Datavail full-time

Pros

Good benefits. Can work from home if you wish.

Cons

Bonuses are non-existent. Pay raises are few and far between. No room for advancement.

Advice to Management

There is such a thing as a cost of living increase. Look it up.

2. "not bad"

I have been working at Datavail full-time

Pros

flexible time, generally speaking, nice people.

Cons

minimal opportunities for growth. top heavy.

Advice to Management

check in with the people actually doing the work, see what is working and what isn't. see where more people are needed and not what the perception is

"won't recommend if you want to grow in your career"

Former Employee - Database Administrator in Broomfield, CO
    Former Employee - Database Administrator in Broomfield, CO

I worked at Datavail full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

work in onshore/offshore business model which is very nice to have
    Work becomes more or less similar over the period of time

Cons

management should really stop and think what they are doing.
    Its very hard to grow in your career in terms to position and management is so biased to make proper decisions.

Advice to Management

No Bonus to employees but spend ridiculously on management's trips to offshore.
    Spending that money on employees would rather allow people to stay longer

5. "Regional Director"

Former Employee - Regional Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Regional Director in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Datavail full-time (More than a year)

Pros

phenomenal management team...good salaries....fast growing industry

Cons

sometimes support in remote offices away from HQ can be left on an island with very little support

"I have been a contractor with datAvail for more than 2 years and I thoroughly enjoy working with this organization."

Current Employee - Recruiting in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Recruiting in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Company is very progressive. Many excellent benefits and incentives for employees and contractors. HIGHLY skilled technical teams. Accessible and approachable leadership. Everyone at datAvail that I have worked with, from senior management to sales to technical teams to human resources, is fully engaged, professional and accountable in their roles.

Cons

Very difficult to come up with anything that I consider to be negative about working with datAvail, I'd be reaching if I tried.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Ambitious company sure, but it doesn't help the employees so much, mostly only the management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Broomfield, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Broomfield, CO

I worked at Datavail full-time

Pros

1) Work/Life balance (work from home, flexible hours, unlimited vacation) tends to be VERY good (if you are allowed to use them)

2. A nice array of reasonable if not very well priced health benefits packages.

3. The CEO is incredibly intelligent, driven, and has his head on straight in regards to his vision of the business and how to pitch it. He's personable, available, and considers himself an employee of everyone else (reverse pyramid) which many times he's shown by getting into the trenches with problem clients.

Cons

1. The work/life benefits aren't always what they convey. For example: the work from home varies in amount and trust department to department (manager to manager), the flexible time tends to be questioned a lot even if you come in early but opt to leave early to match after you've put in a full day's work, and their supposed unlimited vacation comes with the unwritten caveat that the moment someone wants to complain about you they like to make you feel extraordinarily guilty about having utilized the benefit.

2. Too many VPs. Everyone there seems to be a VP of this or that. There's layer upon layer of Senior Management and very little to no mid-level. Too many Directors too in naming all the salespeople Directors. That's not fooling any potential client that they're talking to someone with authority, especially when it's clear they can't properly sell the services anyway a good chunk of the time and the DBAs and Service Delivery department have to bail them out after the fact.

3. Almost zero level of job mobility. Basically forget getting a promotion. Maybe team lead on the DBAs, but if you're not one of the senior most management's friends, especially from their former company, your odds of getting promoted are better to be swallowed whole by a shark in Chicago than getting a promotion.

4. No recognition for loyalty or hard work. My time was limited there but I came to see employees who were there 5, 7, 9 years and more who haven't seen raises in years, bonuses even rarer, and never an opportunity to get them despite promises made by senior management over and over of impending raises or bonuses or something to compensate for all the hard work.

5. Specifically applicable to the Service Delivery team: No set job. One day it's client management, the next day they told them they were doing accounts receivable debt collection, the next they have to project manage non-client projects, the next something else. That division is the last stop of the company in regards that everything flowing downhill ends up on their plate despite the fact it should be the premier division being the client's primary contact. If you like that sort of thing great, but be prepared to have the job description obliterated the moment you start.

6. Politics, Politics, Politics. For a small company there is WAY too much of it going around with managers secretly gunning for each other, managers that have cost the company money and have no place still having jobs being protected by other managers, and more. Keep your head down, make friends only at your level, and stay out of anything else.

Advice to Management

Continue to GROW the company but be wary of the management choices you make. Let the CEO lead the charge but make sure the sales staff know what they're doing too.

Recognize the potential of the employee pool for internal promotion and more importantly recognition.

Don't allow the benefits politicized. Either they are or they aren't.

"Don't bother giving 2 weeks notice!"

Former Employee - Senior SQL Server Database Administrator in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Senior SQL Server Database Administrator in Denver, CO

I worked at Datavail full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good salary and benefits. You can work from home sometimes. Coworkers are generally good.

Cons

You can get thrown into new situations and jobs with no training or help from management. Absolutely no response from the company after I gave notice. Only clue I had was that all my access was denied the next day. I was still meeting with clients at the time.

Advice to Management

My resignation was handled very unprofessionally. The only official notice I got was from Trinet, our benefits company. That came several days later.

"Consulting Senior SQL Server DBA"

Current Employee - Senior SQL Server Database Administrator in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior SQL Server Database Administrator in Denver, CO

I have been working at Datavail full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can work from home sometimes and they are always working to get new business.

Cons

Don;t get to meet with the rest of the company

Advice to Management

Keepp doing what you're doing. Business seems good.

10. "review"

Current Employee - SQL Server Database Administrator in Bengaluru (India)
    Current Employee - SQL Server Database Administrator in Bengaluru (India)

I have been working at Datavail full-time (More than a year)

Pros

bangalore team s good, things to learn lot, but no growth

Cons

lot of work, no personal life

Advice to Management

need to hire more employee

11. "Good to work here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bengaluru (India)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bengaluru (India)

Pros

you can get good salary here, it will always above the market standards

Cons

No Cons on this company