Destination Maternity Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Destination Maternity CEO Anthony M. Romano
Anthony M. Romano

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work life balance, flexible hours and competitive pay (in 11 reviews)

• Major overhaul in upper management so lots of changes going on (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • some of the hire ups - upper management was not as approachable so when it came to bigger problems it was a very intimidating situation (in 39 reviews)

• No room for advancement, low pay (in 7 reviews)

1. "Merchandiser-Various Dept. Stores"

I worked at Destination Maternity part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy work, good PT job, especially for former SAHMs.

Cons

Low pay, $11/hr, but easy job.

2. "The customers are generally great, upper management lacks respect for their employees"

I have been working at Destination Maternity full-time

Pros

The customers are usually more engaging and nice than most customer bases

Cons

Upper management will take advantage of employees who don't know the labor laws in their area, discriminates against pregnant employees (which is especially heinous considering it is a maternity store), clearly shows lack of respect for all employees by having them take on management tasks not in their job description and then berating them for any goals missed with no appreciation for the extra work they are doing for the company for minimum wage or barely above, virtually all of the employees on the floor are women but most of upper management is men

Advice to Management

Respect your employees, pay them fair wages, if you are having them do tasks not in their job description promote them to the level meant to perform those tasks. This is basic stuff.

3. "Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Bridgeport, CT
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Bridgeport, CT

I worked at Destination Maternity full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great career for someone who is passionate about helping women through every stage of pregnancy and nursing. Must be willing to make the customers feel special or you will not succeed.

Cons

I loved every moment of working with DMAT. I can't think of any Cons besides wishing they had better raises/pay for all team members.

4. "Overall great company"

Pros

I really enjoy working for this company. They have great leadership that allows you to enhance your skills and learn daily.

Cons

Room for growth is limited.

5. "sales associate"

I worked at Destination Maternity part-time

Pros

my manager was really cool

Cons

idk anything it was fun

"Beware of management in Home Office"

I worked at Destination Maternity full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great teams to work with

Cons

Very bad morale throughout the company. Lack of training, overworked, and horrible benefits. There is a lot of favoritism within the office. Senior management, directors and VP's do not value their employees or treat them fairly. No room for advancement. Promotions based on favoritism and popularity not on talent and worth ethic. They are mergering with a French children's company. Unknown future of company.

Advice to Management

Value your employees! You have a lot of talented and hardworking team members.

"Relaxed atmosphere for the most part but..."

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate

I have been working at Destination Maternity part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy clientele, relaxed dress code, flexible schedule

Cons

Low pay, hard to move to an upper management position (SM/ASM/TSL), company sets sales goals way too high, complaints not taken seriously, possibly doing away with .10 quarterly raise

Advice to Management

Relax on the parent's magazine demands! It's killing us who are working in the stores, we are trying to sell it and because we're so desperate to sell it more people are saying no than ever. They don't like feeling pushed. Go back to wanting stores to make comp and plan, because this parents magazine thing is stressing out nearly every employee of your company! Also, get your budget together and put your employees first because some of us rely on making that .10 raise every three months.

"I enjoyed my job and love my team, however I was taken advantage of financially."

Former Employee - Store Manager in Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Phila, PA

I worked at Destination Maternity full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The independence, you are given a ton of flexibility when it comes to decision making.

Cons

I was taken advantage of financially I should have been making more money. Also I think the company is close to going out of business

Advice to Management

Corporate need to pay attention to what the client and employees need or else I fear they will be out of business soon.

"Store Manager"

I worked at Destination Maternity full-time

Pros

Customers are great. No crazy holiday caos any time of year. Comfortable work/life conditions.

Cons

Loyalty program (PM mag) has more weight than actual sales or store operations. No actual benefit from employee discount program. Should compensate with contribution match on 401K. Poor payroll hours. Dress Code expectation is too highend for the kind of salary paid and not benefit to shop from store.

Advice to Management

Leverage your expectation loyalty vs sales. Main focus of DM's is PM in any which way communication comes across. Take off your blinders so may really see how PM results are happening for those that are "successful" you will be surprised.

"Left Much to Be Desired"

I worked at Destination Maternity full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I got to work with some really amazing people who ended up as great friends.

Cons

Last minute changes to designs mean quality is sacrificed over a snap decision. Merchandising makes the bulk of the design decisions and in the end, the product is completely different than where it began. A majority of people are more likely to point fingers than stand up for their decisions when something goes awry. It makes most people in the company tense and there is a terrible work morale. HR team is also insensitive.