Dexcom Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dexcom President and CEO Kevin Sayer
Kevin Sayer

Pros
  • The Company is growing at a fast rate and this opens up many opportunities for advancement (in 13 reviews)

• This company has a great product and is growing fast (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is clueless at times (in 9 reviews)

• Going through typical growing pains of going from a small company to mid-sized/large company (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"R&D"

I have been working at Dexcom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company, growing super fast
    Work with REALLY smart and competent people
    Exciting and interesting work
    Product truly helps people and changes their lives for the better
    Exciting to see the impact we make in peoples lives
    I've been in Med Device for 15 years, and this is the best company I've worked for by far!

Cons

Going through typical growing pains of going from a small company to mid-sized/large company.
    Parking & office space is painful / Telecommuting Flexibility would be appreciated
    Need to take serious look at comp packages to stay competitive as RSU's dwindle.
    Working long hours doesn't always equate to a better employee. Evaluate based on outcomes and work-product.

Advice to Management

Keep communicating Top-Down. Information creates better engagement throughout. Stay focused on our top priorities and long term road map.

Dexcom Response

Feb 10, 2017 – Director Talent Acquisition

Thank you very much for leaving a review as a member of our R&D team. We agree that this is one of the best medical device companies to work for, and that the impact on patients' lives is the driving ... More

2. "Excellent place to work!"

Current Employee - Network and Applications Representative in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Network and Applications Representative in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Dexcom (Less than a year)

Pros

Best call center environment I've been in! Important work with a lot of excellent people in a company that wants you to succeed and not burn you out. Pay and benefits are, in my opinion, excellent for the area, and the Technical Support department has a lot of schedule types available.

Cons

No cons at this time!

Advice to Management

Given the Tech Support department is 24/7, it would be helpful to have more flexibility in terms of the fixed company holidays (which are set up for a standard 9 to 5, Monday through Friday employee).

"Great place to work at as a Software Engineer with some drawbacks"

Former Employee - Engineer II in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer II in San Diego, CA

I worked at Dexcom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Worked as an android engineer straight out of college. Manager is awesome, team members are awesome, pay was decently good, received a good amount of RSUs, and decent benefits. Work was pretty relaxed, and also they have great working spaces (cubicles)

Cons

Some team-members are definitely socially weird, there is a lot of vaporware being worked on at the company (where the project doesn't get released), the release cycles are sometimes measured in years (!), and the software test team and design team doesn't have a clue.

Advice to Management

Let software engineers have more autonomy, and give clear targets about the projects

"Work-life balance is a joke"

Pros

Exciting opportunity with disruptive technology.

Cons

Typical capitalist company who doesn't care much about the individual, so long as they get as much out of you as possible. Management has no checks on them. HR is a joke.

6. "More of a Temporary Position"

I worked at Dexcom full-time

Pros

Dexcom does have the basics in terms of benefits offered but there is no chance of moving upwards. People seem rooted to how the company has always operated with no desire for improvement or change.

Cons

There are a lot of cliques within the company, mainly with people who have been at the company for a long time. Management, particularly within Quality, have been lacking in terms of actual skills and qualifications, relying more on connections to attain their positions.

Advice to Management

Employee retention will always be an issue. Constant turnover rate occurs because there are few recognition in terms of bonuses, promotions, etc. to the good employees.

"Territory Business Manager"

Former Employee - Territory Business Manager
    Former Employee - Territory Business Manager

I worked at Dexcom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Unique Product. They did just get approved by FDA to replace a meter.

Cons

Poor training at HQ, she has no idea what she is doing. Upper management is clueless at times. One product to sell which is very scary, especially if it goes into recall. G5 gets interfered with when using your iPhone with other Bluetooth products. A lot ofinsurnaces wont pay for it becuase its very expensive

Advice to Management

Diversify your product line. Lower your costs

"operator"

I worked at Dexcom full-time

Pros

i like the planing and operator system

Cons

it's was a good company but need to change the lead, after that every thing is going good

"Decent place to start your career"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Dexcom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good for entry level professionals
    Get to work on cutting edge stuff
    Lots of smart people working here
    Great work/life balance
    Good ESPP

Cons

Parking lot is a problem
    No 401k matching
    Salary is not that competitive, RSU's make it slightly better if stock price is high
    No real restaurants on campus (only a food truck)
    Super regulated/corporate environment
    Software process seems more waterfall than agile

10. "Heed the other warnings and STAY AWAY!"

Former Employee - Network and Applications Representative in Mira Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Network and Applications Representative in Mira Mesa, CA

I worked at Dexcom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Paycheck and health insurance ok.

Cons

The most clique-ish place I've ever worked ESPECIALLY in the technical support dept. TS supervisors are clueless and useless aside from coaching you on metrics.
    HR doesn't care about you past recruitment, and bringing up any issues to their attention can bite you in the but, if you aren't flat out ignored. I was actually let go days after talking with HR about accommodations for medical reasons, then they fought against paying unemployment after my termination (which happened 5 days earlier than they reported on the termination letter).
    No advancement opportunities unless you get on really good with your supervisors.
    Superiors know less about the product than you, and there is NO such thing as escalating issues to them. 99% of them do not repsond, or set their Skype to busy if you try to ask a question- when you have a client on the line.
    The QA dept has to be the biggest mess, changing up their standards for support ticket submission daily and said standards greatly differ per qa agent....

Advice to Management

Your TS managers should know the product as well as, if not better than the TS reps. Overhaul the HR team or face legal repercussions once more reporting of the medical and racial discrimination start adding up. Stop ignoring problems, hoping they will just disappear.

"Perspective from Customer Operations -- A Mixed Bag"

I have been working at Dexcom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Disclaimer: Much of my experience at Dexcom is only applicable to customer operations as I've only ever worked in this department. All the other departments—finance, HR, legal, manufacturing, engineering, etc.—have different leadership, cultures, and even occupy different buildings, so my subjective experience is mostly applicable to customer operations only. With that said, here are the pros about working at Dexcom: Great health insurance benefits. Above average pay and paid time off. Usually you're surrounded by amiable colleagues with a lot of upbeat personalities. It's a great feeling knowing you're part of a very worthy cause. Dexcom continues to grow and so job security has never been an issue. I believe the senior management in customer operations really does want to make Dexcom a better place to work.

Cons

No 401k match.

There is very limited opportunity for career growth, but at least there are plenty of opportunities for lateral moves to different teams within customer ops (e.g., the most common one I see are Customer Service Representatives becoming Account Specialists or Reorder Sales Specialists). However, don't expect to move up. While there are openings for supervisory roles that come up once in a while, there's generally very little in the way of moving up in this department. Dexcom prefers to hire external candidates that are way overqualified and have tons of experience rather than hire internally and develop their existing employees. Lots of Patient Sales Specialists are interested in moving to a field sales position, but Dexcom has not hired an inside sales rep for the field in years. I have also witnessed other departments such as regulatory and clinical not hiring candidates from other departments; even though the candidates might have the requisite educational background, they are declined a position because they don't have the experience. I don't know if Dexcom has been burned one too many times with internal hires not panning out, but Dexcom tends to shy away from developing talent from within.

Work/life balance is meh. I suspect most people probably feel the same way. I asked for a permanent shift change and was denied because my supervisor felt that having an earlier shift would change the perception of my internal customers towards me. I guess I can understand the rationale, but I was the most tenured person on my team, and preference for shift changes have historically gone to the people that have worked here the longest, and I really don't like sitting in traffic for an hour or more because my shift ends close to 5 PM. Also, only certain salaried positions have the ability to work from home, but this isn't too surprising.

You will encounter apathetic colleagues, or colleagues with very poor follow-through, or folks that simply don't communicate very well. This is pretty much true of every company, although I was surprised at the number of salaried/career type people this applied to.

Customer ops is an open concept floor plan and essentially a giant cube farm, so if you like that environment, great. For the rest of us... not so great.

Advice to Management

Work on facilitating better communication between departments. In my personal experience, there is a general lack of communication between patient billing, contracting, managed care, and the RAEs, and these teams all are extremely important in the insurance reimbursement process.

I would also ask that management try to provide a better process for employees to review their supervisors. I felt the 360 degree feedback process, which was administered by a third party company, was lacking (mostly because there were only multiple choice questions and there was no way to actually write anything about the person). I feel upper management would be better off soliciting feedback from employees on their supervisors directly via email, and letting the employees know their names would not be shared with their supervisor. The anonymity part is important, because even though I believe it may be illegal for a supervisor to retaliate against an employee for providing negative feedback, a supervisor may subconsciously form a negative opinion of someone for certain feedback given, and this could later manifest itself in a variety of ways (e.g., a supervisor might decline a PTO request on the grounds that it's due to "business need" even though this reason might be complete BS and there is ample staffing for the day requested). I'm sure doing the reviews internally would also save the company a lot of time and money.

Shift focus on trying to develop talent from within, and try to implement better ways to advance the careers of your top performing employees.