Dexcom Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dexcom President and CEO Kevin Sayer
Kevin Sayer

Pros
  • Because the company is growing so quickly, there is always work to be done and a high amount of pressure coming from management to excel (in 13 reviews)

• This company has a great product and is growing fast (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Going through typical growing pains of going from a small company to mid-sized/large company (in 8 reviews)

• Supervisors and upper management are a constant source of frustration (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"R&D"

I have been working at Dexcom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company, growing super fast
    Work with REALLY smart and competent people
    Exciting and interesting work
    Product truly helps people and changes their lives for the better
    Exciting to see the impact we make in peoples lives
    I've been in Med Device for 15 years, and this is the best company I've worked for by far!

Cons

Going through typical growing pains of going from a small company to mid-sized/large company.
    Parking & office space is painful / Telecommuting Flexibility would be appreciated
    Need to take serious look at comp packages to stay competitive as RSU's dwindle.
    Working long hours doesn't always equate to a better employee. Evaluate based on outcomes and work-product.

Advice to Management

Keep communicating Top-Down. Information creates better engagement throughout. Stay focused on our top priorities and long term road map.

Dexcom Response

Feb 10, 2017 – Director Talent Acquisition

Thank you very much for leaving a review as a member of our R&D team. We agree that this is one of the best medical device companies to work for, and that the impact on patients' lives is the driving ... More

2. "Decent place to start your career"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Dexcom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good for entry level professionals
    Get to work on cutting edge stuff
    Lots of smart people working here
    Great work/life balance
    Good ESPP

Cons

Parking lot is a problem
    No 401k matching
    Salary is not that competitive, RSU's make it slightly better if stock price is high
    No real restaurants on campus (only a food truck)
    Super regulated/corporate environment
    Software process seems more waterfall than agile

3. "Great Company with Great People!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Dexcom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The employees of Dexcom are very passionate about the product and saving lives of patients with Type 1 diabetes. The culture at Dexcom is wonderful and everyone works hard.

Cons

Dexcom is a fast pace environment and we grown as a company very fast in the last few years. There were some growing pains but that has greatly improved in the last year.

Advice to Management

Continue to communicate to employees and keep your passion up for what we are doing as it radiates down.

"Perspective from Customer Operations -- A Mixed Bag"

I have been working at Dexcom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Disclaimer: Much of my experience at Dexcom is only applicable to customer operations as I've only ever worked in this department. All the other departments—finance, HR, legal, manufacturing, engineering, etc.—have different leadership, cultures, and even occupy different buildings, so my subjective experience is mostly applicable to customer operations only. With that said, here are the pros about working at Dexcom: Great health insurance benefits. Above average pay and paid time off. Usually you're surrounded by amiable colleagues with a lot of upbeat personalities. It's a great feeling knowing you're part of a very worthy cause. Dexcom continues to grow and so job security has never been an issue. I believe the senior management in customer operations really does want to make Dexcom a better place to work.

Cons

No 401k match.

There is very limited opportunity for career growth, but at least there are plenty of opportunities for lateral moves to different teams within customer ops (e.g., the most common one I see are Customer Service Representatives becoming Account Specialists or Reorder Sales Specialists). However, don't expect to move up. While there are openings for supervisory roles that come up once in a while, there's generally very little in the way of moving up in this department. Dexcom prefers to hire external candidates that are way overqualified and have tons of experience rather than hire internally and develop their existing employees. Lots of Patient Sales Specialists are interested in moving to a field sales position, but Dexcom has not hired an inside sales rep for the field in years. I have also witnessed other departments such as regulatory and clinical not hiring candidates from other departments; even though the candidates might have the requisite educational background, they are declined a position because they don't have the experience. I don't know if Dexcom has been burned one too many times with internal hires not panning out, but Dexcom tends to shy away from developing talent from within.

Work/life balance is meh. I suspect most people probably feel the same way. I asked for a permanent shift change and was denied because my supervisor felt that having an earlier shift would change the perception of my internal customers towards me. I guess I can understand the rationale, but I was the most tenured person on my team, and preference for shift changes have historically gone to the people that have worked here the longest, and I really don't like sitting in traffic for an hour or more because my shift ends close to 5 PM. Also, only certain salaried positions have the ability to work from home, but this isn't too surprising.

You will encounter apathetic colleagues, or colleagues with very poor follow-through, or folks that simply don't communicate very well. This is pretty much true of every company, although I was surprised at the number of salaried/career type people this applied to.

Customer ops is an open concept floor plan and essentially a giant cube farm, so if you like that environment, great. For the rest of us... not so great.

Advice to Management

Work on facilitating better communication between departments. In my personal experience, there is a general lack of communication between patient billing, contracting, managed care, and the RAEs, and these teams all are extremely important in the insurance reimbursement process.

I would also ask that management try to provide a better process for employees to review their supervisors. I felt the 360 degree feedback process, which was administered by a third party company, was lacking (mostly because there were only multiple choice questions and there was no way to actually write anything about the person). I feel upper management would be better off soliciting feedback from employees on their supervisors directly via email, and letting the employees know their names would not be shared with their supervisor. The anonymity part is important, because even though I believe it may be illegal for a supervisor to retaliate against an employee for providing negative feedback, a supervisor may subconsciously form a negative opinion of someone for certain feedback given, and this could later manifest itself in a variety of ways (e.g., a supervisor might decline a PTO request on the grounds that it's due to "business need" even though this reason might be complete BS and there is ample staffing for the day requested). I'm sure doing the reviews internally would also save the company a lot of time and money.

Shift focus on trying to develop talent from within, and try to implement better ways to advance the careers of your top performing employees.

"Good growth and excitement in culture"

I have been working at Dexcom full-time

Pros

Rapid growth with exciting industry

Cons

Parking lot and hours working

"QA Complaints"

I have been working at Dexcom full-time

Pros

Relaxed environment, you're treated like an adult

Cons

Things change fast, important stuff gets lost in the shuffle

8. "Great Company"

Pros

Nice people, great company, nice city

Cons

Lack of a professional organization between different departments.

"Inside Sales"

I have been working at Dexcom full-time

Pros

Great Employees to work with you will find some great friends at this company

Cons

Direct supervisors are worried more about their career than helping their team succeed or grow. Goals are set too high making it difficult to make any commission.Lots of turnover in the Sales Department.

Advice to Management

Hire supervisors that have experience. Pay attention to what employees need such at attainable goals.

"You'll work hard, but there's a payoff in the end...."

Current Employee - Marketing in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Dexcom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People are great, very hard working and dedicated. I rarely hear "no" or that's not my job. People understand the mission and move with a pace to get things done, but still with quality. Great atmosphere and nice mix of new employees + seasoned folks. This is one of those companies where the product you're working on really makes a difference in diabetic patient's lives. You feel it everyday that what you're doing matters.

Cons

Well, it's very fast-paced and ever changing as our business is growing so rapidly as CGM adoption climbs. You have to be willing to put in the time and effort, but you will be rewarded in many ways. If you don't like change and you want to do the same thing everyday, it's not a good fit for you. This job/company will challenge you every day, but you'll learn so much. I know I have in my 8 months.

Advice to Management

Keep the communication open as you've been doing. Keep providing updates to the strategy and the product roadmap as that's invaluable to the employees to understand and align. Keep listening to your employees as they have good ideas and are the future of the company. Keep investing in the business and remain market leaders. Don't let Wall Street expectations drive wrong decisions. Dexcom has been successful as the company has invested in people and technology and listens to our patients and physicians.

"Program Manager"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Miami, FL

I have been working at Dexcom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company makes an amazing product that truly helps patients live a better life.
    People here are very engaged in designing and producing a very high quality product.
    Salaries and benefits are excellent.
    Mamgement tries to be accountable and responsive to employees

Cons

The company is growing very fast, and there is some churn in the organization, and definitely some growing pains.
    Management is not always up to the task of handling the results of the growth in terms of staff and finances.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to long term objectives and stick to best practices. Don't try to take shortcuts - they never work.