Duo Security Reviews

4.5
Duo Security CEO Dug Song
Dug Song
Pros
Cons
  • "Growing pains scaling from startup mode to to a medium-sized company and beyond can be intense for those not ready to put in the hard work(in 12 reviews)

• "Just like any rapid growing company, there are a few growing pains(in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"99% sure this will be the best place I ever work"

Current Employee - SMB Account Executive in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Duo Security full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Big company security/small company perks (close with coworkers, no dress code, flexible hours) - A product and mission people care about and have pride in - A focus on learning and growth - Don't get micromanaged - Career path opportunities

Cons

- Life has been so good here, people's expectations is a little out of whack with what to expect from a workplace (high expectations) - Like any tech product company, innovation needs to stay high or the whole thing becomes irrelevant

Duo Security2019-07-12

July 15, 2019HR Consultant

Thank you sharing your feedback. Duo is a special place and it’s clear you’re experiencing that!

2. "Really fantastic company"

Current Employee - Security Engineer in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Duo Security full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work is very interesting and engineering culture is strong. People are amazingly talented and kind. Management understands long-term thinking and is transparent.

Cons

Open office plan tends to be distracting. Integrating with a larger organization (Cisco) still leaves some to be desired. More "internal marketing" is now required.

Duo Security2020-05-02

May 18, 2020Employer Brand

Thank you for your feedback, it’s appreciated. One of our very favorite parts of Duo is also the amazing people!

3. "Great company. Highly recommended"

Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Duo Security full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing team environment Kinder than necessary model

Cons

Process keeps changing due to cisco acquisition

Duo Security2020-04-13

May 18, 2020Employer Brand

Thank you for leaving your feedback!

4. "Best place to work around the town"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Duo Security full-time for less than a year

Pros

Kinder than necessary Very good culture Good potential promotion

Cons

I would lie if I say there are any cons

Duo Security2020-04-06

May 18, 2020Employer Brand

Thank you for leaving the nice feedback! Being kinder than necessary is in our DNA.

5. "Best company I have ever worked for"

Product

I have been working at Duo Security

Pros

- Kind, genuine coworkers - Competent and growth-focused leadership - Strong and “user centric” company culture - Incredibly safe environment for new ideas - Managers care about your wellbeing, happiness, and sense of fulfillment at work. - Competitive pay - Education budget - Great benefits

Cons

- None that I can think of (maybe people being too nice?)

Duo Security2020-03-25

May 18, 2020Employer Brand

Thank you for your kind comments!

"Once great but still good"

Current Employee - N/A in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Duo Security full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Duo changed my career. It'll always be a point of pride for me. There are still a lot of positives if you're on the engineering side of the business. For the sake of Ann Arbor, and all the people that work on building the product, I hope that stays true. Unfortunately, Cisco really doesn't know what to do with sales, marketing and other go-to-market functions and it shows. Work/life balance continues to be very good. It's definitely a place where you can have the freedom to pursue hobbies, raise a family, etc. I've never worked at a company with such a positive view on work/life balance. This alone is enough reason for a lot of people to stay, or join, the company.

Cons

Almost every conversation with co-workers starts with "how much longer will you stay?" This has been one of the most jarring and sudden changes in the post-acquisition phase. If you're interested in a job at Duo, make sure to get the biggest compensation package you can. Once you're in, it's virtually impossible to get a raise of any significance. Cisco is a company that is desperately fighting for single digit revenue growth and is very focused on cost reduction. There are high-performing people at Duo that haven't gotten a raise in 2+ years. Duo had a great exit for a small number of people and investors. Unfortunately, there's no real sense of excitement for this next phase and not a lot to look forward to. Cisco is pushing down all the worst parts of a big company. The tools and software are terrible. The processes are painfully slow. Promotions and raises are difficult to come by. Many of us spend a good amount of our time wading through bureaucracy, jumping through hoops, and sitting in meeting after meeting just to accomplish the most simple of things.

Duo Security2020-03-15

May 18, 2020Employer Brand

Thank you for leaving your feedback, please know it's important to us. We love hearing that Duo changed your career and that you're proud of that. Thank you for sticking with us during times of change. As we grow with Cisco, a company 100x our size, there will surely be some bureaucracy. We're doing everything we reasonably can to keep that from getting in your way. We strive to provide an environment where everyone feels they’re valued, treated fairly and respected. Thank you again for your comments!

7. "Good place to work"

4.0
    Current Employee - Community Service Officer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Duo Security full-time for less than a year

Pros

Still holding onto some of the small company culture while benefiting from large company clout

Cons

Some loss of control of the sales process to parent- Cisco

Duo Security2020-02-05

February 17, 2020Employer Brand

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We're happy to hear you're enjoying your time at Duo!

"A company that truly lives out their values & great product!"

Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say in Austin, TX

I have been working at Duo Security full-time for more than a year

Pros

- The people are literally the nicest and smartest people I've ever worked with, across all departments. For example we start all meetings with appreciations! - Flexible schedules built on trust and empowerment. Duo has a healthy work life balance culture. It's not a problem when it's your turn to drop your kids off at school, pick up your dog at doggy daycare or visit the doctor. Everyone keeps their calendars up to date, teams share PTO schedules, their Slack statuses are updated and there's no questions. There's also a lot of remote employees. - Theres no interdepartmental competitiveness like I've experienced at other companies. When you hire amazing, kind, supportive and inclusive people, you'll get impactful results. - Duo's (not Cisco's) recruiting team is world class. - An all around authentic workplace filled with a diverse group of genuinely awesome people.

Cons

- Holiday parties could be a little more exciting and curated. The intention is good but I think more people would come if they switched up a notch or two. - The acquisition and inevitable changes have been hard for many employees.

Duo Security2019-12-12

December 16, 2019Employer Brand

We love seeing reviews like this and we couldn't agree with you more! The people are truly what makes Duo a special place to work. Thank you for leaving such a thoughtful review!

"Fueled by Amazing People"

Current Employee - Senior Customer Solutions Engineer in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Duo Security full-time for more than a year

Pros

I love that feedback is a welcomed and encouraged trait of all employees. Giving and receiving feedback is how we grow closer and stay intune with each other. Duo takes really good care of their employees.

Cons

It's pretty darn cold in Ann Arbor!! :)

Duo Security2019-11-23

December 12, 2019Employer Brand

Thank you for sharing! We appreciate hearing about your personal experience and are glad to learn that you continue to feel encouraged to give and share feedback. It is cold in Ann Arbor but spring is just around the corner!

10. "Good people to work for"

4.0
    Current Employee - UE Design in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Duo Security full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great culture, great working environment

Cons

Sometimes I feel like a small cog in a big machine

Duo Security2019-11-26

December 12, 2019Employer Brand

Thank you for your review. We're happy to hear you’re enjoying your experience at Duo!

Found 112 reviews