Duo Security Reviews | Glassdoor

4.5
Duo Security CEO Dug Song
Dug Song

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work-life balance (Open PTO policy) (in 14 reviews)

• Everyone is willing to help each other out (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Because we're growing so fast, having communication breakdowns is a near certainty (in 5 reviews)

• Duo is growing quickly so there are some growing pains that come with it (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best job I've ever had"

Pros

Best job I've ever had. Incredible opportunity to build products that customers love, and work on an important mission to protect organizations from data breach. The company is growing quickly. For those who see this as an opportunity to have a big impact on the company, it's a wonderful place to roll up your sleeves and dive in. Really good work/life balance. Incredibly smart, kind people. I'm eager to come into work every day. I'm excited by the nature of my work, and my collaborators. I'm learning a lot, have autonomy, support from my manager, and room to grow.

Cons

If you're someone who thrives in an environment that doesn't change very much, or has a lot of structure and processes already in place, you might not thrive here. Duo is growing and changing quickly. It makes it fun and exciting, but only if you're interested in chipping in on the project of building the company itself.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Continue investing in individuals' careers, honoring work/life balance, and working hard to create an amazing place to come to work every day. Also, thanks. :)

Dec 5, 2016 – vp people

Learning, support from your leader. and the ability to grow your career with us are core to who we are at Duo. While we still have a lot of work to do to continue to invest in these areas as we... More

2. "Best company I have ever worked for"

I have been working at Duo Security full-time

Pros

Duo truly believes in its employees and gives us the necessary tools to be successful every day. It has a customer first mentality and the product just works. It's that simple. The culture is not a joke here. BEST IN CLASS! So excited I get to come to work everyday.

Cons

No cons discovered so far!

Advice to Management

Continue to support your employees and thanks for all you do!

3. "AMAZING!"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Duo Security full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It has by far been the best company to work for. The CEO is so down to earth. He takes the time to talk to every individual in the organization. Everyone is so happy and friendly. The pay and benefits are top notch.

Cons

None. Seriously none. I can't say it enough. Everything is great about the organization!

Advice to Management

As we grow, keep the culture strong!

Sep 29, 2017 – CIO

Thank you! As we continue to grow and scale it will be important that we all work together to continue a great company culture. So please, keep the feedback coming and lets continue to build great... More

"Duo is a great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Duo Security full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, Culture, Vision, Transparency, Pay, Talent, and most importantly the constant desire to improve everything.
    I really enjoy working at Duo and would recommend it to a friend. Duo takes care of employees and helps them develop as professionals. The only place I've ever worked where the majority of employees are qualified for their jobs.

Cons

It's hard to say anything bad about Duo. As with any growing tech company there is constant process change, but sometimes the change feels like it's for the sake of change and not for strategic improvement in processes. My day to day process has changed on a biweekly basis, it's hard to know what is expected at times. Then when you get it, it changes again. If you don't embrace change, you may struggle here.

Advice to Management

Upper management is wonderful, even middle managers are easy to work with and personable.
    My only cause for concern is that there are people in the sales org that are ready for promotions and Duo is bringing on people from outside the organization with less relevant experience. The internal promotion process could be handled a lot better. Sometimes it feels like sales managers are holding high performers back on promotions because they don't want to lose them on their team. When it's all said and done, Duo could inevitably lose rockstars to other organizations willing to hire them in at the position they ultimately belong in.

5. "Really enjoyed working there!"

I worked at Duo Security full-time

Pros

Amazing culture, great people to work with and a fantastic product

Cons

Minor growing pains as they continue to grow rapidly.

Advice to Management

Go back to the original culture and vibe that Duo had prior to mid 2016

Oct 18, 2017 – Vice President of Customer Success

Thank you for sharing your review on Duo. I certainly agree that we have a great product and culture. As we grow it's key that we continue to hire individuals that add to our culture but behave... More

6. "The hidden truth"

I worked at Duo Security full-time

Pros

Work life balance is great.
    Product is high demand.

Cons

The fake culture is oppressive.This company presents itself as an accepting and inviting work place. The reality is, that's true unless you are not a clone of every employee already there. If you're not mentally determined to be a stereotypical millennial, good luck with this job.

There are ways to exploit the "culture" to get people fired, and the management team all know this.

There is at least one Director that will start a conversation with you, and literally walk away from you in the middle of your response. You'll notice time and again the slogan is "If you're not a nice person, we don't want you working here". Having a Director that disrespects you at a basic human level is in clear contrast to that, and it speaks volumes for the way this company operates behind the scenes.

Sep 28, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for sharing, although I’m deeply disappointed to hear this. I’d appreciate the opportunity to have a frank discussion with you about your experience here, as we have been deeply committed... More

"This Place Is Special"

Current Employee - Sales in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Duo Security full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Bottom line is that Duo is a place you can be proud to work at top to bottom. Every department is hyper customer centric, and it makes a huge difference in the way we progress and make decisions. While this may seem like something basic, having every department with this mindset makes working interdepartmentally super frictionless.

Specifically from a sales perspective our approach is refreshing. There's a high focus on selling the right way, and not overselling the product. There's also a high focus on managing the early and middle stages of pipeline to progress opportunities appropriately. Revenue almost becomes an ancillary benefit to running your deals the right way.

Lastly, the entire organization stands up for the right things starting all the way at the top with our CEO. As a business we are very inclusive, and make efforts to make security and technology more inclusive as well. Doing things from sponsoring the Women in Security award to sponsoring the Queercon party at Defcon make the organization one you can be proud to work at.

Cons

Not a lot of downside, but one thing I like to bring up is that we're certainly not perfect when it comes to communication. Because we're growing so fast, having communication breakdowns is a near certainty. These are nearly never intentional, and as mentioned in my "pros", because different departments have similar core goals, there's typically not many ruffled feathers when this occurs.

Advice to Management

Main advice to management is to keep the bar for hiring high. I think one of the main reasons we've been able to keep our culture strong for so long is that we're conscious about the everyone we bring in.

Aug 2, 2017 – CEO

As Bill Walsh, former 49ers coach used to say - the score takes care of itself. :-) I could not be prouder of the honesty and integrity of our sales team, and our relentless focus on the success of... More

"Amazing Culture and Leadership"

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Duo Security full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Open and transparent organization that fosters a strong culture with values like 'Be kinder than necessary' and 'Assume positive intent.' Among the nicest people I have ever worked with. It's great to sell a product that customers love and one that puts the user experience at the top of the agenda.

Cons

Fast moving company so expect things to change often.

Advice to Management

Keep the culture and values at the forefront as you grow.

Jul 28, 2017 – Co-Founder and CTO

Appreciate the kind words! Change is a constant at Duo, for sure. Reinforcing the culture/values that has made us successful is critical, yet we're always looking for cultural adds (not "fits") to... More

9. "Interview and on boarding"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Duo Security full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

From the interview process through the new hire orientation and bootcamp, Duo has been nothing short of amazing. Duo has figured out how to hire top end professionals while maintaining the culture that sets his company and product(s) apart. I feel excited to be part of Duo as I have never seen any other company like it.

Cons

As I am still within my first couple months I have not found any cons. Every employee I have spoken to (new hires to the most senior veterans) are all happy and have shown no signs of "cons".

Advice to Management

I'm still new so there is nothing I can offer at this time.

Jul 31, 2017 – Vice President of Customer Success

Thanks for the positive feedback! I am glad to hear that we are living up to your expectations. Please continue to provide feedback via Glassdoor, to your manager, and through our internal Duo Pulse... More

"Great company, would highly recommend!"

Current Employee - Sales in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Austin, TX

I have been working at Duo Security full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Duo only the hires the best of the best and upon getting hired, they offer a superb amount of training and support. Direct management all the way up to the c suite, are top notch. Everyone is willing to help each other out. Lots of growth in the company which means a lot of opportunities if you do well.

Cons

Just like any rapid growing company, there are a few growing pains. Also, if you're in sales and don't like to travel this isn't for you.

Advice to Management

Keep putting your employees first and continue to offer career development opportunities for those that are doing a great job.

Jul 28, 2017 – Co-Founder and CTO

Appreciate the positive feedback! Growth creates opportunity...and Austin is growing especially quickly, so hang in there while we get the new office space online. :-)