Duo Security Reviews | Glassdoor

4.6
Duo Security CEO Dug Song
Dug Song

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work-life balance (Open PTO policy) (in 16 reviews)

• Everyone is willing to help each other out (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Duo is growing quickly so there are some growing pains that come with it (in 10 reviews)

• They will very likely continue to grow, but will do so on the backs of some very good people who deserve better (in 5 reviews)

1. "Best place to work. PERIOD"

Current Employee - Sales in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Austin, TX

I have been working at Duo Security full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone within the organization is willing to lend a hand to help you succeed. You are challenged to be your best self and feel like a contributor to the success of the company. The people are ethical, intelligent, and caring. Can't see myself anywhere else.

Cons

No cons at this time!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

2. "Amazing product, wonderful coworkers"

Former Employee - Product Design Intern in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Product Design Intern in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Duo Security full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful people, Welcoming environment, Amazing product

Cons

Michigan winter is too cold

3. "Fantastic organization to work for!"

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Duo Security full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The most inclusive and inviting organization I have ever had the opportunity to be a part of. The level of intelligence is high without the annoying pompous attitudes that would typically come along with it. I absolutely enjoy every person I work with on a daily basis which has never happened for any company for me. I cannot praise the people aspect enough.

Cons

The work/life balance is a bit tough to deal with at times. Most calls are made to look like red alerts when the prospect is relaxed and just looking to validate the Duo solution in their own environment. The idea that everything is on fire until we discover that it isn't is a bit ridiculous. Compensation

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on keeping awesome talent! The talent that Duo holds is the reason Duo is the first unicorn to come out of Michigan.

4. "Most Loved Company in Security, by customers, and me!"

I have been working at Duo Security full-time

Pros

The company culture and people here are some of the smartest, nicest people you will ever meet. Not a day goes by that I don't learn something new from a different person.

The vision of our senior leadership and founders is clearly communicated, and they remain approachable and are just generally great people.

Cons

Growing pains scaling from startup mode to to a medium-sized company and beyond can be intense for those not ready to put in the hard work.

Advice to Management

Never dilute the culture by hiring the wrong people!

5. "Still new, but best job I have ever had, by far."

I have been working at Duo Security full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have never felt more valued, respected, and taken care of in a workplace.

Cons

Just growing pains, not mad, we can work through it.

Advice to Management

Trust the people you hire. The recruiting process is rigorous enough that employees shouldn't need to be micromanaged. We are all in this together, and the average Duo employee is committed to making the org better.

"Best job I've ever had"

I have been working at Duo Security full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am continually surprised by how great this company is to work for. As an employee, I feel incredibly valued, and I have yet to work with someone I disliked. The flexibility, work/life balance, compensation, and general attitude around the company are absolutely top notch.

I cannot say enough good things about this job, and I hope to stay here for a very long time, and to show my appreciation by giving them my best work possible.

Cons

It's a silly one, but the only thing I can think of is that the fast paced environment means that I don't get quite the personal attention from people as I might otherwise like; meetings get interrupted by slack/email or whatnot. If you aren't comfortable with rapid changes of topic and attention, this might be a tad annoying at times - but it's quite minor in the grand scheme of things.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. You can't make everyone happy all the time - but it seems the overwhelming majority of employees here love the job, the product, and the company. Don't sweat the few dissenters, and continue showing the staff how valuable they are to the success of the company.

"Great Culture & Leadership + Killer Products"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Duo Security full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture was one of the main drivers pulling me to Duo. Former colleagues working here kept telling me it was the best company they ever worked for, and throughout the interview process I was impressed with how everyone spoke the same way about the culture and guiding principles. And it's not just talk, from the founders on down I've experienced the teams living the guiding principles.

Aside from the culture, the products are great. Extremely easy to use and implement as well as demo. I'm proud to work for a great company with super smart people.

Cons

I'd advise anyone coming to Duo to come in "eyes wide open" so to speak. While the culture and people are great, after the interview process I was envisioning this utopian environment with everyone singing kumbaya and holding hands. While it is great, it's not without the usual conflict/difficulty at times, having to chase folks down for things, etc.

Advice to Management

Keep up the transparency with regular DLTs, emails from Dug, and the great expanding benefits for 2018.

Dec 12, 2017 – Co-Founder and CTO

Appreciate the kind words! I'm happy to hear that your pre-hiring experience and expectations matched up with post-hiring (maybe minus the kumbaya ;-). Keep the feedback coming!

"Duo is the real deal!!"

Current Employee - Manager in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Manager in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Duo Security full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The're all about collaboration: everyone I've met is open to answering questions and giving context--so critical when you're a new employee and trying to wayfind.

They value domain knowledge. People accept and trust that you know stuff. I'm blown away by the ability for folks to hear what you have to say, clarify and integrate your contributions.

Proud to be an outlier. Duo is thoughtfully and intentionally different than other companies in the tech and security industry. This is a really good thing and they embrace it with great humility.

Striving for better. As Duo evolves, it can be hard to hold on when things are moving so fast. What helps us is a commitment to our core values.

Desire to grow diversity & inclusion. They just hired their first manager for d&i. I am stunned by the openness and willingness to change practice & behavior so that Duo is a great place for its team and a model for the industry.

Cons

Honestly I have none. I spent the first three months waiting for the shoe to drop or secret awful to emerge. It hasn't. It just gets better and better. By no means are we perfect, and I'm relieved that there are things to improve...What I think sets us apart is the desire to learn from our mistakes and get better.

Advice to Management

Invest in Duo managers in the middle as we scale. These folks will continue to bake the best Duo culture cake if they are supported, given coaching and grow their management skills. We know that managers make or break an employee experience so putting energies into developing phenomenal managers will be critical in 2018.

Dec 7, 2017 – CIO

Thank you - glad to hear your first year at Duo is going well! Intentionally designing our organization, which includes hiring not just for cultural fit but for cultural contribution, is something... More

"Sales"

I have been working at Duo Security full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* The product does what we say it will do. Selling Duo means I can be honest with my customers and not compromise my integrity. It's also a product has a real impact on our customers.

* The company has done a great job of maintaining the core of it's culture and values.

* Our headquarters being in Michigan makes a huge difference. We don't have the fluff and pompous attitude of the Bay Area where everyone just wants to get another year of a different startup on their resume. We get work done and work collaboratively to build the company into something that will last. Not something just good enough to get acquired.

Cons

* The benefits could be a lot better but they continue to improve as we grow.

* There's some leadership that could improve. There's been resignations as a result of grievances with management. If the company acted quicker to improve or handle certain management, we would retain and also hire more. This is an issue with all companies though and also the vast majority of those in Duo management are great.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. Work on the benefits.

Dec 12, 2017 – SVP WW Sales and BD

Thank you for your note and your comments on high integrity selling and building an enduring culture / company. We revisit our comp every 6 months and our benefits every 12 months, so we're always... More

"Never seen a company like this before"

I have been working at Duo Security full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Best culture of any IT company out there
    - Very talented leadership staff
    - People truly care about each other and that starts from the top with Dug (CEO)
    - Incredible growth and products that customers actually love (they use the word “love” - it’s so strange)
    - Unlimited career and personal potential

Cons

Honestly none. Compared to other security companies - less than none.

Advice to Management

Keep building this beast!!

Nov 27, 2017 – Vice President of Customer Success

Thanks for sharing your experience working at Duo! A strong culture, amazing people, and a great product are the keys to our success. We are all on this journey together - thank you for all you do to... More