Duo Security Reviews

Updated Apr 30, 2021

4.6
Duo Security VP/GM Ash Devata
Ash Devata
Pros
  • "Good work-life balance (people don't hang out on Slack late at night)(in 22 reviews)

• "Everyone I've worked with so far has been kinder than necessary(in 11 reviews)

• Cons
  • "It wasn’t bad but you felt like you lost a tiny little bit of what made Duo,(in 39 reviews)

• "Growing pains scaling from startup mode to to a medium-sized company and beyond can be intense for those not ready to put in the hard work(in 12 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year
      Featured Review

You will catch yourself comparing other cultures to Duo and Duo will always win

Jul 23, 2020 - Account Executive in Ann Arbor, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

THE PEOPLE. At Duo, we eat, sleep and breathe being “kinder than necessary”. Every single day you are surrounded by individuals who want to do the right thing both personally & professionally. It’s not often you come across people asking, “how do we all win” or “how can we help" I would highly recommend Duo to anyone if you can have the mindset of “today, I am going to be kinder than necessary no matter what is thrown at me”. Surround yourself with people like this & your life will change for the better both inside & outside the workplace.

Cons

there are no downsides to working at Duo

6 people found this review helpful

Employer Brand

Wow, thank you for leaving such a kind and honest review! You're right, the people at Duo truly make this place special. We're so glad you continue to enjoy your time at Duo and thank you again for sharing!

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Best People and Culture...Period

Apr 3, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Great Leadership - Amazing People and Culture - Really good growth opportunities

Cons

I can't think of anything to add here.

3. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good work life balance, ok pay

Apr 22, 2021 - Information Security Manager in Ann Arbor, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent work life balance. Culture of understanding and encouragement for people to not be workaholics, for taking time off, for not getting burned out etc. There were regular top down decisions from the CEO to randomly add new company-wide holidays. Layoffs are never fun but when they happened across Cisco due to covid, a lot of effort was put into providing employees options. e.g. long-tenure employees were offered buyouts, almost all employees were offered the option to switch to 4 day work week (for 80% pay with full benefits)

Cons

Pay was ok but not amazing, especially for security people. Promo and raise process was a black box (even for managers sometimes depending on where you were in the chain). Company is slow to align resources to stated objectives. For example, there's lots of listed objectives to double down on security and recurring revenue streams (e.g. saas like Duo). Despite this, security saas employees may not receive a full bonus if sales targets were missed. Since Cisco's current sales are overwhelmingly from their traditional business of switches, routers, etc., even if the newer segments of Cisco knock it out of the park it's more than possible they won't be rewarded.

3 people found this review helpful
    4. 5.0

Fantastic place to work

Feb 25, 2021 - Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

• Perfect work/life balance. There's no pressure to work long hours. • Very friendly. "Kinder than necessary" is instilled in the culture. • Office has a good vibe. A little cramped, but that seems to add to the camaraderie.

Cons

• "Kinder than necessary" can go a little far sometimes. It can inadvertently stifle honest conversation. That said, it's better to be too kind than not enough. • Tech stack is outdated. Duo is making a concerted effort, but it has a ways to go. Still a VM architecture. Some services have been containerized, but they aren't container native. • Not diverse. Though that's an industry-wide problem. The culture is inclusive, so I'm not sure why diversity isn't higher.

2 people found this review helpful

Employer Brand

Thank you for your honest feedback! Being "Kinder Than Necessary" is a value that Duo employees truly live out and we appreciate that you recognize that. Duo and Cisco are committed to building a diverse, inclusive and equitable future for all current and future employees. We are making progress by taking action. Thank you again for sharing!

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to start a career and great culture

Mar 23, 2021 - Partner Manager in Ann Arbor, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people, great pay, great culture

Cons

Cisco makes things overcomplicated and there's been a lot of turnover since Duo was acquired

Employer Brand

Thank you for your review. We agree that Duo is a great place to start a career and we're happy you're enjoying the people and culture. It's part of what makes Duo so special. Thanks again!

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to work

Mar 23, 2021 - Software Architect in Ann Arbor, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

A caring company culture and challenging problems to tackle

Cons

Before COVID, I would have said more work-from-home options, but that has changed.

Employer Brand

Thank you for sharing your feedback!

7. 5.0

Awesome place

Mar 3, 2021 - Technical Solutions Specialist in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Amazing team - Nice culture - A lot of the Cisco Perks

Cons

- Sometimes you can feel the "big" company bureaucracy

2 people found this review helpful

Employer Brand

Great feedback and thank you for sharing!

8. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Amazing Security Company!

Jan 25, 2021 - Site Reliability Engineer II
      Business Outlook

Pros

My experience at Duo was one that I won't forget. The problems were interesting, the people were the kindest, the programs added to the employee experience (BugSmashes, Kickoffs, picnics Hack Days, Tech Summits, structured intern mentorship...) I made good friends while I was there. Overall, a really rad place to work. I'm proud to say I worked at Duo.

Cons

When I was there, my team went through some disruptive organizational changes, partly due to Cisco's acquisition of Duo, partly due to life changes on the team. On-call was also pretty stressful - it was the main catalyst to cause one teammate to leave.

Employer Brand

Thank you for taking the time to provide such thorough feedback. We're happy to hear you're proud to say you worked at Duo! We want all our past, current and future employees to feel that same sense of pride. We agree that Duo is a really rad place to work, with incredibly kind and talented people. Thank you again for sharing!

9. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great Culture

Feb 26, 2021 - Senior Recruiter in Detroit, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

A culture and values everyone wants.

Cons

Not specific to Duo, more the acquisition via Cisco.

Thank you for sharing!

10. 4.0

It's been good!

Aug 27, 2020 - Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Things I've enjoyed so far. 1. Overall, I think the leadership and comms folks do a great job sharing information. The all-hands meetings, and weekly anonymous Q&A forums are very insightful and transparent. 2. The team in general has been great too. Working across teams, and pairing on things is very common and encouraged. Everyone I've worked with so far has been kinder than necessary. Duo does a good job at hiring team players. There are really smart folks that work here too! 3. I think Duo as a product/vision is very clear at the moment too. It solves a clear problem for our customers, and the focus everyone has on customers is refreshing compared to other places I've worked in the past. 4. I've been really impressed with how Duo has handled the pandemic for employees. Leadership has been really flexible & understanding so it has been a huge relief. It hasn't really had a huge negative impact on how we collaborate / do business from what I've seen. Some teams were already fully remote before the pandemic.

Cons

Things that I think can be improved. 1. I can echo some of the other reviews in terms of being part of the larger Cisco machine. Ex: some of the internal processes are insane at Cisco, but it sounds like they are open to feedback. 2. I haven't seen a lot of clarity around raises / promotions / reviews from what I've seen so far. This might vary between teams possibly? 3. My workload has been fairly heavy at times.

3 people found this review helpful

Employer Brand

Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed feedback! We are happy to hear about all the things you've enjoyed so far. All your points are spot on! We're working hard to continue to make internal processes smoother during this continued time of growth. Thank you again for your review!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 147 Reviews