Duo Security Reviews | Glassdoor

4.6
Duo Security CEO Dug Song
Dug Song

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work-life balance (Open PTO policy) (in 16 reviews)

• Everyone is willing to help each other out (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • They will very likely continue to grow, but will do so on the backs of some very good people who deserve better (in 5 reviews)

• Because we're growing so fast, having communication breakdowns is a near certainty (in 5 reviews)

"Best job I've ever had"

I have been working at Duo Security full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am continually surprised by how great this company is to work for. As an employee, I feel incredibly valued, and I have yet to work with someone I disliked. The flexibility, work/life balance, compensation, and general attitude around the company are absolutely top notch.

I cannot say enough good things about this job, and I hope to stay here for a very long time, and to show my appreciation by giving them my best work possible.

Cons

It's a silly one, but the only thing I can think of is that the fast paced environment means that I don't get quite the personal attention from people as I might otherwise like; meetings get interrupted by slack/email or whatnot. If you aren't comfortable with rapid changes of topic and attention, this might be a tad annoying at times - but it's quite minor in the grand scheme of things.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. You can't make everyone happy all the time - but it seems the overwhelming majority of employees here love the job, the product, and the company. Don't sweat the few dissenters, and continue showing the staff how valuable they are to the success of the company.

"Great Culture & Leadership + Killer Products"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Duo Security full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture was one of the main drivers pulling me to Duo. Former colleagues working here kept telling me it was the best company they ever worked for, and throughout the interview process I was impressed with how everyone spoke the same way about the culture and guiding principles. And it's not just talk, from the founders on down I've experienced the teams living the guiding principles.

Aside from the culture, the products are great. Extremely easy to use and implement as well as demo. I'm proud to work for a great company with super smart people.

Cons

I'd advise anyone coming to Duo to come in "eyes wide open" so to speak. While the culture and people are great, after the interview process I was envisioning this utopian environment with everyone singing kumbaya and holding hands. While it is great, it's not without the usual conflict/difficulty at times, having to chase folks down for things, etc.

Advice to Management

Keep up the transparency with regular DLTs, emails from Dug, and the great expanding benefits for 2018.

Dec 12, 2017 – Co-Founder and CTO

Appreciate the kind words! I'm happy to hear that your pre-hiring experience and expectations matched up with post-hiring (maybe minus the kumbaya ;-). Keep the feedback coming!

"Duo is the real deal!!"

Current Employee - Manager in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Manager in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Duo Security full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The're all about collaboration: everyone I've met is open to answering questions and giving context--so critical when you're a new employee and trying to wayfind.

They value domain knowledge. People accept and trust that you know stuff. I'm blown away by the ability for folks to hear what you have to say, clarify and integrate your contributions.

Proud to be an outlier. Duo is thoughtfully and intentionally different than other companies in the tech and security industry. This is a really good thing and they embrace it with great humility.

Striving for better. As Duo evolves, it can be hard to hold on when things are moving so fast. What helps us is a commitment to our core values.

Desire to grow diversity & inclusion. They just hired their first manager for d&i. I am stunned by the openness and willingness to change practice & behavior so that Duo is a great place for its team and a model for the industry.

Cons

Honestly I have none. I spent the first three months waiting for the shoe to drop or secret awful to emerge. It hasn't. It just gets better and better. By no means are we perfect, and I'm relieved that there are things to improve...What I think sets us apart is the desire to learn from our mistakes and get better.

Advice to Management

Invest in Duo managers in the middle as we scale. These folks will continue to bake the best Duo culture cake if they are supported, given coaching and grow their management skills. We know that managers make or break an employee experience so putting energies into developing phenomenal managers will be critical in 2018.

Dec 7, 2017 – CIO

Thank you - glad to hear your first year at Duo is going well! Intentionally designing our organization, which includes hiring not just for cultural fit but for cultural contribution, is something... More

4. "Sales"

I have been working at Duo Security full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* The product does what we say it will do. Selling Duo means I can be honest with my customers and not compromise my integrity. It's also a product has a real impact on our customers.

* The company has done a great job of maintaining the core of it's culture and values.

* Our headquarters being in Michigan makes a huge difference. We don't have the fluff and pompous attitude of the Bay Area where everyone just wants to get another year of a different startup on their resume. We get work done and work collaboratively to build the company into something that will last. Not something just good enough to get acquired.

Cons

* The benefits could be a lot better but they continue to improve as we grow.

* There's some leadership that could improve. There's been resignations as a result of grievances with management. If the company acted quicker to improve or handle certain management, we would retain and also hire more. This is an issue with all companies though and also the vast majority of those in Duo management are great.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. Work on the benefits.

Dec 12, 2017 – SVP WW Sales and BD

Thank you for your note and your comments on high integrity selling and building an enduring culture / company. We revisit our comp every 6 months and our benefits every 12 months, so we're always... More

"Never seen a company like this before"

I have been working at Duo Security full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Best culture of any IT company out there
    - Very talented leadership staff
    - People truly care about each other and that starts from the top with Dug (CEO)
    - Incredible growth and products that customers actually love (they use the word “love” - it’s so strange)
    - Unlimited career and personal potential

Cons

Honestly none. Compared to other security companies - less than none.

Advice to Management

Keep building this beast!!

Nov 27, 2017 – Vice President of Customer Success

Thanks for sharing your experience working at Duo! A strong culture, amazing people, and a great product are the keys to our success. We are all on this journey together - thank you for all you do to... More

"Great product"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Duo Security full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I work with some very talented people who are always willing to help. It is fast paced and the knowledge you can build is incredible.

Cons

The company needs to develop better ways to reward people for staying. They reward little in company equity. There are no formal review processes and the cash / comp packages are not anything great. It would be nice to see Duo reward those that stay and work hard with good incentives and strong equity in the company.

Advice to Management

Reward your employees with ownership. For 1 billion dollar unicorn, share the equity with those that got you there, not just the elite management team.

Dec 12, 2017 – SVP WW Sales and BD

Thank you for your post and your comments on the great people here and our team selling culture. We always want to make sure we're staying in tune with competitive benchmarks, which is why we do the... More

7. "Incredible Company"

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Duo Security full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Truly, where do I begin? This company preaches that they are invested in their employees and the proof is evident from day one. If you do not embrace a "team" atmosphere, this might not be the best place for you. Duo wins and loses as a team. You will never have a shortage of resources (internal and external) at your disposal. You really do have everything you need to be successful (thus making the team and company successful).

As far as the benefits, the 401k is a work in progress, but really it is a fair setup (matching based on company performance). Given how well the company is performing, it works out well with the 401k. The time off policy is amazing. There is no limit to how much time you take off (take time when you need it). The compensation is excellent. The insurance is great - really a solid plan all around.

The culture is what sets this place apart. There are no second thoughts on whether or not somebody is accepted based on any attribute of that individuals life. The best way to describe the culture? It's a family at Duo.

Cons

It's a fast paced environment. With the massive growth that Duo is undergoing, you need to be open to running with the herd. In other words, if you prefer a slow paced and non-innovative environment, this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your employees as we grow. A subsidized gym membership/allowance would be nice, as health is important. The healthier we are, the better we perform. That would just be the icing on the cake.

Nov 30, 2017 – VP of Production Engineering

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback about Duo. I'm excited to hear that things are going so well for you! I've also been with Duo for just more than a year, and have very similar... More

8. "Best company I have ever worked for"

I have been working at Duo Security full-time

Pros

Duo truly believes in its employees and gives us the necessary tools to be successful every day. It has a customer first mentality and the product just works. It's that simple. The culture is not a joke here. BEST IN CLASS! So excited I get to come to work everyday.

Cons

No cons discovered so far!

Advice to Management

Continue to support your employees and thanks for all you do!

Nov 7, 2017 – VP of Engineering

Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate how you distilled the list of things that have led to our success: customers, employees, culture, and product. If you ever find any of that changes let myself... More

9. "AMAZING!"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Duo Security full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It has by far been the best company to work for. The CEO is so down to earth. He takes the time to talk to every individual in the organization. Everyone is so happy and friendly. The pay and benefits are top notch.

Cons

None. Seriously none. I can't say it enough. Everything is great about the organization!

Advice to Management

As we grow, keep the culture strong!

Sep 29, 2017 – CIO

Thank you! As we continue to grow and scale it will be important that we all work together to continue a great company culture. So please, keep the feedback coming and lets continue to build great... More

"Duo is a great place to work"

I have been working at Duo Security full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, Culture, Vision, Transparency, Pay, Talent, and most importantly the constant desire to improve everything.
    I really enjoy working at Duo and would recommend it to a friend. Duo takes care of employees and helps them develop as professionals. The only place I've ever worked where the majority of employees are qualified for their jobs.

Cons

It's hard to say anything bad about Duo. As with any growing tech company there is constant process change, but sometimes the change feels like it's for the sake of change and not for strategic improvement in processes. My day to day process has changed on a biweekly basis, it's hard to know what is expected at times. Then when you get it, it changes again. If you don't embrace change, you may struggle here.

Advice to Management

Upper management is wonderful, even middle managers are easy to work with and personable.
    My only cause for concern is that there are people in the sales org that are ready for promotions and Duo is bringing on people from outside the organization with less relevant experience. The internal promotion process could be handled a lot better. Sometimes it feels like sales managers are holding high performers back on promotions because they don't want to lose them on their team. When it's all said and done, Duo could inevitably lose rockstars to other organizations willing to hire them in at the position they ultimately belong in.

Nov 7, 2017 – SVP WW Sales and BD

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are proud of our team and company that continues to scale the culture in a thoughtful way with all the pros that you mentioned (transparency... More