Duo Security Reviews | Glassdoor

4.5
Duo Security CEO Dug Song
Dug Song

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great work-life balance (Open PTO policy)" (in 17 reviews)

• "Everyone is willing to help each other out" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Duo is growing quickly so there are some growing pains that come with it" (in 10 reviews)

• "They will very likely continue to grow, but will do so on the backs of some very good people who deserve better" (in 5 reviews)

1. "Duo is a fantastic workplace with amazing people and values"

Current Employee - Information Security Analyst in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Information Security Analyst in Austin, TX

I have been working at Duo Security full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

From the begging of the recruiting process it was clear that Duo was different from other places I have applied. The recruiting staff impressed me with their speed of follow up, willingness to answer all my questions, and setting expectations on how the process would work. Alissa Hebert was a pleasure to work with and made me feel like I was the only person she was recruiting, which I doubt was the case. From there I had great phone interviews with the Director of Corporate Security and Senior Manager of Security Operations. I was pleasantly surprised that both of them reserved at least half of the interview for my questions and concerns. They really wanted to make sure I understood the role and was comfortable with the job. Finally the on-site interviews was a fantastic experience and I left feeling even if I didn't get the job my time onsite was invaluable to my professional growth.

The values at Duo are not an afterthought but guiding principles that are baked into everything from the hiring process to the products. It is so refreshing to work with such a diverse, supportive, and talented group of people. I have received more valuable feedback from my peers at Duo then in my previous 15 years of working combined.

Cons

The biggest challenge for me at Duo is the size of the organization. Historically I have worked in small organizations(<50 people) as a consultant and making the leap to being an employee has taken some time to get used to.

Advice to Management

The people, values, and a democratizing security product are what makes Duo an awesome company and a joy to work for. As long as management keep that in mind I see good things in our future.

2. "Account Executive"

I worked at Duo Security full-time

Pros

The technology is now widespread. Company culture is good.

Cons

Recruiting could be better. Sales pay is far below market.

Jul 19, 2018 – SVP, People

Thank you for the review. Our internal info (very high rates of offer acceptance and of retention) and external market comparisons indicate that our salaries are competitive. We review this... More

"Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Duo Security full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Duo's core values are really reflected in the everyday work culture. People work hard and create a wonderful working environment.

Cons

It's a rapidly growing company so there are lots of changes. If you don't thrive in a fast paced work environment, Duo might not be the best pace for you to work.

4. "Fantastic place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Duo Security full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I’ve been here for a month. Coming in I had heard nothing but good things about the company, and I can honestly say that my high expectations were met.

Dug is a great CEO. Very genuine, very well respected. The leadership team is accessible and down to earth.

Amidst their rapid growth, Duo is doing an impressive job of being intentional about gauging what’s going well and what is not. They are committed to being a great company for both their customers and their employees.

Cons

Space is limited. Finding open conference rooms is sometimes a pain.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! Don’t stop surveying employees, and don’t lower the no a-hole hiring standard.

5. "Customer Success Engineer"

I have been working at Duo Security full-time

Pros

Some of the brightest and kindest people with which I've ever had the pleasure of working. Supporting a product that makes a huge impact on the security environment and makes the lives and jobs of millions of people easier and safer, so you really feel like you're making a difference on a big scale.

Cons

Mostly that things are changing rapidly and it can be difficult to keep your head wrapped around it. The thing that the company seems to struggle the most with alongside this explosive growth and change is continuing to invest accordingly in people's development.

Jun 20, 2018 – CSE Director

I appreciate your taking the time to provide feedback. Many of the items you’ve identified as positives were also influential in my own decision to join Duo, so to hear that these themes still ring... More

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Engineer in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Engineer in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Duo Security full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Culture is awesome
    * Growth is clear and planned
    * Multiple locations spread across varied geographic regions
    * Fast-paced environment
    * Challenging problems
    * Has a number of awesome remote workers
    * Individual/team-level communication between offices is good
    * Blazing new paths in the industry
    * Tries to align engineering pay with Silicon Valley instead of the Midwest

Cons

These are almost entirely growth-related.

* Pace can occasionally overshadow stability
    * Global-level communication between locations could be much better
    * Hiring process has always had followthrough issues and could be much more transparent
    * Better communication between new teams and employees previously responsible for new teams roles, usually split along location

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing with the culture, but open up more avenues to connect the various locations and remote workers socially. We mainly rely on employees to self-organize, which usually ends up siloing folks to teams and/or locations.

All in all, keep up the great work!

Jun 6, 2018 – SVP, People

Thank you for your kind comments -- and for your advice about improving connectivity. Growing as fast as we are, with the high value we place on connectivity, collaboration, and mutual respect... More

"Great company to work for"

I have been working at Duo Security full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful company culture. Employees are kind and focused on delivering great security that our customers love.

Cons

It is a fast paced work environment, which is not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on making great culture at Duo.

8. "Hands down, the best place I have ever worked"

I have been working at Duo Security full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Surrounded by motivated, intelligent people from diverse backgrounds that makes the day-to-day fun. Amazing culture with focus on work/life balance that is actually as close to a balance as it can get. A place where your voice is actually heard and acted on.

Cons

Rapid growth can cause many changes to departmental leadership so communication at times can get hung up.

Advice to Management

Continue to exceed the status quo.

"Toxic Management"

I worked at Duo Security full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A bunch of unnecessary free gifts, free LaCroix, you can also tell people you work at Duo.

Cons

I worked in the ISS department and the management is a joke. Managers would make inappropriate sexual jokes, mock religious beliefs, not show up to meetings, and give unreasonable deadlines. Like being told on Friday afternoon something needed to be done by Monday.

There is no training or job-specific onboarding at all. I was given a google doc and was essentially on my own.

Unless you wanted to drink and play ping pong in the basement all day you got short shafted. Your best bet for promotion in this place is to be a "bro".

Yet other teams like the poor folks doing Salesforce have to work mandatory overtime and have been doing that for the better part of a year due to yet again the failings of management. I'm not talking 5 or 10 hours either, 20 plus. (I heard that exact number from 3 of the developers I was friends with on that team).

Advice to Management

I cannot speak for the other departments at Duo but you already know there are huge issues with the management team in ISS. Maybe focus a bit more on employee growth than on giving away free shoes and headphones.

May 1, 2018 – CIO

As the leader of the ISS department, I am personally disappointed to read this but appreciate the candid feedback and am committed to learning more as your description does not reflect our... More

10. "Fantastic organization to work for!"

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Duo Security full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The most inclusive and inviting organization I have ever had the opportunity to be a part of. The level of intelligence is high without the annoying pompous attitudes that would typically come along with it. I absolutely enjoy every person I work with on a daily basis which has never happened for any company for me. I cannot praise the people aspect enough.

Cons

The work/life balance is a bit tough to deal with at times. Most calls are made to look like red alerts when the prospect is relaxed and just looking to validate the Duo solution in their own environment. The idea that everything is on fire until we discover that it isn't is a bit ridiculous. Compensation

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on keeping awesome talent! The talent that Duo holds is the reason Duo is the first unicorn to come out of Michigan.