Ecolab Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 13, 2017
1,057 reviews

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Ecolab Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Doug Baker Jr.
Doug Baker Jr.

1,057 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work Life Balance but still fast paced (in 47 reviews)

• The company offered good benefits (in 73 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A Current Employee’s Perspective"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

Pros

I currently work at Ecolab’s Headquarters in Minnesota. I originally pursued a career with Ecolab because it is a historically ethical company with that has values and morals that I could easily get behind. They care for their employees, focus on promoting internally, and moving associates around the company to get a better range of experiences and maintain job satisfaction. I have thoroughly enjoyed being introduced to Ecolab’s culture and learning more about the different ways to can get involved throughout the company.

Cons

I was brought on as a contractor, which would be my only area of improvement for Ecolab. There are a lot of things that contractors do not have access to, and a various activities and on-boarding experiences that they are excluded from. However, this seems to be an area of improvement that is already on management’s radar and I have already seen some improvement on this.

Advice to Management

I have had excellent experience with my managers and directors. They are receptive to new ideas and always make time to answer questions. That being said, keep up the good work!

2. "Work life"

I have been working at Ecolab full-time

Pros

Ability to create your own schedule
    Independent work style

Cons

Trying to keep everyone happy at all times.

3. "LDP"

I have been working at Ecolab full-time

Pros

Lots of opportunities, room for growth, lots of exciting new roles

Cons

lack of support, program growing too fast, new LDP manager very often

Advice to Management

There needs to be more support for LDPs

4. "An honest review"

Former Employee - Territory Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Territory Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Ecolab full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They provide you with a company car, computer and tools. They do provide fairly decent training for their products.

Hands on training for 3 months before being put into a territory on your own.

Pretty decent support system, the experienced guys will help out if you need it, and you can always call the hotline for assistance.

Cons

You are always on-call, and in Vegas, that is 24/7, as many properties do not close. You are expected to crawl around in disgusting kitchens, wearing slacks and a button up (with a TIE), installing dishmachines and equipment.

They don't provide nearly enough safety equipment. They don't care about actually saving customers money, in fact, if you do that (by lowering chemical dilution rates), they will get on you because you are bringing in less revenue.

They have very unethical practices, and favor those with seniority, regardless of how terrible of employees they are. They lack leadership, they promote based off of your sales and how much you drink the Kool-Aid, and not based on actual leadership ability.

They claim you have a flexible schedule, but you really don't.

Pay is abysmal, and in order to make decent money, you would need to work 14 hours a day... unless you are handed a pristine territory that is worth a few million dollars (not going to happen).

Promotions have no rhyme or reason, they just promote people based off their good ol boy system.... Usually a Territory Manager moving to District Manager someday, or a Street Sales Rep... but some people in the good ol boy system will skip 2 or 3 levels and end up in a much more lucrative position without "putting in the work"... making it yet again, inconsistent.

Antiquated technology for prospecting, and refuse to listen to better ideas.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the nepotism, leadership is lacking... Management is filled with great sales people, not great leaders.

5. "Pay is great, management is lacking."

Current Employee - Warehouse Person in Joliet, IL
    Current Employee - Warehouse Person in Joliet, IL

I have been working at Ecolab full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Money is awesome and job isn't difficult once you get the hang of it.

Cons

Management makes continuously poor decisions mitigated by endless forced overtime, treats employees like they are lazy and stupid.

Advice to Management

Shadow the position you're managing. Understand the job before changing the processes you don't understand. Realize that many workers would like to see their families on days other than Sunday.

6. "TM"

I have been working at Ecolab full-time

Pros

A chance to earn good money
    Great people who work alongside you
    Company vehicle
    300.00 monthly allotment towards gas
    Upward mobility
    Company innovates new chemicals
    Fss items are an easy sell

Cons

Pay needs to be commensurate with work done
    The powers that Be don’t understand that when you factor in corporate rollouts and new machine installations this can take up much of your day
    Focus less on call coverage and more on revenue from the route/territory
    If the expectation is for us to install everything then it is critical to provide the proper tools and part for us to do the job properly. I have had to spend hundreds of dollars out of pocket on basic tools because the company provides tools are sub par.
    Please manufacture more durable equipment and dispensers. Plastic with metal does not work and makes our lives very challenging when trying to maintain and manage our accounts.
    Health insurance is expensive and not very good. The vision and dental is good
    Work life balance. I generally average 60-70 hours working a week and still struggle to finish all of my tasks.
    Corporate account managers not communicating new sales rollouts to corporate accounts, it’s a struggle and a battle getting customers to place direct orders of 1000s in new chemical.
    Not enough boots on the ground. When one person goes down it can affect an entire market. Need to have more service managers and have relief route guys.
    Weekend coverage can be very demanding. Depending on your market. Basically add on an additional 20 hours of work for that week.

Advice to Management

Please give us longer to complete corporate rollouts. Please provide better tools, please hire more people, please pay us more.

I don’t know ecolab avoids labor law disputes. I’m prettt sure it’s illegal to have us cover other accounts we don’t make any commissions from on the weekend. I also believe it’s illegal to have us work 12 days straight with no days off. Also, it’s illegal whether or not we wave overtime pay to not compensate for increased work time. Please factor in how much time we spend working for you and making your company revenue and increase some of the compensation. I know the company can afford it. I like the direction they are going with conditioning the water bc the number one reason our equipment fails is due to poor quality water wrecking our equipment.

"Manager"

I have been working at Ecolab full-time

Pros

Ecolab has good benefits. You work on projects which does help preserve water. The feeling of doing good really helps you motivate while working.

Cons

Too much focused on wall street numbers.

8. "Sr Service Specialist"

Current Employee - Senior Service Specialist in Springfield, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Service Specialist in Springfield, MA

I have been working at Ecolab full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company Vehicle goes home with you

Cons

Awful low level management

Advice to Management

Take a look at your managers. They do nothing

9. "Stable fundamentals, growth potential, temporary headwinds"

I have been working at Ecolab full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good people, sound business fundamentals and strong growth potential

Cons

intern processes can be more efficient

10. "Route sales manager"

Current Employee - Route Sales Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Route Sales Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Ecolab full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay
    Start and end when you want
    Great insurance
    Good work environment
    You can go anywhere in the country you want heck even the world really.

Cons

Long hours
    On call everyday except weekends
    You have to rotate weekend usually you have to work one weekend a month.

Advice to Management

It is very easy to get promoted with ecolab. You just have to meet your goals which is not hard to do. It'll you do you can get promoted.

Showing 1,057 of 1,106 reviews