Edaptive Computing Reviews | Glassdoor

Edaptive Computing Reviews

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dr. Praveen Chawla

"Well, probably four and a half stars"

I have been working at Edaptive Computing full-time

Pros

A dynamic, small-but-growing business, engaged in a wide array of meaningful work. The range of efforts in which ECI is involved keeps the company - and the workforce - from being vulnerable to the termination of individual contracts. A highly talented population of hardware and software developers applies fresh approaches to solve challenging problems in applications and systems development, in hardware and software security, and in workflow and supply chain optimization. The owners take an active role in everyday operation, and are very accessible. Flexible, well-defined processes and a team-based project management structure keep projects on track without handcuffing developers and managers.

Cons

Currently performing a higher proportion of federal contract work than is probably ideal, given the government's tendency to rearrange their own priorities and funding levels based on political, economic, and budgetary conditions. Owner involvement level can seem intrusive to employees who aren't accustomed to the small business environment.

Advice to Management

Diversify the portfolio of work. Continue to keep every employee apprised of the company vision and their role in it. Be sure to treat each employee with the respect with which you have treated me. (I haven't seen a single example in which they haven't; I just don't assume!)

2. "Too Much Micro Management"

I worked at Edaptive Computing full-time

Pros

Employees and CTO are world class.

Cons

Less micro management from senior managers

Advice to Management

Hire smart people and let them do their job. You just might be surprised.

"Former employee"

Pros

Some flexibility in work hours. Good exposure to professional software development.

Cons

Low pay. Little to no interest in developing employees. Very cramped and unpleasant work environment. How is it that with over 50 employees, the only female is the owner's wife?

Advice to Management

More focus on employee development and appreciation of employee efforts.

"Great Place for Growing Employees"

I worked at Edaptive Computing full-time

Pros

I worked here for over 3 years and while it wasn't always smooth sailing I can tell you this, if your performance dictates it and you desire to help the company grow and constantly show a positive attitude and determination to impress you will be treated like family by upper management. If you show absolutely no motivation whatsoever then it most likely is not the place for you. My reason for leaving was related to wanting to transition to the larger corporate environment and gain significant experience in that realm and it was an amicable parting with no hard feelings. The company is constantly winning new contracts and bringing in revenue and during my tenure there they experienced significant growth in both revenue stream and company size (both in employees and office space). The owners and senior-level PM's know what they're doing and I have a lot of respect for them, especially some of the more tenured PM's who spent years working in the government sector and know their way around.

Cons

There were occasional instances were workplace drama became an issue due to disgruntled employees who disagreed with the company's vision but over time those became easier to handle and tune out if necessary. I highly dislike workplace drama and believe that cohesion and mutual respect is the best way to be successful in both the small business world and large corporation world.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're in regards to winning contracts because it's working and continue to help foster growth, especially with your entry-level developers who show promise.

"NO WAY"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

I worked at Edaptive Computing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only Pro I can mention, is that there are some great people that work for this company. Most of them young, right out of school, and working on getting some experience, not knowing any better.

Cons

Micromanaged, Very High Turnover, I saw another post that started close to 50% turnover rate. I worked for Edaptive for 2 years, and from my experience it was higher than that. I can also tell you from my experience with the company, that is was not due to the employees bad attitude as to why they left. It is due to the disrespect from the CEO, She will talk to you like you are a child if you report directly to her. You owe her, because she hired you. They want accurate timesheet keeping, but if you work more than 40 hours in a week, they will tell you, you can't put that on your timesheet. They follow their own rules when it benefits them. If you are a young male looking to get your foot in the door, that is easy. If you are female, that is a different story. They have used female contractors, but in the 2 years I have been there they will not hire a female employee. No Security for being a government contractor, questionable software, it is all about the bottom dollar, don't expect them to spend a penny unless absolutely necessary. Well until the end of the year, when they go on a spending frenzy for tax purposes. Very immoral, noncompliant company I have ever worked for. Be warned.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees, talk to them like equals, not like they owe you everything. That alone would help with your turnover. I still keep in contact with current employees and past employees of Edaptive and they all think the same thing. It is the lack of respect that most leave. Up your security, it is very lacking. If you do those two things, I think Edaptive could grow, if not, the woman owned minority owned company that is winning you the bids is going to dry up. You can't ride that train forever. Good Luck.

"A place that gives you a chance to shine"

Pros

When I first started at Edaptive I had no experience and little self confidence in my programming abilities. They gave me a chance when no one else would. I had hear things like you need more experience or come back in 2 - 5 years. But at Edaptive the owners took a chance on me and it has payed off. The company hires fresh grads to Sr. developers. They give a chance to all of those who deserve a chance.

Cons

At Edaptive the company has grown very quickly leaving Edaptive short staffed. This leads to having to learn a wide verity of technologies.

Advice to Management

Continue to grow Edaptive but be careful of bad apples. On bad apple can spoil the bunch. Overall This is the best place I have ever worked. Please continue to take chances on young developers.

"A different Viewpoint"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

Pros

I have been working in software development for over 30 years, in addition to owning/co-owning a few different companies, so I have a much different viewpoint on who ECI is compared to other companies. I have worked in both the commercial and government sectors. I have worked at small companies of 10 people to companies with over 20,000 people. So I think I have a pretty good feel for how ECI stacks up with the current marketplace. First, I would start off by saying: If Edaptive is the worst company ever, with no values or ethics, then why does it continue to grow, retain good people, and continually win new contracts? Could it be that the negative comments below just the rantings of disgruntled employees, who are really not the smartest people in the room that they think they are by getting out, but that the rest of the employees who remain actually enjoy working for a company that offers a enjoyable environment to work in, where the work is challenging, where yearend bonuses are handed out (at least in the 2 years that I have been with the company), along with ad hoc gift cards and birthday celebrations, not to mention working on challenging projects, involving cutting edge technologies?

Do the developers work in a bull-pen environment? Yes they do, which is not unlike the ones utilized by Google or what Fidelity Investments used when I worked there, or a lot of other technology companies (just look at the graphic on the front page of the GlassDoor website). This does not make it a sweatshop, just a different environment that actually works quite well for software development projects.

Edaptive Computing is owned by a husband and wife, and as a Project Manager & Principle Developer, I can tell you that a lot of the negative comments about the owners/upper management are being offered from a 10 foot view, not a 50,000 foot view. I chose to come to Edaptive, for among other reasons, because I was tired for working for a large company, where things generally move slower in adapting new technologies, to a smaller company where utilization of new technologies generally happens at faster pace. In the 2 years that I have been with Edaptive, I have been impressed with the diversity of projects, and the amount and level of new contracts that are continually being won. What does this mean to you as a potential employee, a place with steady work without fear of being unemployed in a year or two. Go to the company website and look at the open job postings. These are not all due to turn over, but to the number of new contracts that we are winning.

In a Nutshell:
    Small company. Challenging project/work utilizing cutting edge technologies. For me, it is nice to be at a company where I am not the smartest person in the room, but one of the many smart and talented developers at Edaptive. Yearend bonuses (not guaranteed, but have received since I have been with the company). Little things like, free snacks in the break room, birthday celebrations, ad hoc gift cards. Internal training, not just from within, but also by bringing in college professors to teach classes in their fields of expertise. Pay that is consummate with experience. An open door policy at every level of the company. A company with a lot of up-side and job security.

Cons

Just the same growing pains that I have seen from several successful companies as they move from being a small-small company to a large-small company.

Advice to Management

Continue to do what you are doing. Grow the company, hire quality people and continue to build the positive reputation for Edaptive Computing within the government community.

"Advice for Potential Employees"

I have been working at Edaptive Computing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been working for over 40 years, so I am much older than the majority of employees at Edaptive. I heard about Glassdoor.com and how employees can provide reviews about their company so I decide to see what people were saying. What I found was very interesting and I would like to make a couple observations.
    1. Many of these negative comments are made by employees after they moved on from Edaptive. I read the recent comments and feel confident attributing them to an employee that was released on that same day. I strongly disagree with both of these comments. These are the emotional ramblings of a disgruntle employee that, personally, I am glad to see leave.
    2. Edaptive is a growing software company that is looking to fill numerous software developer positions. Many of our positions are filled with younger developers and job hopping is the “new normal” for Millennials. While the turnover rate is not nearly as high as claimed in some of these reviews, I can tell you that many people leave as a direct result of their performance and/or negative attitudes. I don’t care where you work, neither of those attributes will ensure longevity.
    Now let me make a recommendation. Take these reviews with a grain of salt. Don’t pass up what may be an outstanding opportunity to learn and work because some former employees decide to post garbage in a manner that prevents them from being held accountable for what they say. Investigate the company and ask questions about what you have read during the interview process. Make sure your decision to work for this, or any, company is based on your firsthand knowledge and not what you read on line. What may not seem like a good job to some people may be the ideal job for you.

PROs:
    This company has been on a steady growth path for the last 10 years. The pay is commensurate with your education and experience. Their benefits are comparable to other companies (e.g., health, dental, and vision insurance, 3 weeks’ vacation/PTO, Simplified IRA, etc.) and I can tell you that they are very generous with yearly bonuses (up to one month’s pay for top performers). I’ve never seen a company that randomly hands out gift cards to their employees.
    The owners promote education and certification and will generally pay for testing fees and will soon provide a tuition reimbursement program.
    The work is diverse and is some of the most interesting work that I have been exposed too. When your project is completed you are not laid off, you will be moved onto another project. In 18 years Edaptive has never had to lay off employees due to a lack of work.
    The owners of this company do care about their employees as much as they care about the company itself. They could not have such a successful company if they treated their employees as described in some of these reviews.

Cons

People will always find (or create) a negative issue with a company. I laugh when I read some of the CONs that are posted on this site. Most of the departing employees are junior level employees and have very little experience working in industry and make statements that are more emotional than factual. CONs are nothing but their perceptions.

Advice to Management

Continue to grow the company. Continue to believe and trust in your employees. Continue to look for the best and brightest employees.

"Reality"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Dayton, OH

I worked at Edaptive Computing full-time

Pros

Working here allows a person to quickly pick up a base of development skills . This is a useful quick stop for new developers who are unsure of themselves and their value. In my opinion, software developers should always check their value in the market to make sure they aren't helping to push down rates at other development companies.

Cons

Young employees are paid extremely low wages. Younger employees do not realize their value and tend to work at Edaptive far longer than they need to in order to be qualified for much higher wages. A principal developer might be paid on par with what they made at other companies, but that does not make them experts on compensation at Edaptive. I received a very large raise when I left. The people who are hired on as principles or team leads might have a different experience as they may have known their value going in. That does not mean that Edaptive doesn't pay less than market for most employees compared to what they would be paid at another defense contractor. I too have worked at many companies and have an opinion that is just as valuable as someone calling other posters stupid. I don't think checking into the market and finding better opportunity is dumb, and I would encourage all employees of any company to go out and check their value at other employers before assuming someone getting paid twice what you are receiving is telling you the truth about compensation at Edaptive or elsewhere. If there are only a few people with good wages out of 50-60, they are outliers. Compensation aside, the work life balance was poor here too. I have worked a couple of years since being at Edaptive and have barely worked overtime at all. I regularly worked extra hours at Edaptive. I was also asked to do odd jobs at Edaptive that had nothing to do with software development. This put people in awkward situations where they were building desks during their lunches for a slice of pizza or two. That is something people do because they feel that if they won't, it might affect raises or how they are treated. Are team leads or principles asked to do this "side" work?? Not from what I witnessed. Not everyone is treated the same. There are a handful of people who are treated decently and appear to be paid enough to keep them around. Most of the development work is not done by these people but by people who typically leave after a year or two because of low pay and working conditions. These people who leave do not deserve to be called stupid merely because they have discovered reality...

Advice to Management

When there are back to back positive reviews on here, they look suspicious and I know people were asked to post here previously by management, because I was one of them.

"Constant turnover"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Centerville, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Centerville, OH

I worked at Edaptive Computing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For a private sector IT shop the normal work week stays pretty close to 40hrs. As long as you are not the only one filling a role you can flex your hours to earlier or later in the day. This can be a big benefit to those with kids. The people you work along side on the floor are great. They openly share information and experience with the rest of the team members. If you need a job it is easy to get your foot in the door if you are a man. They never missed a payroll while I was there.

Cons

Pay and benefits are on the low end of the scale. While there are some people that have been there for 10yrs + most only stick around a couple with many leaving before 1yr. For a 70 person firm they have an annual turnover rate of more than 50%. This is ridiculous. User workspace is comprised of 4x6 partitions with 5ft Ikea tables(not desks) and a 2 drawer file cabinet. Most people where headphones so they can concentrate.
    They preach accurate time sheet reportingbut don't follow it. Due to turn over and short staff they repeatedly miss contract project deadlines and goals. With the high turnover rate expect to spend alot of time decoding somebody else's work for which there is no documentation for. If you report directly to the owner expect to be micromanage every 15 minutes, when she is there. Expect to be talked to like you are 6. Expect to be interrupted by management regardless if you on on the phone/conversation with a client or co-worker.

Advice to Management

Take some pride in the office space. Stop trying to cram as many users and equipment into every niche. Having box fans mounted in the ceiling tiles for air circulation really looks bad, especially when most of them are burned out.
    Come up with a plan to address the turnover issue. Edaptive has several good things going for them but if you can't keep your staff it is just a matter of time. Treat people with respect and speak to them like adults. Regardless of what you think, you don't. Develop a trust and mentor relationship with your employees. While you say you have one, your actions prove that you don't.