Electric Insurance Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Doug Seymour

Pros
  • Accommodating to work/life balance requests (in 6 reviews)

• Electric is a great place to start a career (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • I worked in customer service and it is a call center nightmare (in 5 reviews)

• Slow shift from inbound call center to out-bound (in 4 reviews)

1. "Small P&C Insurer affiliated with GE"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly, MA

I have been working at Electric Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Affiliation with GE provides leverage and growth opportunity in leadership, management and operation mindset.

Cons

relatively small Property & Casualty insurer

"Customer Service"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Beverly, MA

I worked at Electric Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent GE benefits are offered

Cons

Poor management of the customer operations department. Service department is severely underpaid for the amount of work expected. If you are looking to work here , go to CLAIMS OR NEW BUSINESS, not service.

Advice to Management

Stop micro managing and worrying about metrics. Inbound call wait times need to be pushed back. Issues never get resolved when your biggest focus is how fast you pick up that next call. Good customer service isn't how fast you pick up the phone, it's treating each call with the up-most attention despite how much time it takes off the phone to fix the customers issues.

"dishonest leadership"

Former Employee - Attorney in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Attorney in Boston, MA

I worked at Electric Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed my relationships with some of my colleagues.

Cons

The leadership is driven by greed and fear. They cannot be trusted to keep their word in terms of compensation.

Advice to Management

Put decent human beings on the executive committee.

4. "A Great Place to Work!"

Former Employee - Legal Support Solutions Attorney in Reading, MA
    Former Employee - Legal Support Solutions Attorney in Reading, MA

I worked at Electric Insurance (Less than a year)

Pros

Interesting work, a company that vales its employees and a great management team. Many opportunities for employees to get involved both within the company and through charitable endeavors. Co-workers who are always willing to help and teach.

Cons

I can't think of anything negative to say about the company and my experience as a contractor.

5. "Good place to start your career."

Former Employee - New Policy Sales Consultant in Beverly, MA
    Former Employee - New Policy Sales Consultant in Beverly, MA

I worked at Electric Insurance (More than 3 years)

Pros

I started out (as most do) within the Customer Service department. While the job itself starts out difficult, with time and patience it will open many avenues for career advancement. They always look to promote from within first.

Cons

The only downside to the company is their pay scale. The salary structure is below the industry average and it's difficult to gain a substantial increase.

Advice to Management

Continue to promote from within, but keep in mind the industry average for the promotional role. Do not include current salary as the main indicator of what an employee should be making.

6. "Great company, average salary"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Beverly, MA
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Beverly, MA

I have been working at Electric Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great CEO/VP's. Does a lot for their employees. Permissive vacation time was just approved. GE healthcare/benefits. Always willing to help when they can.

Cons

Can make 15-20% more in Boston. Small company compared to rest of industry. Raises and salaries feel low compared to rest of industry.

7. "Litigation Manager"

Former Employee - Litigation Manager in Chestnut Ridge, NY
    Former Employee - Litigation Manager in Chestnut Ridge, NY

I worked at Electric Insurance (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work challenges, fast paced environment

Cons

Mercurial management sometimes makes errors in judgment

8. "Good"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly, MA

I have been working at Electric Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is a great working environment full of collaboration and discussion. The company provides plenty or training and opportunities to progress your career.

Cons

Although Electric Insurance is a GE company they don't necessarily pay to the same level I would imagine GE does.

Advice to Management

Open yourself up to more advice from employees with tenure. Sometimes they find themselves in cycles where they have heard the same ideas and routines.

"RUN DON'T WALK"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Beverly, MA

I worked at Electric Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You work with amazing people and make great friends.

Cons

This is the worst job I have ever had. I worked in customer service and it is a call center nightmare. Management seems so nice and understanding when you go to them about a personal problem or concern and then use it against you any chance they get. Hard work is questioned rather than praised. You work your butt off, get great numbers for the day, and then management thinks you've cheated your way through the day. You barely get any time after a call to make your notes and when you're on a call for an hour and need to document it they yell at you to jump on and take another call and then get mad when your notes aren't detailed. Crazy turnover. This place is bad news.

Advice to Management

Stop making this environment so stressful and actually praise you employees for hard work and maybe they'll stay longer than a year!

10. "Commercial Lines/ LSS"

Former Employee - Litigation Manager in Beverly, MA
    Former Employee - Litigation Manager in Beverly, MA

I worked at Electric Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company culture with plenty of events, raffles, etc. They usually have beer and wine tasting in the summer, a company-wide holiday party in December, a softball league. The people here are great to work with, I always enjoyed going to work every day! If you work hard and are patient, you will be recognized for it. Generally, management is supportive. The work can be interesting (commercial lines) where the client is GE. I was involved in a number of things that were really interesting and fulfilling that certainly outweigh any of the cons below.

Cons

I wouldn't characterize this as a con necessarily but you do have to work hard at EIC. There is no shortage of work to be done and expectations can be high given the client they serve. I worked in a few capacities Commercial Lines side that were quite demanding at times. Some people may not be looking for a position where working late periodically, etc. is necessary and this could be a con. Second, although some of the work is interesting there are also those necessary things that aren't so much! It comes with the territory to be stuck doing Excel spreadsheets sometimes, which can be daunting and boring.

Advice to Management

The availability and transparency of senior management is great and should continue given the changes happening at GE. There is a lot of talent below the middle manager level, recognition of these folks will ensure they are retained.