Twitch - Worse decision of my career | Glassdoor

"Worse decision of my career"

Former Employee - Developer Success Advocate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twitch full-time for more than a year

Pros

I was a Twitch community member before I joined, so it seemed like a dream come true. (Obviously that was before I started.)

Cons

Everything is chaos and pomp. People only care about themselves, there is absolutely no collaboration. Backstabbing is a huge problem as people compete within the org versus competing in the market. The upper managers don’t care and the middle managers are awful humans (lying, cheating, blowhards). Amazon culture doesn’t mix with Twitch nor with San Francisco cultures.

Advice to Management

If a person doesn’t intimately know the games industry or game developers, fire them. They have very little ability to contribute in a meaningful way.

Twitch2018-03-12
  1. "Amazing!!"

Former Intern - SWE

I worked at Twitch for less than a year

Pros

Great people. Great Culture. Great Office. Great food. Cool Problems.

Cons

none that I can think of

Twitch2019-09-20

"Don't join for data science"

Current Employee - Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Twitch has some great perks. I think we're actually a little spoiled. Good food, good benefits, chill work hours. Engineers have it the best here. Everyone else, not so much.

Cons

Data scientists (not analysts) have it the worst here. The top data scientist in the company was grandfathered into leadership by the Amazon acquisition. He has never worked anywhere else. His deputy is also an academic, also with no prior work or management experience. And it shows. Churn for data scientists is high, because we're stuck doing fundamental work like monthly reporting, instead of building models and... shipping code. There is no career path to speak of, so you spend most of your time treading water. In fact, the two data science managers we had were demoted, so career growth is actually negative. If you have an offer from Twitch, you can definitely get an offer somewhere else that takes data science seriously.

Twitch2019-10-01

Discover more reviews about Twitch.