Cover image for First Step House

99% Recommend to a Friend
100% Approve of CEO

Found 40 of over 41 reviews

4.7
First Step House Executive Director Shawn McMillen (no image)
Shawn McMillen

The latest conversations about Healthcare

Join the conversation on

Healthcare

5h

a

Laboratory Technician

I work in an “at-will” state… I’ve been at my job for 7.5 years.. obviously I was hired on at a lower rate than the new hire. I recently found out they are hiring people we will be doing on the job training for (absolutely no experience in patient care- previously in customer service) at $.90 less an hr than I am making. When I asked for a raise they gave me $1. Does this seem fair?! Ps… our employee manual states “wages are a private matter. Discussing wages is a fireable offense.”

6 Comments

Healthcare

132.9K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/medicine-2/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=First Step House~754752
Join the conversation on

Got a burning question about First Step House? Just ask!

On Fishbowl, you can share insights and advice anonymously with First Step House employees and get real answers from people on the inside.

What's Fishbowl
Ask a Question

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
    There are no cons to display at this time.
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Featured Review

Genuine work environment

Sep 14, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

The staff at all levels of the organization truly care for one another and for our clients. We work with really passionate, driven individuals. We have a really forward-thinking and innovative leadership team. The benefits are some of the best I've seen offered anywhere, but especially for a non-profit. Everyone can see their impact on the mission statement in the work that they do and we set and achieve lofty business goals that deeply influence our community.

Cons

Sometimes implementation or roll out of new things can feel clunky and disorganized.

2. 5.0

Progressive, ethical, and fun . . . but not easy

Sep 14, 2022 - Program Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Ethical, caring leaders who listen to your concerns and provide mentorship. Good compensation and benefits. Including the 36 hour workweek. Heavy emphasis on training and professional development. Growing with an organization that is highly progressive/dynamic. Collegial, humanizing vibe between coworkers. It often makes working with an intense, complex population into an inspirational experience.

Cons

The population served is intensely symptomatic in a lot of cases. So it’s not light and easy. The collegiality between staff members can definitely make that better, but this is not cushy work. Also with the expectation of high quality work, and the need to navigate a fair amount of red tape from funding and third-party payer organizations, it takes a lot of diligence, and a fair amount of critical thinking. i’ve worked here several years in various roles. The programs are constantly evolving, and while that generally is exciting and useful, it can be a downside as well, because of the complexity, and all the bugs that have to be worked out with new programs. When you move up to a new position, you’re off and hitting something up that has not been done before. Being able to tolerate ambiguity during these times of change is a must for those who are going to have longevity and upward progression. You will face change, progress and ambiguity, and your leaders will expect you to speak up about changes that may be needed.

3. Join the First Step House team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

They care

Aug 25, 2022 - Human Resources Generalist/Housing Support in Salt Lake City, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Generous benefits High rate of internal promotions Effective interviews Managers that care They live by their values

Cons

Working in this field will always be difficult

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great workplace

Aug 12, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great PTO and benefits, great work environment. Fantastic management

Cons

None. It really is a great workplace

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Fantastic Company!

Jul 14, 2022 - Cook in Salt River, AZ
    Business Outlook

Pros

They put you first! Outstanding Benefits. Work with your schedule she works for you.

Cons

Understaff at times In department

7. 5.0

Best Job I ever Had

Apr 1, 2022 - Network and Systems Administrator
    Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing coworkers Positive Company Culture Room for Advancement

Cons

None that I can think of

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

The BEST place to work!

Mar 30, 2022 - HR- Recruiter in Salt Lake City, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Managers that truly care about you and making sure you are successful. - Generous paid time off allowance (18 days starting in year one) - 15 observed holidays a year including your birthday - 401(k) employer matching - Opportunity for an annual merit increase

Cons

None that I can think of.

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

A Great Team

Mar 29, 2022 - Support Staff
    Business Outlook

Pros

The team spirit is fantastic, as is the patient care and compassion.

Cons

There are no cons as of yet.

10. 5.0
    Current Employee

An insightful group of people with a clear goal towards helping those who cannot always help themselves.

Mar 25, 2022 - Operations Director
    Business Outlook

Pros

I love working for this company and being part of an organization that does its absolute best to live up to its mission. Employees are treated with respect and are given every opportunity to grow. Benefits are excellent... plus you get 18 days of PTO out of the gate, as well as 15 paid holidays. A true family atmosphere that encourages honesty and hard work.

Cons

None I am aware of!

First Step House Response

Thanks for the review! Glad you are loving First Step house!

11. 3.0
    Former Employee

First step

Jan 17, 2022 - Certified Nursing Assistant CNA in Hot Springs, AR
    Business Outlook

Pros

Working with adults with disabilities

Cons

I don't believe I had any

Viewing 1 - 10 of 40 Reviews
</>Embed

First Step House Reviews FAQs

First Step House has an overall rating of 4.7 out of 5, based on over 41 reviews left anonymously by employees. 99% of employees would recommend working at First Step House to a friend and 99% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 7% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, First Step House employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.8 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at First Step House. This rating has improved by 6% over the last 12 months.

99% of First Step House employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated First Step House 4.8 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.9 for culture and values and 4.7 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at First Step House to be management, senior leadership, benefits and the cons to be work life balance, career development, compensation.

Popular Careers with First Step House Job Seekers

JobsSalariesInterviews

Work at First Step House? Share Your Experiences

First Step House logo

First Step House Careers

Cover image for First Step House

The “Whole Health” Model First Step House provides a continuum of care with four supportive pillars, including behavioral health...More

• Our Vision

• Line Cook(2)

Company Updates

46 days ago

Community
4 Day Week Global , a nonprofit organization supporting the idea of 4-day work weeks, recently wrapped up a global pilot program. According to Jon Leland, Chief Strategy Officer for Kickstarter, the 4-day week is a "true win-win." Check out CNN Business's article on the pilot results at https://lnkd.in/eBGNgNCx Last July, First Step House moved to a 36-hour week (and pay increase) for everyone in the org. Many of our employees are now working a 4-day work week and the benefits have been clear: higher employee satisfaction and better productivity. 💙

79 days ago

Community
This month we are celebrating a client who cleared his record by graduating from Drug Court. He also graduated from our residential treatment program, has stable employment in a line of work he is passionate about, and now lives in a safe and stable home. This success takes WORK! Congratulations on all of your hard work and achievements 👏🏽 #Recovery #HardWork #Congratulations Are you interested in living a life in recovery? Visit our website at https://bit.ly/FSH-home-FB to learn more.

First Step House Photos

How to Negotiate Your Salary

A Guide to Negotiating the Salary You Deserve

How to Write a Resume

Write a Resume Recruiters Can't Resist

Glassdoor has 41 First Step House reviews submitted anonymously by First Step House employees. Read employee reviews and ratings on Glassdoor to decide if First Step House is right for you.