GOJO Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
Joseph Kanfer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The company offers many perks; good health insurance, 401K, bonuses, free food, tuition reimbursement, Jerry's kids, annual employee lunch etc (in 6 reviews)

• Great benefits, expanding business, opportunities for moving up in the company and good stability (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Inconsistent management styles - you have to know which groups/bosses to stay away from and which are great (in 3 reviews)

• Some upper management issues and support (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Purpose driven company"

I have been working at GOJO full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The best company to work for in NE Ohio! The GOJO Purpose of Saving Lives and Making Life Better through Well-Being Solutions is the driving force and North Star of this company. It is a family-owned company that truly feels like a family. The legacy of the founder lives on through the culture. GOJO treats its people well at all levels of the organization, and provides opportunities for growth and development.

Cons

The cons are irrelevant as the strengths of the company are so strong!

2. "Shipping clerk"

Former Employee - I Had Some Family Issues That Prevented Me From Getting to Work in Akron, OH

I worked at GOJO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good place to work. People are friendly and management are very easy to work for as long as you do your job

Cons

It takes long time to get hired on

Advice to Management

Don't have any they were great... Wish I still worked there.

3. "Sales"

I worked at GOJO full-time

Pros

The people are very professional

Cons

There is a silo between the different groups and levels of employees

Advice to Management

Be more aligned and communicate with your teams

"Thought I'd retire here"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Akron, OH

I worked at GOJO full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people can really make or break your experience here. When you have a good supervisor there is collaboration and effective communication. Raises are nice and you feel really valued as a team member. There is work life balance. You really love coming into work. The company offers many perks; good health insurance, 401K, bonuses, free food, tuition reimbursement, Jerry's kids, annual employee lunch etc.

Cons

When you end up with less than good supervisors you end up walking on egg shells, you can have your "perks" taken away without notice. Raises end up being a joke and your performance reviews year to year have you looking like you unlearned things you were proficient at the year before. It's who you know, if you are related to, that matters most here. MANY people do little to no work and still have a job after over 5 years. There are also people who are abusive to their reports and still end up employed, GOJO ends up losing a lot of hard workers because of these reasons. The department I worked in was known as the "good ole boys" club, they didn't respond well or treat female employees fairly or as equals. Sometimes even seeking out male counterparts who have less experience to collaborate with. They would regularly not communicate department changes to the entire group and communication lacked across the board. Hard workers were not respected or appreciated just given more and let know where they were lacking for promotion opportunities. HR can be unresponsive which includes not showing up to scheduled meetings. Spousal surcharge is expensive. You have to pay to park which is unheard of in Akron.

Advice to Management

Reorganize the structure of the departments. You cannot expect the COO to know what is going on, on a day to day basis when he has no line of sight to the departments. There has to be a more involved middle guy who can see the disorganization, abuse of company time, abuse of employees etc.

"Dedicated company man of 10 years - Middle management corruption concurs"

Former Employee - Pricing Analyst in Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Pricing Analyst in Akron, OH

I worked at GOJO full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

one of the few large employers located in Akron Ohio

Cons

Poor work-Life balance culture - Fat management with lean employees. Poor business ethical practices. Early Signs of cooperate corruption and an HR team complicit or unwilling to challenge unethical middle management requests.

Advice to Management

Re-Align management decisions to be based on company needs and goals rather then personal feelings and desires. Company drifted away from core values during ERP upgrade (2013-2015), sadly resulting in low employee sentiment and higher work volumes. A deep review of salary employee true hours worked is needed, Many of us put in 60 hours a week with little relief or support from middle management.

Personally witness several unethical and unlawful practices by middle managers. Reported to HR management team who used the woulds "If you report this then GOJO will not honer any post employment agreement with you. including severance pay." Direct request to discuss issues with upper management were denied.

GOJO Response

Jun 29, 2017 – Compensation and Systems Senior Director

We appreciate candid feedback as it helps us improve. We are concerned to hear about the allegations you have raised following your employment. GOJO culture is founded on principles of integrity... More

6. "Industrial Engineer"

I worked at GOJO full-time

Pros

Friendly co-workers and clean workplace.

Cons

Poor follow through on lean recommendations.

7. "let us do our jobs..you hired us"

I have been working at GOJO full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great pay, great benefits, great retirement

Cons

Unrealistic expectations of management....Slow decision making....Buddy system of promotion

Advice to Management

Trust the people you hire, instead of micro managing them to death until they give up and become white collar clones

8. "Great Job"

Former Employee - Summer Student in Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Summer Student in Akron, OH

Pros

Great place to learn and grow.

Cons

Very busy and a lot to do.

9. "packaging intern"

I worked at GOJO full-time

Pros

i interned for 6 months they paid for my rent for an apartment as well as all utilities during my time there.

Cons

didint have an intern plan set up was just a helper for the team

"Sales"

I worked at GOJO full-time

Pros

Privately-held and family-owned with a very entrepreneurial culture. Innovative. Fast- paced.

Cons

Too many layers of management without needed staff to support. Overkill on reports/paperwork some with unreasonable response timelines. Administrative burden caused by customer programs. Long work hours.