General Re Reviews | Glassdoor

Franklin (Tad) Montross

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Intern"

I worked at General Re full-time

Pros

Nice People
    Organized Environment
    Building Amenities (Dry Cleaning, Gym, Cafeteria, Free Coffee)
    Discounted Lunch

Cons

Lower budget than previous years
    Old staff

2. "Direction for employees unclear"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at General Re full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people to work with and formerly a great company

Cons

Many in the dark about job stability

3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Vice President in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Vice President in Stamford, CT

I have been working at General Re full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great training programs. There has historically been Low turnover for a reason. Bosses have mostly been reasonable, with one exception but that's a great record.

Cons

No free Coke products, which you naughty expect from a Berkshire owned company. Also no Pepsi products in site. I wonder why.

Advice to Management

Have a nice day and I hope the new management is wildly successful and make us all very comfortable and fulfilled.

"Innovative thinkers - stay away!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

I have been working at General Re (More than 5 years)

Pros

Generous compensation. Home office has post office, Starbucks, decent cafeteria, dry cleaning, gym on site. Bonus, 401K contribution structure, and vacation time are all great but that is being done away with soon by the new CEO.

Cons

Gen Re has a "country club" atmosphere, where everyone has been there for 20+ years and is incapable of thinking outside of their little bubble. This, combined with the fact that there is zero accountability, leads to an upper management that is incredibly resistant to any type of change.

This has also promoted an environment where everyone in senior management has only gotten there by being chummy with the good old boys for 20 years; people DO NOT get promoted on merit (despite their laughable "meritocracy" initiatives). If you have not been working there for a long time or you are young you will NOT be taken seriously.

In fact, they are notorious for firing progressive, smart people who think outside of the box because their ideas are not in line with those above them.

If you are a progressive thinker who has big ideas and thrives off changing businesses for the better, do not apply to this company. If you want to be on "easy street" and get promoted through becoming a sycophant for years and years then this may be the place for you.

Many, many employees were hopeful that with the new CEO this would change but it seems to be more of the same.

Advice to Management

Talk to employees who haven't been working there for 30 years to see what their ideas and thoughts are. Implement 360 reviews for managers (and actually read them!) to hold them accountable.

5. "Used to be an excellent company to work for...no more"

Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in Stamford, CT

I worked at General Re full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

None anymore.....everything that made you feel good about coming to work has been eliminated.....
    No stone unturned to save a nickel

Cons

layoffs, benefit reductions, bonus reductions, 401k reductions......morale in the tank.....staff development-not on the agenda. If there is anything still left to take away they'll find it...

Advice to Management

Too late....damage is done

"Working at Gen Re Life"

I have been working at General Re full-time

Pros

Global company with exceptional financial strength

Cons

Lack of career development opportunities and not competitive with compensation or some benefits/policies

"Company and culture being destroyed"

Current Employee - Underwriter in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Underwriter in Stamford, CT

I have been working at General Re full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very experienced underwriters across all divisions, stable, consistent approach, still feels like Sesame Street with everyone being nice.

Cons

CEO (Kara), Senior Management, no motivating from any managers, no direction, constant uncertainty, being destroyed bolt by bolt now that Ajit &Kara are running the group. They claim work-life balance but working from home is mostly frowned upon. This organization is stuck in the Stone Age without a roadmap to relevancy.

Advice to Management

If there's a plan, ROLL IT OUT! Managers are ineffective everywhere, they are attendance takers, they aren't drivers of the business.

8. "Used to be a great company to work for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

I worked at General Re full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

For more than 15 years, this was a great company to work for, benefits were good, culture was fantastic, management was knowledgeable if not a bit old fashion with an "old boys club" mentality.

Cons

A few years back, there was a manage shake up and the knowledgeable people were replaced and the groups restructured. Our new manager barely knew the department and had no idea what kind of work we did. She immediately made changes that were nonsensical and against our SOX controls, she told us all that we were expendable and easily replaceable. She began forcing out the older people and hiring recent college grads for higher salaries than the original staff. She isolated team members, called them out in meetings and made fun of them in front of the rest of the group. She complained about the way we dressed, where we shopped, and told an overweight employee that she needed to lose weight or would lose her job. When we tried to go to senior management, we were told that our manager's management style wasn't a concern and that if we were unhappy, we were all welcome to leave.

Advice to Management

Do more than send people to Stepping Up to Management. A one-week class isn't going to help managers learn how to lead. Stop looking to cut costs and actually look to her middle managers - money is wasted because no one is motivated and everyone is afraid for their job. Thankfully I got out.

9. "Vice President"

I have been working at General Re full-time

Pros

It's a good work/life balance with a lot of great people to work with.

Cons

Beaurocratic and a lot of initiatives put in place by home office.

10. "VP"

Current Employee - V Ice President in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - V Ice President in Stamford, CT

Pros

In the past a stimulating environment with good pay and benefits and flex time.

Cons

The future is very uncertain.