Genomic Health Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Genomic Health President & CEO Kim Popovits
Kim Popovits

Pros
Cons
  • less 401k match, salary not satisfactory (in 7 reviews)

• Sales (lack of leadership, no cohesion) (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Genomic Health full-time

Pros

Great community-driven culture that focuses on patient care, while still maintaining a positive and friendly work environment.
    Career-wise it's a great place to learn and grow. You can see examples from Accessioning, the Analytical Lab or Histology where people have been able to develop and take on new roles and responsibilities. I think this reflects very well on the company as well as the mentors we have in Leadership.

Cons

It might not be a good fit for people who like to remain static, as things are always evolving and improving.
    Changes and process improvements often require buy-in from several other groups, which can be difficult for people who come from jobs where you can make changes with little to no buy-in.
    The scope of technical work on the laboratory side is not as expansive as it might be in a Hospital, but that is simply the nature of the business.

Advice to Management

Continue to promote this positive work environment (people appreciate it!). Continue to focus on developing (and retaining) internal talent. Most of all, please continue to bring patient ambassadors to visit/speak. It's so important to maintain the connection to our patients, and nothing makes us happier than seeing someone who's life we were able to impact.

Mar 8, 2017 – Sr. Director Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your review. We're working on some new ways to develop employees and give them visibility on new internal opportunities. More on this soon!

2. "Good cause, struggling with execution"

Current Employee - Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Genomic Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Can be proud of what we do
    Good work life balance

Cons

Results are not the priority. Mediocre results are accepted.
    Project management, setting priorities, etc is a mess.

3. "Genomic Health - Diversity"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Genomic Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are lots of very talented people at Genomic Health; however, they are not decision makers.

Cons

Last year, an acquaintance who was considering a job opportunity with Genomic Health but she had doubts about the opportunities with Genomic Health for a woman of color so she wanted to know my experience while at Genomic Health. Did Genomic Health value diversity? Did Genomic Health fully and openly support a diverse workforce? What were the demographics of senior management? Was the diversity supported mainly in lower level positions? Did Genomic Health actively recruit a diverse workforce? If there were diverse employees, how long did they stay with Genomic Health? Were diverse employees welcomed and encouraged? Unfortunately, based on my experience, Genomic Health did a very poor job regarding diversity. However, I am sure the company and, specifically, HR would say they hire and promote a diverse workforce but, in my experience, that diversity was okay as long as it was in lower level roles and as long as you are quiet and compliant you will be tolerated.

There are almost no minorities in biotechnology. There is some diversity in biotech companies but many of those people are non – Americans. Also, if you are looking at diversity and discrimination in any company, you have to focus on who holds which positions. If most of your diversity is with the janitorial staff or the kitchen help, company policies clearly discriminate. Typically, there are very few minorities in senior roles at most companies and that is especially true at biotech companies. Talking about diversity and living diversity are two very different topics. Specifically, at Genomic Health, you can just look at the demographics of their directors and higher over the life of the company, they have always been almost exclusively Caucasian.

Genomic Health is largely indifferent to minorities especially if you are African American or Latino. Ideally, minorities are a quiet and compliant participant within the company. If you want to be anything more, you are considered a ‘problem’ even if your behavior is the same as any other employee. If you are Caucasian, you are considered competent, assertive and capable. If you are the wrong color and demonstrate those same characteristics, you are just wrong. Even if you are more knowledgeable, you are a liability. Even though I did not work in IT, I was at one of their meetings and saw this specific event unfold… A white male manager had been promoted into a position because he was an ‘expert’ in this area; however, during that meeting and over several years it was clearly evident that he had no expertise. When there were complaints from others who had to interact with that manager, human resources and senior management ignored the complaints. But this could never occur with a minority at Genomic Health because a minority would not have been promoted in the first place.

However, while at Genomic Health, I did encounter several diverse employees who were exceptional assets, their expertise proved to be their undoing – being the wrong color was a liability. Those people chose to leave or management decided they were not a good ‘fit’.

Company’s attitudes regarding diversity and discrimination have become so institutionalized and their behaviors are now disguised as standard business practices. Therefore proof of discrimination is at best ephemeral and is usually dismissed as a mistaken interpretation of the circumstances.

I understand that anecdotal observations are not always accurate but when these behaviors have continued over the life of a company, those companies do not want to change. It appears that the only way to force changes for these companies is through the legal system. Currently, there are plenty of laws regarding hiring practices but these are largely ignored and almost never enforced. Lawsuits seem to be a solution but there needs to be many more lawsuits. In addition, there needs to be very visible media coverage of financial settlements these companies incur from those lawsuits. At that point, the climate might improve.

Eventually I departed due to poor management and the lack of diversity was part of that poor management. In the end, my acquaintance decided that she would be more valued somewhere else. Based on my experience, I will never recommend Genomic Health. If you are a minority, Genomic Health should not be part of your career path.

Advice to Management

Companies (including Genomic Health) should also remember that in the not too distant future, the demographics of this country will change. All of those minorities will become the majority and the old majority will experience a much different environment. Equality is an American value and should not be an afterthought when it comes to any part of American life. Biotechnology companies do not appreciate this and are not preparing for a different future which is a strategic failure.

Apr 28, 2017 – Sr. Director Talent Acquisition

At Genomic Health, we strongly support a diverse workforce by cultivating an environment where women and minorities are supported in their career goals. It’s in our DNA as a culture and evidenced by ... More

5. "GHI is a fast-paced, exciting place to work"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Genomic Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Educational, friendly, positive, motivating, encouraging,

Cons

Not for the faint of heart--extremely fast-paced all the time--a bit unbalanced when it comes to life/work balance though taking breaks, taking on-campus courses, and taking advantage of health-minded activities is encouraged and promoted.

Mar 8, 2017 – Sr. Director Talent Acquisition

Thanks for taking the time to do a review and recognizing our positive culture.

"Histology - Great Department"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Genomic Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Histology Team is made up of very talented individuals, has a great team culture and Management Team is very nice and professional. We're very patient focused and provide great quality work. There are lots of opportunities for everyone to be engaged in goal projects in addition to the routine histology work to expand knowledge level and collaborate with others in the team. Also, what make the department so very special is the continued education series provided by histology team members, webinars or by our own doctors. In summary: it's a great department with a very positive team!

Cons

It's a large department and people who struggle to work in team environment could be challenged to adapt to the team culture in this department. Histology is constantly progressing and expectations are high, which could be challenging for someone who is only used to routine histology work and doesn't adapt easily to change or is not very flexible to changes.

Advice to Management

Continue to be innovative to stay competitive in the market!

"Overall the Company is Okay, Note that the HR department is trying to skew these Glassdoor reviews."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Genomic Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Clinical Lab (solid and well managed)
    Histo (solid and well managed)
    Development (seems fine)
    Biostats (seems fine -perhaps under compensated)
    Data Management (good team -uncompensated)
    Medical (seems fine)
    CEO (actually inspirational !)

Cons

IT (dangerously rogue, very political, top heavy)
    HR (too much cheer-leading and too little actual administration)
    Operations senior management (insular, out of touch)
    Sales (lack of leadership, no cohesion)

Advice to Management

HR has been encouraging hiring managers to go into Glassdoor to skew reviews. Instead, HR should be reviewing Glassdoor for uncomfortable truths. My job gives me a broad view across departments. I see a few key longstanding systemic (and very costly) issues that get swept under the rug year after year. Critical reviews in this forum are a goldmine of truth. I wish HR would collect and keep presenting these issues to our very insulated senior management. I say this because I love GHI’s and want it to succeed financially as well as live up to it's lofty ideals of "truth seeking, community and being ahead of the curve".

Sep 22, 2016 – Sr. Director Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your review. We're always looking for candid comments from employees, talking about pros and cons. That's how we can be aware of what is working and how we can improve the employee ... More

"Great Objectives / Lacking in Leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Altos Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Altos Hills, CA

I worked at Genomic Health (More than 3 years)

Pros

exceptional patient-focused and dedicated workforce at every level of the organization

Cons

lack of integrity and outdated management tactics demonstrated by some in certain commercial capacities

Advice to Management

get your house in order and clear out those who aren't compliance-worthy ASAP

9. "Genomic Health, Inc."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Genomic Health (More than a year)

Pros

Best-in-industry molecular diagnostic tests that are clinically actionable! Genomic Health is a pioneer in the molecular diagnostic space and flagship brand OncotypeDX has tremendous equity.

Cons

Non-sales jobs typically require a relocation to the Bay Area where cost of living can be prohibitive for those unaccustomed to the cost of living..

Advice to Management

I understand and appreciate the rationale for non-sales associates to be located in the home office but additional financial and life considerations to facilitate such a transition would be appreciated by new hires.

Sep 15, 2016 – Sr. Director Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your feedback on Genomic as a pioneer in this space! Also, we appreciate the feedback on work from home/remote. We do offer relocation assistance for some roles.

"Director"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Genomic Health (More than 5 years)

Pros

Love the product and true support for the patients who need these tests; the scientists in R&D, biotats, business development folks are top notch. Very caring colleagues & culture.

Cons

Long hours, changing priorities, short-term planning. Execs simplify many problems, or worse, zoom in to try to fix things they should let their managers manage. Many leaders outside product and business development are losing touch with business realities by being distanced from actual customers and their challenges.

Advice to Management

Walk around more and listen to employee challenges; recognize not just the successes, but the failures and learn from those failures as we risk repeating them; pay attention to who is getting the work done, not just to who is touting their strengths. Listen to your managers.

Jun 29, 2016 – Sr. Director Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your candid response. Developing our leaders is a big priority and will be critical to our success as we continue to grow.

"Sr. DevOps / Software Deployment/Configuration Management Engineer/Build & Release Manager"

Former Employee - Software Deployment/Configuration in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Software Deployment/Configuration in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Genomic Health (More than 3 years)

Pros

Innovative, Biotech industry which was very new to me, friendly environment, professionalism.

Cons

Not something that I could continue for too long due to the nature of the company itself, therefore decided it was time for change.