Genomic Health Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Genomic Health President & CEO Kim Popovits
Kim Popovits

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great culture, decent pay and benefits, good work/life balance, stable revenues (in 10 reviews)

• Good culture, fun team, good benefits (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • less 401k match, salary not satisfactory (in 7 reviews)

• Disconnect between "upper management" and CS management - CS management seems to rarely get what they ask for (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Opportunities for growth"

I have been working at Genomic Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Genomic Health is the first company I worked for after college and it's been a wonderful stepping stone in my career. I'm surrounded by colleagues I can learn from and have a boss that cares about my personal development. The company is always evolving that work isn't redundant and there is always new challenges. Excellent company culture and execs/management are welcoming and kind.

Cons

There is a wish for more perks - better carpool options, free meals, more team offsides.
    Five buildings makes it hard to travel from meeting to meetings.

Advice to Management

Keep having faith in your employees and trust them to do good work.

May 25, 2017 – Sr. Director Talent Acquisition

Thanks for the review. Great input on providing more perks for employees! We're always looking for ways to improve the employee experience.

"Corporate Function"

I have been working at Genomic Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been at this place for close to 7 years and it is one of the best places to work for. The culture here has a community feel where everyone is friendly and respectful. Growth and development are encouraged and opportunities are given if you want to stretch your self. Also commute wise this is not too bad both from the peninsula or East Bay.

Cons

It would be beneficial to add benefits like education reimbursement, reimbursement of medical benefits if you don't sign up for them.

3. "Biggest Disappointment of my Career"

Former Employee - Regional Oncogenomic Liaison in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Regional Oncogenomic Liaison in Tampa, FL

I worked at Genomic Health (More than 3 years)

Pros

Test helps people navigate treatment for cancer.

Cons

The Standard of Care Test Oncotype DX for IBC is old. Over 10 years old in this industry makes it old technology and many more newer tests are now being embraced. I would never recommend this company to anyone and never recommend the test today in my job selling to medical oncologists. Most are using a newer test .

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate the company culture and try to embrace everyone instead of only looking for people that are clones of one another. There is a lot of cruel horrific gossip and harming people. You shouldn't encourage gossip about people then gang up on them. Its a very unprofessional type of a setting, laid back but yet very much like robots in the home office.

"Not the same company it once was"

I have been working at Genomic Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Salary and most benefits are competitive to industry standards, ability to work on exciting projects, breast test clear market leader

Cons

Any semblance of company structure, processes, procedures has gone out the window. Senior leadership is either too involved (not delegating) or completely absent. Questionable pipeline. Lots of good people left or are leaving after last bonus pay out.

Advice to Management

Listen to feedback from the culture surveys. Trust good employees to do their jobs, and support them.

"Working at GHI"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Genomic Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company culture, impactful products, and lots of perks and benefits like ESPP!

Cons

Commute to Redwood City and Traffic .

Jun 13, 2017 – Sr. Director Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your review. We do provide some nice incentives to make it easier to commute including a free shuttle that runs to and from Caltrain throughout the day.

"One of the best company I have worked for in my career"

I have been working at Genomic Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Depending on the department, there can be great flexibility in when and where you work. The corporate culture is very positive, and as employees you feel the company cares about what you think and feel. You have ownership of your work and are given a lot of freedom to take on new roles and responsibilities.

Cons

Because the work culture is very collaborative, sometimes it goes overboard and decisions can't be made without consulting many many people.

Advice to Management

Don't have double standards, lead by example in following company policies. If asking departments to cut budget don't turn around and spend unnecessary money elsewhere.

7. "Good cause, struggling with execution"

Current Employee - Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Genomic Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Can be proud of what we do
    Good work life balance

Cons

Results are not the priority. Mediocre results are accepted.
    Project management, setting priorities, etc is a mess.

"Genomic Health - Diversity"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Genomic Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are lots of very talented people at Genomic Health; however, they are not decision makers.

Cons

Last year, an acquaintance who was considering a job opportunity with Genomic Health but she had doubts about the opportunities with Genomic Health for a woman of color so she wanted to know my experience while at Genomic Health. Did Genomic Health value diversity? Did Genomic Health fully and openly support a diverse workforce? What were the demographics of senior management? Was the diversity supported mainly in lower level positions? Did Genomic Health actively recruit a diverse workforce? If there were diverse employees, how long did they stay with Genomic Health? Were diverse employees welcomed and encouraged? Unfortunately, based on my experience, Genomic Health did a very poor job regarding diversity. However, I am sure the company and, specifically, HR would say they hire and promote a diverse workforce but, in my experience, that diversity was okay as long as it was in lower level roles and as long as you are quiet and compliant you will be tolerated.

There are almost no minorities in biotechnology. There is some diversity in biotech companies but many of those people are non – Americans. Also, if you are looking at diversity and discrimination in any company, you have to focus on who holds which positions. If most of your diversity is with the janitorial staff or the kitchen help, company policies clearly discriminate. Typically, there are very few minorities in senior roles at most companies and that is especially true at biotech companies. Talking about diversity and living diversity are two very different topics. Specifically, at Genomic Health, you can just look at the demographics of their directors and higher over the life of the company, they have always been almost exclusively Caucasian.

Genomic Health is largely indifferent to minorities especially if you are African American or Latino. Ideally, minorities are a quiet and compliant participant within the company. If you want to be anything more, you are considered a ‘problem’ even if your behavior is the same as any other employee. If you are Caucasian, you are considered competent, assertive and capable. If you are the wrong color and demonstrate those same characteristics, you are just wrong. Even if you are more knowledgeable, you are a liability. Even though I did not work in IT, I was at one of their meetings and saw this specific event unfold… A white male manager had been promoted into a position because he was an ‘expert’ in this area; however, during that meeting and over several years it was clearly evident that he had no expertise. When there were complaints from others who had to interact with that manager, human resources and senior management ignored the complaints. But this could never occur with a minority at Genomic Health because a minority would not have been promoted in the first place.

However, while at Genomic Health, I did encounter several diverse employees who were exceptional assets, their expertise proved to be their undoing – being the wrong color was a liability. Those people chose to leave or management decided they were not a good ‘fit’.

Company’s attitudes regarding diversity and discrimination have become so institutionalized and their behaviors are now disguised as standard business practices. Therefore proof of discrimination is at best ephemeral and is usually dismissed as a mistaken interpretation of the circumstances.

I understand that anecdotal observations are not always accurate but when these behaviors have continued over the life of a company, those companies do not want to change. It appears that the only way to force changes for these companies is through the legal system. Currently, there are plenty of laws regarding hiring practices but these are largely ignored and almost never enforced. Lawsuits seem to be a solution but there needs to be many more lawsuits. In addition, there needs to be very visible media coverage of financial settlements these companies incur from those lawsuits. At that point, the climate might improve.

Eventually I departed due to poor management and the lack of diversity was part of that poor management. In the end, my acquaintance decided that she would be more valued somewhere else. Based on my experience, I will never recommend Genomic Health. If you are a minority, Genomic Health should not be part of your career path.

Advice to Management

Companies (including Genomic Health) should also remember that in the not too distant future, the demographics of this country will change. All of those minorities will become the majority and the old majority will experience a much different environment. Equality is an American value and should not be an afterthought when it comes to any part of American life. Biotechnology companies do not appreciate this and are not preparing for a different future which is a strategic failure.

Apr 28, 2017 – Sr. Director Talent Acquisition

At Genomic Health, we strongly support a diverse workforce by cultivating an environment where women and minorities are supported in their career goals. It’s in our DNA as a culture and evidenced by... More

"GHI is a fast-paced, exciting place to work"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Genomic Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Educational, friendly, positive, motivating, encouraging,

Cons

Not for the faint of heart--extremely fast-paced all the time--a bit unbalanced when it comes to life/work balance though taking breaks, taking on-campus courses, and taking advantage of health-minded activities is encouraged and promoted.

Mar 8, 2017 – Sr. Director Talent Acquisition

Thanks for taking the time to do a review and recognizing our positive culture.

10. "Work Atmosphere"

Pros

Great atmosphere and great people to work with

Cons

There can be some office politics involved when getting promoted