Geocent Reviews | Glassdoor

Robert A. Savoie

1. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Software Engineer-II in Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer-II in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at Geocent full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers, exciting contracts to work on with the ability to gain some real customer service/consulting experience. Great pay and benefits too.

Cons

Management doesn't communicate with engineers/dev's enough when bidding on job contracts.

2. "Excellent company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Geocent full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Loyalty, employee friendly, great reputation

Cons

struggling to maintain personal touches as growth occurs; Federal budget issues have been a significant issue prior few years

3. "Senior software developer"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Geocent full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company culture. Management is active in promoting growth and success of employees.

Cons

Hi expectation for superior work sometimes requires additional hours.

Advice to Management

keep investing in staff

4. "Good place to learn and develop your skills"

Former Employee - Systems Administrator III in North Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator III in North Charleston, SC

I worked at Geocent full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked here approximately 10 months, and i learned and accomplished more technically on integration projects than i have in my entire career in IT. My position provided a lot of leeway on tasking priorities and i felt valued and and an important piece of the team.

If you are a self starter and have the ability to learn as you go this is a great opportunity for someone looking to develop your skill sets and learn in a fast paced environment.

I never worked over 40 hours in a week, worked after hours once and it was planned in advance due to a cut-over of some servers on a live system it was what had to be done.

Cons

A lot of the senior level and highly skilled people that i learned and valued in mentor type roles have very high turn-over which lead to some instability of long term planning and technical leadership.

Contract instability and lack of communication in advance of what the project was going through.

Systems Administration and infrastructure design and development was very new to a lot of the technical leads so there was some growing pains, i suspect that a lot of that has been worked out by now though.

Pay was very low for the area and skill-set required to do the job, as much as i would of liked to of stayed i got a ~30k pay increase going somewhere else doing less, as much as i would of liked to stay its hard to not take a easy pay increase.

Advice to Management

have some sort of development and plan to retain employees in technical mid to senior level positions. Pay could be a lot better.
    Better ratio of technical employees to project managers, at some points there were more people talking about the work than doing it.

5. "I really liked my job at Geocent"

Former Employee - Administration in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Administration in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Geocent full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I found it a great place to work. Strong values. Executives and Managers are very accessible. The c-suite is very interested in retaining productive employees irrespective of the nature of a contracting house. Owners are investing back into the company. Good pay and benefits. Kind and supportive employees. Flexible workplace.

Cons

Management, in their positive desire to build strategy, throws out a lot of ideas to see what might stick. Laser focus on what you know the company will be then implement limited initiatives/goals and make them important to all managers. Train managers to give straight feedback to employees and document it.

Advice to Management

Finalize your vision. Let managers and employees know it so together they may focus on one or two initiatives to build the company you have envisioned. Invest in Management training and Mentors that promote alignment. Post jobs internally.

6. "Great Company, Great People"

Former Employee - Network Engineer in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Network Engineer in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Geocent (More than a year)

Pros

I got my start at Geocent. They helped me grow from a minor role within the company to a much more significant role with much greater opportunity and responsibility. Much of this was through active interest in my success from upper management, all the way up to the President. The exposure to a large variety of technologies and challenges allowed me to grow in a manner I wouldn't have in many other companies. The people were more like friends and less like coworkers. I am still able to reach out to people for advice.
    It's the only company I've ever worked for where I could walk into the offices of any of the executives for just about anything. The leadership is very available. The environment is very relaxed and friendly. The pay was market value or above. The benefits were extremely generous. A great 401k match, a great PTO policy with great flexibility, and good insurance. I have recommended this company to friends before, and will continue to do so.

Cons

Honestly, there aren't many cons to think of. I left on good terms, still interact with people from there, and would love to work there again.

Advice to Management

Just keep doing what you are doing and keep open lines of communication with the employees.

7. "Project Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Geocent full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great small company with progressive management team. Performers are rewarded and promoted. Entrepreneur attitude is encouraged and all team members are expected to include a business development perspective in all daily activities.

Cons

Most of business portfolio is federal government contracting.

"Corporate"

Former Employee - Louisiana in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Louisiana in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Geocent full-time

Pros

A great place to work Employee oriented company

Cons

Employees worry about projects ending

Advice to Management

Geocent does a great job of keeping and moving employees to other projects

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Geocent full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoy my job at Geocent and the people I work with. Geocent’s biggest asset is their employees. Geocent has done a great job, for the most part, in hiring bright and talented people. Also, the leadership team at Geocent is comprised of very smart, hardworking people that truly care about their employees. A few times a year Geocent employees are ask to take anonymous surveys which allows us the freedom to express what we think is good and things that we feel could be improved on. The best thing about this process is that our leadership hears what we have to say and does their very best to make improvements and adjustments to better the company.

Cons

Employees sometimes feel that their job security is a little uncertain when projects are coming to an end. The company needs to do a better job at making employees aware of the upcoming new projects that they will likely be re-assigned to once their project is complete.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing by hiring the best people and continue to make the employees a top priority.

"Project Manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Geocent (Less than a year)

Pros

Employees were great to work with.

Cons

Certain decisions are made without involving the key people.