GlobalGiving Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.6
Mari Kuraishi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • It is also great to see that GlobalGiving is genuinely concerned with the professional development of its interns (in 6 reviews)

• Flexible, empowering, great learning environment (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Not much opportunity for full time work after internship (in 5 reviews)

• Many staff choose to overwork themselves, though management tries to promote work life balance (in 3 reviews)

"Passionate, Supportive, and Innovative Working Environment"

I worked at GlobalGiving full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

GlobalGiving was a fantastic place to work! Here are just a few reasons why:
    - It is made up of talented people that are passionate about achieving the organization's mission to help community-based organizations increase their impact.
    - Staff at all levels are challenged to question the status quo, think big, and experiment with new ideas.
    - The organization is constantly evaluating ways to be better, work smarter, and achieve more.
    - It's a great learning environment with opportunity for professional development.
    - The office is colorful and casual and has an open floor plan, which makes conversation and collaboration easy and organic.
    - There are lots of opportunities to work with and engage directly with leadership.
    - Leadership regularly assesses the satisfaction, needs, and wants of staff and makes corresponding adjustments to benefits, working conditions, and strategic direction.

Cons

- As a non-profit organization filled with passionate go-getters, team members can be stretched thin and expected to play multiple roles.
    - Leadership does not always model great work/life balance, consequently staff members feel that they need to always say "yes" to new opportunities, even when their plates are full.
    - Because GlobalGiving feels like a family, there's a tendency to keep team members that may not be a good fit. As a result, others may have to pick up the slack.

2. "Great place to kickstart a career"

Former Employee - Partner Services Team Fellow in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Partner Services Team Fellow in Washington, DC

I worked at GlobalGiving full-time (More than a year)

Pros

THE PEOPLE! The people who work here are some of the best people I've met ever in my life.

The mission of the organization is great and GG does a good job to keep things mission and values focused.

I started here as an intern while in college and was brought on full time when I graduated as a Fellow. I feel like I was able to learn a lot of really valuable skills working here, and I really appreciated all the guidance and mentor ship I received from not only my direct supervisors, but from those on the executive team and elsewhere in the organization. I was able to learn the type of work culture and management style I work best with.

Very data driven and metrics based.

The Partner Services Team was the team I was on and I can't say enough nice things about them. Great team, great management, great educators for those new to the workforce. I wouldn't be where I am today without them!

Cons

The work can be repetitive at times. Customer service can sometimes be difficult because sometimes people get angry, bad connections, language barriers, etc. High volume of work, so there is some burn out.

I applied for cross pod/team position while a fellow and felt that my interview process was very dragged out and lengthy--especially considering I had worked at the org for about a year and a half at that point--I interviewed with about 8 people--nearly every person on that team and a few others from other teams-- and everyone asked me basically the same questions and I was still turned down. I'm not upset I was turned down, because now I realize the job wasn't a good fit for me, but I do feel as if my time was not valued during the interview process considering it would have been an internal hire. I felt very strung along the entire time which was disappointing to see since I was literally working there during the entire process.

Advice to Management

I really don't have much to offer in terms of advice because I had a great experience working at GG. I gained a lot of skills and experience working here and a lot of that is in part due to the management at GG. Keep it up!

"Great place to work"

I have been working at GlobalGiving full-time

Pros

* Talented and kind co-workers
    * Great office and location
    * Lots of vacation time
    * Free sodas!
    * Ability to try out new ideas and make an impact

Cons

* Resource constraints and limited budget
    * Can be slow for the organization to make big decisions

Advice to Management

Figure out more ways for people to feel like they have ownership over priorities and present a clear roadmap without getting bogged down with more meetings

4. "Great experience"

Pros

Interesting platform, great work culture, busy and committed to excellence

Cons

They hire a ton of interns so don't expect a full time offer.

Advice to Management

None

5. "A great place to work in DC"

Pros

Awesome work culture even better colleagues. The people here truly care about you and not just about getting the work done.

Cons

The growing pains of an organization are obvious such as understaffing on certain teams, but I have no doubt that these will be ironed out in the next few years.

"Great culture with room for growth."

I have been working at GlobalGiving full-time

Pros

You are invested in personally and professionally. You're recognized for your accomplishments. You work alongside people that wholeheartedly believe in the mission. There's a lot of collaborative spirit and people want to you achieve your goals. You can determine your own hours and schedule. Nice office that's metro accessible.

Cons

There's no turnover because people enjoy their jobs, but this leads to the same processes being used over and over again. Just because something worked 4 years ago, doesn't mean it's the same way now. I also believe the "fail forward" mentality might lead to complacent-ness.

Advice to Management

Look in more diverse areas for your future employees, go beyond traditional "diversity" and think of it in more unique ways, i.e. socioeconomics, culture, and personality. Put less cooks in the kitchen for the hiring process. Support more cross-team collaboration and let teams share out what they're working on regularly so everyone is "in the know" about it. Be unafraid to try new things.

7. "Must love cats (and/or good people + causes)"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Solid bunch of people, great cause. The company values actually mean something. And there's an email group dedicated entirely to cats.

Cons

Low pay, slow to implement change

8. "Awesome Office Culture!"

Pros

The work culture is awesome. It is very open, everyone is constantly learning and wanting to make the organization better.

Cons

Everyone works really hard and sometimes that means staying late to get a big project done.

9. "GlobalGiving is my second family"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at GlobalGiving full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a recent post grad, moving to a new city with no friends of family can be really tough. Thankfully, it didn't take long for me to find my home away from home at 1110 Vermont. I love waking up every morning to come into work because I know I will be met with smiles and genuine interest in what I did over the weekend or how I am doing. Half the time it doesn't even feel like work. I just sit in an open office with all my friends trying to change the world.

Cons

As all nonprofits, sometimes we struggle with resources for larger projects and feature improvements to the platform and our services. As we grow i don't foresee this being a chronic issue.

"Best team, mission driven, fun!"

Pros

I loved working at GG. Every single person there is smart, creative and fun. The team is so innovative, so driven and everyone loves and believes in the mission. GG does right by people and good in the world.

Also in hindsight, GG did a phenomenal job of change management.

Cons

-honestly nothing that I can remember. We were in a pretty growing phase when I left.

Advice to Management

Keep your values alive!