GlobalGiving Reviews

Updated Jun 1, 2020

4.7
GlobalGiving CEO Alix Guerrier (no image)
Alix Guerrier
Pros
  • "Welcoming warm work culture, you can always ask someone for help(in 6 reviews)

• "The mission of the organization is great and GG does a good job to keep things mission and values focused(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "As all nonprofits, sometimes we struggle with resources for larger projects and feature improvements to the platform and our services(in 8 reviews)

• "Their Internships are unfortunately unpaid(in 4 reviews)

1. "One of the Best Nonprofits"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at GlobalGiving full-time

Pros

After having seen how other nonprofits work, I'm continually impressed by how well run GlobalGiving is. The team is not only dedicated (which is common), but is incredibly open to feedback, self-improvement, and is willing to tackle hard problems (which is uncommon). Unlike some nonprofits that are just trying to focus on making their major donors happy and to sweep things under the rug, GlobalGiving is committed to doing what's right for its beneficiaries (e.g. the projects) it's helping and doing what's right for the staff. No place is perfect, but GlobalGiving seems to be about as close as you can get.

Cons

Sometimes there are long hours and last-minute projects that pop up (basically like every job these days)

2. "Great place"

Current Employee - Fellow

I have been working at GlobalGiving full-time

Pros

Innovative and uplifting place to work!

Cons

Steep learning curve for new hires

3. "Great for many"

Former Employee - Program Fellow

I worked at GlobalGiving full-time

Pros

One of the greatest work cultures to join early in your career. Very open and responsive leadership. Flexible in helping individuals work to their best styles. The organization has great potential.

Cons

The fellowship is just associate-level work and lacks the structure to support the professional growth of each fellow.

4. "Amazing culture and great mission"

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at GlobalGiving full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some of the best people you will ever work with. Or just know if life period.

Cons

Lean organization trying to make an outsized impact can mean wearing lots of hats and working occasional long hours for some.

5. "Great Place to Work and Learn!"

Former Employee - Program Fellow

I worked at GlobalGiving full-time for more than a year

Pros

Welcoming, warm community. The staff is dedicated to helping fellows grow in their professional skills and offer many opportunities. You're not boxed in. The managers directly involved in the program are always open to suggestions and really want to see you grow.

Cons

Lines of professional and personal can cross sometimes. However, depending on the employee this may not be a bad thing. While at GlobalGiving, you're part of the family but the mission should never be forgotten. Very horizontal hierarchy which can be a good or bad thing.

6. "Amazing Job"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at GlobalGiving full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Working with some of the smartest and most driven people in the industry -Interacting with awe-inspiring nonprofits changing the world -A unique work culture where everyone works hard but we have lots of fun too

Cons

-As with any nonprofit, you are required to wear a lot of hats. Multi-tasking is a must!

7. "Disrupting development and philanthropy"

Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at GlobalGiving full-time for more than a year

Pros

GlobalGiving has an important mission, great workplace culture, and very flexible opportunities including the ability to work remotely. I also love that staff can participate in field travel and that staff who have spent years at the organization can take sabbaticals!

Cons

Our work is important to thousands of nonprofits so while the culture doesn't encourage behavior that results in burnout, some staff may be overworking themselves. It is rare for folks to retire or leave, especially when they can just work remotely, which means there aren't as many opportunities for promotion.

8. "Senior Associate"

4.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at GlobalGiving full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great culture and people! Supports innovation, ideas, and learning.

Cons

Definitely more than a 40 hour work week. Expect to work long hours, evenings, and weekends. Those who commit to this will do well socially in the organization.

"Great place to kickstart a career"

4.0
    Former Employee - Partner Services Team Fellow in Washington, DC

I worked at GlobalGiving full-time for more than a year

Pros

THE PEOPLE! The people who work here are some of the best people I've met ever in my life. The mission of the organization is great and GG does a good job to keep things mission and values focused. I started here as an intern while in college and was brought on full time when I graduated as a Fellow. I feel like I was able to learn a lot of really valuable skills working here, and I really appreciated all the guidance and mentor ship I received from not only my direct supervisors, but from those on the executive team and elsewhere in the organization. I was able to learn the type of work culture and management style I work best with. Very data driven and metrics based. The Partner Services Team was the team I was on and I can't say enough nice things about them. Great team, great management, great educators for those new to the workforce. I wouldn't be where I am today without them!

Cons

The work can be repetitive at times. Customer service can sometimes be difficult because sometimes people get angry, bad connections, language barriers, etc. High volume of work, so there is some burn out. I applied for cross pod/team position while a fellow and felt that my interview process was very dragged out and lengthy--especially considering I had worked at the org for about a year and a half at that point--I interviewed with about 8 people--nearly every person on that team and a few others from other teams-- and everyone asked me basically the same questions and I was still turned down. I'm not upset I was turned down, because now I realize the job wasn't a good fit for me, but I do feel as if my time was not valued during the interview process considering it would have been an internal hire. I felt very strung along the entire time which was disappointing to see since I was literally working there during the entire process.

Continue reading

"Passionate, Supportive, and Innovative Working Environment"

I worked at GlobalGiving full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

GlobalGiving was a fantastic place to work! Here are just a few reasons why: - It is made up of talented people that are passionate about achieving the organization's mission to help community-based organizations increase their impact. - Staff at all levels are challenged to question the status quo, think big, and experiment with new ideas. - The organization is constantly evaluating ways to be better, work smarter, and achieve more. - It's a great learning environment with opportunity for professional development. - The office is colorful and casual and has an open floor plan, which makes conversation and collaboration easy and organic. - There are lots of opportunities to work with and engage directly with leadership. - Leadership regularly assesses the satisfaction, needs, and wants of staff and makes corresponding adjustments to benefits, working conditions, and strategic direction.

Cons

- As a non-profit organization filled with passionate go-getters, team members can be stretched thin and expected to play multiple roles. - Leadership does not always model great work/life balance, consequently staff members feel that they need to always say "yes" to new opportunities, even when their plates are full. - Because GlobalGiving feels like a family, there's a tendency to keep team members that may not be a good fit. As a result, others may have to pick up the slack.

Found 27 reviews