GlobalGiving Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mari Kuraishi

1. "GlobalGiving is my second family"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at GlobalGiving full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a recent post grad, moving to a new city with no friends of family can be really tough. Thankfully, it didn't take long for me to find my home away from home at 1110 Vermont. I love waking up every morning to come into work because I know I will be met with smiles and genuine interest in what I did over the weekend or how I am doing. Half the time it doesn't even feel like work. I just sit in an open office with all my friends trying to change the world.

Cons

As all nonprofits, sometimes we struggle with resources for larger projects and feature improvements to the platform and our services. As we grow i don't foresee this being a chronic issue.

2. "Must love cats (and/or good people + causes)"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Solid bunch of people, great cause. The company values actually mean something. And there's an email group dedicated entirely to cats.

Cons

Low pay, slow to implement change

3. "Inspiring internship at open-minded nonprofit"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Working with such friendly and open-minded people has definitely been one of the best things about working at GlobalGiving. Interns are treated equally and listened to. They are given much ability and flexibility to contribute in whatever shape or form - the sky's the limit.
    Interesting events are always happening around the office and it feels great to be able to contribute to the cause.

Cons

Perhaps sometimes too accommodating. Some may find that they are more motivated in a more pressured environment.
    Otherwise nothing else that any other similarly positioned company wouldn't face.

Advice to Management

Could do with a greater digital database of learning resources for new workers to assist in orientation process.

Apr 7, 2015 – Chief Product Officer

Good point about the database of learning resources. We'll see what we can do to round-out our Confluence wiki of training materials.

5. "Marketing Internship with a Growing Nonprofit"

Current Employee - Marketing Intern in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Marketing Intern in Washington, DC

Pros

GlobalGiving’s staff is incredibly inclusive of interns and generally are so grateful for the work we do. We work in an open office so accessing your boss is easy, and there is a general culture of transparency and celebrating success.

During my mid term review I told my (incredible) supervisor that the work I was doing was getting a bit stale and that I would love some longer term projects. Additionally, I wanted to hear more about the work that our team was doing so that I could gain perspective on our whole marketing strategy. Two days later she and my other supervisor presented a list of projects they’d brainstormed for me to do and asked me to pick which I wanted to do. Our entire team also changed the weekly check in meetings to a day that I worked so that I could be more in the loop.

Really phenomenal culture towards interns.

Cons

-I’m not sure how applicable the skill-set interns learn here is for other employment.
    -The work may not be challenging enough for some interns.
    -Not much opportunity for full time work after internship
    -People are only friendly 95% of the time. The other 5% of the time they’re making a beeline for the free food corner because someone made cookies.

Advice to Management

Make the information shared during intern training accessible in a digital form. I missed a few days and definitely missed some cool opportunities (like the individual research projects and access to Rosetta Stone) because of it.

6. "Summer Internship at GlobalGiving"

Current Employee - Strategic Partner in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Strategic Partner in Washington, DC

I have been working at GlobalGiving (Less than a year)

Pros

GlobalGiving is an amazing organization. I have had several internships with other nonprofits, and they were all more or less flaky... GlobalGiving is a very professional organizations that takes its interns seriously. I felt like I was part of the team.
    - Beautiful office in a great location
    - Great staff
    - Very professional

Cons

My experience was great. I do not see any cons. It is the best nonprofit I could have ever worked for.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. Thank you for caring for your interns. I am confident GlobalGiving is going down the right path.

7. "Listen, act, learn. Repeat?"

Current Employee - Program Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at GlobalGiving part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

When I first started, one of my bosses looked me in the eye and told me that this would be unlike any internship I would experience. Of course she was completely correct. The experiences gained here are unlike anything I had been exposed to professionally before. The staff here recognized that and made sure that I was never lost. They were supportive of my ideas and truly did want to know what I had to say. If I had an idea or wanted to try something, they said yes, and actually valued my ideas and input. I felt needed and most importantly, I felt wanted. I cannot say how much that meant.
    Another thing is that GlobalGiving provides its interns with professional development tools and encourages them to participate in all the staff meetings and events.
    I got to experience the ebb and flow of a growing and succeeding non-profit. I learned how to recognize my skills, and capitalize on them.

Cons

Well, obviously the fact that it is an unpaid position is less than ideal, but that aside I only have a few suggestions. There is a GlobalGiving language and there isn't really a great dictionary. Being an online org, there are many tools for metrics, volume, organizing, and just general operations. You are pretty thrust into it all with the expectation that you pick up the jargon along the way. It is very difficult to try and have a conversation about something very specific that has an even more specific name. I felt it sometimes limited my ability to act quickly and know the best way to do something.

Advice to Management

There were times, when getting adjusted to the work, that I was supposed to be using tools that I actually had no idea how to use. I could usually access my supervisor, but sometimes I just remained lost, that was a little discouraging. You had us go through about a week and a half of training sessions, these were tedious and difficult to maintain attention. I get that it is necessary, but I think it could be consolidated more.
    Maybe, take all of the platforms you use (7geese, optimizely, salesforce, etc.) and explain their exact function and which teams and people will use them most.
    Also, I would consider making team divides a little more transcendent. While GG did a great job offering cross-team projects to interns, I felt it difficult to get an individual project started. Mostly because I didn't know what the biggest need was and secondly because I didn't know who to interact with.

Jul 1, 2015 – Chief Product Officer

Based on this and other feedback, we've revamped the training process to try to consolidate it more. We've also made some changes to our internship program and migrated to a year-long Fellowship ... More

8. "Incredibly rewarding internship experience at GlobalGiving."

Current Employee - Program Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at GlobalGiving full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

GlobalGiving staff are the best of the best. Working at this organization was a pleasure each day to be around such intelligent, forward-thinking, innovative, and passionate colleagues. They truly embody GG's core values: always open, committed to wow, never settle, listen/act/learn/repeat. As for being an intern, the staff really took the time to invest in training our cohort for success through a comprehensive orientation and ongoing learning opportunities (brown bags, special events, film screenings, etc.). Interns were given meaningful projects and played important roles in facilitating the smooth-running of GlobalGiving. I helped amazing people around the world to fund their incredible projects--an experience I will never forget!

Cons

The only downside is this is an unpaid internship.

Advice to Management

I am so grateful for my experience at GlobalGiving and I really commend the management (and all staff members) for creating such a unique work culture. It's unlike anything else and I feel lucky to have been a part of it for a short time. My only suggestion would be to see if in the future you could arrange room in the budget for some type of small stipend for full-time interns. They really play important roles in helping to keep GlobalGiving up and running smoothly. It might be a greater incentive for applicants who'd love to work with the organization but cannot financially do so without pay.

Jul 1, 2015 – Chief Product Officer

Thanks! Based on this (and other) feedback, we've launched a paid fellowship program that builds on the success of our internships and improves upon it by making it a paid, year-long position to ... More

9. "Passionate, Supportive, and Innovative Working Environment"

I worked at GlobalGiving full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

GlobalGiving was a fantastic place to work! Here are just a few reasons why:
    - It is made up of talented people that are passionate about achieving the organization's mission to help community-based organizations increase their impact.
    - Staff at all levels are challenged to question the status quo, think big, and experiment with new ideas.
    - The organization is constantly evaluating ways to be better, work smarter, and achieve more.
    - It's a great learning environment with opportunity for professional development.
    - The office is colorful and casual and has an open floor plan, which makes conversation and collaboration easy and organic.
    - There are lots of opportunities to work with and engage directly with leadership.
    - Leadership regularly assesses the satisfaction, needs, and wants of staff and makes corresponding adjustments to benefits, working conditions, and strategic direction.

Cons

- As a non-profit organization filled with passionate go-getters, team members can be stretched thin and expected to play multiple roles.
    - Leadership does not always model great work/life balance, consequently staff members feel that they need to always say "yes" to new opportunities, even when their plates are full.
    - Because GlobalGiving feels like a family, there's a tendency to keep team members that may not be a good fit. As a result, others may have to pick up the slack.

10. "Great place to work"

I have been working at GlobalGiving full-time

Pros

* Talented and kind co-workers
    * Great office and location
    * Lots of vacation time
    * Free sodas!
    * Ability to try out new ideas and make an impact

Cons

* Resource constraints and limited budget
    * Can be slow for the organization to make big decisions

Advice to Management

Figure out more ways for people to feel like they have ownership over priorities and present a clear roadmap without getting bogged down with more meetings

11. "Great experience"

Pros

Interesting platform, great work culture, busy and committed to excellence

Cons

They hire a ton of interns so don't expect a full time offer.

Advice to Management

None