Grid Dynamics Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Leonard Livschitz

Pros
Cons
  • Sometimes it is hard to keep work-life balance but it is not a problem when you have exciting projects and tasks (in 6 reviews)

• Low salary level for relocation (in 4 reviews)

"Fair deal. Result depends on what you are looking for and what do you really need"

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Grid Dynamics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pros are results of the company's history and area of activity

- Company is stretching between multiple countries (headquarters in Bay Area, offshores in Russia, Ukraine and Poland), clients locations (California, Texas etc), clients (eCommerce, Health, Banking etc.), and operation types (from product to bodyshop). So, if you really know what you want - you may find opportunity.

- Projects are different, from really bad to technically interesting. It's your task to choose a project which is good for you and migrate to it. Management usually supportive, if you know what you really want.

- Well, I can say many negative, I may even hate management on some things, but I respect them and I'll explain why. If you've made a deal, and they made a hard promise - they will do this. I can't complain on the any financial or document-related agreements. Usually it's hard as a hell to get the final promise, but once you've got it, you can trust this.

- Company is above of many of exUSSR service companies on the salary level.

- You'll find a lot of extremely professional colleagues here. I'm talking not only about the level, but about approach.

- They do Green Card and if you'll ping lawyers (3rd party firm) and keep an eye - you'll get it in time.

- No complaints on work-life balance. Overtimes are NOT the part of the culture in general.

- Management is open for discussions. No any guarantees that this discussion will change anything, but that's fair.

Cons

Cons are also derived from the company history and area of activity

- Some projects are boring, tough and not interesting.

- Management will not keep an eye on your satisfaction all the time. If you unhappy and you said this to management, most of the time this will change nothing. If you know what you want to do, where and how - management will support. So, don't bring the problem, bring the solution. If you are not proactive - you may suffer.

- Compensation level is below Bay Area for experienced engineer. But they have offshore and IMHO market is a bubble now.

- As I said, management can be trusted, if made a promise. The real problem is to get such promise, because usually you'll get just declaration of intentions.

- The reverse side of the promise culture is your promises and commitments. They are informal and can't be enforced, but that's the part of the company's culture. So, if you've provided commitment to stick to some project, you'll have moral obligations, even if the project is really bad. It's on you, will you break such commitment or not. Nobody will say you a single bad word, but you'll feel ashamed. That's what any management know how to do and this management know in details :) Anyway, fair deal IMHO.

Advice to Management

Well, I have no advices to management, how to run the company.

I have an advices on how to run the company in a way, that company will be a good place for me, but I'm running technical things, not business.

Company is growing and successful. This means that management's tradeoffs was set correctly.

"DevOps Engineer"

Former Employee - Devops Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Devops Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Grid Dynamics (More than a year)

Pros

Travel to US
    Good onsite/offshore team o DevOps
    Chance to learn and use in live a lot of new technologies

Cons

Management
    Low salary
    Perfomance review organization
    Unclear personal growth and carrer development opportinities ( it's very depends on your account and specific project)

Advice to Management

Be smart and keep motivate your team

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - QA Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - QA Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Grid Dynamics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Very intelligent engineers
    - Many clients that have a lot of interesting and different work for you
    - Plenty of great opportunities for those who is willing to develop their skills and knowledge
    - The company helps employees to grow and gain new knowledge / learn new technologies
    - Friendly and trustful atmosphere

Cons

Lack of stability which is common for all service companies.

"Disappointing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Grid Dynamics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting space and had lots of potential, very smart people, and big name clients that they've had, sometimes for many years.

Cons

Squanders potential with churn at the executive level which leads to changing priorities. There is a preference for Russian and Ukrainian born staff so don't expect a very culturally diverse workplace.

Advice to Management

Watch language. Nobody likes listening to chauvinistic language regardless of who it is directed to. Watch behavior towards non-Russian employees. Diversity can really strengthen the company but should not be treated as second class citizens.

"gd"

Current Employee - Delivery Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Delivery Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Grid Dynamics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great engineers. Very smart people.

Cons

Top management is very strange. Low salary.

Sep 12, 2016 – Senior Marketing Manager

First off, let us say thank you for your long service with us! We are pleased to see your high evaluation of our team as both experienced and culture-sensitive professionals. We believe the key to ... More

7. "Good engineering complany"

Current Employee - Development Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Development Manager in Menlo Park, CA

Pros

- Multinational team
    - High efficient engineers

Cons

- Not certain career path
    - Lack of proper people management

Jul 11, 2016 – Marketing Director

Fabulous feedback, thank you for taking the time. We are introducing new initiaitives globally to provide clarity as to career path and expectations and look forward to your next review.

"Russian bodyshop"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Easy interview. Mac Book Pro laptop.

Cons

Beware: they promise you that they have a lot of work but if client cancels you on the project they will not keep you on payroll but fire you immediately with a minimal severance. Benefits are below average - you basically work for cash and health insurance.
    Company does not have it's own product but completely depends on whims of their clients.

Advice to Management

be honest

Jul 22, 2016 – Senior Marketing Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback! Great to know you liked your laptop. The interview procedure at Grid Dynamics is standard for all employees. If you’ve found it easy, it has ideally matched your ... More

"As good as services companies go"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Grid Dynamics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

— The best thing about working in a services company is the opportunity to work with various technologies, business problems and organizations. No other business provides this kind of horizontal mobility. Grid Dynamics works for the best, and over the years it gave its employees to work for companies such as eBay, PayPal, Microsoft, Yahoo, Seagate, Cisco, Google.

— For young technical professionals, Grid is a great career-builder. One can learn and experience so much more than in a single-minded company. Many of Grid engineers eventually graduated to work for Google, Facebook, LinkedIn etc. Most management promotions have been done from within and the attrition rate is low.

— As far as retail and eCommerce goes, Grid is the best engineering firm hands down. Retail CTOs looking to compete with Amazon are asking for Grid by name and the demand is going up every year.

— Grid is actively investing in technology to stay on top. There's a funded strategic R&D group as well as new investments in solution marketing.

Cons

— As good as a place Grid can be for young techies, it can be brutal for others. Management positions are wholly dominated by young Russian males. Righteousness and "truth" is put above professionalism and work environment. Time and time again mature professionals would join the company only to quit in six months.

— For most of the middle management, it's their first management gig. The company is pretty much run by offshore engineering with little respect for the stated company strategy and direction. It does not help that most of the executive team was replaced in the past year. Do not expect much guidance in your career progression, you'll have to figure it out yourself.

— Benefits are non-existent compared to other companies in Bay Area. No match, rudimentary parental leave and vacation time (which you won't have time to take anyways). Coast to coast and international flights at the cheapest fare.

— Work-life balance is non-existent: prepare for daily calls early in the morning and late in the night, working through week-ends, last-minute deliverables that are due next morning.

— Strong focus on eCommerce means other verticals are neglected. If you are not excited about retail, you'll have a bad time.

Advice to Management

— Shift focus from profitability to purpose.
    — Invest into brand perception, both for the customers and the employees.
    — Stop calling people "resources" — at least to their face.

"The excitement of a start-up with the stability of a maturing company with major eCommerce clients."

Current Employee - California in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - California in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Grid Dynamics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Dynamic environment, new experiences and opportunities each day
    -Genius-level engineering staff; amazing to learn from and work with
    -New professional executive with experience and drive to take Grid to the next level
    -Positive outlook for the future; between the market and our strategies, we will stay one step
     ahead of technology.
    -Excellent health benefits and a company that really cares about you as a person and your
      professional development. Semi-annual review process is a priority with most reviews and
      meetings completed within the due date.
    -Although we are over 350 people world-wide, In the US we have a nice family feel.

Cons

-As Grid is a major consultant in eCommerce, and has such talented engineers, we are
      extremely particular about hiring and can always use more amazing engineers! I will say,
      at least once we find the right person, we move fast!

Advice to Management

-Continue listening to our employees and shaping Grid into a mature eCommerce leader! Keeping the human element (care) while growing can be tough but hang in there and I am certain we will retain that wonderful sense of morale and family we currently have! Empower as many people as possible to care for our group, especially our talented engineers who make Grid what it is...a superior company to be part of!

"Lacks Professionalism"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Grid Dynamics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Growing company
    Good off shore team

Cons

Very unprofessional
    Higher management need to change their attitude towards employees
    Absolutely no work life balance.

Advice to Management

Concentrate on hiring quality, than just people who are ready to work on low wages.