Hanger Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Hanger President & CEO Vinit K. Asar
Vinit K. Asar

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good system within a large company with good benefits" (in 14 reviews)

• "Great benefits, supportive team environment, and plenty of opportunities to make an impact" (in 6 reviews)

Cons

1. "Engaging and rewarding with opportunity for growth"

Former Employee - Clinic Manager in Rock Hill, SC
    Former Employee - Clinic Manager in Rock Hill, SC

I worked at Hanger (Less than a year)

Pros

Working at Hanger, as with any orthotic/prosthetic device provider, you have the opportunity to work directly with the people whose lives you will positively impact on a daily basis. Unlike some of the independent companies, Hanger has invested in the future and it shows in their senior leadership. There are no shortage of opportunities at Hanger for someone who is willing to work hard and help teammates along the way. My time at Hanger was a breath of fresh air and I only wish that I would have joined this team sooner.

Cons

Hanger is a big company and some who come from a small company mentality might find the structure of Hanger to be abrasive. I felt just the opposite and soon found that the structure challenged me to be more a part of the team environment.

Advice to Management

Continue to promote your own. Show employees how to set, analyze, and reach their goals.

2. "Quality Clinicians"

I worked at Hanger full-time

Pros

Supportive clinician collaboration and support.

Cons

Push for exceptional care can make for long days.

3. "Enrollment Specialist"

I have been working at Hanger full-time

Pros

The environment is very friendly and a great area to meet people and hang out at in town. The vibe in the building is everyone is here to help each other.

Cons

I have not experienced any so far.

Advice to Management

Great at making employees feel like part of a family. Snacks and drinks are always helpful to get you through a long billing day.

4. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Hanger full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company, learned a lot

Cons

downsized, acquired other companies too often

Advice to Management

none

5. "Service Desk"

I worked at Hanger full-time

Pros

Great team environment at the service desk. The training was efficient and were able to lean on your teammates in a time of need.

Cons

Management was ok at best. At the time they had a young manager which seemed to play favorites.

Advice to Management

Overall you had one of the best environments I worked in, keep building on that.

"Administrator"

I worked at Hanger full-time

Pros

The people I worked with were nice

Cons

I personally was spread very thin. If someone was absent, I was sent all over the region to cover, some places over an hour and half commute. I was basically doing a managers position for a year without the tittle or pay.

Advice to Management

properly staff your offices

7. "Great place to learn"

Former Employee - Certified Prosthetist Orthotist in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Certified Prosthetist Orthotist in Greenville, SC

Pros

Collaborative environment for clinical staff and secure way to get started in the field.

Cons

In the end you are a cog in the wheel, but no different than any large company.

Advice to Management

Don't repeatedly create history around employees. Just move forward and work with what you have.

"Worst. Job. Ever."

Former Employee - Orthotic Fitter in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Orthotic Fitter in Nashville, TN

I worked at Hanger full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work closely with patients , doctors and nurses
    Paid vacation
    Paid sick time
    Decent benefits
    Doctor office hours, no weekends
    You can see how resourceful and self sufficient you are because management will be of no help

Cons

Pay not worth the amount of work you’re expected to
    do or the workplace drama you’re expected to tolerate Terrible, inattentive and unsupportive management
    Management are bullies that encourage workplace gossip
    Plays favorites
    Zero accountability
    Zero leadership
    Uneducated staff in management
    There is no training, you’re expected to just pick up as you go
    Disjointed company
    Inefficient communication skills
    They will leave you hanging and leave you out to dry
    No one takes ownership, patients are made to suffer because of it and work gets backed up
    Any disagreement with management results in some sort of retaliation (suspension / write up)
    Management discourages you from contacting HR
    HR department is in cahoots with management so there’s no confidentiality there or protection
    If you call HR to advise them of an issue they will listen to your complaint then go straight to management and tell them what you said, as a result, you will be reprimanded for contacting HR
    There will be no resolution and you will never get a call back
    Management not supportive and often times doesn’t even know what’s going on in clinic or with patients
    Untimely responses to real time problems (at least 1.5 week responses to urgent / time sensitive emails)
    Management lies and pits employees against one another
    Upper management gossips with your peers
    They treat clinicians as if they’re expendable
    No confidentiality in management, they will tell all your coworkers your business even if you’ve had a confidential, off site meeting
    You will not be provided the tools needed to successfully complete your job (I worked there for over a year and never had access to a printer, I work on a computer that requires documents to be printed daily)
    They have an “out of sight, out of mind” mindset
    Management will flat out ignore you (they instead encourage you to “blow them up” until they finally feel like responding—literally their words)
    Low retention rate (5 fitters in the last 4years)
    No communication when others are out and you have to cover multiple roles
    Not HIPAA compliant, they transmit sensitive patient information via pictures taken off an iPhone 5c
    No compensation for extra work they expect you to take on
    Stressful and distrustful work environment
    Rarely any relief for lunches or breaks
    Working for Hanger makes you feel like you’re in an abusive relationship

Advice to Management

Get better training so that you can actually manage
    others more effectively. Either that or resign and get managers in there that actually care about being a better representation of the company. Provide training to those coming in and don’t expect them to just know what to do. Grow up and stop gossiping / bullying your employees so that someone may actually want to work with your company long term. Stop playing favorites and letting some employees do the bare minimum while others put forth maximum effort. Stop retaliating against employees when there is any type of disconnect or disagreement, we are all adults. Let your focus be on what’s good for the patient, not SOLEY what will put money in your pockets. Become more involved in your employees day to day. In the description you noted frequent meetings with leadership and that is a flat out lie. Management is uninvolved making the communication and workflow difficult. There’s no reason management should be oblivious to procedures and policies that we as employees are expected to implement and execute. Follow through with what you say you’re going to do. Stop lying all the time about everything imaginable.

"Ungreatful overworked run"

Former Employee - Administrative in Naples, FL
    Former Employee - Administrative in Naples, FL

I worked at Hanger full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Learning what I learned from a knowledgable coworker who also left.

Cons

Everything got thrown on me as the only person working a 3 person job. They throw e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g on you, run. As if not having 8 arms was not enough the 30 IKS (India looking at USA Collections for you to correct even when they are wrong about the claim) only added more to the work of answering phones, building charts, prepping charts, confirming, changing, scheduling, rescheduling appts. Making hospital charts, dealing with patients, faxes, mail, ordering supplies, ordering forms, emails like forty a day. Making wips (work orders) updating work order status daily on about 60 to 120 plus patients, scanning insurance cards, verifying insurance, getting insurance authorizations, invoicing, posting payments, collecting payments, scanning checks, making bank deposits, working A/R. They had me alone doing all of this. A three person job. All it comes down to is their revenue.

Advice to Management

Drain the swamp and get all new leadership. Leadership milking the money dry throwing work on front desk admin already overworked staff.

"CPO"

Current Employee - CPO
    Current Employee - CPO

I have been working at Hanger full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fully paid education and professional fee reimbursement.

Cons

Upper management is currently pushing "Patient Focused" as one of our new core values. There are emails about it all the time. Never an actual policy regarding it though. Always new rules on how little you are allowed to spend on devices for your patients. I was told that if I wanted a bonus, which they tout as a big part of their competitive salary structure, I had to use only the cheapest and lowest quality products available.

Advice to Management

Put your money where your mouth is, or at least stop pretending you are doing the best for your patients.