HealthSmart Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.6
Daniel D. Crowley

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Middle management and below are mostly good, hard working people who just want to do their job, draw their salary and go home at the end of the day (in 3 reviews)

• The people you work with on a day to day basis are great, most policies are pretty relaxed and not strictly enforced, PTO is generous (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life balance is lacking, Benefits are okay, no 401k match (in 7 reviews)

• Felt like I was working just to put gas in the car and pay the health insurance (in 6 reviews)

1. "I have worked here more than 5 years."

I have been working at HealthSmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is room for advancement. I have been well compensated, PTO is very generous and my supervisor works with me in times of need.

Cons

I can't think of anything.

Advice to Management

Match for 401K would be nice.

"Provider Services Do Not Pay"

Former Employee - Provider Relations Representative in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Provider Relations Representative in Irving, TX

I worked at HealthSmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pro list can differ depending on what part of the organization you work in but globally the company does offer a very attractive benefits package for full time employees. The company has a very diverse culture, and maybe the biggest pro is that if you are new to the industry and or just starting your career there are opportunities to wear many hats and therefore grow your knowledge of the benefits industry.

Cons

HealthSmart at one point was one of the leaders in network leasing, TPA Business Operations, claims repricing and clearinghouse services. Now however the business has become very siloed internally and depending on the department the actual potential growth is extremely limited as they have stopped putting money into talent and instead use temporary employees to fill positions. Another blow that helped company moral crumble was moving exempt employees to hourly to avoid giving team members raises as well as to avoid having to pay over time.

Advice to Management

Empower your employees and trust in their experiences and knowledge as opposed to spending countless hours coming up with unstable workflows that will be changed before given a real chance to succeed.

3. "The more things change with this company, the more things stay the same,"

Pros

TPAs are interesting in general. There's a lot to learn. The PTO was always generous. The locations are pretty nice and office upgrades have been nice,

Cons

By cutting costs, they cut so drastically by getting rid of the best assets, the employees. Those of us left behind continue to pick up the slack. Also there's so many micro managers and that actually wastes time, because the employees are not trusted to do the jobs they were hired to do. In turn, a lot of the management is not trusted. The managers need both hard and soft skills training, which has been lacking for a long, long time, Also employee training is seriously lacking,

Advice to Management

Read the reviews and take action,

"Team Lead - Ancillary Finance"

I worked at HealthSmart full-time

Pros

Salary was decent and the benefits were okay, not outstanding.

Cons

Company culture in our location was pretty toxic. Didn't have any authority within the role

Advice to Management

Micromanaging needs to stop and you need to trust your employees to do the work. Also, the training needs an overhaul.

"Cutting Costs hurts employee trust"

I worked at HealthSmart full-time

Pros

Flexibility of work location. Highly experienced professionals in leadership.

Cons

Getting cheaper by cutting employees without getting better. Outsource heavy. Lack of synergy between departments and communication from senior leadership extremely poor.

Advice to Management

Figure out what you want this company to be and what kind of team members you want to have. Cut costs by cutting bad processes, not by cutting good people.

"Unorganized"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Irving, TX

I have been working at HealthSmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The PTO is good and they also work with you in times of need, really depending on your supervisor. Recognition in your role.

Cons

The compensation is noncompetitive especially considering noticeable differences regarding work ethics among you and your peers. The hours are OK as there is one set schedule for the call center position with no overtime. The company in itself is unorganized with just about everything from the Human Resources department to the Provider Relations, etc. Hardly room for advancement. You seek to learn more and move forward but they hold you back.

"Downhill"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

I worked at HealthSmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of my co-workers were genuinely honest and caring people. They made the day-to-day worth the struggle. I learned as much as possible, usually without help.

Cons

Management doesn't seem to care whose backside they're standing on in order to get ahead/look good to superiors. There is no recognition or acknowledgement.

Advice to Management

Talk to the people actually performing the work -- listen, understand, and get involved. Otherwise, you're in the way and wasting other people's time & money.

8. "Human Resources"

I have been working at HealthSmart full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

HealthSmart is a great company to work for. We have a great group of employees that are dedicated. The company is working hard to change our culture for all of our locations.

Cons

No cons at this time.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Current Employee in Charleston, WV
    Current Employee - Current Employee in Charleston, WV

I have been working at HealthSmart full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

* Professional, knowledgeable and friendly staff
    * Excellent opportunities for advancement
    * Top notch rewards and recognition program
    * Learning environment
    * Well developed Care Management and Wellness programs for employees & clients

Cons

Plenty of opportunities for hard workers!

10. "N/A"

I have been working at HealthSmart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company provides growth/advancement opportunities with friendly, realistic, transparent, hard working, intelligent individuals with aligned goals and drive for positive impact. Salary is competitive, PTO is generous, and employees are engaged.

Cons

The Health Care industry is ever changing and evolving to provide individual needs for unlimited conditions. With that in mind, must be able to adapt to change, be open-minded, and be ready to make a difference. Structure/processes need some re-vamping, updating, and consistency. No 401k match.

Advice to Management

-Team building exercises
    -Town Halls
    -Suggestion Box
    -Company Event(s):community engagements, charities, volunteering, 5k, family day/picnic, annual banquet, etc.
    -Increase/enhance ways to educate, empower, motivate, and share/spread positive experiences