Healthgrades Reviews

Updated May 2, 2021

Healthgrades CEO Rob Draughon
Rob Draughon
Pros
  • "Most people recognize that we are lucky to have excellent work life balance at this company(in 28 reviews)

• "Great people to work with, especially on the integrated marketing team(in 16 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Management: Upper management has built a culture of fear over the past year(in 16 reviews)

• "Currently understaffed which hinders on the work life balance(in 13 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Healthgrades and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great company

Apr 4, 2021 - Digital Analyst
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great management and an innovative company

Cons

None, best job I’ve ever had

Be the first to find this review helpful
    2. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Do not recommend - rotten on the inside

Apr 22, 2021 - Health Systems
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great time off benefit, 6 weeks of paid vacation. Some teams struggle to be able to use it, however, due to workload/client commitments. If you do good work under the right management, you are likely to have opportunities for career growth.

Cons

Leadership is the #1 problem at Healthgrades. They are not held accountable for making promises to clients for things that don't exist and for which there is no plan. You're just expected to make it happen and if you don't deliver (despite lack of resources and support) you're going to serve as a scapegoat. I have seen over the past year especially that leadership has disengaged, the culture is turning toxic, pay and benefits are decreasing, there is less transparency and fewer actual results.

10 people found this review helpful
    3. 1.0
      Former Employee

Squandering strong market position with disorganization and office politics

May 2, 2021 - Marketing
      Business Outlook

Pros

Exceptional PTO and the chance to work with a strong portfolio of services for consumer and B2B audiences.

Cons

While the portfolio has strong footing in Healthgrades' markets, the company has weakened its outlook with poor management. Leadership seems voracious to acquire smaller businesses, but their lack of execution, product management acumen and operational competency compromises many of the benefits their acquisitions should provide. When I worked there, leadership splurged for a company that was struggling and didn't have a compelling portfolio. Almost all the employees from the acquired company soon quit after coming to Healthgrades. In the end, I question if these acquisitions do much more than drain cash from the company. Leadership also wanted to be innovative but didn't show the discipline or know-how needed to learn their customers' needs, develop relevant products and craft effective go-to-market strategies. I saw smart, organized and gritty product developers leave the company, because they couldn't see a way to get anything done. Personally, I found it difficult to do anything more than spin my wheels. Further more, if I tried to add value, it often made some people insecure. Office politics and idiosyncratic management practices made it difficult to roll up my sleeves. I worked with some smart, driven people, but there were too many hurdles to accomplish much.

4 people found this review helpful
    4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Passionate about the business, people, and consumer.

Mar 15, 2021 - Senior Director in Atlanta, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

HG offers so many opportunities to learn under some very smart leaders. The passion for the products we support drives the user experience, helping people connect to the best doctor or hospital for their needs. The business is also small enough where you can feel the impacts of your contributions. Generous ETO and WFH policies.

Cons

There are a few areas where we still act like a startup, but we're too big for that. There are pros and cons to being agile, sometimes we move too quickly and need to learn when it's appropriate to say no. HG is a smaller company compared to other major publishers in the area, and along with that comes more expensive health insurance programs.

1 person found this review helpful
    5. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Long hours building vaporware

Mar 2, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

The other engineers were interesting and hard-working people

Cons

Healthgrades acquired a company called "Evariant" and replaced several of their C-suite executives for the "health system division" with those from Evariant. The new CTO made no attempt to forge good relationships between the original Healthgrades employees and the Evariant folks who came over after acquisition, instead opting to just fire a large percentage of the Healthgrades folks over the past year. Merit is not rewarded, only blind loyalty is recognized. The company as a whole takes a very "sell the product, then build the product" mentality which leads to an overwhelming amount of client commitments. The excessive client commitments demanded long hours, with some engineers working every single weekend. Employee burnout is real and several key Engineering leaders have left and not been replaced. People are forced to wear many hats outside of their job description and that effort is just expected rather than rewarded. Despite all of that effort, this work is for nothing; the client commitments are continuously delayed and features are released in a very buggy, unusable state. Instead of investing more resources to stabilize and deliver existing product lines, new product lines and teams are still being formed. This is the "vaporware" that other reviewers have referenced. Majority of employees did not receive a merit increase in 2020 nor will they receive one in 2021, despite numerous layoffs equating to everyone having increased responsibilities.

22 people found this review helpful
    6. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Unfulfilled and strained

Mar 5, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Got to work with some amazingly talented individuals!

Cons

The business direction from upper management has been questionable throughout the past several years. I worked in what felt like a golden era at Healthgrades in which we were executing on our core competencies and seeing growth in the consumer and health systems businesses. In the past several years, the acquisitions of several companies have led to a complete restructuring of the health systems organization and with it the ousting of top talent and their critical industry knowledge. The terminations of top performing and hard working individuals, whether it be due to COVID-19 or other reasons, has been persistent in 2021 as well. The strategy of building vaporware for a couple of high-paying clients in conjunction with poorly staffed teams and a mix of company cultures creates a high pressure environment in which employees are celebrated for working long hours and around the clock on weekends. The culture is one of high output but low quality. Working in this environment for an extended period of time took a toll on my wellbeing and ultimately left me feeling unfulfilled and strained.

19 people found this review helpful
    7. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Analytics and Insights Team

Apr 27, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work from home currently, decent pay

Cons

High turnover, too many structural changes, poor culture, no growth opportunities, high workload

2 people found this review helpful
    8. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great experience in my three years

Mar 15, 2021 - Advertising Operations Manager in Atlanta, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Overall, I would recommend Healthgrades to job seekers. -Tons of paid vacation -Flexibility to work from home (even before the pandemic) -Company really follows through on their core values -Friendly people -Good pay -Nice offices -Leadership seems to genuinely want you to succeed and grow

Cons

Not a lot of cons that I've experienced, and the ones I can think of are kind of nit-picky. -Lots of acronyms -- the new-employee package should include a Healthgrades dictionary -Priorities/products can change often/quickly (although to be fair, that's one of their core values: moving fast) -CEO isn't exactly inspiring -- he might be great at the nitty-gritty aspects of the job, but is a poor public speaker and motivator, although the division leaders under him are much better

Be the first to find this review helpful
    9. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Amazing colleagues, toxic culture

Mar 2, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Learned a ton by working with several very smart people. Supposedly had unlimited PTO, but never actually took any.

Cons

The charges of vaporware being sold are true. The products could be good if enough time was provided and engineers weren't worked to death, which is the norm. It doesn't seem to matter how many nights and weekends a person puts in; this place and its senior management value loyalty over merit 100% of the time. Utterly unqualified people are placed in positions of power because they are chummy with management, while the line workers in engineering and product toil day and night to pull miracles off for clients with unrealistic expectations (facilitated by leadership). Products are sold before the design even is put on paper. The executive team rules by fear and intimidation, and cult of personality prevails. Actually good work is not rewarded, and speaking up with one's opinion is punished. Misogyny and a favoritism toward men of South Asian ancestry are rampant in the product and engineering org. Your career will probably stagnate here. The CEO has bet on the wrong horse.

14 people found this review helpful
    10. 4.0
      Former Employee

Good place to work, consolidating business focus

Mar 23, 2021 - Senior User Experience Designer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good work life balance, decent pay, good culture

Cons

Business keeps changing to adapt, might be left behind, some legacy products that are hard to keep in good shape.

1 person found this review helpful