Healthgrades Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
Scott Booker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • good work life balance, possible great place to work with some changes (in 18 reviews)

• A lot of smart people that are easy to work with, but also people that I hang out with socially as well (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • At times it's hard to find work life balance (in 8 reviews)

• No one, including management, seems to know where the company is headed (in 9 reviews)

"Analyst"

I worked at Healthgrades full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work that Healthgrades does has a real impact on patient lives. The quality of care provided by physicians in America is striated, yet patients currently have no way of prospectively evaluating where their prospective physician fits into the quality distribution. The data assets and patient exposure that Healthgrades enjoys has the power to put that information in front of 1mm patients/day. The work people do at Healthgrades matters and can be a source of purpose for every member of the Company.

The people at Healthgrades are incredibly intelligent, hard-working, and fun to work with. I learned a lot working here and met colleagues I hope to continue to work with later in my career.

The perks and compensation at Healthgrades are top notch. I do think there is a bit of a "wage gap" in some areas, but I also think Healthgrades pays above market in other. If I had to guess, the overcompensation and under-compensation cancel each other out.

Cons

To job applicants - The organizational challenges listed in other comments are very real. During your interview I encourage you to explore your role's decision rights and delve into what areas of the business you will be able to impact. Don't fall for red herring job descriptions. Just because a position is defined as having agency over a certain part of the business does not mean you will actually be able to impact it. Ask your future boss/interviewer for examples of past success in their career (as well as successes of the person you're backfilling).

To current employees - Please don't get bogged down in all of the cons and try to focus on the positives. It's hard, but someone needs to execute on HG's mission. I thought it would be me, but unfortunately it was not. Just keep your head down and continue to put the patient first.

Advice to Management

You are in an industry where the opportunity to provide your employees with purpose and impact are limitless. Harness that.

Layoffs aren't immoral or unjust, but prioritizing dogma/circumstance and harboring cronyism is. Make sure that you can honestly say that you're doing the best thing for the patient and your employees when making a decision. In this industry, you can do right by your key stakeholders (patients and employees in this example) and shareholder returns will follow as returns are measured in influence.

"Lack of executive leadership"

I have been working at Healthgrades full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a great place to work. We solve for really interesting challenges in healthcare marketing and there are tons of opportunities to do new and interesting things.

Cons

The executive team doesn't seem to get along nor have a clear plan or strategy. I causes a lot of strife with the teams and a lot of re-work. There is also an incredible lack of female leadership at the executive level. It's amazing how many women are in medium management and only one token female (HR) at the executive level. I don't think there are even any Senior VPs that are women.

Advice to Management

Get a plan and stick with it for more than a couple of months. And add more women to your executive team. Seriously, there are so many studies that show that companies that have women in the C-suite and on the Board, perform better.

"Sinking ship with no one at the helm"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Madison, WI

I worked at Healthgrades full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Used to be a great place to work, had flexibility to work from home, great when having kids, campus is great, good vacation. Interesting work, very nice people on teams.

Cons

CEO and Chief People Person are very out of touch. CEO has ties to vendors which seems to be a conflict of interest. CPP bases her decisions on her feelings towards people v. Real data. No senior leadership based in Madison in over a year.

Advice to Management

Remove CEO and CPP, listen to the employees doing the actual work, stop promising clients concepts. Hire managers who know the business instead of hiring your friends.

"Management surplus, leadership vacancy"

I have been working at Healthgrades full-time

Pros

Benefits, work/life balance, great culture amongst co-workers, get to work with smart people every day

Cons

So many VP’s taking top-down direction from a feature/date-driving CTO who changes vision with every season and has no idea who the people are that are actually doing the work.

Advice to Management

Top talent is overworked and overstretched due to unreasonable timelines and expectations. Would love to see some actual leadership come through, even if they aren’t one of the good ol’ boys.

"Outsiders aren't welcome"

Former Employee - Bindery Operator in Middleton, WI
    Former Employee - Bindery Operator in Middleton, WI

I worked at Healthgrades full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Reasonable pay, excellent benefits, and lots of fun interactions between coworkers

Cons

Certain areas have a "family" sense to them, and if you aren't from that family, they don't accept your word or your ideas. I was treated unfairly in a lot of situations because they couldn't believe the "family" member would do that.

Advice to Management

Actually investigate claims made by employees, and back it up with evidence, instead of believing the word of one.

Healthgrades Response

Dec 4, 2017 – SVP HR

Thank you for taking the time to submit this feedback. I am sorry that your experience was not completely positive. We recently added a confidential hotline and we investigate all employee... More

"Look Elsewhere"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Healthgrades full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are some great people who still work here. They offer six weeks vacation a year. Some teams are able to keep a flexible schedule with work from home days.

Cons

The company is flailing. They just cut ~10% of the staff, and it seems like there could be even more cuts. They are actively trying to sell the company ASAP, so there's not much stability or consistency in the near future here.

It used to be a lot better place to work, but I'd only recommend it now to someone who is really desperate for a job. And even then, I'd warn that it will be a constant struggle. You have to be okay with constant chaos and daily struggles.

Leadership gives little to no direction, and when they do make a decision, it changes the next day. It's almost impossible to get anything done that actually impacts the company's goals because those goals are constantly changing. Leadership is lacking in every reasonable area of leadership.

The reviews on here are absolutely true, except the ones that have clearly been planted as positive reviews.

Advice to Management

Follow your own stated company values. Take a hard look at the values you claim the company represents and ask yourself if you're truly upholding those. I think you'll find there's quite a bit of room for improvement, starting with the value "Be Transparent."

"Read the other Reviews: Stay Far Away"

Current Employee - Senior Leader
    Current Employee - Senior Leader

I have been working at Healthgrades full-time

Pros

ealthgrades - as a company, replete with its leaders and culture - has striking similarities to another group: to understand the brokenness and toxicity of Healthgrades, study the current presidential administration.

We are taught in school to provide a balanced view of our experiences. "Don't just focus on the bad; look for the good." That is difficult to do for Healthgrades. When a plane is crashing, what is the good? "This breeze streaming in through the shattered windows is nice." "I feel so alive right now!" "It's pleasant to have all the trifling things in my life melt away so I can focus on what's really important!" But at the end of the day, the plane is going down. It will crash.

So here are the positives about Healthgrades, in no order of priority:
    Healthgrades provides an exceptional example of how not to operate a company; how not to lead (it is ripe to be a Harvard Case Study)
    There is tea and coffee available in the breakrooms

Cons

Imagine the classic Recycle, Reduce, Reuse logo. It's a feedback loop. Each activity impacts the preceding and the following activity. I mention this because I could choose any number of places to jump in and outlines what is broken at Healthgrades and it will lead and impact multiple other bad behaviors. But let's start with the most critical piece, the piece that we will continually return to: leadership. There is no escaping the fact that leadership is exceptionally toxic at Healthgrades. Having been in multiple industries and companies, Healthgrades possesses the worst leadership I've seen in my two decades of work.

First, leadership is spineless. Healthgrades has - for years - been led by people who are unwilling to make tough decisions. They are more than happy to collect a large paycheck, but fundamentally do not understand that they earn that paycheck by making discrete choices. It's easy to say yes to everything. It's tough to make bets and say no so you can focus on the organization.

Second, leaders are unable to focus, because the senior leadership team is a confederation of individual kingdoms, with each leader constantly working to expand his or her own fiefdom. This is most clear with one of the current leaders. His mode of operation is to reach into multiple other areas of responsibility - without the authority to do so - and begin to act and move resources at his whim. He has actively worked to create confusion and duplication of resources in his departments so we can undermine the efforts and authority of others in the organization. What is worse is his own departments are on fire, have not been able to deliver on their purpose within the organization, while this leader busies himself with blaming others and expanding his personal Q score.

Yet he has been allowed to do so. And other leaders see this happening, so they begin to adopt the same tactics. Rather than state "I will not be complicit in this farce" these leaders decide to adapt to it. Why? Because of fear. Healthgrades is rules by a persistent, ubiquitous culture of fear. One leader is fearful of another, because he is more connected to the ownership group. Another is fearful of all leaders because she generally doesn't want to get caught in the crossfire. The Sales Leaders are fearful of their own people, because go-forbid they actually ask their sales people to actually come off the golf course to do their jobs!

So the fear manifests itself in multiple ways. Groups/Committees/etc. are brought together to make decisions, but it doesn't matter what anyone says in that meeting. People will agree and then get sabotaged. And when they are sabotaged, that person blames others. And the cycle continues.

You could, and should, expect a leader - who is fully aware of this behavior - to do something about this. He can't. He is a figurehead. An emperor without clothes. There is a shadow leader for Healthgrades, protected by board members and whose personal mandate is hidden to everyone below the senior level.

But here is the issue with this leader: he is not a business leader. He is not ruled by sound business decision making. He cannot converse or make decisions based on a metered, business assessment. He resides in the Atlanta office where senior leaders with offer shifty-eyed endorsements of his 'genius,' fearful that they ever be questioned on their true thoughts about his capabilities. If audience is required with him, it is to make sure he will not become a hindrance, to ensure that he can just be convinced to acquiesce. He neither listens to what is said to him nor to what he really says in response. He puts his faith in his instincts (which are poor and based on lucking into previous success). He is pampered and surrounded by lackeys, groveling for the scraps. And other leaders are too easily satisfied with this arrangement.

There was a glimmer of hope 12-18 months ago. There appeared a reasonable group that had arrived to help build a team approach and take pride in a hard days work. New blood was brought in. The leadership team and the Board appeared to recognize that the old way, the toxic culture, was undermining their own interests.

As of this week, that is revealed to have been false hope. Healthgrades has announced more changes. There has been a leadership reshuffling, and the leaders that were shining a light on the dysfunction AND providing the right solutions, have been escorted out the building. The old guard, the old culture, has won out. The talk of "a new day" and "changing our ways" 12-18 months ago, was more theater. The long tenured leaders were being found out (which has been apparent to the rest of the organization for years) and they circled the wagons. They aren't done picking the last bits of meat off the bones of the company.

I could go on. But then it just starts to become noise. The reviews on Glassdoor are accurate. I didn't trust them. I expected I could be a part of the change. Some things are too far gone.

The summary: stay far away from Healthgrades. I 'survived' the reduction of force announced this week. I'm actively making plans for my own exit.

Advice to Management

Retire yourselves (you have no spine)
    Sell the company (to a group with the conviction to do what needs to be done)

"Something has to be done or no one will Win..."

I worked at Healthgrades full-time

Pros

Great co-workers who all want to provide the best product to get things done (these are the people who are actually doing the work).

Frequent employee team building events (over the past year these are being reduced or scaled backed)

Cons

More VPs than a bank (including a new job title: Associate VP). One VP will hire a buddy as a VP. Most of the VPs work out of their “home office”. No training completed for employees at this level (employees at this level should be able to log into a product and demo it). It is to the point now there are more VPs and Directors of Client Development than there are clients.

Multiple rounds of staff reduction and offshoring jobs (except for VP positions).

Focusing on way too many products with not enough staff to help develop/maintain it. This feedback has been provided by many over the past 2 years.

Advice to Management

Focus on what the customer wants, even if it means going in the red for a few years. Reducing headcount (the people who are doing the work) just to meet your financial goals leads to more work with fewer people, which leads to people looking elsewhere.

Don’t ask employees to post positive reviews on Glassdoor, instead of addressing the real problems. Please see the huge spike in reviews in Feb 2016.

Be truthful with what the future (consolidation) is for Healthgrades so employees can make their own decision if they want to be part of it. Large new building coming soon in Denver and fewer and fewer employees in Madison.

"Stay Away!"

Current Employee - Engineer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Engineer in Denver, CO

I have been working at Healthgrades full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Get to work with some newer technologies, some of the engineers are nice.

There's coffee and tea in the breakroom (but the water tastes terrible)...

Cons

This is the most toxic environment I have ever seen in my career. The reviews on Glassdoor are accurate (except the fake good ones), anyone that takes a position at Healthgrades has been warned. C level leaders are poisonous, petty, and vindictive. CIO is worthless, he sabotages the company while he fools the ownership. I’ve never seen a company treat its talented and kind employees so horribly while they promote the least talented and ruthless employees. HR is worse than uninvolved, they actively work to protect and promote bad behavior. Just scan their lame responses to every bad review and you will start to understand their smokescreen and ineptness. This is a company laying off talented engineers in a good economy. Ask yourself why a company would layoff great engineers but keep a myriad of VPs that don't do anything but fight? Clearly they are not done squeezing out every last penny to their personal coffers. The outlook is grim. Any hope that the ship will be righted has now been evicerated. Management constantly pivots to generate work and mask their failures. The company is literally downsizing to a smaller old school open office space - a 1980’s style sweatshop a la “9 to 5”. I'm trying to find another job right now, as fast as I can! Stay away unless you want your career to suffer. Worst. Company. Ever.

Advice to Management

Quit your jobs.

"Rudderless Ship"

Current Employee - Vice President in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Vice President in Denver, CO

I have been working at Healthgrades full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The employees are hard working, committed and good to work with. The business category is very exciting and dynamic with lots of opportunity.

Cons

The CEO is not active or engaged in driving the business. A good manager, but not a leader which has caused a lack of alignment and support from the executive management and leadership teams. Employees see this and it causes the ship to be wavering in the sea with no rudder. The new executive hires have flopped and the revolving door continues.
    Decision making is not clear and often results in no decision and very little execution.

HR leadership could be helpful to build moral and alignment but has instead turned a positive energized culture into a culture that lacks trust and desire to execute.

Advice to Management

Gain alignment at the top, stop the revolving door, clean up HR leadership and get engaged vs managing from afar.