HireRight Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jurgen Leijdekker

Pros
  • Work life balance is the best here (in 11 reviews)

• Professional" employees treated well with bonuses and allowed to work from home (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life balance can be an issue - you work hard here but for those who do it is rewarding (in 5 reviews)

• Upper management needs to communicate better with it's employees (in 8 reviews)

1. "New Employee Hiring Process"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at HireRight full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The team that assisted me with completing my background, my education and my work experience was great. They made my hiring process very easy by keeping me informed with status updates and by processing my documents in a timely fashion.
     They were professional at all times and made sure that my hiring process was not long and drawn out.

Cons

I don't have a Cons at the moment.

"Bitter sweet..."

Former Employee - Data Coordinator in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Data Coordinator in Charlotte, NC

I worked at HireRight full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Team building, nice people to work with.

Cons

Micro-management to the 10th power. Must document every minute of your shift...literally. High turn-over.

3. "Really varies by department"

I have been working at HireRight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall the company has been doing a lot to improve culture and improve all things related to HR, so gotta give them a lot of credit there.

Cons

I know people in some departments who are not happy and people in other departments that are feeling great about things. FYI, bonuses don't always fully fund.

Advice to Management

Any real culture change is going to have to start at the top, and be led by example by those at the top. Whatever is happening up there ends up trickling down to everyone else.

Apr 26, 2017 – CHRO

Thank you very much. We’re glad you’ve noticed our efforts to transform the environment at HireRight. We feel like we’ve made many improvements and are impressed by how many people want to get ... More

"It's like a box of chocolates. You never know what you are putting in your mouth."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at HireRight full-time

Pros

Good resource for learning the ins and outs of the background reporting business.

Cons

As of January 1, 2017 the three weeks vacation from day one of employment was eliminated and a vacation accrual system was put in place. Employees cannot take vacation unless it has been accrued and no vacation can carry over like it had in the past. Employees receive 40 hours of personal/sick leave that is payable for both scheduled and non-scheduled leave; any non-scheduled day out of the office is an occurrence and could result in termination at the 5th day. In other words, if you are out of the office sick for 2 days, each of those days is an occurrence. Rule of thumb: If it's a good thing it won't last long. Management is in the process of consolidating various department jobs. We will be performing multiple work streams for the same pay. Used to be we would be promoted with a pay increase. Now we will be doing the work of multiple people without getting any more pay. Very little training and way too much multitasking makes for a lot of errors and stress. Management is not forthcoming with information on many things and is evasive when questioned.

Advice to Management

Don't wait until employees ask questions to be forthcoming with corporate and organizational plans. If we are truly valued employees we should be included in what the goals and plans for the corporation are. Reevaluate your career development programs to fast track people into other areas of work. Qualified individuals should not have to wait a year for a promotion when open positions are being recruited from outside the company like the recent verification positions that came open this year. Disguising the posting as "confidential" also makes it look like the company is intentionally choosing not to offer development opportunities to existing employees.

Apr 14, 2017 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback and the clever title. We appreciate the shot of personality and take your comments very seriously. We changed the structure of our vacation/sick policy to be more ... More

6. "Opportunity for the right person"

I have been working at HireRight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Let's get the stuff out of the way you have likely already read: great vacation (available from day 1 including 3 weeks of vacation, 1 week of sick pay and 2 floating holidays a year; vacation increases at 2 and 5 years), 401k matches 4%, and medical/dental/vision benefits from day one as well.
    Now in my personal experience so far....there are a lot of opportunities to grow here. You just have to want it. Be open and flexible, upfront about your goals, and willing to stretch yourself to learn things you may not be super familiar with, and you will quickly be promoted to one of a lot of different available directions, including customer service, public records, verifications, account management/coordination, management, sourcing, HR, data entry, and recruiting.

Cons

Very frustrating sometimes because policies seem to shift regularly, you see people in positions above yours who don't seem to be able to do as much as you, and I see a lack of accountability in some departments that make you want to pull your hair out. Bonuses in my department are a joke....really hard to get and don't match what kind of effort some people put in to their job. Nobody is going to be perfect I guess.
    Also...medical deductible is really high. Overall though I have to say this is a great company to work for and diverse enough in departments that you can never get bored.

Advice to Management

Look at bonus structures that actually reward people enough to be motivated.

Apr 14, 2017 – CHRO

Thank you for your review. We certainly appreciate your efforts to provide a true picture of our company as you’ve experienced it and we’re glad you see opportunities for people who are interested in ... More

"Look Somewhere Else"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Nashville, TN

I have been working at HireRight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Honestly, the only thing that keeps me coming back to work are the friends I have made there. Everyone gets along with everyone, minus anyone at the supervisor level and up.

Cons

Where to start, we CURRENTLY has a bed bug infestation. It has been an issue since October 2016!! They are just NOW doing something about, and by something I mean the absolutely bare minimum. They honestly do not care, it seems to be an incoveinence for them when we have any type of issue. Upper managemet is terrible, point blank. Extreme micromanaging, we're grown adults and they monitor us like we're children. The new hires get paid more than other people who have been with the company more than 1 year and only know one skill where most of us know 2+ They try to deny it, but I know for a fact. HR does not doing anything as it has been addressed multiple times. They make it very hard to move up or move to different departments; there is ALWAYS an added stipulation "well now you have to . . ." blah blah blah it's getting old. They screw people over, point blank period. Let's see what else, they want everyone to be multi-skilled and be able to help in all areas of customer care, but with no raise. They are the only company I have ever heard of who won't give you a raise when moving into a higher position, they give it to you AFTER, but only if you make your metrics, and when you do you still won't get it.

Advice to Management

Honestly no comment, there is literally nothing they can do to make anything better. It's just all down hill, little do they know everyone is lookig for new jobs.

Apr 26, 2017 – CHRO

Thank you for your candid review and the opportunity to clear up some misconceptions. The health and safety of our colleagues in the workplace is of utmost importance to HireRight. Sightings of ... More

8. "Positive Momentum"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at HireRight full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great working environment,colleagues, and overall commitment to success. Strong focus on candidate and recruiter experience, customer service/support, global growth, new solutions.

Cons

Unfortunately, we can't accelerate/do everything all at once.

Advice to Management

Stick with key priorities

Feb 27, 2017 – CHRO

Thanks very much. We’re glad you agree that we’re heading in a positive direction. We think you’ll see us sharpen our focus as we move through the year. We want to advance the things that contribute ... More

"Look elsewhere"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Corona, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Corona, CA

I have been working at HireRight full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are some really wonderful people at HireRight. Good PTO policy

Cons

- moved to a parking structure that is a 5-7 minute walk to the office.

- SMEs are often promoted to management without any management experience or training.

- Has changed to a culture of blame where everyone is looking out for himself

- Low morale that the company seems to have no interest in correcting.

- employees don't have a voice. Decisions are made in a vacuum by people who do not understand the impact to the employees or the business.

- almost all roles have turned operational. How much can you do and how fast can you do it? This causes people to put bandaids on issues and move forward without resolution.

- company is very reactive instead of proactive

- high turnover in the last few years. The people leaving are the people who are good at their jobs and see the direction HireRight is heading.
    - Little to no communication when someone does leave the business.

- they seem to be pulling people over from First Advantage and implementing their processes. What has made HireRight successful in the past is forging our own way. I'm very surprised at how little the FADV people know.

- poor training for new hires

- Very inexperienced and unresponsive HR team

- Each new CEO comes in with their own agenda and the company changes until the next CEO comes along. The ultimate goal for each CEO is to make us as profitable as possible (at the expense of the employees and clients) so that we can sell they can get richer.

- horrible health insurance. Only one option

- work/life balance used to be great. The last CEO took away work from home and it hasn't been restored.

Advice to Management

There's really no point.

Jan 11, 2017 – CHRO

Thank you for a very thorough review. We’re sure you’ve seen a lot of change in over 10 years here and we welcome your insights. Please consider meeting with your people leader or HR partner and ... More

"HireRight"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orange, CA

I worked at HireRight (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employees are dedicated to their work.
    They offer a much needed and relevant service.

Cons

Employee and management turnover was frequent.
    Lack of clear direction for the growth of the company.

Dec 19, 2016 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. We have experienced a lot of change in the last few years, and some very positive growth as we continue to focus on improving our customers’ and candidates’ experience ... More

"Sales Development"

Current Employee - Sales Development Team in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Development Team in Irvine, CA

I have been working at HireRight full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company itself has some issues, but the sales development role is a good starting spot to transition into a sales role. It is a lot of calling but no cold calling and you are gaining skills that will transition over to full time sales.

Cons

That being said there needs to be more training and learning about the business itself. In the sales development role I feel like there is so much more that I can learn and that is not being taken advantage of.

Advice to Management

Take the sales development team and teach them more about the company and industry ir just how to sell in general.

Dec 19, 2016 – CHRO

Thank you for sharing your experience. Our sales team is an important part of our business and we want them to feel knowledgeable about all our services, and sales/product training is an important ... More